Start by marking “Letters from Home” as Want to Read:
Letters from Home

Letters from Home

A Goodreads Choice Awards Semifinalist for Best Historical Fiction by New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Kristina McMorris

Inspired by her grandparents’ WWII courtship letters, New York Times bestselling author Kristina McMorris delivers a moving tale of friendship, family, and the twists of fate that change us forever…

It’s 1944, and although foreign battles ar
Published February 22nd 2011 by Kensington Books (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Letters from Home, please sign up.

Start your review of Letters from Home
Tatiana
Jan 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wwii
In our age of email, text messaging, and high-tech cell phones that condense entire lives into tiny gadgets formerly reserved for spies, Kristina McMorris’ debut novel, Letters From Home, is a welcome dose of nostalgia, a love letter in itself for a simpler time, when patience truly was a virtue and a hand-scrawled note was treasured above all else.

The novel chronicles the radically diverse wartime adventures of four individuals: roommates Liz Stephens, Betty Cordell, and Julia Renard, and Priv
Melissa Snider
Jul 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Let me start this off by saying I read this book front to back in 2 days. It was that good. I found myself staying up until 2 am both nights because I just needed to know how the story unfolded. I tried to read it about a year ago, got a few pages in, and put it down. This time I was fresh off reading "Next to Love" by Ellen Feldman and wanted another historical fiction (romance) set during WWII. Truth is, I will pick up any book concerned with our Greatest Generation...

What I particularly loved
Nancy
Although this isn’t a true epistolary novel (one that is written as a series of documents, usually letters), the plot is driven in an epistolary sense as the narrative is built around a series of letters. Most of the correspondence takes place between Liz, a female college student and Morgan, a young soldier she meets briefly at a USO dance in Chicago during WW II. They form an instant mutual attraction, but through a series of misunderstandings, she ends up writing to him under the guise of her ...more
Kelsey
Apr 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a sweet, sweet story.

I enjoyed this immensely, and if I hadn't read Bridge of Scarlet Leaves before this, I probably would have given it 5 stars. However, I gave it 4, because while I loved it, I know that McMorris can write even better, and base her stories in more reality.

The story focuses on three young women, Betty, Liz, and Julia, who are best friends going to college. Betty wants to be a singer for the USO, Liz is engaged to Dalton, an up and coming politician, and Julia wants to ma
Cat Tutt
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very touching historical fiction. I loved all the characters and thought the storyline was riveting, finding myself unable to put it down for the last 100 pages or so. Highly recommended for lovers of historical fiction/historical romance.

*5 Stars
Terri
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Review also found at https://kristineandterri.blogspot.com...

This book has been sitting on my to be read shelf for a really long time. As I have been focusing on reading ARCs for a long time, I thought it was about time to try to get through some of the unread books that have been "dusting up my shelves".

This is not a new book, in fact it is eight years old. As a result I figure most people who are going to read it, probably already have unless like me, have read all other works by McMorris and
Peggy
Feb 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
The book takes place during World War II.It is the story of three women who have been friends since childhood.The story is through letters and each of the three womens' points of view. It takes you from the trenches of war,to a field hospital in Dutch New Guinea to high society Chicago.
Jodi
Feb 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I got swept away by the what ifs of this book. What if you met and lost your true love on the same day? What if you really weren't the person you'd been pretending to be? What if you wanted to change but no one else wanted you to change? And of course the World War II era just added to the romance.
Ing
Feb 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
My Synopsis:
Liz Stephens is at a crossroad in her life. She has been in a relationship with her childhood friend, Dalton Harris. For the most part, Liz is content in this relationship. During a chance meeting at a USO dance, Liz meets Morgan McClain an enlisted soldier who will be shipped off to war the next morning. In that brief moment in time, Liz feels such a strong connection with Morgan that will shake her up and make her question her relationship and all that she knows. A misunderstandin
Karen
Feb 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed Kristina McMorris's book very much. Here is my review:

Set during World War II, from Chicago to the battles waging in Europe, from a USO club to a military field hospital, Kristina McMorris has created a moving story in LETTERS FROM HOME. This narrative was inspired by the true love story of her own grandparents’ romance and how their correspondence during the war resulted in their eventual loving union. Revolving around three female characters, LETTERS FROM HOME will grab you from the
Stephanie
Mar 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
It’s 1944 in Chicago, in the midst of World War II. Three young women Liz, Betty, and Julia, friends and roommates, are each coming to a crossroads in their lives. Liz is supposed to marry her childhood sweetheart, Dalton, but now she’s not so sure, especially after she meets Morgan, a soldier, at a USO dance, and feels an immediate connection… but he’s being shipped out the next day. Julia’s meant to marry the love of her life, Christian, who’s also overseas, but is offered a prestigious fashio ...more
Glenda
Oct 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Liz Stephens has little interest in attending a USO club dance with her friends Betty and Julia. She doesn't need a flirtation with a lonely serviceman when she's set to marry her childhood sweetheart. Yet something happens the moment Liz glimpses Morgan McClain. They share only a brief exchange--cut short by the soldier's evident interest in Betty--but Liz can't forget him. Betty asks Liz to pen a letter to Morgan for her and then she leaves to join the WAC and forgets all about him. Liz contin ...more
Kathleen Kelly
Dec 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This story is inspired by the author's own grandparents. It takes place primarily in 1944-45 in Illinois, Dutch New Guinea and France. Brothers Morgan and Charlie McClain who are in Chicago, before shipping out to France, go to a club and there they meet Liz, Betty and Julia. Each chapter is told in a different characters voice and we learn more about each of them. A lot of this story is told in letter format between "Betty" and Morgan. Betty had originally asked Liz to pen a letter to Morgan an ...more
Cari
Sep 14, 2011 rated it it was ok
Letters from Home's premise of three female roommates and their relationships to each other, the War and the men in their lives was great. I wanted to like this book and there were moments in it that I really enjoyed and made me keep reading. However, I found the characters to be flat. Maybe it was that the author tried to do too much with too many characters so I wasn't captivated by any of them. I found Liz to be somewhat boring an predictable. I think the stories surrounding Julia and Betty w ...more
Delilah Marvelle
Oct 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
What I loved about this book was that it was more than a love story. It was a friendship story between women trying to be strong in an era that tried to strip them of not only that strength but their identity. Beautifully written, I felt like I was reliving the past as it really might have been.
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Kristina McMorris has quickly become one of my favorite authors. I savor every word. I loved that this story was loosely based on her grandparents, and that it took place during one of my favorite times in history, WWII; when my grandparents were young, too. I highly recommend this book for fans of well-told fiction.
Joan Bash
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read Ms. McMorris' second novel "Bridge of Scarlet Leaves" first, and just finished "Letters from Home." I loved both novels, and now that I've seen that both are excellent, I would be happy to read anything by this author. The characters are believable and genuine, and the author pulls you right into the story. I'm definitely a fan!
Vera Nordic Soul Books
An entertaining and heartfelt novel for the romantics!

"Letters from Home" by Kristina McMorris is a lovely historical novel, which features passionate and inspiring wartime romances, engaging and captivating drama, and the unique challenges of both the warfront and home front during the latter years of WW2. The well-written storyline and dynamic characters offer an entertaining and inspiring read to enjoy.

I recommend to all historical romance lovers! This one is for you!

Cheers, Vera ♡
Bonnie
Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a terrific debut novel. It takes place in 1944/45 and is set in part in France as well as the US. While it could be described as a love story, it is a story of friendship, loyalty and family during the time of war. I read this book because I loved her more recent release, Sold on a Monday. In both cases, I was not disappointed. This author develops characters that are real and they bring out your emotions.
Kathleen  Quetin
Apr 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book I read over the course of three days. As I reached the end, I continued reading until 2AM. I couldn’t stop. I was completely engaged in the characters and I felt like they were all a part of my life, as silly as that may sound!
If you enjoy WWII novels that reflect the courage and strength of the human spirit during a time of incredible hardship, you’ll love this book.
Luchi Rzezak
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Debut novel! ❤️
Patty
Jul 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing story!
Mariah Bennett
Mar 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great story that captures the culture and climate of the WWII era. I found myself captivated by each characters' story and they were all relatable in some way.
Alison
Apr 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Letters from Home is a debut novel by Kristina McMorris. It's the first book I have read by McMorris and I can say I was pleasantly surprised. In the author's note she says that she was not much of a reader so I braced myself for a lacklustre novel but it was anything but. Eloquently written, I enjoyed it reading on each and every character. I was also surprised by the amount of historical research which went into the novel.

Was a bit disappointed that not all of the characters got the happy end
Nolan
May 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bookshare
One of the strongest motivations for me to read this book is the memories I have of my parents. They were members of the Greatest Generation, and their quiet but remarkable lives continue to uplift and influence mine constantly although they are no longer alive. So because of their examples, I'm naturally going to gravitate to a book that depicts members of their generation in times of love and war. This book depicts those times powerfully and ever so well.

Liz, Betty, and Julia are roommates in
Vaughn Roycroft
Apr 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Ever Know a WWII Vet? Do you have any relations, living or deceased, who served in World War II? If you think not, are you sure? After all, over 16 million Americans served in uniform during the war. That’s not to mention the millions who worked to arm, equip, transport, or otherwise support them. And this at a time when the population was less than half today’s; about 139 million. Chances are you are recently descended from someone greatly affected by this monumental conflict.

Have you ever wond
Brenda
Mar 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I am a huge fan of historical fiction and when I read that "Letters From Home"was inspired by the love letters of the authors grandparents I was totally hooked.

Set during WWII, the story revolves around three young ladies Liz, Betty and Julia,who have been best friends since they were thrown together as lab partners in freshman science.The three of them live in Elizabeth (Liz) Stephens grandparents home. Each have their own aspirations in life, Liz plans on marrying her childhood friend Dalton,
Alyce (At Home With Books)
Sep 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Letters From Home is the story of three girlfriends, their boyfriends, and how the war drastically changes all of their lives. The main characters of the book are Liz and Morgan (a soldier), who are writing letters back and forth to each other. The special twist to the story is that Morgan thinks he is writing to Betty. The story bounces back and forth between the girls at home and Morgan at the front lines. Betty and Julia’s stories are told as subplots, and each of their stories leaves you wan ...more
Hallie Sawyer
Dec 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Hallie by: Erika Robuck
LETTERS FROM HOME, published in March 2011 by Kensington Books, is set in 1944 Chicago. The story begins with three roommates, Liz, Betty, and Julia, as women on the cusp of their adult lives. Julia is waiting for her fiancé to return from the war, Liz is getting ready to marry her childhood sweetheart, and Betty has her sights set on joining the USO as a singer. However, things in life don't always happen according to plan.

Liz agrees to pen a letter for Betty to a young serviceman, Morgan McCla

• Season of Second Chances
  • Who Rescued Who
  • The Fragile Hour
  • The Heirloom Garden
  • Rachel's Legacy (Horowitz Chronicles, #2)
  • Saturday's Child: A Daughter's Memoir
  • Swiss Vendetta (Agnes Luthi Mysteries #1)
  • The Soldier's Wife
  • The Star-Crossed Seamstress (The Mannequin #3)
  • The Last Letter from Juliet
  • The Secret Messenger
  • The Sight of You (The Sight of You, #1)
  • The Lieutenant's Nurse
  • All the Flowers in Paris
KRISTINA MCMORRIS is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author. Her novels have garnered more than two dozen literary awards and nominations, including the IMPAC Dublin Literary Award, RWA’s RITA® Award, and a Goodreads Choice Award for Best Historical Fiction. Inspired by true personal and historical accounts, her works of fiction have been published by Penguin Random House, HarperCollins ...more

News & Interviews

“It’s odd, isn’t it? People die every day and the world goes on like nothing happened. But when it’s a person you love, you think everyone should stop and take notice. That they ought to cry and light candles and tell you that you’re not alone.” 198 likes
“Life is too short not to say how you feel to the people you love.” 40 likes