Start by marking “Vanishing Act (Sisterhood, #15)” as Want to Read:
Vanishing Act (Sisterhood, #15)

Vanishing Act (Sisterhood #15)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  2,122 Ratings  ·  115 Reviews

It's a hot, sunny afternoon on the mountain top, and the sisters are enjoying sitting around the pool chatting and laughing, frosty glasses of lemonade to keep them cool and relaxed. It's a welcome hiatus after their last harrowing mission, and the only cloud over the happy occasion is that Charles, their mentor, is still mysteriously absent.

But amid the friendly bickering

Published January 1st 2010 by Kensington Publishing Corporation (first published January 1st 2009)

Cathy
Oct 28, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ms. Michaels has a series of books featuring the "Sisterhood." There have been about 15 novels so far. This is one of them and it brings me to a point I would like to make to writers of series books.
Chapter 1 introduces 16, count 'em, 16 characters by name. This was done in the first 3 pages. I was bombarded by these people; knew nothing about them at all. There was really no point in the book where all the relationships were explained, nothing about how all these people got together as vigilant
Cillapro
Jan 10, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book annoyed me as a new reader to the series...it can't be understood or enjoyed if you don't know the series. I found the characters to be one dimensional and silly. Come on... I know this is fiction, but really.Won't bother to finish or read the rest of the series.
Nikki
Sep 12, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: not sure that I would...
Another in the sisterhood series. Same formula, etc. Nothing new.....
Once again I am left to ask where this is all going, and when is it going to finally wrap up. Enough is enough!
Julie
Jan 23, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I keep reading because she keeps writing them but the series lost it appeal after the first 7 books. I can read them in a day so that is why I guess I keep reading but really not worth it. :)
Linda Walters
A little disappointed but holding on.
This one started out dramatic and with a surprise. A good way to start the book. It was good to re-visit all the gang again. BUT. Yes, there is a but in there, it feels a little flat at the same time. Yes, there is action and yes they are up against a couple of really evil, clever thieves. And their setup is a lot more complex and far-reaching than originally thought. The punishment? A little lack luster in my view. Completed and all the loopholes being clos
Lyn Soulia smith
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series has kept me busy in between all of the other books that I have devoured. I think this is a fun series that throws in some sadness, happy tears and anger at some of the topics they hit upon. For the most part, the endings are always pretty good. With Charles returning in this book and the characters able to spend time with their loved ones, it put a smile and chuckle in the read. I think my only complaint in this book was the outcome that was to get the identity crooks didn't seem to ...more
Swanbender2001
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a good subject for the Sisters to tackle along with the lack of a pardon for them and their continued exile and Charles return to the fold. I wasn't surprised to find Charles' return to come with consequences and am still waiting to see how he and Myra work things out between them as their love is deep but her pain is almost as deep.
Carol Holcomb
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Welcome back Charles!! The sisters continue to right wrongs. My daughter had to deal with identity theft so it touched home with me. The world with the sisterhood is a combination of one with Superman , John Wayne and Lassie!!
Christine Maynor
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would probably give this book 4.5 stars. It's a really easy read and really interesting read! But the language is the only part I had a problem with. I would still probably read more by this author because she's really good.
Christine
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, fun, fun. This one had lots of heart and an interesting plot. It moved quickly and satisfied at the end.
Angelyn
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I like the idea behind this series but felt that it was poorly written. Some language. By now in the series, she should be better.
Kathy Davie
Nov 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
Fifteenth in the Sisterhood vengeance-suspense series revolving around a group of lady vigilantes seeking justice for those who fall outside the normal legal parameters.

My Take
I know! Who knew I'd ever give this series a "4". The topic certainly doesn't hurt. The writing is still juvenile but either the immature bits have been reduced or I'm just so happy about Charles' professionalism. The whole Keystone Kops routine was o-l-d. Charles and his merry men would do a much more efficient job just
Margot
Feb 01, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I read this book on the recommendation of my sister who has read the entire series. This book is number 15 in the Sisterhood Series.

Summery: It wasn't that hard to catch on to what was going on. Here's what I figured out: There is a group of women, known as the Sisterhood, who have done something so bad that they have to hide out at a mountainside retreat. Only a pardon from the president will allow them to be free. Money does not seem to be a problem. There are also a group of people in normal
Wendy Hines
The sisters are relaxing after their last successful mission when they are abruptly spurred into action.

Harry Wong, the true love of a Yoko, a member of The Sisterhood, is devastated. Everything he has meticulously worked for is gone. The bank foreclosed on his dojo and he is up to his eyeballs in credit card debt. Harry has always paid his bills in advance, so to be the victim of identity theft stuns him.

His friend, Jack Emory, makes a few phone calls and The Sisterhood is soon on the case. But
Heather
Sisterhood #15

The Sisterhood/Vigilantes Vs Identity theft ring

Harry Wong is just another victim of identity theft. They took everything, cleaned him out, forclosed his dojo...everything. However Harry has something other victims didn't have..an inside tract to the Vigilantes. If there was any question about the Sisters taking on this case then you haven't been reading the Sisterhood novels.

It is uncovered that Harry is just another of many in the area that this has happened too. Soon the ringlea
Rhonda
It pains me to say it, as this is one of my favorite series, but at 216 pages I am not sure this book is worth the hardcover price. It was a quick read, and one could only wish that real life victims of identity theft were "made whole" in the same way the victims in this book were.

On the plus side, identity theft is an all-too-common crime and Fern Michaels handles it well. As always, she makes great use of the secondary string of characters. As an added bonus, one mystery was solved early in t
Alison
Feb 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just love the Sisters, the vigilantes and how they ensure justice is served when the justice fails. Of course I don't agree with their taking the law into their own hands and being judge and jury. But sometimes, just sometimes, the good guy has to win. In this story, one of the boyfriends of a Sister finds himself homeless and penniless as a result of identify fraud. He is literally thrown out of his dojo with the clothes on his back and not allowed to take anything that belongs to him. He soo ...more
Pat Baratta
Nov 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
15th in the Sisterhood, The Vigilantes series. I am a fan of Fern's and always enjoy her books, especially this series.

This time, Harry Wong, Yoko's [one of the Vigilantes:], boy freiend is a victim of an identity theft group. All his money, ie: bank accounts, C';s IRA's etc. are gone. His "dojo" has been foreclosed and he has been locked out with no where to go.

The tale spins about how the girls trap the culprits and restore Harry's good name. Along the way, other things transpire relative to t
Jeanette
Mar 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome! I really loved that this one's storyline was so current - identity theft and what it does to the person who's life is stolen. Harry Wong, Yoko's love and a fringe member of the Sisterhood has his identity stolen by an ID Theft Ring. Harry's Dojo was foreclosed on and padlocked with all his personal belongings inside. His bank accounts have been closed and "he's" racked up about half a million dollars in debt. This is a man who pays his bills a year ahead of schedule and only uses two cr ...more
Mark Buehl
I generally like the Sisterhood books. I want to read them all and in order now and that is what I am doing. This book left me a little let down. It has a good story and all the normal Sisterhood things that make it a good series. But, other than one of the main characters returning, the story read like a public service message about identity theft. There was a little too much getting on the soapbox and too little of the Sisterhood stuff. Other than putting the bad guys in jail and returning the ...more
Angeles
Aug 29, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While I love a book that is a quick read, this was too ... rushed/perfectly timed/fairy tale perfect ending for me.

I don't like when everything just happens to be perfect no matter what. Life is messy, after all. While i love a fairy-tale ending, not the whole story can be that way and keep me interested. I also don't like when the writing feels rushed and crammed together sloppily, as this book does.

It may be that I would like the book more if I had become invested in the Sisters from book one
Carol  MacInnis
Jun 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Jack Emery calls the sisters to advise them that Harry Wong, Yoko's love, has become the victim of an identity theft ring. His bank accounts have been closed as well as the dojo and he's been evicted. Yoko frantically tries to leave the mountain to get to her beloved, but the girls stop her so that they can regroup and make a plan for this, their next mission. With Charles still missing, the girls once again must take this mission on without his expertise.

I never tire of Fern Michaels' vigilante
Cynthia
Feb 06, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book of the Sisterhood that I have read. I don't know if it was me or the book but I really had trouble reading it. I usually really enjoy Fern Michaels but had some difficulty with this book. I think that I will have to try another "Sisterhood" book to see if that is what it was or if it was me. I have always enjoyed Fern Michaels so it will not stop me from reading her other stories.
Brenda Benoit
The only reason I keep reading this series is they are quick reads and I want to know what happens with the sisters. The first probably 6 or 7 books in the series were exciting to read and I loved what the sisters came up with to exact revenge. Now the planning is more exciting than what they end up doing to the guilty parties. This revenge plan was about as anti-climatic as they come. But I want to know what happens with the sisters so I'll keep reading the series.
Julia
Oct 28, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has an insane amount of characters. It is hard to keep track of every one and their relationships to each other. The central mystery about a gang of identity thiefs was interesting, but very convoluted. The efforts to find and capture the bad guys took a lot of people and a lot of coordination of activities. The book has a fantasy like atmosphere in that there appears to be an unlimited amount of money to carry out the Sisterhood's plans.
Lisa
Jan 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the audiobook, and really enjoyed the story. There were more characters than it was easy to keep up with, but that may have been a side effect of listening to it while driving.

My one issue with this audiobook, and it's a big one was the narrator. There are great narrators, and some who do voices wonderfully, but this was not one of them. She would have done better to just read the story with emotion, but not attempted the odd voices.
Jackye
Nov 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I forgot I had read many of the sisterhood books last year. I was plesantly surprised that this was another one of them. I may need to find the missing ones and read them.

In this book, the sisterhood tracks down a couple stealing identities. It is a plot where a detailed plan to capture the criminals is formed and executed with side stories along the way.
Zjourney
Feb 10, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm getting pretty tired of such perfect, perfect people.... And it sounds like any more our author is getting her story lines off the evening news. I'm finding Charles & that whole dynamic annoying. I bristle with nearly everything about him. That probably has more to do with me & my attitude right now than anything.... maybe...
Deb
May 03, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read about 17 of the books in the Sisterhood series and I'm sorry to say that they are beginning to get a little repetitious and a little goofy. I don't think I'm going to finish the series. The first several were very exciting and I couldn't wait to get to the next one but I had a hard time finishing Vanishing Act.
Beth
Aug 28, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fern-michaels
I love this series because the books are quick reads. I do suggest reading the books in order though because if you don't you will be very lost. (it's kind of like watching a soap opera and then missing a few episodes). I only give it three stars because there is no REAL revenge involved like in some of the other books.
  • Random Acts
  • A Gift of Joy (Delanza #2.5)
  • Kissing the Bride (Medieval, #4)
  • Star-Spangled Bride
  • Second Spring (Family Saga, #6)
  • Twilight Whispers
  • Honeymoon Suite: A Novel
  • Snagged (Regan Reilly Mystery, #2)
  • Criminal Seduction
  • The Beach Alibi (Smithson Group SG-5, #1.3)
  • Lion and Lamb: The Relentless Tenderness
  • Catholic for a Reason: Scripture and the Mystery of the Family of God
  • Never Tease a Wolf
  • A Season For Scandal: Tangled Reins & Fair Juno
  • The Loft (Memory House, #2)
  • Watch Me (The Last Stand, #3)
  • The Night Visitor
  • Trail of Secrets
Fern Michaels isn’t a person. I’m not sure she’s an entity either since an entity is something with separate existence. Fern Michaels® is what I DO. Me, Mary Ruth Kuczkir. Growing up in Hastings, Pennsylvania, I was called Ruth. I became Mary when I entered the business world where first names were the order of the day. To this day, family and friends call me Dink, a name my father gave me when I ...more
More about Fern Michaels...

Sisterhood (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Weekend Warriors (Sisterhood, #1)
  • Payback (Sisterhood, #2)
  • Vendetta (Sisterhood, #3)
  • The Jury (Sisterhood, #4)
  • Sweet Revenge (Sisterhood #5)
  • Lethal Justice (Sisterhood #6)
  • Free Fall (Sisterhood, #7)
  • Hide and Seek (Sisterhood, #8 / Rules of the Game, #1)
  • Hokus Pokus
  • Fast Track

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Lost and Found (Rock Harbor Search and Rescue #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Light Before Day
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Hold Still (Jocelyn Rush, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Still Waters (Sandhamn, #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Into the Light (The Light, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Burning Man (Gideon and Sirius, #1)
  • Disturbed
  • Cold Black Earth
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Drowned Girls (Angie Pallorino, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Guardians of the Night (Gideon and Sirius, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Man With the Golden Gun (James Bond, #13)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Beyond Belief (Emily Castles Mysteries)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
  • The Memory Child
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Finding Emma (Finding Emma Series Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lion, the Lamb, the Hunted
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lucky Ones
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Gold (Night Soldiers, #5)
  • A Small Indiscretion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Allegedly
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Octopussy and the Living Daylights (James Bond, #14)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Bones (Red Princess, #3)
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Flee (Codename: Chandler #1)
  • The Snow Garden
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hallowed Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney #5)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • While the Savage Sleeps
  • The Technologists
  • A Density of Souls
  • Plea of Insanity
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Away from the Dark (The Light, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Missing, Presumed (DS Manon, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Use
  • Emma's Secret
  • She's Not There
  • Heart Collector
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Room with a Clue (Pennyfoot Hotel #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Cold Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #3)
    $6.49 $2.00

“I think the correct expression according to Kathryn would be, ‘sit on a pointy stick and twirl around,’ or, in other words, ‘perch, pivot, and rotate.” 0 likes