Start by marking “Degrees of Elevation: Short Stories of Contemporary Appalachia” as Want to Read:
Degrees of Elevation: Short Stories of Contemporary Appalachia

Degrees of Elevation: Short Stories of Contemporary Appalachia

Fiction. "Hard, brilliant, and dark as coal, this brand new and necessary volume captures Appalachia today, a place where the old bedrock verities of family, community, belief, work, and the earth itself are all in painful "Upheaval" to use the title of Chris Holbrook's story herein. From manic to elegiac to rough, raw, beautiful, and heartbreaking, these stories will stri ...more
Published November 14th 2010 by Bottom Dog Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Degrees of Elevation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Degrees of Elevation

Start your review of Degrees of Elevation: Short Stories of Contemporary Appalachia
Steven
Sep 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
Started reading this collection and realized I'd read it before but had never posted a review (sorry Charles!). Some of the writers I was already familiar with: Rusty Barnes, Chris Offutt, Scott McClanahan, Ron Rash, and John McManus, and it was great to see their stories represented here. Others were new to me and that is the great benefit of a collection such as this: to find kindred spirits to writers you already enjoy. So this collection introduced me to: Sheldon Lee Compton, Alex Taylor, Ch ...more
Rusty
Oct 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I'm impressed, but biased too. ...more
Andrea
Sep 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
I wanted this book for so long and I finally got a copy. Really good Appalachian stories. Great authors included in this anthology—some of my favorites.
Nicole Northrup
Nov 24, 2020 rated it liked it
This collection had a few stories I really loved and lots that were so so. The underlying themes were poverty, depravation, and violence. I wish I could be more positive about the collection, but I honestly could not recommend it to anyone and I was just glad to finish!
Debra Leigh
Jul 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This collection brings together some of the finest voices in American fiction. Specifically, these are the voices of a fascinating region: Appalachia. The publisher, Bottom Dog Press, has brought forth some stunning work from this region, and it is mighty important material - perhaps one of the most important areas of regional fiction, a region too often overlooked.

I reviewed this collection when it was published, for the New York Journal of Books. Here is some of what I said at the time: "Degr
Kathy
Apr 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Quotable:
I knew about Tallboy’s group therapy. I knew he’d met his girlfriend, Chelsea, there. Miss Mattie said it wasn’t helping him none to sit around with people as bad off in the head as he was.

Anger management classes after the divorce had taught him only one thing – everybody was angry at something, just some more than others. But it was always something, and usually that something was small at first before it caught fire enough to burn entire towns, entire families, into heaps of ash. By
Karen
Apr 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
There are some wonderful stories by many authors I didn't know. Short stories are not popular, but this is definitely a collection worth reading. I don't think literature from this geographical area of the US gets the attention it deserves. ...more
Larry Smith
Jan 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Top fiction from a region of writers and storytellers. Charles Dodd White and Page Seay do an excellent job of bringing the world of Appalachia today to the front. Fine writers include Silas House, Chris Holbrook, Ron Rash, and others. Highly recommended.
Charles White
Sep 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Great writers all the way around. I'm lucky to have had a chance to read their stories. ...more
Ron
May 20, 2012 rated it liked it
A bit uneven. some of the stories were good while some were just so-so.
sylvia woods
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful collection by some of the best writers in this country.
Matt
Dec 29, 2014
Denton
Dec 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Sheri Larkin
Jul 26, 2012
Gonzalo
Jan 12, 2013
Ritta
Nov 13, 2014
Jim
Mar 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Diane Plauche

• Junius and Albert's Adventures in the Confederacy: A Civil War Odyssey
  • Of Dust & Blood: The Battle at Little Big Horn
  • THUGLIT Issue Eleven
  • Anatomy of a Girl Gang
  • Wings of War Adler, Vol. 2: Good or Evil?
  • Adler, l'aigle à deux têtes, Tome 3 - Le choix du moi
  • The Hot Spot
  • The Devil All the Time
  • Town Smokes: Stories
  • Nothing Gold Can Stay: Stories
  • The Tilted World
  • Fun & Games (Charlie Hardie #1)
  • The Other Joseph
  • You Know When the Men Are Gone
  • The Confusion of Languages
Charles Dodd White is the author of four novels, including two from Swallow Press: HOW FIRE RUNS and IN THE HOUSE OF WILDERNESS. He has received the Appalachian Book of the Year Award and the Chaffin Award for his fiction. He lives in Knoxville, Tennessee, where he is an associate professor of English at Pellissippi State Community College.