Start by marking “English Tea Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #17)” as Want to Read:
English Tea Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #17)

English Tea Murder (Lucy Stone #17)

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  1,287 Ratings  ·  173 Reviews
"Newspaper reporter and mother of three, Lucy Stone, jumps at the chance of a girls' trip to London - it's an opportunity to take a break from her busy family life in the small town of Tinker's Cove, Maine. But when her tour leader, Professor Temple, dies mid-flight, Lucy's glad she packed her sleuthing skills . . .

And things don't get any easier when they land. Professor
Published July 1st 2011 by Kensington (first published June 28th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about English Tea Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about English Tea Murder

Janet Robel
I enjoyed Lucy being out of her comfort zone and heading to England with some friends. There didn't seem to be any crime solving through the entire book until the end, so the mystery seemed more of an afterthought and a quick way to finish loose ends. I was looking forward to reading this and was bummed that it didn't pan out.
Juliann
Aug 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
As a Londoner who loves history, few things annoy me more than American tourists who blow off the cultural offerings in my city/region and only want to shop (particularly if they are obsessed with Harrod's). Well this is a book entirely full of them.Sure they go to some landmarks but are almost always ducking out early to hit the nearby shops. It took me over a week to get through this book (normally I read a cozy mystery in one sitting) because I kept wanting to throw the book at the wall or at ...more
Seema
Mar 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
Kind of a boring murder mystery really. The author was clearly going for a new Miss Marple but the main protagonist didn't have to do much of an investigation of the mystery - the clues just fell in her lap while she walked around. Not nearly the suspense, sense of danger, and clear deduction logic of the main protagonist that Agatha Christie offers. A boring book, way too full of non-relevant discussions and details. At times, it flt lie a tourist travelogue more than a murder mystery. Pass.
Lain
Jul 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
Could Lucy and her friends be any more self-centered? So what if the leader of their London tour dies mid-flight... Their tour must go on! The selfish attitude continues; when a member of the tour shares her personal tragedies with Lucy, Lucy becomes irritated that she was such a downer. My goodness, remind me never to approach her with any desire for a little sympathy! It seems to me this book was a thinly veiled means for the author to write off a trip to England as "research." really disguste ...more
Luffy
Jan 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
English Tea Murder is the kind of book that divides opinion. It's also an easy book to read and also to write. Despite the tired trick of the author to make us believe what's happening and despite the lack of tension in the book, I don't consider the latter a guilty pleasure. I give scores to books that I read based on how often my brain is inundated with niceness, comfort, anticipation, adventure, escapism, and its bitter enemy/double agent: realism.

I thought not many of the questions were f
Joanne
Aug 15, 2011 rated it did not like it
Haven't tried this series before, but wasn't impressed. It's set on a tour through London, and became too annoying as the characters fed each other information from their travel books. E.g., "Oh! It says that the Tower of London will never fall as long as the ravens don't fly away!" After about two pages of travel details rather than plot, I gave up.
Christine
Jan 05, 2018 rated it did not like it
Let's just say Lucy Stone doesn't travel well. She was so whiny about experiencing an adventure. And there was a lot of philosophizing and then deciding that she basically didn't believe in anything. And then she basically decided to let some people get away with murder because she felt sorry for them?
Lindsay
Jul 20, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mysteries
In the latest book, Lucy and her three best friends go to England (so jealous!) with a group of college students when on the flight there, their tour guide and college professor dies for what people assume to be an asthma attack. The most disturbing part about this is that they just leave him sitting dead in his seat for the rest of the trip, and no one acts like its an issues. Ick. They get to England and get a new tour guide, who Lucy used to have a teacher and throughout the whole book her fr ...more
Lynn
Jul 20, 2011 rated it liked it
This is a departure for Leslie Meier in more ways than one. The Lucy Stone series has always been about American holidays -think Christmas, Valentine's Day etc. With this one, she takes us away from Tinker's Cove on a European holiday (i.e. vacation) to London. The tour leader, a local college professor dies of anaphylactic shock before the plane even touches down. Was it an allergic reaction? Or was it something else? Lucy is suspicious, as usual, but why would anyone want to murder the well-li ...more
Andrea
Mar 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well Lucy Stone leaves Tinker's Cove for a trip to England, but as readers know suspicious deaths are never far behind where this amateur sleuth goes. This time she's with friends and a rather odd assortment of characters as part of a tour group lead by a professor from the local college who doesn't make it through the flight. The answer to the mystery may in deed lay back in Tinker's Cove after all is said and done, you'll just have to read this charming and dangerous novel to find out for you ...more
Katie Robinson
Aug 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I picked it up because I wanted an "easy cozy mystery" something such as Joanne Flukes book, they are simple, easy, funny books that you can escape reality with, and they are predictable!!! This book however told a true story, and it is the first one that I have read from the author. It is not predictable; it is easy going but its not a "cozy" mystery, the book has some depth. I will be going to my local library for the other books in this series!
Lisa Morin
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love Lucy Stone and I am a huge fan of all her books. I am partial to the books that take place in Tinker's Cove, but this one was really good.
Lucy and her friends have a wild adventure in jolly old England and of course Lucy is wrapped up in yet another murder.
I liked the twist on the murder that this story took, and of course I had a bunch of laugh out loud moments complete with snorts.
I consider Lucy Stone my go to comfort books, they always bring laughs to me when I need them.
Pattie Tierney
Jul 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
I haven't read a Lucy Stone book in years. I enjoyed the early books in the series, but began to find Lucy a bit uptight and too judgmental for my liking. I did enjoy this book, however. Perhaps the change of scenery did her some good. Having visited all of the spots that Lucy and her Tour Group visited, I particularly enjoyed the revisit by way of this book.
Wendy Martin
Jul 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really liked this one (I have read ALL of the Lucy Stone mysteries). . .my only gripe would be the details of all of the different places the group went to visit while touring in London. Those parts seemed to make the book drag on. However, I loved that that Meier brings back an old character in Prof. Rhea.
Eileen
Jun 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
New book by Leslie Meier just came out 7-1-11. Just received from the library and can't wait to read it.
Finished this book in two days, great cozy mystery. Highly recommend it. Love this author.
Cathy
I liked the Christmas books that Leslie Meier had done jointly with Joanne Fluke, and enjoyed the Leslie Meier sections even more than the Joanne Fluke ones, so I thought I'd give this Meier book a try. It happened quite a bit later in the series than the Christmas ones I read, judging by the ages of the children.

My husband saw this in my stack of books, and read it before I did. (I was reading something else.) His comment was that he really enjoyed reading about the various English tourist sit
Catherine
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
i really enjoyed this book.
Lucy Stone is saying cheerio to Tinker’s Cove and jetting off to jolly old England! But when things get dodgy, it appears murder may have followed her across the Atlantic...

Between a busy family and her duties as a reporter for the Pennysaver, Lucy could use a break. So when her friend Pam tells her about a trip to England sponsored by Winchester College, she jumps at the chance for a girls getaway. But when tour leader Professor George Temple dies mid-flight after suf
Susan Rubinstein
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Beverly
Mar 02, 2017 rated it liked it
This was an interesting addition to this mystery series. Lucy has decided it's time for a vacation, so when she has a chance to go to England with several of her friends and a tour group from the local collage, she jumps at it. Unfortunately, people seem to drop like flies around Lucy and this story is no exception. The tour leader dies en route supposedly from a severe attack of asthma. Once on solid ground again, between shopping, sight seeing and attempting to have a real cup of tea, Lucy att ...more
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: england
Part time newspaper reporter and amateur sleuth, Lucy Stone, heads to London, England with three of her Tinker's Cove, Maine friends. Before they've even landed in London, their group's tour guide dies on the plane from an apparent asthma attack. Lucy doesn't necessarily believe the death was an accident, however, as members in their tour group seem to be acting very strangely.

This book does not necessarily make you yearn to see the world, or to go anywhere on a group tour with a bunch of strang
LInda L
Feb 18, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a kind of cute little cozy mystery -- only my second Leslie Meier. It got some really bad reviews, but I was sort of charmed. Yes, she did pattern it after Murder on the Orient Express, but not exactly. And in the end, most got what was coming to them. So -- not great, but not that awful either.
Nicole
Leslie Meier seamlessly ties up loose ends from a previous book and invokes the Grand Dame of Mystery in this wonderful seventeenth installment in the Lucy Stone series. An absolute must read for fans of Tinker Cove, Maine's favorite part-time reporter/full-time wife and mom! A+++
Krista
Jun 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting little murder mystery. Mostly enjoyed touring around London.
Melissa
Book #20 read in 2017

Quick read
Kathy Zane
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Of the series, I think this is one of the best so far...
Joan
Jan 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Fun cozy and a previous semi-bad guy gets his
Peter Barr
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the 17th Lucy Stone mystery by Leslie Meier. The part time reporter, wife and mother of four from Tinker's Cove, Maine takes a trip to England with friends and a group from the nearby college. On the flight over, the college professor in charge of the group dies. After much sight seeing and shopping our heroine comes to the conclusion that a murder has occurred. Then it gets complicated and familiar. This is one of the better in the series. It is worth the trip.
Bea  Charmed
2.5 stars. 80% Travelogue, 15% mystery, 5% soap opera.
Kim
Mar 14, 2017 rated it liked it
It was a cute book that got dragged down by a little too much history, some wrong assumptions about Pride and Prejudice, and a weird death tally. It just seems like Meier wrote this and the publisher said there needed to be more bodies.
Danni
Jan 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love this series.
Madison Mega-Mara...: English Tea Murder 5 10 Apr 17, 2012 10:08AM
  • A Streetcar Named Expire (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #16)
  • A Decadent Way to Die (Savannah Reid Mystery, #16)
  • Murder of a Creped Suzette (A Scumble River Mystery, #14)
  • Killer Crullers (Donut Shop Mystery, #6)
  • Gingerbread Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #13.5)
  • Stump Speech Murder (Pamela Barnes Acoustic Mystery, #4)
  • Tie Died (Bert Shambles Mysteries #2)
  • Bedeviled Eggs (Cackleberry Club, #3)
Leslie Meier lives in Harwich, Cape Cod, Massachusetts. She is the creator of 'Lucy Stone', a reporter and amateur sleuth in New England.

More about Leslie Meier

Lucy Stone (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Mistletoe Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #1)
  • Tippy Toe Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #2)
  • Trick or Treat Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #3)
  • Back to School Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #4)
  • Valentine Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #5)
  • Christmas Cookie Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #6)
  • Turkey Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #7)
  • Wedding Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #8)
  • Birthday Party Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #9)
  • Father's Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #10)