Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “World Without Fish” as Want to Read:
World Without  Fish
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

World Without Fish

by
3.85  ·  Rating details ·  703 ratings  ·  132 reviews
Mark Kurlansky, beloved award-winning and bestselling author, offers a riveting, uniquely illustrated, narrative nonfiction account for kids about what’s happening to fish, the oceans, and our environment, and what kids can do about it.

World Without Fish has been praised as “urgent” (Publishers Weekly) and “a wonderfully fast-paced and engaging primer on the key questions
...more
Hardcover, 192 pages
Published April 1st 2011 by Workman Publishing Company
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about World Without Fish, please sign up.
Popular Answered Questions
Kaitlynn I, uh, don't think you know how this site works. Try a local library.

Community Reviews

Showing 1-30
3.85  · 
Rating details
 ·  703 ratings  ·  132 reviews


More filters
 | 
Sort order
Anh
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5* cho mức độ đáng đọc và thú vị của cuốn sách này!!!
Hình minh họa siêu đẹp + cách dàn trang + kích thước font chữ cũng khiến cho người đọc không cảm thấy khô khan hay nhàm chán với các kiến thức khoa học và nghiên cứu thực tiễn
Cơ mà thích nhất là mấy câu trích dẫn nhỏ trong Nguồn gốc các loài của Darwin.
Bạn nào yêu thích và muốn tìm hiểu về đại dương có thể tìm đọc :)
Trung Rwo
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Một cuốn sách nhập môn dễ đọc, đầy thú vị nói về toàn cảnh đại dương và ngư nghiệp đang dần tuyệt chủng dưới sức ép của sự nóng lên toàn cầu, ô nhiễm và săn bắt quá mức. Nhưng rõ ràng, đối tượng giáo dục của cuốn sách là dành cho người trẻ, đặc biệt là trẻ em - các chủ nhân tương lai.

Sử dụng các luận điểm trong "Nguồn gốc các loài" của Darwin, tác giả gợi lại những mối liên kết giữa con người với vạn vật và cảnh tỉnh sự biến đổi của cá sẽ ảnh hưởng tới Trái Đất ra sao. Với những fact và opinion
...more
India
Jan 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Good book! I learned a lot and my daughter is angrier than ever about the way we treat the planet.
Rachel
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a great nonfiction read for middle school, full of pictures and accessible information about how fishing has such a huge impact on the environment.
Erica
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I picked this book up because it combines a few of my interests - fisheries management and comic books! - without realizing it was written specifically for middle school / high school students. I'm not sure it really succeeds as a comic book - the illustrations didn't always feel very well integrated into what felt much more like a text book - but it was in informative explanation of the magnitude and complexity of global fisheries challenges. Reading a book like this makes me so sad, though, ab ...more
Maggie Dunlap
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Fish, despite often being small and underwhelming, are vital to Earth successfully existing. World Without Fish, written by Mark Kurlansky, tells just why fish are so important to the Earth, and what it would be like without them. Using simple language and colorful pictures, Kurlansky gives the reader a glimpse into a what a world without fish would really be like. He uses choice facts and descriptions to give the reader an in-depth understanding of over-fishing, how it came to be, the effects a

...more
Lynnette Dinh
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This review has been hidden because it contains spoilers. To view it, click here.
Thi
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: informative
Quyển này mình đọc chỉ trong 2 ngày, một điều không thường xảy ra khi mình đọc non-fic. Phải nói là từng thông tin một trong sách đều vô cùng mới mẻ và cuốn hút. Bản thân tác giả đã từng là ngư dân nên ông hiểu rất rõ về nghề đánh bắt cá, tình trạng đánh bắt cá trái phép/ vượt mức quy định cũng như sự ô nhiễm đại dương đã và đang giết chết loài cá như thế nào. Những vấn đề tác giả đề cập đến trong sách dựa vào quan sát, nghiên cứu của chính bản thân, số liệu thông kê quốc tế cũng như dựa trên họ ...more
Erin Reilly-Sanders
I think that Kurlansky has some really important information here to get across and makes important references to several organizations for more information. His balanced perspective between fishermen, environmentalists, and scientists is perhaps the best thing about the book, despite the gendered word "fishermen," and seems to really present an honest portrait of the situation. Unfortunately, the book has many problems with it. It does not include references for Kurlansky's research which is no ...more
Brendan
I largely agree with the most liked comment, the illustrations tend to take away rather than add. Also not really enough illustration to be considered a graphic novel. Ok written content, I learned a bit but the book is more aimed at this with little knowledge on the subject. It would be best in the hands of an adolescent, contains some basic info on mainstream activism as well. I've read "Salt" and "Basque History" before, this made me want to check out "Cod."
Kasey Farren
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
My students and I read this book for our environmental studies unit, but I'm counting it towards my reading goal because honestly, I probably read this thing four or five times while creating lesson plans.
Emily
May 25, 2018 rated it liked it
(3.5 stars) I just (this week) included this book as a nonfiction book club option in my summer Children's Literature class. I'd read Kurlansky's Cod a number of years ago and thought this might be science/environment option that would appeal to some of my students. As a turned out, only one student chose to read it, but she and I had a GREAT conversation while everyone else in class talked about other texts.

We both felt that the information in the book was interesting, well-argued, and rich wi
...more
Erin
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fascinating overview of the oceans, and the far-reaching consequences of our actions. I did not find the visual formatting distracting, instead the chunks of larger font broke up otherwise unending text. I thought the comic within the text was a little heavy-handed, but certainly got its message across in a way that might not be so easy just in text.

Bits of interest:
"The government, unfortunately, never acted, but it is clear that the ensuing tragedy of the next hundred years was plainly predi
...more
Rachel
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Informative, easy-to-read, and just a great book for tweens. World Without Fish looks at the history, the present, and the future reality of our waters and the creatures that live within them. It explores the various reasons they are in their present dilemma, and what it would mean if they were to be depleted further. The author uses a conversational style to make the book accessible, and different fonts, colours, and sizes within the text to give it a voice, and impart the urgent nature of this ...more
Shelli
This was a very informative read for nearly all ages that should be shared and discussed in each and every school and home. Our very existence is tied with the oceans but little by little humans are killing off another piece of it; while the seas maybe vast they are slowly but surely all being poisoned and their inhabitants are becoming extinct. A World Without Fish is brutally honest, and at times hard to read, but realistic in showing how truly complex this problem is for our planet, not only ...more
Phương Đỗ Trần
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Amazing
It is just not a book, it is like a huge research, with so much important, unbelieveable and useful information about you-thought-you-knew oceans and its under life. People knew that the enviroment has been destroyed, but we are so hesitant. The book shows us what really are the problem, the point of the pollution, and recommend us what we can do, and it is just so simple.
And I just love the artwork, it is so lively.

Please check my English and tell me if you see any grammar mistake in my
...more
Khoa Các
Sách cung cấp được những kiến thức bổ ích về các loài cá và ngành ngư nghiệp, giới thiệu một cái nhìn toàn diện về thế giới loài cá, lý do nguồn thủy sản dần cạn kiệt và những biện pháp bảo vệ loài cá. Tuy nhiên, có vẻ cách tiếp cận khá dễ hình dung đã khiến cuốn sách có phần khá dễ dãi, những ý tưởng và lý luận mà tác giả đưa ra chưa thể khiến người đọc thỏa mãn và gật gù tâm đắc. Sách phù hợp với những người mới nhập môn để có cái nhìn bao quát về sinh vật biển nói riêng và ngành ngư nghiệp nó ...more
Wendi
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love the premise of this book, and the layout. I also appreciate how Kurlansky lays out the interconnection among multiple parties, and their impacts on fish, with resulting impacts on humans. The cycle itself is so complex, I think he does a great job breaking it down into accessible chunks, although I couldn't really tell which age group would benefit most from this book!
Chelscrae
Jul 02, 2018 rated it did not like it
Despite being written with good intentions, it mixed up cellular respiration and photosynthesis saying that photosynthesis produced carbon dioxide when, in fact, that is just the opposite. With such a massive inaccuracy I couldn't trust the reliability of the source and had to put it down without finishing- a shame for such a vital message.
Mrs. Sottiriou
Feb 20, 2019 rated it liked it
While the information is interesting and I did enjoy the pictures as well as the side information, I found the suggestions of what we could do at the end of the book to really fall flat. I also would have appreciated a chapter on what impact having low fish populations would have on the world at large. It really needed this information to make a more compelling case.
Ben
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thought that this was one of the strongest books I've ever read. By strongest, I mean that this book was written with deep meaning and very impactful information. I highly recommend this book if you want a reading challenge or are interested in fish depletion(populations going extinct) and learning about what is happening to our delicate world.
Olivia Cuthbertson
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful informational text! It captures the reader and makes them want to get out and make a difference in our oceans!!!! The choices in font changes, the Mini graphic novel that is embedded within the text is great for those who struggle to make the picture come to life in their head.
Hau Kim
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
An attractive science book. I do believe we are badly ruinning naturally favorable livings of a million&million of fishes. We are also being suffered without notice. Now we can save ourselve as being smart and kind consumers.

And that book tells us how.
GaT
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vietnamese
An attractive science book. I do believe we are badly ruinning naturally favorable livings of a million&million of fishes. We are also being suffered without notice. Now we can save ourselve as being smart and kind consumers. And that book tells us how.
- KiHa
- https://gatbook.org/books/16892
Sarah
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book for younger folks or interested adults about the state of the fisheries in the world, with a balanced look at scientists' and fishermens' observations and opinions. Very well done.
Erin
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very informative, students in my sixth grade class enjoyed it, interesting layout/ graphics
Sarah
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really found this book interesting. I'm motivated to learn more about sustainable fishing, to question the fish I currently eat, and to consider incorporating more small fish into my diet.
ScienceTeacher321
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating!!!
Jennifer
A well-researched YA book about the devastating effects of overfishing, and what people can do about it. Interesting and engaging format.
Lina
Jul 14, 2018 rated it liked it
A very informational book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »

Readers also enjoyed

  • The Case of the Vanishing Golden Frogs: A Scientific Mystery
  • No Monkeys, No Chocolate
  • Invincible Microbe: Tuberculosis and the Never-Ending Search for a Cure
  • Chernobyl's Wild Kingdom: Life in the Dead Zone
  • The Mangrove Tree: Planting Trees to Feed Families
  • The Fantastic Undersea Life of Jacques Cousteau
  • Tracking Trash: Flotsam, Jetsam, and the Science of Ocean Motion
  • Wangari Maathai: The Woman Who Planted Millions of Trees
  • Flight of the Honey Bee
  • A Cool Drink of Water
  • If Sharks Disappeared
  • Wolfsnail: A Backyard Predator
  • Red Madness: How a Medical Mystery Changed What We Eat
  • Yucky Worms
  • Ubiquitous: Celebrating Nature's Survivors
  • Just a Second
  • Thunder Birds: Nature's Flying Predators
  • A Nest Is Noisy
See similar books…
1,003 followers
Mark Kurlansky (born 7 December 1948 in Hartford, Connecticut) is a highly-acclaimed American journalist and writer of general interest non-fiction. He is especially known for titles on eclectic topics, such as cod or salt.

Kurlansky attended Butler University, where he harbored an early interest in theatre and earned a BA in 1970. However, his interest faded and he began to work as a journalist in
...more
“One of humankind's most enduring misconceptions is that of nature's bounty... the belief that nature is such a powerful force that it is indestructible.” 0 likes
“And so you have more opportunities and more responsibilities than any other generation in history.” 0 likes
More quotes…