Start by marking “Keeping the Moon” as Want to Read:
Keeping the Moon

Keeping the Moon

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  55,322 Ratings  ·  2,509 Reviews
Colie expects the worst when she's sent to spend the summer with her eccentric aunt Mira while her mother, queen of the television infomercial, tours Europe. Always an outcast-first for being fat and then for being "easy"-Colie has no friends at home and doesn't expect to find any in Colby, North Carolina. But then she lands a job at the Last Chance Café and meets fellow w ...more
Published September 15th 2010 by Penguin Group (USA) (first published September 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Keeping the Moon, please sign up.

Aaliyah My personal favorites are; The Truth About Forever, Lock and Key, and What Happened to Goodbye.
Sam_4life:) she has many my favorities are "Along the Ride" and "Just Listen"

Ash
Jan 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I just finished re-reading this book. I first read it a few years back when I was 14 so I've been waiting a while to re-read this book and give it a proper review. I thought that it might be hard for me to get back into since I'd already read it and was worried that I wouldn't like it as much as I did when I was younger. But I found myself just as interested as I was the first time. Laughing at the same parts, anticipating the same things and loving all the characters. Colie is so real and Desse ...more
Aj the Ravenous Reader
“You believed you were beautiful and so did the rest of the world.”

I appreciate Ms.Sarah Dessen’s ability to come up with meaningful stories out of a linear plot which seems true in all her books I’ve read. I don’t believe her books have this gripping power on me as a reader and yet I still keep reading them perhaps because they’re very easy to read.

Keeping the Moon is simply about Colie, a very shy, unconfident girl (despite her mom being a celebrity) who spends her summer with her not so or
Whitney Atkinson
Apr 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
Abby
For me, this wasn't as good as other Sarah Dessen books. And before I even begin reading it, I've had high expectations on this one, because I've read that this is Sarah's favorite among the books she'd written. But it doesn't quite keep me interested in it like her other novels did.

I don't really like Colie (the main character & narrator) that much. She's just usually quiet and doesn't stand up for herself, not until the very end. And I kept waiting for something big to happen, like a twist
Pinky
Nov 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have great news guys! I am finally done my Sarah Dessen marathon! I know I haven't read Someone Like You, but I wasn't planning on reading that book. I am so happy to move onto other books, I loved doing this marathon but I went through many ups and downs. Sometimes, I wasn't a huge fan of her books but most of the time, I loved her books.

HAPPY DANCE!

Colie is a fifteen year old girl who has been bu
Wendy Darling
Not my favorite Dessen, but like all her books that I've read so far, it's compulsively readable and likable, and full of great, quirky characters, honest emotion, and unforgettable settings. I love the way Dessen writes female friendships in particular--they always feel real and nuanced, veering from loving exasperation to crazy joy to impatience to rock-steady love. Just like all the best relationships I've known in real life.
Obsidian
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tbr-2017
Just read if you want to read all the Dessen books. Otherwise, skip it. The book abruptly ends and there's no real closure to Colie's slightly frayed relationship with her mother. One good thing I will say is that I enjoyed Isabel and Morgan's relationship/friendship.

Colie is sent to stay with her Aunt Mia for the summer. Her famous mother is traveling and Colie is shuffled off for the summer. You may initially get the impression that Colie's mother doesn't care, but she does. We just don't get
Colie feels like she has been abandoned, and to anyone else, it might actually look that way to, being dropped off to spend the summer with an Aunt she hardly knows. As Colie tries to adjust to her very different Aunt Mira and her strange artistic tenant, Norman, she lands a waitressing job at the local diner and meets Morgan and Isabel, two girls who have gone through high school and survived. Over the course of the summer Colie finds out this might have been just what she needed.

I really liked
Cora ☕ Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Friendship, confidence, unique, girl-power, change.

This was my first ever Sarah Dessen and I definitely enjoyed it. It was a relatively quick read that I didn't have to focus 100% on - which is a good thing as I was puppy-sitting.

Last Chance was quite empowering. It made me feel good. But it also made me angry. I hate bullies. I can't stand them.

I liked that all of the characters had changed by the end and that you learned so much about them. They were quirky, multi-dimensional and beli
Cara
Jan 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cara by: Ash
My first Dessen read and the one that lead me to her other marvelous novels. I drank the kool-aid once and never turned back.

I need to do a proper review for this one day. It has a good lesson on how other people can help you and that sometimes you are more special than you thought you were. The title fits and is such a cool name.
  • The Secret Life of Prince Charming
  • Take Me There
  • Fixing Delilah
  • Stealing Heaven
  • Girl Overboard
  • Girl at Sea
  • Love and Other Four-Letter Words
  • Love and Peaches (Peaches, #3)
  • Perfect Fifths (Jessica Darling, #5)
  • The Year My Sister Got Lucky
  • Love Story
  • Front and Center (Dairy Queen, #3)
  • Peace, Love, and Baby Ducks
  • Pants on Fire
“You should never be surprised when someone treats you with respect, you should expect it.” 3350 likes
“I don't believe in failure, because simply by saying you've failed, you've admitted you attempted. And anyone who attempts is not a failure. Those who truly fail in my eyes are the ones who never try at all. The ones who sit on the couch and whine and moan and wait for the world to change for them.” 1501 likes