Start by marking “Marker” as Want to Read:
Marker

Marker

Saturday Night Live alum Mel Green draws on events from his life to reveal the dark side of funny. MARKER is his odyssey in search of family - the family that abandoned him, the family he lost and the family he rejected.
Imagine you are fifteen years old. Your adopted father enters your room. A serious man, a physician not known for his delicate bedside manner, he informs y
Published June 14th 2010 by Createspace

To ask other readers questions about Marker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marker

Start your review of Marker
Susan (aka Just My Op)
Feb 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-edition
This is a funny, entertaining novel. Or it is a touching, engaging memoir. Which is it? This “true story of misery and misinformation with an Appendix of Lies” is both, based on the author's life but jumping into the (gene) pool of fiction whenever it suits him. Thus, the appendix of lies.

At any rate, Bert Kelly manages, somehow, to make it to age 30 despite what he learned at 15 in the first sentences of this book.

I'm not saying it was all roses up until the day my father told me, at fifteen ye
Ronda
Sep 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A delicious, provocative and fast-paced journey. This is an author not afraid to expose the painful dark underbelly that all great comedy springs from. Raw as Thompson, angry as Salinger, heartfelt as Irving; relatable and riotously funny.
Genny Entezari
Apr 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a very well-written semi-autobiographical book that seems like a work of catharsis. It is an absolute page turner.

I read this to gain some insight into my family dynamics. Mel is my mom's first cousin. Interestingly it is all about family, his mom, who is probably remarkably like my grandmother (her sister). Pre-feminist artists who lived in an era where being a housewife was the norm for women. Most likely an abusive father (my great-grandfather) and suppressed ambition/desire to use th
Diane Pollock
Nov 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
What if you were 15, on the verge of adulthood, and found out sudddenly that you wouldn't live past 30? Thus begins this engrossing and darkly humorous autobiographical tale. Viginettes from military school, a meth fueled trip to Hawaii, the final confrontation with the mother, great stuff! The only thing that prevented me from giving a 5 star rating was the ambiguity at the end. Does he or doesn't he?
Trish
Oct 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
I was sent this book through one of the drawings and am so grateful to have been selected. I loved it! Nice, easy read and quite fun.
This was a bold and darkly humorous venture through self-discovery. At times i was laughing out loud and at others feeling a deep sense of empathy. Throughout it all, I enjoyed the travel... and the lies :)
Les
Oct 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was a very interesting and entertaining read. It covered a full spectrum of emotions and I found myself feeling each and every one of them as I read through the pages. My only real complaint is that the book was too short. I wanted to read more about "Bert".
Kim Schultz
Oct 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads and I loved it!
Pratyush Singh
Apr 16, 2012
Mel Green
Sep 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Mel
Sep 09, 2012 added it
It's mostly autobiographical. All you could ever want to know about Melgreen ...
Ani
Jae Park
Dean Shuck
Rochelle
1 follower
Mel Green has written on such seminal television series as "Saturday Night Live" and SCTV. After leaving SNL, he developed his popular autobiographical one man show, "Back to the Big O", produced at both Theater East and Theater/Theatre in Los Angeles. He has appeared at the Utah Arts Festival in Salt Lake City with fellow humorist Sandra Tsing Loh and jazz musician Mike Miller and has been featur ...more

News & Interviews

Rumaan Alam began writing Leave the World Behind with a series of tweets on a secret Twitter account he started two years ago.   The book that...