Start by marking “Rubí (Piedras preciosas, #1)” as Want to Read:
Rubí (Piedras preciosas, #1)

Rubí

(Edelstein-Trilogie #1)

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  107,571 ratings  ·  9,845 reviews
En casa de Gwendolyn Sheperd nada ni nadie es del todo “normal”, empezando por su excéntrica (¡y cotilla!) tía abuela Maddy, que tiene extrañas visiones, pasando por Lucy, que se escapó de casa hace 17 años sin dejar rastro alguno...

Y para acabar, también está Charlotte, su encantadora y (rabiosamente) perfecta prima, quien, según parece, ha heredado un extraño gen familia
Published October 8th 2010 by Montena (first published January 6th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Rubí, please sign up.
Alesha Writing as a somewhat sheltering and traditional mom, I would say the series is more appropriate for 15 year-olds, but the first book "Ruby Red" would…moreWriting as a somewhat sheltering and traditional mom, I would say the series is more appropriate for 15 year-olds, but the first book "Ruby Red" would be appropriate for a 13 year-old. The other two books have content that is a bit more mature. The series is adventurous and delightful; I loved reading it a couple of times. Here is a description of the content that worried me for my daughters:

Ruby Red: light language; short violence in a sword fighting scene (in self defense) including the heroine stabbing someone and seeing another dead body; mention of the heroine wearing a tight shirt and short skirt because she is wearing her too small school uniform, and one kissing scene.

Sapphire Blue: light language; talk of low-necklines (in the context of décolletage in 18th century dresses); a mild groping scene in the 18th century; heavy kissing on a couch; a surface-level discussion of sex with the heroine and her grandfather (the essence being that sex is now common); a scene where the heroine unknowingly drinks spiked punch, gets drunk, and then behaves foolishly; and talk of a more mature and loose women being told to share her sexual "experience" with the hero.

Emerald Green: light language, some violence in the context of sword fighting, blood, and shooting; heavy kissing; the heroine and her best friend talking about the heroine wanting to "spending the night" with her boyfriend...but it never happens; a teenage party scene where the attendees are mostly drunk (thanks to someone secretly spiking the punch) and then the drunk teens doing foolish things such as making out and singing karaoke on a table; and lastly, there is a scene where the heroine is almost forced to take drugs by the villainous sidekick, but doesn't.

Throughout the series the heroine is sometimes belittled and dismissed by men and some family members. However, other characters rally around her, help her, and demonstrate their love for her. Women were not taken seriously throughout history and this is a theme throughout the series. So the belittling did not bother me, especially considering the ending.(less)
Lina Yes it is! I read it when I was 18, it might be a light read when you are older but entertaining nonetheless!
…more
(less)

·  107,571 ratings  ·  9,845 reviews

Start your review of Rubí (Piedras preciosas, #1)
Sasha Alsberg
Nov 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'll be uploading my review to my YouTube channel abookutopia!! (I review both the book & the movie).
Loved this book!!!
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
”Ready for the next adventure, Princess?”
“Ready when you are,” she said softly.

It’s no secret that I’m a huge Kerstin Gier fan and to be honest my main motivation to reread this book was to make sure that more people become aware of it. At the beginning of the year I made 2020 my “German speaking Authors Year” and decided to give a special shout-out to rather unknown (German/Austrian) authors that write great books! Well, Kerstin Gier certainly is one of them! ;-)

I’ve read many of her books alre
Ariel
Dec 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review to come.. It's 2:42am! THIS DARNED GREAT BOOK MADE ME STAY UP SO LATE!
____________

Okay! So it's the 27th now, and I'm ready to write my review. The first thing that should be apparent is that I loved this book. I gave it 5/5 stars, and it kept me up into the ridiculous hours of the night on both of the days that I read it. I recommend it to all!

Now, let's break it up.

Firstly, plot. One of the main reasons I loved this book was because it was constantly exciting. The plot kept up at a grea
Emily May
DNF - 25%

Consider checking out Tatiana's review before reading this book, as I should have done. Because there's nothing terribly wrong with Ruby Red other than the fact that it feels very young and immature. I think I would have loved this about 10 years ago, but now the silliness and mental age of the narrator is off-putting.

The characters are in their mid-to-late teens but all of them feel like middle school kids. Take these two early scenes:

Mr Whitman took Gordon's test back from him, turned
Kai
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I just love this trilogy! It's funny, it's witty, it's super surprising and clever. If I need something to cheer me up I just know that the Precious Stone trilogy is the right thing to read. I just flip through the pages and hours go by unnoticed. Which is why it's one of my favourites. The plot is so light and fast-paced, this is easi
Reynita Maharani ★ The Night Reader ★
DNF @ 177

THE REVIEW IS POSTED

Before I start reviewing this book, I just wanted to say sorry for not replying the comments earlier because college has been pretty hectic and I'm kind of in stressful situation right now and I AM CURRENTLY SUFFERING FROM READING SLUMP and I think it's because of this book. So I wanted to tell you guys that maybe I won't be as active as I used to. ( I usually checked Goodreads like 3 or 4 times in a day ) but since I've been pretty busy with college and assignments
Nick
4 SOLID STARS!

description

Full review to come!
Tatiana
Feb 18, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: tween girls
I knew Ruby Red wouldn't be quite my type of YA lit after reading first couple of pages of it. Even though the main character, Gwyneth, is 16 going on 17, she sounds about 12. Naturally, a quick decision-maker that I am, I made up my mind to drop it right after finishing chapter 1. After finishing chapter 1 I decided to drop it after chapter 2, and so it went...

Gwyneth is a member of the family of time-travelers. Every other generation or so her family produces a girl who starts uncontrollably t
Christine Riccio
I had so much fun reading this book. I love the narrator! I just posted my booktalk/discussion: http://youtu.be/b5bTqUrWG2I =D ...more
Duchess Nicole
Sometimes I really wonder what young adults see in certain young adult books. This series has pretty good ratings but I just don't see it. I was so bored for the first eighty percent of the book. I felt as if I had no idea who this heroine really was. I don't even think it says how old she is until late in the book, which left me feeling a little off about her character. Since each year makes a big difference when it comes to teens, not knowing if she was twelve or seventeen was weird. So much o ...more
Trina (Between Chapters)
Glad I read it. I did enjoy it but I hope the sequels pack more of a punch.

Caution - LOTS of fat shaming in chapter 11.
Anja H.
*4.25 TIME TRAVELING STARS*

Well, this was quite interesting and unique! I haven't read anything like this yet! I didn't love it as much as other young adult books out there, but I think that's mainly because I listened to this as an audiobook, which I've never done before. It took me a while to get used to the reader's posh British accent but eventually I really got into it! The story is centered in England so it was kind of fitting anyway.

First of all, I loved the whole time traveling idea and
Lauren Elise
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ingredients Needed:
- A time travel story.
- Set in England.
- Some scenes taking place in Victorian England.
- A fun (yet somewhat annoying) main character.
- A smart and cute love interest.
- A secret society of time travelers.

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Mix all ingredients and pour into pan. Bake until published. Serve to Lauren Elise, who will then freak out over how many elements of this book she loves.

Yeah, this book is pretty damn amazing. If you know me at all, you know I'm abs
Suzanne
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I cannot believe how much I loved this book. I ended up reading it in one sitting because I was so engulfed in the plot. There are so many questions I have that need to be answered so I quickly put the other two books of the trilogy on hold at my library. I ended up ordering pizza from Dominos because I did not want to put the book down to cook. lol
Sixteen-year-olds Gwyneth Shepherd and Charlotte Montrose are cousins, born only two days apart and raised in the same house by their close-knit, comically dysfunctional family. They thoroughly resent each other. Charlotte is a multitalented model student, beautiful, graceful, and poised. Gwyneth - Gwen for short - scrapes by in school, trips on her own legs, suffers from a nervous stomach, says the wrong thing everytime, has no fashion sense, and her only talent is memorizing inane pop culture ...more
Edel

Before I delve into this review I first want to point something out - I should NEVER have picked up this book. Why you may ask? Well, because this does not even remotely sound like a book I would enjoy. The blurb alone would be evidence enough of that, two particular sentences stand out the most:

"can spend her time hanging out with her best friend, Lesley, watching movies and talking about boys."

Oh and it gets worse...

"He's obnoxious, a know-it-all, and possibly the best-looking guy she's seen i
Nicole
Gwyneth is a 16 years old school girl. She was raised in a family full of secrets where her cousin Charlotte was the center of attention and care. After all, she was the gene carrier. She can travel back in time and thus she should be prepared. Gwyneth never envied her, though. She always helped Charlotte who was pretty much arrogant. But she was going through a lot, right? She has to learn everything about the past, learn new languages and maintain high grades. Until all her efforts were in vai ...more
Yesy (The Book Vagrant)
Well that was a fun ride! I read this in one sitting for the #rainbowthon 2.0 and I really enjoyed it!

I definitely feel like this was a great opening and solid setup for the rest of the trilogy; but while it was incredibly fun there was definitely no rising action or climax in the story. It was also a bit predictable (seriously, I saw that twist coming from the prologue) but I love Gwen (and her friendship with Lesley!) so much that that didn't bother me as much as it usually does. I liked figur
Lara
Nov 21, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

It was an enjoyable read.

I liked this book. It was fast paced and a cute story. I would lie if I say I like the majority of the characters. I felt a little sad for Gwendolyn because almost everyone around her acted like spoiled brats however, I'd survive anything if I had a best friend like Leslie.

Overall it was a short and quick
Sherrie
Sep 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
description
“Ready when you are.”

Ruby red, with G major, the magic of the raven, brings the Circle of Twelve home into safe haven.

This book is incredibly mind-blowing.
Time travel. Chronograph. Ghost-encounter.
With a good amount of suspense and mystery.
leynes
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
[Drake voice] I mean ... WHERE. THE FUCK. DO I. REALLY EVEN START???? I've been binge-reading one of my favorite series from way back when I was a teenager (...yes, it's the Precious Gems trilogy; yes, you can judge; no, I don't care ... IT'S ICONIC!) and I don't think I've ever made a smarter reading decision in my life. Rereading this series fuelled my body and lengthened my lifespan for at least 40 years. I'm not even kidding.

I rewatch the movies annually, so it was super fun to come back to
Cara
Apr 18, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2011
I decided I was going to take some time to percolate my ideas for this book, but it's still up in the air what I exactly think. Had some aspects I liked (i.e. time-travel), and others I didn't (i.e. the arc of the story).

All right synopsis first: Gwen is a sixteen-year-old girl who lives in London (the book was written in German originally so I'm not sure why that setting was chosen). Normal enough, but she comes from a family who can time-travel. Thankfully the gene bypassed her and was given t
Jaz

I can seriously not express my love for this book. Maybe a five star rating is a little bit too much but literally my mind is blown at this moment!!
Delia
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This felt more like a long prologue. Still, it sucked me in from page 1, and I just ordered the next two books. I am so intrigued, and time travel is seriously a lifelong dream of mine. Plus it is set in London. And a little Gideon don't hurt nobody ;)

Brittain *Needs a Nap and a Drink*

Unpopular opinion time!

I came so incredibly close to DNF-ing this. A bunch of my friends gave lovely reviews to this book but I saw Rachel had given it a one star and I was immediately apprehensive. We tend to have similar taste, especially with fantasy (and wedding dresses) or whatever the hell this was so I should have known better.

I have never been so bored with a fantasy novel. I kept waiting for something to happen and it never did. Yes, we get that Gwyneth is is special and she has powers
sofia (sam willows)
I actually give this a 4.5, but it was insulting for this magnificent book to be with te rest of the 4 star ones. This book hasn't reached its full potential, due to the "action" only starting over 50% of the book, but I loved it anyway.
I'll definitely change my rating through time, because right now I feel fluffy inside (I just finished the book) and I NEED MORE.
I believe this series will become a favorite of mine!
Antonia
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Ready?" "Ready if you are."

Well, that was fun! Not super original, not super greatly written, not very deep. But a story that lets you fall into it and welcomes you.

One thing that bothered me: It's a German book by a German author. Why make it play in London like every other young adult fantasy book? Kinda lame.

Still happy I read it. :)
Mizuki
I once had high hope for this book. Look at the beautiful cover! It was written by a German novelist and it actually got translated into many other languages! It should be a worthy read, right?

However, when I turned the last page, all I could think of is THANKS THE MOTHER FREAKING HEAVEN! I CAN FINALLY GET RID OF THIS BORING BOOK NOW!

I don't mean to say this book is 100% awful, still the mind-breaking boredom makes me feel like I had been thoroughly tortured when I finished this book.

That's how
Susan
Aug 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My mind is literally blown at this moment. All I am really capable of doing is gaping at the computer screen and desperately wishing the sequel, SAPPHIRE BLUE, was available now. Or that my German skills were better so I could tackle book 2 in its original form.

This book is SO. GOOD. Buy it--don't even wait to read this review. Just run to the nearest store or library and start reading.

First of all, Gwyneth is one of the most likable heroines ever. Yes, truly. Ever. She's hilarious, brave, cleve
Taneika
Dec 17, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
All in all, Gwen annoyed the shit out of me (she was idiotic), there are giant, gaping plot holes, and while I understand a lot of these will probably be answered in the other two books (it certainly feels like part one of a big story, instead of having its own seperate arc within a bigger picture), it just wasn't enough to be satisfying. Like, what is the point of only travelling in time for 2 minutes or whatever at a time if this time travelling gene is so rare? What is the point. The time tra ...more

• Rubinrot - Das offizielle Buch zum Film
  • Saphirblau - Das offizielle Buch zum Film
  • Die magische Gondel (Zeitenzauber, #1)
  • The Elite (The Selection, #2)
  • Die goldene Brücke (Zeitenzauber, #2)
  • Save Me (Maxton Hall, #1)
  • Das verborgene Tor (Zeitenzauber, #3)
  • The One (The Selection, #3)
  • Begin Again (Again, #1)
  • Obsidian (Lux, #1)
  • Save You (Maxton Hall, #2)
  • Das geheime Vermächtnis des Pan (Pan-Trilogie #1)
  • Saving Phoenix Die Macht der Seelen 2: Roman
  • Onyx (Lux, #2)
  • Save Us (Maxton Hall, #3)
  • Die dunkle Prophezeiung des Pan (Pan-Trilogie #2)
  • Starcrossed (Starcrossed, #1)
  • Opal (Lux, #3)
Kerstin Gier is the bestselling author of the Ruby Red trilogy, as well as several popular novels for adults.

Edelstein-Trilogie (3 books)
  • Saphirblau (Edelstein-Trilogie, #2)
  • Smaragdgrün (Edelstein-Trilogie, #3)

News & Interviews

“You were talking to that niche in the wall again, Gwyneth. I saw you."

"Yes, but it's my favorite bit of wall, Gordon. I'd hurt its feelings if I didn't stop and talk to it.”
520 likes
“If we were in a film, the villain would turn out to be the least-expected person. But as we aren’t in a film, I’d go for the character who tried to strangle you.” 484 likes