Start by marking “Split Screen: Attack of the Soul-Sucking Brain Zombies/Bride of the Soul-Sucking Brain Zombies (Russel Middlebrook, #3)” as Want to Read:

Split Screen: Attack of the Soul-Sucking Brain Zombies/Bride of the Soul-Sucking Brain Zombies (Russel Middlebrook #3)

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  1,239 Ratings  ·  97 Reviews
Book 3 in the Russel Middlebrook Series, Winner of the Lambda Book Award!

It's a horror-movie extravaganza in this, the second sequel to Brent Hartinger's Geography Club. Two complete books in one recount the stories of best friends Russel and Min who sign up to be extras on the set of a zombie film and learn that there's nothing scarier than high school romance.

In the firs
Published February 1st 2007 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Split Screen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Split Screen

Vitor Martins
De todos os livros da série do Russel Middlebrook que eu li até agora, esse foi o meu menos favorito. Gostei muito da metade contada pela Min, da maneira como a bissexualidade é abordada e o romance dela foi O MAIS FOFO.

Finalmente tivemos o conflito do Russel lidando com os pais a respeito da sua sexualidade e mais uma vez eu tivesse certeza de que O RUSSEL SOU EU. Se eu fosse mais magro e mais gracinha.

Mas essa coisa de contar a mesma história com dois pontos de vista poderia ter sido melhor ex
Lena♥Ribka
Audible headphones_icon_1

I'm kinda disappointed with the third book. I had noticed that an audiobook had in addition to Josh Hurley, a new, female narrator. But I didn't know that Vanessa Johansson would tell me THE SAME STORY, but from Min's POV.

I am not a big fan of female narrating and even less a fan of reading or listening the same story from different points of view. Especially, when the story itself, comparing to the previous books, is less entertaining and too melodramatic for my taste.

But I like Russ
Nicole (( lost in the book's world ))

SO BEAUTIFUL! I really do understand Min...about bisexual! That people do not understand why girl or boy are bisexual, not gay or lesbian. I know that everyone said that bisexual is more like confuse but you do like girl or guy..just both than one. Yeah, I hear you, Min!

Whew...Kevin is biggest idiot...I am so glad that Russ decided to pick right choice to stay in relationship :D I really like Russ and Otto!

Parents ugh.. >,>
Jennifer Lavoie
Years ago I read the first two books in this series, so I was happy to finally get my hands on the third installment with Russel and friends. This book did not disappoint. It is told from both Russel and Min's perspective, and readers get to choose which one to read first. I started with Russel but switched to Min because I wanted to end the book with my favorite character. I was surprised, though, because I ended up really liking Min's side of the story! She had a fresh, unique voice, and I lov ...more
Janice
Aug 04, 2007 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars really - becuase I didn't completely dislike it. I just thought that it was too gimmicky - I very much disliked the "flip this book" gimmick and disliked re-reading the same story twice. A sequel to Geography Club that just didn't live up to expectations (but stood on it's own). I did appreciate however that this book is one of the few that had GLBTQ characters without it being an "issue" book. Can't wait for lots more of this type.
Lorena Miyuki
Apr 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Min's side of the story, OMG, so surprisingly good!
At first I thought it was boring, even Russel's part. But this is the first book so far that has named the other situations in the other books - Kevin is Kevin again, not "that guy", and Otto is still in, and Em and everyone. The only thing that annoys me is the fact that the Geography Club is no longer relevant or even commented a lot. It is still "that club we founded" and nothing more.
The surprises in Min's part made the book WAY better than
Lindie
Mar 19, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, it should be said I hate the title of this book, and I kind of hate the cover. I also hated that it was a flip-it-over kind of book because the events in Russel and Min’s telling of the story overlaps quite a few places and I do not enjoy reading the exact same scene twice. Not even from different perspectives.

In book 3, we finally get to meet Russel’s parents. And they are kind of awful. Well no, they love their son and all, and perhaps the dad isn’t so bad, but egads, they are every gay
Ron
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book several years ago, shortly after finishing the first two "Russel Middlebrook" books. The thing I remember most about this book, the thing that made it work for me, was the dual points-of-view. It's rare (or at least it was rare at the time) to see a story for young adults told from multiple viewpoints, and while that isn't exactly the case here, it's close.

Russel and Min's tales are more like two overlapping circles on a Venn diagram than a direct one-to-one parallel, but still
Mrs. S
Feb 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
I don't want to ignore the first half of this book, which continues the story of Russel Middlebrook, but I was so excited when I got to the second half and discovered that it was narrated by Russel's friend Min. As scarce as YA fiction about gay teenagers is, YA fiction about queer girls and/or bisexual teenagers is even harder to find, so I loved seeing Min get her own story. It was also nice that we got to see a few different styles of parenting--in fact, I think a strength of this book is the ...more
David
A quick and entertaining read, but often falls victim to the preaching that hampered Geography Club in parts. Russel and the gang are as fun as ever to tag along with, and it is nice to see some of the characters confront their own hypocrisies and misconceptions, though some of the characterization seems a bit one-dimensional at times.

Order of the Poison Oak remains my favorite of the series. The rest are the type of stories I would have eaten up when I was in mid-teens and looking for all sorts
Jenni Frencham
Jan 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Let me start with this: I don't know what a "brain zombie" is. I read this book, and I still don't. This is more about Russell and his friends than about the zombie movie they're participating in. Russell's parents find out he's gay and they Freak. Out. And he doesn't know what to do with that. And Min's parents are very accepting of her bisexuality, but she's having trouble with a person she met on the set of the zombie movie.

Don't read this book if you're looking for a zombie book. But if you
Sean Kennedy
(3.5 / 5)

We return to the highschool in this third "Geography Club" book - but Belinda and Ike are still missing, although Kevin comes back as a major character. We have alternating viewpoints this time around, from both Min and Russel - it is best to start with Russel's as Min's "fills in the gaps" and packs a bit of a punch as some loose ends are resolved. Some of the scenes with Russel's parents come across stilted, but they are a minor setback to an enjoyable story.
Dustin James
This book was a little less entertaining. It was extremely short, and I know it was because of the split-screen with Min's story, but the only problem I had with that is, I wasn't interested reading Min's story. Russel is the character I fell in love with, and I want to know more about his story, not just a little quick blurp and then suddenly Min's story. It didn't seem to push the plot much further either. Sadly it made me less than enthusiastic about it.
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
I hate it when I like a book cause it said ZOMBIES on it, then I find out it's a third to a series. DUH! It was a flip and read kind of book. The first half a boys side of the story then flip it and then it's the girls. I read the boys and didn't flip it. Interesting.
Mary
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved how Russel's voice continues in the same way as the two previous books. However, I also like the added voice of Min's experiences with life and love. I continue to learn about life and it's many idiosyncrasies from this series.
Peter
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-lgbtq
The parents. Ohhh the parents.

Another great installment to the Russel Middlebrook series. Picking up not long after Order of the Poison Oak, we see Russel, Min, and Gunnar volunteering to be extras on the set of Attack of the Soul-Sucking Brain Zombies (I still don't know what a brain zombie is). Who else should show up but Kevin Land, hunky baseball jock and Russel's ex. As if Russel didn't need anymore confusion in his head, he's also navigating a long distance relationship with his boyfriend
Jane
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5
Pantalaimon
Jan 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brent Hartinger prosegue con la serie incentrata su Russel Middlebrook e i suoi amici del cuore Min e Gunnar. Per chi non conosce questa serie, è opportuno fare un breve riepilogo di cosa è successo fin qui.

Il primo libro, Geography Club, introduce il personaggio di Russel Middlebrook. Sedici anni, esce con Trish ma in realtà è gay e ha una relazione segreta con il quarterback Kevin, il ragazzo più popolare della scuola. Kevin però fa di tutto per non far uscire allo scoperto la verità, fino ad
Connor Tansley
Jul 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A completely new format to the other books in the stories this book explores two stories and learning and romance from both Russell and his friend Min. This allows you to see the characters in a new light as you get a real background of their lives to develop them as people. It also gives makes the story more realistic in a way as some of the event match and can be seen from different perspective but you see the separate lives in the mix as well.

This story explores a mix of themes and emotions f
Jerek
Feb 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5
L
Jul 18, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stephen
This is the third installment in the Russel Middlebrook series about a young guy going through the angst of coming out as gay.

In this installment we have Russel being torn between maintaining a long distance relationship with a guy that's perfect for him or a local jock that's already broken his heart once but claims to have reformed.

Unlike the earlier two books this one is told from two different perspectives. We have the story as seen from Russel's POV and as seen from Min, his bisexual best
Melinda
Oct 06, 2007 rated it liked it
This book is not inherently flawed; it deals with many important issues about being a gay teenager, such as dealing with peers and coming out to parents. I read Brent Hartinger's books despite his writing. An immature writer, he sorely needs a stronger editor to cut out his cheesy lines and to force him to rework his stilted dialogue. Nevertheless, the characters and their lives are intriguing enough for me to continue with the series. Russel's coming-out to his parents is believable, as they co ...more
Dig
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am actually really surprised to read the reviews of how people are being *so* harsh on Min's POV of her story - which, honestly, I thought was so refreshing.

It's almost as if - it's so obvious - that the audience really likes Russell and are just hating on Min b/c it's from a strong female POV. Which was so fucking good!

To tell you the truth, I really wasn't interested in the second half b/c of Russell's POV about his Chinese-American-Bisexual best friend but I was really just SO SICK of the
Nathan Bartos
Aug 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbtq
So this is the third book in the Russel Middlebrook series (not that you'd be able to tell from the covers because they're SUCH DIFFERENT STYLES). This one is split into two halves having to flip over the book for the other part, which made it feel a little childish. I felt kind of embarrassed lugging this around because it looked SO LAME! But it was only called this because they were involved in being extras in a zombie movie. Anyways, the first side is from the perspective of Russel, who was t ...more
Molli B.
First half: 5
Second half: 3.5

I think Russel's half of this is the best book of the series so far. There's some really great stuff in here. I wish I'd had this to read in high school. Great use of Min and Gunnar and Otto and even Kevin. Oh, and we finally hear from Kevin's parents, which I appreciated; it felt strange that we didn't hear anything about them in the first book. But once they were introduced, that all makes sense.

I really liked getting to hear from Min. Her voice was definitely dis
Becky Condit
Aug 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Please leave comments on Lucky's 4 sweet pea review at http://mrsconditreadsbooks.com/index....

In the first book, Russel fell in love with Kevin. Head over heels, totally enraptured by him, wanting to be with him forever kind of love. That didn’t work out when Kevin chose popularity over love.

In book two, Russel and his friends went to summer camp. It was there that Russel met Otto and found new love.

This time around, Otto is coming to visit, Russel’s parents ask him a shocking question, and th
Andrew
May 22, 2013 rated it really liked it

I loved this book like I have the other two books in the Geography Club series, but I do have one suggestion for those reading it; don't read one story first and read another second. This is one flaw I found with the way the book was pieced together.

I decided to read this start with Russel's side, Chapter 1, and when I finished that chapter I would flip it over and read Min's side, Chapter 1, and so on. If you read them separately, even though the plotlines are different, there will be spoilers

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jocelyn Pearce for TeensReadToo.com

In ATTACK OF THE SOUL-SUCKING BRAIN ZOMBIES, Russel is forced to choose between the guy right at home that he wants, and the guy 500 miles away that he loves. He's also dealing with his parents, who have found out that he's gay and are none too pleased.

When you flip the book over and start reading BRIDE OF THE SOUL-SUCKING BRAIN ZOMBIES, it's Min's story that will have you rapidly flipping pages. When Min meets Leah, she has to decide if this girl,
Jesse Colton
Sep 13, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Unfortunately, though the second Russel Middlebrook installment was as great as the first, the third one totally nosedives into barely interesting. There are some standard gay teen lit moments: parents being cold, unfeeling homophobes, priests trying to turn gay kids straight, and a love triangle between the ex-boyfriend and the new boyfriend, but for the most part this book was just boring. I wasn’t moved, I was barely even interested. (view spoiler) ...more
  • Someone Is Killing the Gay Boys of Verona
  • Tale of Two Summers
  • Rainbow Road (Rainbow Trilogy, #3)
  • Andy Squared
  • The Mariposa Club
  • Senior Year (Surviving Elite High, #2)
  • Eight Seconds
  • Something Like Winter (Something Like, #2)
  • The Straight Road to Kylie
  • The Evolution of Ethan Poe
  • Finding Our Way (Finding Our Way, #1)
I am Brent Hartinger, and I live to write.

For the last twenty years, I have made my living writing just about everything that involves words.

My latest project is a trilogy of "new adult" novels called Russel Middlebrook: The Futon Years. They're about a gay guy in his twenties, Russel Middlebrook, trying to make sense out of love and life.

The books in Russel Middlebrook: The Futon Years are:

* The
More about Brent Hartinger...

Russel Middlebrook (4 books)
  • Geography Club (Russel Middlebrook, #1)
  • The Order of the Poison Oak (Russel Middlebrook, #2)
  • The Elephant of Surprise (Russel Middlebrook, #4)