Start by marking “Red Bones (Shetland Island, #3)” as Want to Read:
Red Bones (Shetland Island, #3)

Red Bones (Shetland Island #3)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  8,092 Ratings  ·  571 Reviews
When a young archaeologist discovers a set of human remains, the locals are intrigued. Is it an ancient find - or a more contemporary mystery? Then an elderly woman fatally is shot and Ann Cleeves's popular series detective Jimmy Perez is called in. In Red Bones, a claustrophobic mists swirl around the Shetland Islands, and Inspector Perez finds himself totally in the dark ...more
Published September 28th 2010 by Minotaur Books (first published 2009)

Phrynne
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4000-books
Number three in this excellent series set in the Shetland Islands.
I am probably repeating myself from reviews of the earlier books, but I really enjoy the author's descriptions of the scenery and the lifestyle. The characters grow up, marry and grow old on the islands, some of them never venturing far away at all, even for a holiday! Nevertheless, even in this quiet backwater place people are still murdered and detective Jimmy Perez is called to solve the crimes.
I had already seen the TV episo
Richard Derus
Dec 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
2017 UPDATE: The TV series based on the idea of the books is on Netflix in the US. Aired four years ago, and you can tell:

PEREZ: For more holiday lets? Christ Duncan you're turning into Shetland's answer to Donald Trump.

DUNCAN: *laughs*

That line spoken in Scotland today would lead to blows and severed friendships.

Rating: 4.125* of five

The Publisher Says: When a young archaeologist studying on a site at Whalsay discovers a set of human remains, the island settlers are intrigued. Is it an ancient
Liz
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Each book in this series has gotten progressively better, and Red Bones was a wonderful read. Cleeves uses the Shetland Island setting to maximum advantage, really bringing the story to life and the characters into vivid detail. And I'll be darned if I could figure out who the murderer was! Looking forward to the next in line.
Nancy Day
Jan 30, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If I wasn't so intrigued with the climate and culture of the Shetlands, I would have stopped reading this book after the first few chapters. She does do a good job describing the unique characteristics of this incredibly interesting locale, but beyond that, what a lousy "thriller." The two main cops are riddled with self-doubt and self-deprecation, but not in a cool, Harry Hole kind of way, in the "gosh, I hope I get the girl!" and "how can I get my dad to like me?" way. Sure, part of the human ...more
Lisa
Mar 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this series - cosy murder mystery set in Shetland Isles - will certainly be working my way through these!
Teresa
Detective Jimmy Perez is called in to investigate after an elderly woman is shot dead in the island community of Whalsay. Then a young archeologist working an ancient site discovers human remains causing much speculation locally. When a suspicious death occurs the Procurator Fiscal is prepared to call it suicide but Jimmy is wary and continues to investigate. Two deaths in a small rural community is extremely suspect. Could there be a murderer on the lose in Whalsay? Who will be next? Jimmy is c ...more
Γιώτα Παπαδημακοπούλου
Το τρίτο βιβλίο της σειράς "Σέτλαντ Άιλαντ" της Ann Cleeves, με τίτλο "Κόκκινα οστά", έφτασε στη χώρα μας, για μία ακόμη φορά με την υπογραφή των εκδόσεων Κλειδάριθμος. Ο Τζίμι Πέρεζ επιστρέφει για ν' αναλάβει άλλη μια μυστηριώδη υπόθεση, καταφέρνοντας και πάλι να μας παρασύρει στα ομιχλώδη τοπία του Σέτλαντ, αναζητώντας μαζί του τη λύση του γρίφου καλείται να λύσει. Και για μία ακόμη φορά, δεν μας απογοητεύει, προσφέροντάς μας μια ιστορία γοητευτική και τρομακτική, ένα αγωνιώδες θρίλερ, τα κομμ ...more
Bettie☯
mp3 workaday

Red Bones [2009] , 11 hours 24 mins,

blurb: An island shrouded in mist and a community with secrets buried in the past . . .When a young archaeologist studying on a site at Whalsay discovers a set of human remains, the island settlers are intrigued. Is it an ancient find – or a more contemporary mystery? Then an elderly woman is shot in a tragic accident in the middle of the night. Shetland detective Jimmy Perez is called in by her grandson – his own colleague, Sandy Wilson. The spa
Larraine
Jun 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the third book in the "Shetland Quartet" featuring Detective Jimmy Perez, who despite having a Spanish surname, is a "multigenerational" Shetland islander. This book features Sandy, a police officer, who is thought to be rather stupid and only capable of doing plodding work that can be directed by his superiors. Bones are found at an archaeological dig. The question is how old are they? Then Sandy's grandmother is found dead, the suspect is quickly found although it seems to be an accide ...more
Jill Manske
It took a long time (more than 50 pages) to warm up to this book. It starts really, really slowly. And it takes awhile to get used to the Scottish slang and phrases. It was interesting in that I learned a lot about the Shetland Islands and the bleak existence that islanders share. And the mystery was ok - more like an Agatha Christie novel than anything else. It was frustrating because the police seemed so inept. Maybe we watch too much CSI and maybe small villages in Scotland don't have access ...more
Ram Kaushik
Feb 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Reasonably gripping read and respectable member of Ms. Cleeves excellent Shetland series. Couldn't help thinking that this needed some tighter editing. Much rambling about various characters' childhood experiences in the name of building "atmosphere" could have been safely discarded by a more brutal editor. Still, a decent read on a rainy afternoon or a flight.
Susan
Jun 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mysteries
Interesting setting on the Shetland islands, an archeological dig, past scandals and mysterious disappearances, an unexpected death--all very promising, but this book is like an oatmeal cookie with too few raisins. There was so much of the detectives' internal maunderings about their life issues that it distracted from the suspense.
Carol  ꧁꧂
The pace was a bit slow at the start & some of the police actions are a bit odd, but this book has some beautiful descriptions of the Shetlands & it builds to a genuinely surprising ending.
John Johnston
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Instead of doing an overview or review of Red Bones by Ann Cleeves: I elected to provide these general comments on the Shetland Island series and its protagonist, Inspector Detective Jimmy Perez. This book indeed does the slow burn and it does take awhile for the plot to get warmed up and running. A lot of reviewers like to comment on the ‘character development’, I tend to think that Ann Cleeves likes to write more about ‘character relationships’

The Shetland Islands is a remote area with a close
Ioanna Boudouridou
Συμπαθητική πλοκή θα έλεγα, αν και το ενδιαφέρον ξεκίνησε αφού διάβασα αρκετές σελίδες. Δεν ξέρω τι μου φταίει και δεν ενθουσιάστηκα.... Οι χαρακτήρες μου φάνηκαν λίγοι... τα γεγονότα γινόνταν κάπως βιαστηκά... Σίγουρα ήθελα περισσότερο σασπένς, γιατί η ιστορία από μόνη της ήταν πολύ ενδιαφέρουσα και στα πλαίσια του γούστου μου!
Suzy
Sep 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
I continue to like this series set in the Shetland Islands, this one revolving around an archaeological dig of what is thought to be a merchant's house from the 1500's. If it turns out to be true, it will be quite a discovery and will likely lead to the reconstruction of the home and a visitor's center focusing on the history of the island of Walsey and its possible involvement in the Hanseatic League. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanseat... The dig and thinking about the Hanseatic League and S ...more
Mary Gilligan-Nolan
Book 3. in the "Shetlands Quartet" and another one I loved. This one takes us to Sandy's homeland on Whalsay, renowned for its friendly Islanders, and while Sandy is home on a visit, his grandmother is shot dead one dark night outside her farmhouse and he finds her body. His cousin, Ronald, who is out shooting rabbits, is thought to have shot her accidentally There is an archaeological dig taking place on Mima's land (Sandy's grandmother) and the PhD student in charge of the dig, Hattie James, h ...more
Minty McBunny
Nov 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, november-2013
I enjoyed this book as much as I did Raven Black. I thought White Nights was the best of them so far, the formula feels a little worn after 3 in a row and I felt the action dragged in some places. Like the first book, it didn't give me as much of a sense of the Shetlands as I would have liked. But I enjoy Perez, I liked the deeper look into Sandy's life. I'm looking forward to the fourth book, I missed Fran's presence in this one.
Nancy
Sep 10, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: didn-t-finish
The first book in this series grabbed me from page one and I couldn't put it down. Second one not so much, but I still enjoyed it. I made it to chapter 11 in book 3 and decided it's time to take the book back to the library. Too much jumping around and there's minimal development of the new characters or the existing ones in my opinion. I wanted to like this series, but it just didn't happen.
Gary
Jul 22, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did enjoy this book but was a little confused at times due to the amount of characters and the jumping around of the plot. I have since learnt that this is the third book in the series so maybe reading the other 2 books first would have helped.
Nevertheless I enjoyed it enough to try other Ann Cleeves books.
Christine
Feb 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Archeology students on a remote island uncover bones, which leads to two deaths and a mystery for Jimmy Perez to solve. This time his police sidekick Sandy and his family are at the heart of the drama. Another slow burning read set in the Shetland islands. Not one of my favourites of the series. Enjoyable though.
Harini Srinivasan
Decentish. I thought at first I had found a new favourite mystery writer, but though I thoroughly enjoyed the brooding atmosphere, the local colour, and the characters, the denouement was rather disappointing. But I shall reserve judgement until I've read a few more of her books.
Jo
Jun 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers
Red Bones
By Ann Cleeves
Synopsis
When a young archaeologist studying on a site at Whalsay discovers a set of human remains, the island settlers are intrigued. Is it an ancient find - or a more contemporary mystery?
Then an elderly woman is shot in a tragic accident in the middle of the night. Shetland detective Jimmy Perez is called in by her grandson - his own colleague, Sandy Wilson.
The sparse landscape and the empti
Φίλιππος
May 14, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
ΚΟΚΚΙΝΑ ΟΣΤΑ - ANN CLEEVES

Ένα καταπληκτικό βιβλίο...αν πάσχεις από αϋπνίες και θέλεις να σε παίρνει ο ύπνος τα βράδια! Τόσο αργό, που με μεγαλύτερο ενδιαφέρον και αγωνία θα παρακολουθούσα αγώνες σαλιγκαριών...Ή έστω σεξ ανάμεσα σε δρυοκολάπτες!!! Μπλα μπλα μπλα μπλα, και περισσότερο ανούσιο μπλα μπλα για 400 σελίδες, μέχρι να φτάσεις στις τελευταίες σελίδες και να σου αποκαλύψει τον/την ένοχο και τους λόγους πίσω από το έγκλημα...καλά κρασά χωριανοί!
Σκεφτόμουν να το παρατήσω από τις πρώτες εκα
Malissa
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was a little slower for me than books one and two but maybe because my ebook loan expire halfway through, and I had to wait on hold you finish. Love the setting of this series and the characterization. And I never guess or remember the end (even when I've aleady seen the TV series episode based on the book). I will say, though, that I don't find them to be what I think of as thriller pacing. That's not a criticism so much as an observation, but maybe worth noting.
Pam
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ann Cleeves is a master at tone, atmosphere, and setting—whether she’s describing a run down croft nestled into a hillside or a posh home in a well appointed home in London. The murders her main character, Jimmy Perez, solves are never simple or obvious. Her characters are nuanced and flawed, but you grow fond of them, nonetheless. I’m reading them out of order. Try not to do that.
Colin Mitchell
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
A very good police procedural novel set in the Shetland Isle. This one sees Insp. Perez investigating the violent death's of his DC Sandy Wilson's grandmother Mima and a young archaeologist Hattie James. The story has intrigue from the past, unexplained wealth and the very close nature of the small community on Shetlands neighbouring island of Whalsay.

Well written and a good well constructed plot.
Alessandra
Leggermente sotto tono rispetto ai due precedenti, più lento, meno giallo e più romanzo. Incentrato prevalentemente sulle varie figure di madre, sul rapporto madri-figli, sui rapporti fra madri. Unica costante: nemmeno stavolta ho indovinato chi fosse il colpevole.
Janellyn51
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
My 3rd Shetland mystery. I'm in love with the Shetland Isles now. After the last book, I couldn't wait to get back. This one didn't have much going on in the first couple hundred pages. People got murdered alright, but it kind of poked along. Fran was away, and there was less of Jimmy. Mima was an interesting character. And while it would make sense for the men to import new blood, the women don't really seem cut out for it. Sandy was more featured in this one. And towards the end it got excitin ...more
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!
Play Book Tag: Red Bones by Ann Cleeves - 4 stars 1 8 Jun 18, 2018 09:23PM
The Mystery, Crim...: Ann Cleeves 9 283 Sep 14, 2015 11:28PM
  • A Room Full of Bones (Ruth Galloway, #4)
  • The Lewis Man (The Lewis Trilogy, #2)
  • Necessary as Blood (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James #13)
  • A Question of Identity (Simon Serrailler, #7)
  • Lying Dead (DI Marjory Fleming #3)
  • The Reckoning (Maeve Kerrigan, #2)
  • Driftnet (Rhona MacLeod #1)
  • The Raven's Eye (Brock & Kolla, #12)
  • The End of the Wasp Season (Alex Morrow, #2)
Ann is the author of the books behind ITV's VERA, now in it's third series, and the BBC's SHETLAND, which will be aired in December 2012. Ann's DI Vera Stanhope series of books is set in Northumberland and features the well loved detective along with her partner Joe Ashworth. Ann's Shetland series bring us DI Jimmy Perez, investigating in the mysterious, dark, and beautiful Shetland Islands...

Ann
More about Ann Cleeves

Shetland Island (8 books)
  • Raven Black (Shetland Island, #1)
  • White Nights (Shetland Island, #2)
  • Blue Lightning (Shetland Island, #4)
  • Dead Water (Shetland Island, #5)
  • Thin Air (Shetland Island, #6)
  • Cold Earth (Shetland Island, #7)
  • Wild Fire (Shetland Island, #8)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Bricklayer (Steve Vail, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Among the Wicked (Kate Burkholder #8)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Snow Garden
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Almost Dead (Lizzy Gardner #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Frost (Dewberry Farm Mysteries, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Remains of Innocence (Joanna Brady, #16)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Finding Claire Fletcher (Claire Fletcher, #1)
  • Outfoxed
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Huntress Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Last Witness (C.J. Townsend Thriller)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead Weight (Lizzy Gardner #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Weekend Warriors (Sisterhood)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Eye for an Eye (Dewey Andreas, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Short Drop (Gibson Vaughn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • You Only Live Twice (James Bond, #12)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Thunderball (James Bond, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Casino Royale (James Bond, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • For Your Eyes Only (James Bond, #8)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Live and Let Die (James Bond, #2)
  • Dr. No
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Moonraker (James Bond, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Diamonds are Forever (James Bond)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Spy Who Loved Me (James Bond, #10)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • From Russia With Love (James Bond, #5)
  • The Blinds
  • Little Boy Lost
  • Blonde Faith
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Deadly Business
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Private Justice (Newpointe 911, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Cutting Room (C.J. Townsend Thriller Book 3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • First to Kill (Nathan McBride, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • In the Barren Ground
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blood Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Lie In Wait (Canaan Crime #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Legacy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Fierce Radiance
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Her Final Breath (Tracy Crosswhite, #2)
  • The Taxidermist's Daughter
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Depraved Heart (Kay Scarpetta, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Standing in Another Man's Grave (Inspector Rebus, #18)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • In the Clearing (Tracy Crosswhite, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cop Hater (87th Precinct, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Jekyll Revelation
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Book of Beloved
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
  • Afterlife
  • The Vines
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsessed (Lizzy Gardner #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • River's Edge (Cape Refuge Series, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Pedigree To Die For (A Melanie Travis Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
  • Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kane and Abel (Kane and Abel, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bone Music (Burning Girl, #1)
  • In the Blue Hour
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cold Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #3)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Stirred (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels #8)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Raven Black (Shetland Island, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Trapped Girl (Tracy Crosswhite, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Neon Lawyer (Brigham Theodore, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Coyote Waits (Navajo Mysteries, #10)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Sinister Pig (Navajo Mysteries, #16)
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Kept Woman (Will Trent #8)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Snowblind (Dark Iceland #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Medicine (V.I. Warshawski, #4)
    $8.49 $1.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
  • Playing Dead
  • Look Behind You
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Where the Memories Lie
    $4.99 $1.99
  • White Nights (Shetland Island, #2)
  • Nineteen Seventy Four
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Close to Home (Tracy Crosswhite, #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Wrath (Luis Chavez, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Three (Codename: Chandler, #3)
  • The Hollow Men: A Novel
    $15.95 $1.99
  • Tyrannosaur Canyon
    $8.99 $2.99
  • What She Doesn't Know
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Pope of Palm Beach: A Novel (Serge Storms)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Night Bird (Frost Easton, #1)
  • Flood (Burke, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Pretty Little Killers (The Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The House of Memory (Pluto's Snitch #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
“Anna opened her eyes and saw a pair of hands, streaked and shiny with blood. No face.” 1 likes
“came” 0 likes