Start by marking “The New World (Chaos Walking, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The New World (Chaos Walking, #0.5)

The New World

(Chaos Walking #0.5)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  9,387 ratings  ·  1,009 reviews
In this dramatic prequel to the award-winning Chaos Walking Trilogy, author Patrick Ness gives us a short story of Viola's journey to the New World.
Published September 27th 2010 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about The New World, please sign up.
Bruce Read this before.
Since this book came out 5yrs after Knife of Never Letting Go,
most have probably read it after. But I will strongly recommend
the op…more
Read this before.
Since this book came out 5yrs after Knife of Never Letting Go,
most have probably read it after. But I will strongly recommend
the opposite.
1) It sets up The Knife of Never Letting Go perfectly, without any spoilers.
2) Because it's so short, it should only take an hour tops to read.
No, it won't ruin the story reading second, but if you read it first, you won't have to break up the story by going back after The Knife of Never Letting Go. And believe me, you'll want to continue to see where it goes.
Hope this helps someone.
anyone(less)
Pam Baddeley I think it must depend on the edition you have (re Rebekah's answer below) as it is not in the UK Walker Books paperback, and I checked all 3 volumes.

·  9,387 ratings  ·  1,009 reviews

Start your review of The New World (Chaos Walking, #0.5)
karen
Jan 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
last quickie, i promise...

after this, i will stay for breakfast and all that. meet the folks.

this is a tiny story, filling in the gaps of viola's life before crash-landing in the swamp, meeting todd, and having terrible and wonderful adventures. it's kind of heartbreaking, seeing her here, and knowing what lies ahead for her, you know? it's nice to get a sense of her family dynamic before she is so roughly removed from it, but i can't help myself from wanting a whole lot more from these characte
Hamad
Oct 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, 2018-reads
This review and other non-spoilery reviews can be found @The Book Prescription

I just read this one before jumping into “The Ask and the Answer”. This is Viola’s back story and it was kind of helpful for the story. It was short and didn’t add much to the story but I don’t regret reading it. It just wasn’t as awesome as book 1.
Choko
Jul 01, 2017 rated it liked it
*** 3 ***

I decided to start this series with this very short prequel novella. We met Viola and her parents, space traveling to a new planet ahead of the rest of their colony, all preparing to settle on a planet after living in space for a long while. Viola is only 13 and she acts like it. I have to hope that after the devastating occurrences in this story she will grow and develop as a character in the series to follow. Let see where we go from here 🙂.
Adita ✨The Slumbering Insomniac✨
Jun 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Serial readers with ADD
★★★★★★★★☆☆[8/10]

⏩ You crash landed on a strange planet.
⏩ Your parents are dead.
⏩ You have no means to contact the mother ship.
⏩ You don't know what is more frightening- not finding any signs of life or coming into contact with a strange civilization- humans, no less.

But, Viola, you'll meet someone. Yes, you'll.

description
kwesi 章英狮
I read the first book of the Chaos Walking series and too bad I did not like it. When I saw the free e-book in Barnes and Noble I did not hesitate to download it because I want to read it again, give it a chance it deserves. So far, I like how Viola Eade survive before their adventure begun. It was a great mystery in the beginning of the book and this answered everything I need to know about Viola.

I did not like Will Todd and how he approach the whole journey, I don't know how he survive by hidi
Emily B
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-story
A nice little addition to the trilogy which is easy to read and interesting. I’m not sure why it took me so long to know it existed.
Dannii Elle
This is a prequel short story to the Chaos Walking trilogy and can be found here.

This is less of a prequel and more of a describing of events from an alternative character's viewpoint. Viola Eades is travelling with her family, via spaceship, to the new world they are hoping to inhabit. They have been chosen as the leading family to begin terraforming the new land in preparation for the rest of their community's arrival. Viola is less than thrilled about their task.

Whilst this was an enjoyable e
Olivia-Savannah  Roach
This was nice enough, but it didn't really add much to the story for me.

I liked the other two short stories a lot as it gave insight into either what happened afterwards, or building up character. But this is the Viola we already know. And unlike the others, it doesn't really have a lot of depth even in the limited way for something short.

Even though it's so short I felt like it kind of got repetitive? And I didn't care as much as with the other two short stories because I knew everything that
Brigid ✩
The Burning Rose (Jess)
“But in my chest, there was still fear, and I didn’t know which kind it was. Fear with hope, or fear without it.”

In this story we are with Viola Eade.
Viola, who according to the first book in the series, known as orphan girl because her parents died when the spaceship crashed. We never knew what happened, how, and when. We find out about it all in this story.
During this short story, we jump between past and present.

Patrick Ness, which is known as an amazing writer, teaches us a very smart less
Shannon (leaninglights)
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a tear-jerker! Gahhh
Marnie  (Enchanted Bibliophile)
Sniff, sniff

T&V

Patrick Ness just have a way to make me cry!
This is the third story of him I've read and al three times I ended up in tears.
Evie
Feb 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pure-awesomeness
Set before the events of The Chaos Walking Trilogy, The New World is a fabulous short story that makes for a great introduction to the series. I loved Chaos Walking Trilogy. I don't think I've ever read a better YA trilogy. EVER.

Patrick Ness is a wonderful storyteller. His writing is electrifying and insanely compelling. I recommend this short story, as well as The Chaos Walking Trilogy, to not only every YA fan out there, but to everyone who enjoys great books, filled with well-drawn character
Eleni Ouzouni (Life is Art)
Ιnteresting short story about Viola past!
Bea
This was so good!! I held my breath for most of it and I’m glad we find out more about how Viola came to New World and what happens to her family. This series is just great!
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This series is so damn sad. The characters can't catch a break anywhere :c
lucie
Jan 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, in-czech
I'm more interested in Viola's story than in Todd's.
Susy
5 stars
Boy, Patrick sure has me crying a lot!
AH
Jan 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young Adult, Science Fiction fans
*wipes tears*

I now have Hope.

What a wonderful start to a series. Young Viola is traveling with her parents to settle a New World. Viola is not happy about her family being chosen to be the first on this world, but she is making do.

I enjoyed how the story flipped back and forth to Viola's life before the voyage and her life on board the ship.

I will definitely be looking at reading this series soon.
Jul 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, childrens, z2015, novella
It was so nice to get a glimpse into Viola's life before she met Todd. I presumed she was a nice quiet girl before she met Todd but the short story showed me she was actually quite different. It was a great short story and the writing was brilliant (like it usually is). I would definitely recommend it.
Ashley Daviau
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a great introduction to the Chaos Walking series and I quite enjoyed getting to know more about how Viola arrived to the New World. She was one of my favourite characters in the first book so I was excited once I started reading this and realized it was from her perspective. It was great to get the whole story of her arrival and all in all, I really enjoyed this story!
Dec 25, 2017 marked it as did-not-finish
Shelves: x-quick-reads
DNF at page 8.

I just couldn’t get into this story.
I saw it was free on NOOK, so I went in without even reading what it was about. Not the book for me.
Alja (alyaofwinterfell)
3 stars

The New World is a nice, short novella which ultimately feels a bit redundant.

I was hoping that this prequel to The Knife of Never Letting Go would expand the universe a bit more, or explain certain events before the books started (such as the settling process, the war etc), so I was slightly disappointed.

The story focuses on Viola and her trip to the New World, and since we already know what has happened, it failed to bring anything new to the story.

I wish that it would have shown us mor
Veronica Morfi
Oct 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was nothing like what I expecting and... I loved it! :)

The story is really great and it made me want to read the next one right away...although I don't own it.

It's the story of how Viola left her home, a space convoy, and head to the new world. With her parents, they are the first to arrive there, but nothing goes as planned!

I'm going to get the next book as soon as I can, I want to know more about this story. Also I loved the authors writing, although it's in present time which I'm never
Justin
Dec 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
I didn't really expect much from this after being blown away by The Knife of Never Letting Go, but I really enjoyed gaining insight into Viola's character and more about how she arrived in the New World.

Can't wait to continue the series. Word on the street is it only gets better.
Basia
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I began the 1st book just moments ago, then paused to read this freebie first. He is such a spectacular writer. I already feel myself falling into Knife of Never Letting Go.

I’m happy I had the opportunity to read this first.

(Free through Barnes & Noble!)
John Velo
Apr 28, 2016 rated it liked it

Right from the start, I knew this short story is gonna end up sad because it's about the events that took place before Viola and her parents' ship land into a crash in New World but somehow, reading it and seeing the story happen before my eyes made things even sadder. This series really have a lot of sadness, tragedy, and chaos in it but...there's always HOPE and that's what I love about it.

A tragic introduction to the beginning of events in the more tragic Knife of Never Letting Go.

*w
majo
Listen, I'm chaos walking trash, so obviously I had to read the novellas.

This short story is about Viola, what happened to her before the events of The Knife of Never Letting Go, and damn, it was sad.
Kinga
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this trilogy ages ago and I still remember how much I loved this series, so finding out that there are two short stories made me overjoyed.

And this one was perfection. It broke my heart, so who am I to complain.
Chella
Aug 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2015, scifi
Chaos Walking is easily one of my favorite YA series and I was thrilled to find it continued with The New World. This story takes us back to a time parallel to the start of The Knife of Letting Go, when Viola and her family are just setting off in their scout ship to scope out their new planet. Viola is a talented and intelligent, but she is very obviously displeased at the impending changes in her life. She is both fears and resents it, as life on the ship is all she's ever known.

The imagery he
2017 Reading Chal...: The New World by Patrick Ness 1 17 Apr 26, 2015 05:05PM
Are there any other editions of this book? 3 39 Mar 06, 2011 01:41AM

• Wither
  • Cusp of Night (Hode's Hill, #1)
  • Livets blod: En Ravnenes hvisken-fortælling
  • Complete Ielts Bands 5-6.5 Workbook with Answers with Audio CD
  • Basic English Grammar: With Answer Key
  • قصص القرآن
  • Sphinx
  • Lucid Dreaming, The Ultimate Guide: Everything You Need to Know to Quickly Achieve Your First Lucid Dream (And Many More)
  • Lou in lockdown
  • Cachafaz / La Sombra de Wenceslao
  • Distant Mirrors: America as a Foreign Culture
  • The Innocent's Story
  • The Fledging of Az Gabrielson
  • The Repossession (Repossession, #1)
Patrick Ness, an award-winning novelist, has written for England’s Radio 4 and Sunday Telegraph and is a literary critic for The Guardian. He has written many books, including the Chaos Walking Trilogy, The Crash of Hennington, Topics About Which I Know Nothing, and A Monster Calls.

He has won numerous awards, including the Guardian Children’s Fiction Prize, the Booktrust Teenage Prize, and the C

Chaos Walking (3 books)
  • The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1)
  • The Ask and the Answer (Chaos Walking, #2)
  • Monsters of Men (Chaos Walking, #3)