Start by marking “The Organic God” as Want to Read:
The Organic God

The Organic God

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  377 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
Imagine what it would look like to have an organic relationship with God-one that is stripped of all pollutants and additives of this world. The Organic God removes the unhealthy fillers and purifies our relationship with the God of the Scriptures. Throug
Published August 12th 2009 by Zondervan (first published April 23rd 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Organic God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Organic God

Marci
Aug 05, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reminded me of Blue Like Jazz, but far more in line with the Bible. I was able to spend some time at our camp getting to know the author and her husband as they helped us out for a couple of weeks. She is a sweet person that cares deeply for others, it was fun to read more about her. Enjoy!
Hannah
Aug 25, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: holy-moly
The whole "organic God" theme in this book seemed kind of like nail polish put on in a hurry: hastily and unevenly applied, and just not quite seeming like it's supposed to be there. IMHO, Feinberg easily could have sold this book in as "attributes of God," with some fancier sort of title, and done just as well, because the "organic" idea, while appreciated in the sense that she wants to get at who God is without fillers, additives, etc from the world around her, felt like it was too much trying ...more
Jessicasherrell
Sep 30, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a fresh perspective on eliminating the clutter that we let get in between authentic god time/relationship
Jenny Preston
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religious, nonfic, 2017
Overall, a good read. I enjoyed her clear love for God and the way she relates her perspective. Her anecdotes are well chosen to illustrate her points.

At the same time, there are a couple problems with the book that detract from the overall quality. First, the "Organic God" theme seems like an afterthought. It would have been a lovely attributes of God book without this theme. Secondly, although she quotes scripture with some regularity, the chapter and verse aren't referenced in the text. Afte
Henk-Jan van der Klis
Rediscover God as natural, pure and essential. What do you love about Jesus? That question may bring you to fall in love again with God all over again. That’s the purpose of the The Organic God (2007, re-issued as e-book in 2009 and now promoted again to bloggers and reviewers like me) by popular speaker, author Margaret Feinberg. God, stripped of all pollutants and additives of this world. This book explores God’s nature by largely digging into Feinberg’s own personal stories (Jewish ancestors, ...more
Jodi
Jul 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women
Recommended to Jodi by: MOPS in Carlisle
I read this for a summer book group and I really liked it! There are many things to get one thinking about to become a more spiritual person. I love how she described God as "organic" meaning that it is a lifestyle that is simple, healthful, and close to nature. I love how she talks about the beauty of nature and relating it to God. I thought it very cool that she had Maya Angelou as a professor while in college - wouldn't we all love that?!?

When reading chapter 4, I had just returned home from
Belindachaplin
Aug 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I so enjoyed Margeret Feinberg's "The Organic God" that I have actually gone back to re-read it more slowly. Her writing style is easy to read, and her ideas so thought-provoking, that it is definitely a book that I will read again and again.

She talks about stripping down my relationship with God and just getting back to the basics, trying to see the realness of God and how He wants to be a part of my life. And how we can journey with Him in this life.

With a good balance of her own story weaved
Catherine
Oct 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book for a women's Bible study at church. I was drawn to the title, but I often approach super-hyped Bible study books with some caution. Right away, Margaret Feinberg's writing drew me in. I found her voice refreshing. Writers strive to tell the old stories in new ways, with fresh words and analogies that speak to people today. I think this young writer succeeds. I personally like her use of imagery from nature/creation. For instance, in her chapter describing God as "deeply mysteri ...more
Debbie
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book i've read by Margaret Feinberg. Her writing style is fresh and engaging. She has a marvelous way with words. Organic God is about the attributes and character of God. The truths shared in the book have ignited a desire to look for the character traits of God in every passage I read. I have always known God is good, loving, truthful, etc., but Margaret takes it a step further in Organic God. Now I am more aware and notice more closely His goodness, His love, His truth in th ...more
Stacey
Apr 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faith, bible-study
What a gentle and wonderful reminder of God's character. Nothing brain twisting-- just pointing at who God is and how we can know Him more by being more like Him. Her stories capture me, and spur me to action. I particularly enjoyed the 'unbelieveably stubborn' chapter, as it spoke to much of what I am currently wrestling with, being arragont and overfed in a culture that is even more of the same, and I echo Margaret's two word prayer, "Change me."

I also liked the idea of "midrash"-- a Jewish pr
Go2therock
Oct 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love so many things about this book, first and foremost the feeling Margaret gives of simply hanging out with you, sharing stories, thoughts, connections, and revelations. At times we walked arm in arm, chatting about our wonderful God; sometimes we shared a cup of tea plumbing the bottomless depths of who He is; and a few times we hung upside down from playground monkey bars contemplating His mysteriousness.

I am sorry this book is over, and have gone back a few times and reread sections to sp
Joanne
Sep 23, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Margaret Feinberg was the speaker at a women's retreat I recently attended and I was engaged with her spirit. While more of a fiction or biography reader, I found the Organic God easy to read, not preachy, but thought provoking. You wanted more of the natural, pure, essential love God gives you in his word. Margaret infuses life stories and scripture to give you some guidelines on how to pursue this relationship. If you need a cheerleader to help you learn more about
Bible teachings and Christian
Judi
Aug 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Margaret Feinberg for many reasons, but mostly because she speaks in a way in which I can directly relate. Her writing is very vivid and descriptive, which I appreciate immensely. One of my favorite parts is in the back in which she lists songs to correlate with the chapters. Since music is a big part of my life and it helps me express different feelings and emotions, I enjoyed the correlations she made. It gave me a deeper perspective.
Bentlle
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book gets down to almost a child's perspective at the simplicity in which it lays out a relationship with God. Taking away the complexities we've tried to pile on makes our excuses seem ridiculous when we try to explain why our relationship with God is not better. It's title is appropriate in being "Organic" because it allows you to see the beauty that a true and simple relationship stripped from society and marks of time, the one God wants to share with us, can bring to you.
Suzie
Aug 20, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are looking for simplicity, rather to simplify your life including how you view your walk with Jesus, this book is grounding. I really enjoyed Margaret's view on God, how she opens Him up to her readers and how she challenges us to go deeper. This book also ministered to me during a hard time.
Laurie
Aug 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Here is an excerpt of my review: "If you find yourself in a spiritual rut and are looking for a way to get back to the root of Christianity and really get back to knowing God, then this is a great book for you."

You can read my full review of the book here: http://cookscrapcraft.blogspot.com/20...
Margaret
Mar 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. This is the second I've read by Feinberg and I like her writing style alot. It's almost like you're inside her head hearing her thoughts while she's thinking and pondering things - very thought-provoking. I plan to read two more of her books soon. I would recommend this to anyone.
Jason
Jan 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Margaret's book was like sitting across a coffee table enjoying a nice cup of Joe and having a great conversation. Her stories were insightful and right on point with things in my life. I would recommend this book for anything looking to increase the depth of their relationship with God.
Noseinabook
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book with a women's bible study group at church. I loved it. Very thought provoking questions for each chapter at the end and really helped me to see how multi-dimensional God is. Definitely recommend it.
Lara Krupicka
Jan 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Margaret Feinberg's writing and her take on the character of God and how we can relate to Him is refreshing. I enjoyed her storytelling. Each chapter left me thinking in new ways about how I relate to God and how I may have been mistaken about Him in the past.
Karen
Oct 24, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading this book with some neighborhood friends in a bible study/book study group...I really enjoy Margaret's writings on life and living... taking a couple of chapters each week to dissect and discuss.
Ana
Jan 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such an amazing book!!! I encourage anyone who has asked the question "Who is God?" to read this book. It answers the question and leads you into wanting a deeper relationship with him and falling in love with him all over again.
Jan 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Feinberg uses the concept of 'organic,' which most people are familiar with and have made part of thier everyday lives, and applies it to a relationship with God. I love how she relates the two, and how she speaks to a younger, real-world attitude.
Erin
May 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Organic God is beautifully written, spiritually nourishing, personally challenging. Highly recommend.
SHBC Leaders' Library
1 available - leader guide, DVDs, & 1 reading book only
Britni
Sep 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is all about the character of God and how we can learn to be like him. I got a lot out of it.
Kimmy
Jan 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an easy read but amazing and full of truth! It really makes you think about what YOUR image of God is and how your picture him. I loved it!
Kara Van
Aug 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was good. I have gotten some new, interesting ideas from it. I would reccommend it to anybody who wants to know more about God's character. I really like the cover.
Erika
Oct 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Feinberg is incredible. Beautiful, beautiful book about the attributes of God.
Courtney Drake
May 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick read, but gives you alot to think about.
What is Your Church Attitude? 1 4 Mar 18, 2009 03:30PM
  • O Me of Little Faith: True Confessions of a Spiritual Weakling
  • Learn to Study the Bible (40 Bible Study Methods)
  • Becoming a Woman of Freedom
  • Permission to Speak Freely: Essays and Art on Fear, Confession, and Grace
  • Making Room: Recovering Hospitality as a Christian Tradition
  • No Other gods: Confronting Our Modern Day Idols
  • S.H.A.P.E.: Finding and Fulfilling Your Unique Purpose for Life
  • The Christian World: A Global History (Modern Library Chronicles)
  • Green Like God: Unlocking the Divine Plan for Our Planet
  • Come Before Winter and ... Share My Hope
A self-described "hot mess," Margaret Feinberg is a popular Bible teacher and speaker at churches and leading conferences such as Catalyst, Thrive, and Women of Joy. Her books, including The Organic God, The Sacred Echo, Scouting the Divine, and Wonderstruck and their corresponding Bible studies, have sold nearly one million copies and received critical acclaim and extensive national media coverag ...more
More about Margaret Feinberg...

“God’s wisdom, true wisdom, is essential to living the life we were designed to live. Apart from God and his wisdom, we can spend a lot of time and energy getting lost, or worse, asking for directions from people who only pretend to know the way.” 5 likes
“Scripture breathes wisdom like we breathe oxygen. It can't not. Through Scripture, God reveals himself. This wisdom cannot be captured, let alone contained, on a neon bumper sticker or rubber bracelet. Wisdom itself invites us to go deeper- right into a relationship with God himself.

Through wisdom, we learn to love God and love what he loves. We find rich counsel on the life we were meant for- in our families, communities, and world. We discover our personal responsibilities to others. And we unearth how to put love into action." -Organic God”
3 likes