Start by marking “MongoDB: The Definitive Guide” as Want to Read:
MongoDB: The Definitive Guide

MongoDB: The Definitive Guide

How does MongoDB help you manage a huMONGOus amount of data collected through your web application? With this authoritative introduction, you'll learn the many advantages of using document-oriented databases, and discover why MongoDB is a reliable, high-performance system that allows for almost infinite horizontal scalability.

Written by engineers from 10gen, the company
Published September 24th 2010 by O'Reilly Media (first published September 1st 2010)

Start your review of MongoDB: The Definitive Guide
Alexandre
Oct 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english, kindle
The main concepts are well explained but as any technical book focused on a tool that evolves quickly it get out-dated quickly as well. The main concepts are still valid but some details have already changed sometimes significantly, it is advisable to read it with the current documentation on the side to be aware of the differences.
Gafitescu Daniel
Dec 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: web-dev
MongoDB The Definitive Guide

Chapter 1 : Introduction

- The basic idea is to replace the concept of a “row” with a more flexible model, the “document.”
- MongoDB was designed from the beginning to scale out. Its document-oriented data model allows it to automatically split up data across multiple servers

Features :
a) Indexing
b) stored Javascript
c) Agreggation
d)Fixed-size collections
e)File storage

Chapter 2 : Gettting Started

• A document is the basic unit of data for MongoDB, roughly equivalent
Karol
May 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: technical
Average book. Covers only basics, unnecessarily describes things easily found elsewhere (like arguments of mongodump, or mongo commands). Often explains obvious things. Recommended only for very beginners.
Miloš Milivojević
A very detailed coverage of all MongoDB aspects - development, administration, monitoring and performance-tuning - accompanied with lots of pearls of wisdom and typical gotchas.
Georvic
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book covers indexing, querying, schema design, sharding, replication, scalability, application design, and more. However, it does not cover too much about its storage engines. This is only briefly mentioned at the end of the book. Still, this book is comprehensive in scope and really good.
Eswara
Dec 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Gives a good overview on mongoDB concepts with code examples. Works as a nice primer for novice and reference point for advanced techies
Edmond
Mar 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Overall the book is well written, the two authors clearly know their stuff. However, I wish that they have organized the topics and wording a bit clearer and not to expect people will read the book from cover to cover.

MongoDB, at the end of the day, is a very young package. So there are quirks here and there which don't necessarily make sense for people from the RDBMS paradigms. E.g. it probably make sense to reference Safe Operations earlier in chapter 3 because I know that there are folks out
Christian Tjhai
Aug 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
By the title of the book that is The Definitive Guide, I was hoping that the authors could point out some kind of work patterns that could be considered as a starting point for the readers to be used as their practical guidelines at work. Although, I am aware that it is still too early to consider best practices to work with MongoDB.

The documentations provided at mongodb.org are definitely self-explanatory and I believe I could learn much faster from the documentations.

I am a bit disappoint
Hinch
Dec 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
A clearly written introduction to MongoDB. The concepts are well explained and the examples are thoughtfully chosen. The book incidentally addresses questions relating to the advantages of MongoDB over relational databases, however, greater focus on the strengths and weaknesses of the "NoSQL" model, and the applicability of the technology to specific solution architectures, would have been welcomed. The book is a joy to read, and will serve as a good complement to a language reference, yet lacks ...more
Aaron Lord
Nov 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
The last third of the book is appendices, so apparently all the while I was doner than I thought I was. It's a great book, but it's short, and therefore I wonder if has proper claim to the title of "Definitive Guide." My only complaint is that the Java chemistry app example in the last chapter is not accessible for anyone who didn't major in the physical sciences or who has been out of school for more than a few years.
Christopher
Sep 28, 2011 rated it liked it
I recommend reading this book if you are interested in Mongo specifically, or even document databases in general. I found it to be a very useful introduction.
I came to the book with some basic knowledge of document database, but only a basic knowledge. I am now comfortable working with Mongo (those still only an intermediate user at best).
Harry Yeh
Nov 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great book and introduction to MongoDB - a must read if you are journeying into the land of NOSQL databases. I love Mongodb but coming from a relational background there are many things to learn about this JSON / BSON document based datastore. Great overview but you will need other books to get in much deeper with this product.
Ivo Stoykov
May 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: software, computer, db
MongoDB: The Definitive Guide is useful reading and starting point for those interested to touch MongoDB. The book is well composed with enough clear samples and explanations. I've enjoyed reading it.
Riccardo
Dec 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Around 200 pages, it is concise enough for an introductory book.
The introduction does an excellent job of introducing the concepts behind MongoDB. It goes into explaining the pros and cons of NoSQL engines.
Administration, implementation and development concepts are covered. Maybe a little too much focused on a developer's point of view.
Mathi Fonseca
Aug 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: technical
Excellent book, great details of all things related to Mongo. I would not recommend it for beginners (as myself) because there is plenty of things that will become much more relevant once you have an application in production. If you read the book before that, there's a great chance that you will forget and will have to come back later and reread it.
Thomas Toye
Jun 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: technical-books
This book does a great job on covering every aspect of MongoDB - I especially like the chapters on server deployment and administration, which are often an afterthought with this kind of book.

The chapter on application design was too short for my taste. I would have liked to see examples of good application design and more common patterns here.
Albert
Apr 11, 2012 rated it liked it
My main criticism of this book is that examples are not set up properly and none is worked out in any detail. Not bad as a whistle-stop tour of features, but online documentation is a better introduction to MongoDB.
Burak Dede
Oct 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: programming
Book generally written much of a theoric book but section at the end provide enough practice for different language drivers (java,ruby,python etc.) but one important thing that they are not full examples
Nathan
This book is a fairly good read for a technology book. Most of the content is platform-agnostic, so it's accessible to anyone thinking about using MongoDB on a platform that has a MongoDB driver already.
Will
Dec 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good solid reference. It doesn't go into the patterns or transaction details as much as I'd like (a single operation is atomic, but what does that imply for how data should be structured in an application?), but it's very helpful in showing what MongoDB does and doesn't do.
Delhi Irc
Location: GG6 IRC
Accession no: DL026656
Sal Mangano
Sep 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
You'll be up to speed in no time with this book. Would have liked to see coverage of applications using Node.js.
Charlotte Guan
Oct 01, 2013 rated it liked it
It does include all the basic information, but lack of comparison with other db and when we should choose MongoDB instead of others.
Frank Palardy
Apr 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: javascript-cloud
Goes into more detail than some other books.
Sonal Garg
GG6 DL026656
Vasil Todorov
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Read it along time ago, I remember it was quite good.
Mohammed AlYousef
Jun 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: computer
very well explained and good organization. i still need to practice it in a real project though =)
Lisandro
Feb 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very clear and structured information, give you a good overall view of the capabilities and how to use it!
Harit Himanshu
Sep 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: database
The first NoSQL book I read and learnt a lot, not very bulky, keep you right on the track.

You read and start working!
A. Jesse
Oct 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I straightforward guide to MongoDB, will get you up and running quickly, covers the most common topics in depth in a humorous and engaging manner.

• Hadoop: The Definitive Guide
  • JavaScript: The Definitive Guide
  • 97 Things Every Software Architect Should Know: Collective Wisdom from the Experts
  • Building Microservices: Designing Fine-Grained Systems
  • Pro Git
  • Modern PHP: New Features and Good Practices
  • Docker Deep Dive
  • Professional Node.Js: Building JavaScript Based Scalable Software
  • Async JavaScript
  • Mastering Docker - Second Edition: Master this widely used containerization tool
  • Windows 7 Administrators Pocket Consultant
  • Windows Powershell in Action, Third Edition
  • Learning Vue.Js 2
  • Hands-On Microservices with Node.js: Build, test, and deploy robust microservices in JavaScript
  • Developing Microservices with Node.js
  • You Don't Know JS (book series)
  • Dart: Up and Running
  • Музпросвет

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »