Start by marking “Red Bones (Shetland Island, #3)” as Want to Read:
Red Bones (Shetland Island, #3)

Red Bones

(Shetland Island #3)

When a young archaeologist discovers a set of human remains, the locals are intrigued. Is it an ancient find - or a more contemporary mystery? Then an elderly woman fatally is shot and Ann Cleeves's popular series detective Jimmy Perez is called in. In Red Bones, a claustrophobic mists swirl around the Shetland Islands, and Inspector Perez finds himself totally in the dark ...more
Published September 28th 2010 by Minotaur Books (first published 2009)

Phrynne
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4000-books
Number three in this excellent series set in the Shetland Islands.
I am probably repeating myself from reviews of the earlier books, but I really enjoy the author's descriptions of the scenery and the lifestyle. The characters grow up, marry and grow old on the islands, some of them never venturing far away at all, even for a holiday! Nevertheless, even in this quiet backwater place people are still murdered and detective Jimmy Perez is called to solve the crimes.
I had already seen the TV episo
Richard Derus
Dec 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
2017 UPDATE: The TV series based on the idea of the books is on Netflix in the US. Aired four years ago, and you can tell:

PEREZ: For more holiday lets? Christ Duncan you're turning into Shetland's answer to Donald Trump.

DUNCAN: *laughs*

That line spoken in Scotland today would lead to blows and severed friendships.

Rating: 4.125* of five

The Publisher Says: When a young archaeologist studying on a site at Whalsay discovers a set of human remains, the island settlers are intrigued. Is it an ancient
Liz
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Each book in this series has gotten progressively better, and Red Bones was a wonderful read. Cleeves uses the Shetland Island setting to maximum advantage, really bringing the story to life and the characters into vivid detail. And I'll be darned if I could figure out who the murderer was! Looking forward to the next in line.
Nancy Day
Jan 30, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If I wasn't so intrigued with the climate and culture of the Shetlands, I would have stopped reading this book after the first few chapters. She does do a good job describing the unique characteristics of this incredibly interesting locale, but beyond that, what a lousy "thriller." The two main cops are riddled with self-doubt and self-deprecation, but not in a cool, Harry Hole kind of way, in the "gosh, I hope I get the girl!" and "how can I get my dad to like me?" way. Sure, part of the human ...more
Sushi (寿司)
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sandy finalmente ha i suoi riflettori. Il libro è incentrato su di lui e la sua famiglia. Il tutto sull'isola di Whalsay. Un ottimo stacco dopo due libri incentrati su Perez.

Alla fine (view spoiler)
Lisa
Mar 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this series - cosy murder mystery set in Shetland Isles - will certainly be working my way through these!
Teresa
Detective Jimmy Perez is called in to investigate after an elderly woman is shot dead in the island community of Whalsay. Then a young archeologist working an ancient site discovers human remains causing much speculation locally. When a suspicious death occurs the Procurator Fiscal is prepared to call it suicide but Jimmy is wary and continues to investigate. Two deaths in a small rural community is extremely suspect. Could there be a murderer on the lose in Whalsay? Who will be next? Jimmy is c ...more
Γιώτα Παπαδημακοπούλου
Το τρίτο βιβλίο της σειράς "Σέτλαντ Άιλαντ" της Ann Cleeves, με τίτλο "Κόκκινα οστά", έφτασε στη χώρα μας, για μία ακόμη φορά με την υπογραφή των εκδόσεων Κλειδάριθμος. Ο Τζίμι Πέρεζ επιστρέφει για ν' αναλάβει άλλη μια μυστηριώδη υπόθεση, καταφέρνοντας και πάλι να μας παρασύρει στα ομιχλώδη τοπία του Σέτλαντ, αναζητώντας μαζί του τη λύση του γρίφου καλείται να λύσει. Και για μία ακόμη φορά, δεν μας απογοητεύει, προσφέροντάς μας μια ιστορία γοητευτική και τρομακτική, ένα αγωνιώδες θρίλερ, τα κομμ ...more
Dinnu Reads Books
Sünge krimka, kus lahenduskäik tundub ehtsam kui tavaliselt kombeks. Pärast järjekordset Cleeves'i raamatu lugemist on tunne, et saarerahvad on üks omaette tõug ohtlikke inimesi :D
Bettie☯
mp3 workaday

Red Bones [2009] , 11 hours 24 mins,

blurb: An island shrouded in mist and a community with secrets buried in the past . . .When a young archaeologist studying on a site at Whalsay discovers a set of human remains, the island settlers are intrigued. Is it an ancient find – or a more contemporary mystery? Then an elderly woman is shot in a tragic accident in the middle of the night. Shetland detective Jimmy Perez is called in by her grandson – his own colleague, Sandy Wilson. The spa
Larraine
Jun 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the third book in the "Shetland Quartet" featuring Detective Jimmy Perez, who despite having a Spanish surname, is a "multigenerational" Shetland islander. This book features Sandy, a police officer, who is thought to be rather stupid and only capable of doing plodding work that can be directed by his superiors. Bones are found at an archaeological dig. The question is how old are they? Then Sandy's grandmother is found dead, the suspect is quickly found although it seems to be an accide ...more
Jill Manske
It took a long time (more than 50 pages) to warm up to this book. It starts really, really slowly. And it takes awhile to get used to the Scottish slang and phrases. It was interesting in that I learned a lot about the Shetland Islands and the bleak existence that islanders share. And the mystery was ok - more like an Agatha Christie novel than anything else. It was frustrating because the police seemed so inept. Maybe we watch too much CSI and maybe small villages in Scotland don't have access ...more
Susan
Jun 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mysteries
Interesting setting on the Shetland islands, an archeological dig, past scandals and mysterious disappearances, an unexpected death--all very promising, but this book is like an oatmeal cookie with too few raisins. There was so much of the detectives' internal maunderings about their life issues that it distracted from the suspense.
Angela
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a bit slow at the beginning. Shetland Islands, Archeaological dig, crofts, secrets, families
Nancy
Sep 10, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: didn-t-finish
The first book in this series grabbed me from page one and I couldn't put it down. Second one not so much, but I still enjoyed it. I made it to chapter 11 in book 3 and decided it's time to take the book back to the library. Too much jumping around and there's minimal development of the new characters or the existing ones in my opinion. I wanted to like this series, but it just didn't happen.
Gary
Jul 22, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did enjoy this book but was a little confused at times due to the amount of characters and the jumping around of the plot. I have since learnt that this is the third book in the series so maybe reading the other 2 books first would have helped.
Nevertheless I enjoyed it enough to try other Ann Cleeves books.
Christine
Feb 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Archeology students on a remote island uncover bones, which leads to two deaths and a mystery for Jimmy Perez to solve. This time his police sidekick Sandy and his family are at the heart of the drama. Another slow burning read set in the Shetland islands. Not one of my favourites of the series. Enjoyable though.
Ram Kaushik
Feb 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Reasonably gripping read and respectable member of Ms. Cleeves excellent Shetland series. Couldn't help thinking that this needed some tighter editing. Much rambling about various characters' childhood experiences in the name of building "atmosphere" could have been safely discarded by a more brutal editor. Still, a decent read on a rainy afternoon or a flight.
Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂
The pace was a bit slow at the start & some of the police actions are a bit odd, but this book has some beautiful descriptions of the Shetlands & it builds to a genuinely surprising ending.
John Johnston
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Instead of doing an overview or review of Red Bones by Ann Cleeves: I elected to provide these general comments on the Shetland Island series and its protagonist, Inspector Detective Jimmy Perez. This book indeed does the slow burn and it does take awhile for the plot to get warmed up and running. A lot of reviewers like to comment on the ‘character development’, I tend to think that Ann Cleeves likes to write more about ‘character relationships’

The Shetland Islands is a remote area with a close
LOUISE FIELDER
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another book lost on my shelf. It actually is book 3 of a 4 book series.
Raven Black & White Nights preceeded it and Blue Lightning follows.
But each book stands alone.
This book takes place in the Shetland isles and the scenery and way of life of the highlanders comes across in vivid detail.
The mystery progresses rapidly and keeps you interested.
The ending may be a little weak, I was waiting for a stronger climax.
But I enjoyed it.
Her first novel in the series Raven Black won her best Crime No
erica
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
always nice to visit shetland with inspector perez! I found this one a bit less smooth too read. and I felt a few facts had been omitted, which left me confused.
I'm also trying not to compare tv shetland with book shetland since they are vastly different!
Ioanna Boudouridou
Συμπαθητική πλοκή θα έλεγα, αν και το ενδιαφέρον ξεκίνησε αφού διάβασα αρκετές σελίδες. Δεν ξέρω τι μου φταίει και δεν ενθουσιάστηκα.... Οι χαρακτήρες μου φάνηκαν λίγοι... τα γεγονότα γινόνταν κάπως βιαστηκά... Σίγουρα ήθελα περισσότερο σασπένς, γιατί η ιστορία από μόνη της ήταν πολύ ενδιαφέρουσα και στα πλαίσια του γούστου μου!
Suzy
Sep 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
I continue to like this series set in the Shetland Islands, this one revolving around an archaeological dig of what is thought to be a merchant's house from the 1500's. If it turns out to be true, it will be quite a discovery and will likely lead to the reconstruction of the home and a visitor's center focusing on the history of the island of Walsey and its possible involvement in the Hanseatic League. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanseat... The dig and thinking about the Hanseatic League and S ...more
Mary Gilligan-Nolan
Book 3. in the "Shetlands Quartet" and another one I loved. This one takes us to Sandy's homeland on Whalsay, renowned for its friendly Islanders, and while Sandy is home on a visit, his grandmother is shot dead one dark night outside her farmhouse and he finds her body. His cousin, Ronald, who is out shooting rabbits, is thought to have shot her accidentally There is an archaeological dig taking place on Mima's land (Sandy's grandmother) and the PhD student in charge of the dig, Hattie James, h ...more
Minty McBunny
Nov 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, november-2013
I enjoyed this book as much as I did Raven Black. I thought White Nights was the best of them so far, the formula feels a little worn after 3 in a row and I felt the action dragged in some places. Like the first book, it didn't give me as much of a sense of the Shetlands as I would have liked. But I enjoy Perez, I liked the deeper look into Sandy's life. I'm looking forward to the fourth book, I missed Fran's presence in this one.
Harini Srinivasan
Decentish. I thought at first I had found a new favourite mystery writer, but though I thoroughly enjoyed the brooding atmosphere, the local colour, and the characters, the denouement was rather disappointing. But I shall reserve judgement until I've read a few more of her books.
Ingrid
Nov 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't find it a real page turner like the other two, but it was good anyway.
Jo
Jun 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers
Red Bones
By Ann Cleeves
Synopsis
When a young archaeologist studying on a site at Whalsay discovers a set of human remains, the island settlers are intrigued. Is it an ancient find - or a more contemporary mystery?
Then an elderly woman is shot in a tragic accident in the middle of the night. Shetland detective Jimmy Perez is called in by her grandson - his own colleague, Sandy Wilson.
The sparse landscape and the empti
Φίλιππος ²³
ΚΟΚΚΙΝΑ ΟΣΤΑ - ANN CLEEVES

Ένα καταπληκτικό βιβλίο...αν πάσχεις από αϋπνίες και θέλεις να σε παίρνει ο ύπνος τα βράδια! Τόσο αργό, που με μεγαλύτερο ενδιαφέρον και αγωνία θα παρακολουθούσα αγώνες σαλιγκαριών...Ή έστω σεξ ανάμεσα σε δρυοκολάπτες!!! Μπλα μπλα μπλα μπλα, και περισσότερο ανούσιο μπλα μπλα για 400 σελίδες, μέχρι να φτάσεις στις τελευταίες σελίδες και να σου αποκαλύψει τον/την ένοχο και τους λόγους πίσω από το έγκλημα...καλά κρασά χωριανοί!
Σκεφτόμουν να το παρατήσω από τις πρώτες εκα
Saucy Wenches Boo...: Red Bones [July 2019] 1 1 Mar 31, 2019 09:50PM
Play Book Tag: Red Bones by Ann Cleeves - 4 stars 2 13 Jan 12, 2019 11:46AM
The Mystery, Crim...: Ann Cleeves 9 283 Sep 14, 2015 11:28PM

• The Outcast Dead (Ruth Galloway, #6)
  • Water Like a Stone (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #11)
  • The Lewis Man (The Lewis Trilogy, #2)
  • Standing in Another Man's Grave (Inspector Rebus, #18)
  • The Pure in Heart (Simon Serrailler, #2)
  • The Reckoning (Maeve Kerrigan, #2)
  • The Darkness & the Deep (DI Marjory Fleming #2)
  • Singing to the Dead (Anderson & Costello, #2)
  • Resolution (Garnethill, #3)
Ann is the author of the books behind ITV's VERA, now in it's third series, and the BBC's SHETLAND, which will be aired in December 2012. Ann's DI Vera Stanhope series of books is set in Northumberland and features the well loved detective along with her partner Joe Ashworth. Ann's Shetland series bring us DI Jimmy Perez, investigating in the mysterious, dark, and beautiful Shetland Islands...

Ann

Shetland Island (8 books)
  • Raven Black (Shetland Island, #1)
  • White Nights (Shetland Island, #2)
  • Blue Lightning (Shetland Island, #4)
  • Dead Water (Shetland Island, #5)
  • Thin Air (Shetland Island, #6)
  • Cold Earth (Shetland Island, #7)
  • Wild Fire (Shetland Island, #8)
“Anna opened her eyes and saw a pair of hands, streaked and shiny with blood. No face.” 1 likes
“came” 0 likes