Start by marking “Judge Dredd: The Complete Case Files 03” as Want to Read:
Judge Dredd: The Complete Case Files 03

Judge Dredd: The Complete Case Files 03 (Judge Dredd: The Complete Case Files + The Restricted Files+ The Daily Dredds #3)

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  563 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
This volume features many of Dredd's most exciting cases including the first appearance of Judge Death and Psi Judge Anderson and the return of Satanus.
Published April 4th 2006 by REBELLION/2000AD (first published June 9th 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Judge Dredd, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Judge Dredd

Josef Horký
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Krásně přestřelený a přehnaný, s nadsázkou a ironií. Bavilo.
Christopher
Oct 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jordan Anderson
Having become a more recent fan of Judge Dredd and the whole 2000 A.D. British comic craze, these bumper volumes are great.

Unfortunately, this 3rd volume lacks a lot of the stronger storylines and arcs that came before and that follow. They're published chronologically, and that's cool, for the most part, but when the entire batch of progs from 61-115 aren't very good, the entire volume suffers.

The problem is that most of the strips are one-off, or short arcs. The "Black Plague" and "Father Ear
Nicola Mansfield
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been looking forward to this one as it has the first appearance of Judge Death in it (also Judge Andersen's first appearance). It was a decent enough episode appearing to be suited as a Halloween issue probably. Other stories were better, though. This volume contains no major story lines but is full of one issue or 2-3 issue stories. Most are of a dramatic nature with only a couple of cheesy ones. A very good read of late 70's Judge Dredd. What I really enjoyed though was one of the opening ...more
Thalestral
Feb 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009
Judge Dredd rescues a guinea pig = best comic ever.
Kristen
Jan 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, Walter the Wobot... why didn't you get to be in the 'Dredd' movie? :(
Tomas
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own
Another great Judge Dredd omnibus.
Daniel Jantulík
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ach asi jsem si našel nový top universum <3
Mike Reiff
May 07, 2016 rated it liked it
I've always been curious to see what the early Dredd comics were like. This collection, and I imagine most of the series, is a mixed bag. There are some high points. The panel layouts and visual storytelling are outstanding. Each chapter or "prog." is about six pages, so the artist is forced to be inventive with space, and many pages are bursting with ingenious arrangements and sequences. Much of the art is excellent. Brian Bolland does some early work here, which is as fresh and eerie as his mo ...more
Gav451
Aug 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
So now we have hit the tales I recall from my childhood. I came to the feast a little late but in volume 3 we see the character begin to take the form of a satire and reflection of the extremes of society he is now. Suddenly Dredd becomes darker and the power he wields becomes more of a concern. There are still a number of silly tales and couple based on puns but the art, stories and presentation begin to become amazing here. Bolland and Smith are on top form, the art is effective and detailed b ...more
Garth Owen
Aug 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Still a big batch of classic Dredd, this collection suffers in comparison to the concentrated thrill power of the previous edition.

Lacking an epic tale, where the second edition had two of the greats, this collection feels bitty and a little disjointed. Having said that, the inventive future city stories are still in evidence and lots of interesting and important background is developed.

The stand out tale is the introduction of Judge Death (and Judge Anderson) as the cross dimensional wraith com
AJW
Oct 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Hard to be objective about Judge Dredd as I grew up reading and re-reading these stories. Some of the panels I remember copying onto my art book. Unlike Case Files #2 with its long epics, this volume contains varied short stories, setting up themes that will reappear in JD throughout the coming decades.

The main one is the introduction of Judge Death. But there are the various mutie invasion threats from Cursed Earth. The Sov threat that foreshadows the Apolcalypse War. The fads that become dang
Jeff
Jan 05, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As always, the adventures of Judge Dredd are good fun, even if the stories are often pedestrian and the artwork not much better. What makes the difference are the contributions of artists Brian Bolland and (especially) Mike McMahon. Both of these creators have gone on to many other things in the field of comics and graphic novels, but Judge Dredd is where they fist made their names, and their brilliant pen work still shines all these years later. This volume also includes the Judge Death story s ...more
Bryn Young-roberts
Jul 25, 2015 rated it liked it
A clear progression from the first two books the artwork in this one is generally a bit clearer - there are times during action scenes when it doesn't take you five minutes of turning the book around and upside down to work out what you're looking at. The stories seem to have matured too, with the occasional one feeling like there might be more substance beyond it's basic premise. It is also good to see the first appearance of Judge Death and Judge Anderson, who went on to become fan favourites.
Tony
Jun 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Some Judge Anderson and Satanus repetition if you're reading the Judge Anderson stuff too. Story telling is still rather childish but the stories are getting better, plus the Judge Minty storyline used to start the fan film, which is well good for a fan funded and made movie. It's out there to watch on Youtube. Rating is more indicative of my childhood joy, despite all the blood and violence this is still kids stuff.
John Paul Feehily
Jan 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A massive improvement in this volume. The art is mostly by Bolland and Smith this time, the best from previous volumes and their skills are improving all the time. No overly long epics here but the stories are all quite good. Of course it also features the first appearance of Judge Death, quite a darker departure from the norm and a pretty cool character/nemesis to boot. Oh, and very little of Walter which is always a bonus. Stupid Wobot!
Andrew
Jan 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the third and for me final instalment of the series (they currently go all the way up in to the teens) and end off at the end of the 70s. I will return to Mega-city 1 in the future - I want to read the 90s editions when I was re-introduced to the comics while studying at university. If you even want to look at the evolution of comics and graphic novels - never under estimate the contribution of Judge Dredd
Ted Wolf
Oct 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
More great Judge Dredd action, a humorous mix of heroism and fascism.

We get introduced to Mega-City 1's city block system, mutants attack led by Father Earth, learn about Mo-Pads, meet Judge Death and Psi-Division's Judge Anderson and finally Satanus's DNA leads to some problems for Judge Dredd and the citizens of Mega-City 1.
James Taylor
May 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great collection of early Judge Dredd stories. These date to 1979 (when I'm sure I read them in their original home - 2000AD magazine), and introduce two Dredd stalwarts, Judge Death and Judge Anderson, from the PSI division. Enjoyed all of these stories immensely, especially the appearance of Judge Death..
Tyler
Jan 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
I feel like this is the first JD book that really feels rooted in it's own world. You understand the history, the landscape, the characters, etc. enough that the stories just seem to gel. And when some of the best characters are introduced (Judge Death, Judge Anderson), you are genuinely excited by the badass dialogue and character design because of your understanding of the world.
Eulercauchy
Sep 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm always hoping for it to be better than it is. There's tiny moments of greatness and some amazing art, and it's really good for the time,, but there are much better comics I should be reading instead. But hey! Judge Death and Anderson were introduced and quickly gotten rid of in like 10 pages. Love the characters but we deserve better writing.
Todd
Pretty fun addition to the series. These stories are great little reads and it is a little hard to believe that this is as old as it is. These are cheesy little stories but they aren't apologetic about that.
Juhani
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Collecting the Judge Dredd strips from progs 116-154 from 1979-80, this collection introduces Boing (tm) the miracle spray, Umpty Candy, the Judges' Long Walk, and the ugliest man of Mega-City 1, Otto Sump. It also contains the first appearances of Judge Dredd and Psi-Judge Anderson.
arjuna
Jan 12, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great fun, but not exactly the best of the best. I'll have to agree with Jeff on this one - worth it for Judge Death; the rest is icing of various quality.
Gavin
Oct 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Bit of a mixed bag. Early stories lack sophistication and the humour isn't quite as sharp and satirical as previous outings. The collection is saved by Judge Death's and Psi Judge Anderson's first appearances. That story is nice and dark and tragic.

Jacob
Dec 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
This is a good collection. I think that the short stories in this are excellent and, weird as judge death is, he is an awesome character.
Seth
Oct 22, 2013 rated it liked it
3.4
Shawn Birss
Jun 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
It's a comic with a lot of potential that hasn't yet found its stride. The art is an improvement over the last volume.
George Hamilton-jones
Aug 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
This lacks an epic story arc but introduces important characters like Otto Sump and Judges Death and Anderson. Quality throughout is high.
  • Rogue Trooper: Tales of Nu-Earth, Vol. 1
  • The Complete Nemesis The Warlock: Volume 1
  • The Complete Alan Moore Future Shocks
  • Batman/Judge Dredd: Judgment on Gotham (Batman / Judge Dredd, #1)
  • Judge Dredd, Volume 1
  • Fantastic Four, Volume 1
  • Kamandi, the Last Boy on Earth Omnibus, Vol. 1
  • Lazarus: The First Collection
  • Love and Rockets: New Stories #5
  • Archie vs Predator
  • Penny Century (Locas, #4)
  • The Valiant
  • Strangers in Paradise (Omnibus, Books One & Two)
  • Batman: The World of the Dark Knight
  • The Death and Return of Superman: Omnibus
  • Hellblazer, Volume 3: The Fear Machine
  • X-Statix: Omnibus
  • Hellboy Library Edition, Volume 4: The Crooked Man and the Troll Witch (Hellboy, #7,10)
John Wagner is a comics writer who was born in Pennsylvania in 1949 and moved to Scotland as a boy. Alongside Pat Mills, Wagner was responsible for revitalising British boys' comics in the 1970s, and has continued to be a leading light in British comics ever since. He is best known for his work on 2000 AD, for which he created Judge Dredd. He is noted for his taut, violent thrillers and his black ...more
More about John Wagner...

Judge Dredd: The Complete Case Files + The Restricted Files+ The Daily Dredds (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • Judge Dredd: The Complete Case Files 01