Start by marking “M or F?” as Want to Read:
M or F?

M or F?

When Frannie is desperate to get the attention of her crush, her fabulous (and gay) best friend Marcus suggests that Frannie chat with him online. Too bad Frannie’s terrified. She won’t type a word without Marcus’s help.

In the chat room, Marcus and Jeffrey hit it off. But the more Marcus writes, the more he’s convinced that Jeffrey is falling for him, not Frannie.<
Published October 5th 2006 by Razorbill (first published October 6th 2005)

Arielle Walker
I read this a long time ago, but I remember it as being very funny, very sweet and with some nice little plot twists to keep things interesting.
Lauren
Feb 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who likes teen lit and truly unique and fun characters
Shelves: own
Izzy Ringer
Apr 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ir
M or F is about two best best best friends. One film loving gay boy and the other an opinionated shy chick who gets all her clothes in a funky thrift shop. These two amazingly compatible teenagers are cheering for eachother to find 'the one'. Frannie (the girl) thinks she's found Mr. Right. Marcus knows she found Mr. Right, but winds up believing that maybe Frannies Mr. Right was actually his Mr. Right.

While reading this book I made a text-to-text connection between M or F and the book Boy Meet
Kathleen
Jul 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
M of F tells the story of Frannie and Marcus, she straight, he gay, who are best friends in high school. A modern reworking of Cyrano de Bergerac, the story was just too predictable for my tastes.

The book alternates between Marcus's voice and Frannie's with Ms. Papademetriou writing for Frannie and her friend, Christopher Tebbets writing the Marcus chapters. Big problem there is that Mr. Tebbets' chapters are so much stronger and more interesting. I wanted to just skip over Frannie entirely and
Delaney Breen
To be honest, I wasn't positive I was going to like this book, but once I started reading it... I felt like I was being sucked into a black hole. That's how much I liked the book. I couldn't put it down! It's so relatable, humorous, full of drama, and...deep. The main characters are teenagers in high school, but I would recommend this book to anyone because it captures the emotions people go through when finding someone the like...even if it's more than friendship. This book is definitely one of ...more
Amber Voigtlander
May 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Personal Review
I think it was a good book because it was about two friends thinking Frannie's crush, Jeffery, was gay. Also the reason I thought it was because it taught that you should not judge someone if they're gay or not.

Plot
The book was about how Frannie likes Jeffrey, and Marcus tries to help her on the school website in a private group chat. After a while, they start to hit it off, and Frannie helped Jeffery with the school program. They start to like each other e
Candido P
Dec 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews
M or F? follows Fannie the quirky hopeless romantic, who has fallen for (the oh so hottest vegetarian activist) Jeffrey, but is too shy to express her feelings towards him. So Marcus the film junkie, aka her gay best friend decides to help make Jeffrey notice her. Though things don’t go as plan when Marcus secretly starts developing feelings for Jeffrey.

Last night I finished reading M or F? when I should have been doing my 4 page paper(I regret nothing). I was halfway through the boo
Christian
Mar 13, 2011 rated it liked it
This is a rather enjoyable adaptation of Cyrano de Bergerac. Girl likes Boy. Girl sees Boy in the high school chat room as he's trying to recruit volunteers for a service project. Girl gets nervous and has Gay Best Friend do the typing in the chat room for her. Comedy and High School Drama ensue from there. There are some fun twists here and there leading up to the final resolution.

Admittedly, I was a bit hesitant about picking up the book at first because it has two authors who alternate cha
Maximilian
Apr 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
The thing about this book is that the summary can be really misleading.
I mean, the summary isn't very...accurate, that might not be the best word to use. It's true that the book makes you laugh, and it is fast paced, so I would definitly recommend this book to anyone who wants to laugh and, be a little surprised.

So here's MY summary of M orF?:

Frannie is a somewhat shy, fashionista, who follows her own trends.
She falls for Jeffrey, a gorgeous, sensitive, and po
Alex Murphy
Dec 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Given the size of the book, figured I'd probably spend some time over two days (or maybe three if I read slowly) going through this.

I spent a couple of hours ripping through it and finished it the day I started. A little slow to initially start up, it really started to pick up some steam as we came to know (and love) Marcus and Frannie, the two protagonists (and best friends). With only one area where it slowed down, the book was what I'd call a rip-roaring good time, despite my hesi
Cara Marie
Jul 03, 2007 rated it really liked it
This was a pretty entertaining romantic comedy sort of book - Hera had told me to read it, but I only just got round to it. Light-hearted YA gay lit. I enjoyed the friendship between brain twins Frannie and Marcus and how they both fell for the same guy - and nice that neither of them actually ended up with him. They were pretty snarky characters. I liked best things like - Frannie line-dancing! Marcus's job at the ice cream parlour! But mostly line-dancing! It was plenty amusing, and if maybe e ...more
↬ Sarah ↫
Ok the best thing about this book is like oh yea i can predict the unexpected twist but thEN ITS THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF WHAT YOU THOUGHT AND YOUR MIND LIKE EXPLODES! But overall this book was incredible and I loved it. The plot was unique, the characters were real, the imagery was vivid. The romance was beautiful, the story was phenomenal, i could not have been more pleased with this book. It's a must read, definitely go check it out <3
Caitlín (Ink Mage)
Mar 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq
This book was really funny! I was literally laughing or giggling aloud in every chapter. It took me about a day to read, mostly because I wanted to see what over-the-top event would happen next. I did think the who-was-gay-and-who-was-not thing was a little unbelievable, but it made for a fun story so who cares. It was kind of like Cyrano de Bergerac crossed with a Shakespearean mix-up!
Krista
Aug 01, 2015 rated it liked it
It was a cute, fun read. I enjoyed getting to see both Frannie and Marcus' view points. They were both great characters with a wonderful friendship. The book wasn't super special but it was great and all of the characters were great!
3.5/5
Jessy
Oct 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book. there were so many unexpected twists and i found myself blushing at the funny embarrassing parts. I also loved the ending. I would read this over and over again, and someday i'll get it myself from the bookstore.
Sofia~
Coyote
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Wow, I happened upon this book at a local booksale and was pretty skeptical at first. "Ah," I thought, reading the summary. "some story about a girl and her ~sassy, gay friend~ fuuun..." But I kept picking it back up, flipping through it, rereading the summary. Something about it just caught my attention. Then I noticed there were two authors, and one of them was male. I think that was the tipping point that landed it in my "to buy" pile.

I couldn't get the book off my mind, and the m
Tyler
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
In the book M or F, there are two best friends who are in high school, who both end up crushing on the same guy. One is Frannie, a girl who’s parents have quite a bit of money, and Marcus, a boy who’s family is little haphazard. Frannie crushes on a guy is her high school. The boy who wants to save the planet and is vegetarian. Of course, Marcus ends up crushing on him. This all started because Frannie couldn’t talk to her crush on her own, so she got Marcus to do it for her. I loved the way the ...more
Mel Geronazzo
Dec 06, 2017 rated it liked it
A bit of a strange book, I must say, but it was surprisingly realistic and I felt slight twinges of nostalgia for old high school shenanigans.
I would have rated it higher except I don't feel like to ME it's a 4 star book, as there were some nit-picks I had with it and I probably won't re-read it anytime in the foreseeable future.
I am quite happy I finally picked this up after it being on my shelf for over a year, the ending felt a bit forced and it employed quite a few minor irritati
Stacy
Nov 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: firstreads
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for my unbiased opinion.

Frannie and Marcus have been best friends since they met on the first day of high school. When Frannie confesses to Marcus that she has a huge crush on Jeffrey, one of the boys at their school, Marcus encourages Frannie to go for it. Frannie is unsure what to say, so Marcus helps her chat with Jeffrey online. Eventually, Marcus starts chatting to Jeffrey as Frannie without her knowing, and he begins to wonder if Jeffr
Danii Allen
Apr 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbtq, 2019-popsugar
Read as part of the PopSugar Reading Challenge 2019, to fill 16) A book with a question in the title.

Honestly not really sure how I feel about this book, and no idea what I really want my star rating to be. I enjoyed it, I think? It's better than the garbage summary makes it sound, anyway. And holy shit is it full of misdirects. It was good, but there were a few morally and ethically questionable decisions which ended up being laughed off which I'm not super comfortable with (view spoiler) ...more
Kat Meyer-Reed
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
89%

Spoilers Ahead

Surprisingly funny and original. Made me laugh out loud on multiple occasions. Gotta admit, it was really nice to read about a friendship between a straight girl and a gay boy that didn't fit the GBF mold. He wasn't her sidekick/stylist/pet. They were friends, and their friendship was mutually supportive and healthy (for the most part).
I liked that Jock Glenn ended up being gay and Intellectual/Social Justice Dude Jeffrey was straight. The romance aspect
Kat
Mar 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Cute and quirky.

Girl likes boy. Girl get gay best friend to talk to boy for her because she ridiculously awkward-shy. Best friend starts to believe that boy likes him and not her.

It get super twisty and flip-flopped. Like all teen drama-mances, you'll get your heartstrings tweaked and this one tweaked mine a little. It was a quick read and while it wasn't one of those ones that get you overly invested to the point where you're obsessed, I found it to be adorable.

Full Review:<
Ashe
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay this had a few cringy lines so I was ready to give it three stars but the ending was awesome. Who Marcus ended up with? 👌🏻 I also liked how it ended with frannie too (though I found her kind of annoying for a good part of the book). I’ve been in a major reading slump because of mortal instruments so this was the best book to take a break with. It’s not anything ground breaking but it’s a very fun light hearted read when you want something nice.
Valeriemargaretanne
Jul 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Admittedly I am not in the target age group for this books, so it may be unfair to rate it. Overall I thought it was cute and enjoyable. The characters were likeable and human, and the plot had a few good twists. I found the pacing in some of the chapters a little jarring. The narrative didn’t quite flow at times and some of the transitions were too abrupt. Overall a fun read.
Madison Anholt
Mar 17, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was such a fun read! I enjoyed the characters a lot, and the writing style was fun and light. There were plot twists which made the book interesting. I finished the book very quickly because it was so good but also really short. I recommend this to anyone who wants a light-hearted read that will make you feel happy inside.
Jesus
Dec 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
M or F? Is mainly about a girl named Frannie who likes this guy named Marcus. Marcus Is a gay and Frannie went to talk to him one day and she was well surprised. M or F? is really fun and enjoyable read very recommended to teens in high school.
Haleigh Lee
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
this book was so amazing i loved every bit of it.
piratesPencil
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
A cute, snappy story that draws you in immediately. I read it years ago and it was just as good as a reread. (A lot of the internet/chat room slang is endearingly
outdated, though.)
Selena
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I wanted to read this book for a very long time and I was not disappointed.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• David Inside Out
  • Is He Or Isn't He?
  • My Father's Scar
  • Out of the Pocket
  • Rainbow High (Rainbow Trilogy, #2)
  • The Last Chance Texaco
  • Outtakes of A Walking Mistake
  • Boy Girl Boy
  • Two Parties, One Tux, and a Very Short Film about The Grapes of Wrath
  • Alt Ed
  • Tips on Having a Gay (Ex) Boyfriend (Belle, #1)
  • Hello, Groin
  • The Evolution of Ethan Poe
Bestselling author Lisa Papademetriou is the author of the 'Confectionately Yours' series, 'Middle School: Big, Fat Liar' and 'Homeroom Diaries' (both with James Patterson), and many other novels for middle grade and young adult readers. Her books have appeared on the Bank Street Best Books of the Year list, the NYPL Books for the Teen Age, and the Texas Lone Star Reading List, among others. A for ...more