Start by marking “Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates. Tom Robbins” as Want to Read:
Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates. Tom Robbins

Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates. Tom Robbins

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  24,142 Ratings  ·  1,158 Reviews
This novel introduces the most complex and compelling character Robbins has ever created. Switters is a contradiction in that he is an anarchist who works for the government and a pacifist who carries a gun.
Paperback
Published February 1st 2011 by No Exit (first published September 5th 2000)

Be the first to ask a question about Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates. Tom Robbins

Helen Ροζουλί Εωσφόρος   Vernus Portitor Arcanus Ταμετούρο   Αμούν Arnum
"ΑΓΑΠΑΩ ΤΟΝ ΕΑΥΤΟ ΜΟΥ. ΑΛΛΑ ΕΙΝΑΙ ΑΓΑΠΗ ΧΩΡΙΣ ΑΝΤΑΠΟΚΡΙΣΗ".

Σίγουρα,τεκμηριωμένα και εμπεριστατωμένα,οι ιδρωμένοι επαναστάτες που διαλογίζονται για να φτάσουν στην έσχατη πραγματικότητα του τίποτα,απεχθάνονται να αλυσοδένονται απο μονιμότητες και ιδιοκτησίες.

Αυτοί οι δολιοφθορείς της εξτρεμιστικής έμπνευσης, που αποτελούν την αντανάκλαση του θεμελιώδους νόμου του σύμπαντος και επιταχύνουν την πραγματικότητα -την οποία παραδέχονται μόνο ως εικονική- είναι το ουρλιαχτό που προέρχεται απο μια παρα
Tim Darnell
Aug 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any Humans; missing links need not apply.
Shelves: favorites
This book is by no small margin my favorite novel of all time.

First off, Switters is the greatest single character to emerge from modern literature pure and simple. Not only is he hilarious and a great role model for any law enforcement employee, but his personal philosophies (not discounting his desire to plow his step-sister,) are intriguing and captivating. "Rather than eschewing his contradictory nature, as is typical Western practice, Switters embraces it. He's a CIA agent who hates the go
Leslie Gal
May 15, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Some people love this shit and find it oh so witty and creative, but to me the perfect phrase to describe this book (and all Tom Robbins) is "verbal masturbation." If you value the simple beauty of good prose, you will feel dirty after ol Robbins spews gratuitous, barely cogent metaphors willy-nilly all over your literary face line after nauseating line. Robbins is clearly getting off on his own cleverness; it's just too bad he didn't stop to think about your needs.
Will C
Feb 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably my favorite Tom Robbins novel, one of the few with a male protagonist (some of his books focus on female leads, and a few have couples, but the narration generally focuses on the woman). Switters, the nymphet-chasing secret agent and self described "acquired taste," finds himself confined to a wheelchair. A shaman's curse (the price of a psychedelic revelation) condemns him to death if his feet ever touch the ground. He starts the novel in love with his underage step sister, working for ...more
Arax Miltiadous
Feb 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
από που να ξεκινήσω...
Εν αρχής ο Σουιτερς είναι ο πιο αγαπημένος μου φανταστικός ήρωας. η απολυτή αντίφαση, η λαγνεία, η εξυπνάδα, η επιρρέπεια σε όλων των ειδών τις απολαύσεις και τις πρωτόγνωρες εμπειρίες. Η γνωριμία μου μαζί του συντέλεσε στην αναδιαμόρφωση της κοσμοθεωρίας μου και της οπτικής που αντιμετωπίζω τη ζωή.

Τι να ναι αυτό λοιπόν, που θα μπορούσε να ανάγει μια γνώση σε απαγορευμένη?
Και πόσο μακριά διατίθεται κάποιος να φτάσει για να απαντήθει αυτό ερώτημα?

Είναι η ζωή ένα σύνολο φυσι
Danger
Mar 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Danger by: drag queens, Frankenstein, human beings and other assorted fauna
Everytime I don't know what to buy people for Christmas or their birthday, I just get them a copy of this book. I give them two months and then ask what they thought of it. If they say they loved it, we continue to be friends. If they didn't like it, I challenge them to a gladiator-style death match. As you could surmise by the fact that I'm writing this right now, I've never lost a death match. That's how much I love this book.
Lindsay
Aug 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i've well acquainted with the pantheon of tom robbins (except for wild ducks flying backward- saving that for a rainy day), but i have to count myself among the many who consider this a favorite of the bunch. well written, fast, and full of shamanic/monastic greatness. i would even say a tour de force if that wasn't the shittiest, most hackneyed phrase in book reviewdom.
Dec 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Likely my favorite book of all time. Former CIA agent Switters treks through the Amazon searching for shaman named "The End of Time/ Today IS Tomorrow," accompanied only by his parrot who lives by the motto "Peeple of zee wurl, relax!" I spit every time I hear the name "John Foster Dulles." Ingenious.
E
Jan 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: The pure of heart
Top 5.
Switters is my hero. An absurd and rollicking good time. If you enjoy philosophy, drugs, booze, sex and laughing...you should be into this.
Stephen
HEADLINE: I do not care much for John Foster Dulles either.

Tim Robbins makes my smile muscles hurt. The man's work in the form of this novel is completely over the top. The protagonist is Switters, a CIA operative. CIA operatives from Switters's own point of view come in two flavors, cowboys and angels. Switters of course sees himself in the latter category.

The plot is of the wildly improbable sort. It takes Switters from Seattle, to Peru, into a wheelchair, to Central Syria and Damascus, onto
  • In the Hand of Dante
  • Nine Kinds of Naked
  • Sorrow Floats (GroVont Trilogy, #2)
  • Conversations with Tom Robbins
  • Revenge of the Lawn / The Abortion / So the Wind Won't Blow it All Away
  • Fool on the Hill
  • Island of the Sequined Love Nun
  • The Monkey Wrench Gang (Monkey Wrench Gang, #1)
  • Bagombo Snuff Box
  • Cadillac Beach (Serge Storms, #6)
  • Cosmic Trigger: Die letzten Geheimnisse der Illuminaten oder An den Grenzen des erweiterten Bewusstseins
  • Boomsday
  • Native Tongue (Skink, #2)
Thomas Eugene Robbins (born July 22, 1936 in Blowing Rock, North Carolina) is an American author. His novels are complex, often wild stories with strong social undercurrents, a satirical bent, and obscure details. His novel Even Cowgirls Get the Blues (1976) was made into a movie in 1993 directed by Gus Van Sant.

More about Tom Robbins...
“All depression has its roots in self-pity, and all self-pity is rooted in people taking themselves too seriously."

At the time Switters had disputed her assertion. Even at seventeen, he was aware that depression could have chemical causes.

"The key word here is roots," Maestra had countered. "The roots of depression. For most people, self-awareness and self-pity blossom simultaneously in early adolescence. It's about that time that we start viewing the world as something other than a whoop-de-doo playground, we start to experience personally how threatening it can e, how cruel and unjust. At the very moment when we become, for the first time, both introspective and socially conscientious, we receive the bad news that the world, by and large, doesn't give a rat's ass. Even an old tomato like me can recall how painful, scary, and disillusioning that realization was. So, there's a tendency, then, to slip into rage and self-pity, which if indulged, can fester into bouts of depression."

"Yeah but Maestra - "

"Don't interrupt. Now, unless someone stronger and wiser - a friend, a parent, a novelist, filmmaker, teacher, or musician - can josh us out of it, can elevate us and show us how petty and pompous and monumentally useless it is to take ourselves so seriously, then depression can become a habit, which, in tern, can produce a neurological imprint. Are you with me? Gradually, our brain chemistry becomes conditioned to react to negative stimuli in a particular, predictable way. One thing'll go wrong and it'll automatically switch on its blender and mix us that black cocktail, the ol' doomsday daiquiri, and before we know it, we're soused to the gills from the inside out. Once depression has become electrochemically integrated, it can be extremely difficult to philosophically or psychologically override it; by then it's playing by physical rules, a whole different ball game. That's why Switters my dearest, every time you've shown signs of feeling sorry for yourself, I've played my blues records really loud or read to you from The Horse's Mouth. And that's why when you've exhibited the slightest tendency toward self-importance, I've reminded you that you and me - you and I: excuse me - may be every bit as important as the President or the pope or the biggest prime-time icon in Hollywood, but none of us is much more than a pimple on the ass-end of creation, so let's not get carried away with ourselves. Preventive medicine, boy. It's preventive medicine."

"But what about self-esteem?"

"Heh! Self-esteem is for sissies. Accept that you're a pimple and try to keep a lively sense of humor about it. That way lies grace - and maybe even glory.”
320 likes
“My faith is whatever makes me feel good about being alive. If your religion doesn't make you feel good to be alive, what the hell is the point of it?” 272 likes