Start by marking “Rainbow High (Rainbow Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
Rainbow High (Rainbow Trilogy, #2)

Rainbow High

(Rainbow Trilogy #2)

Jason Carrillo, the best-looking athlete in school, has had his eyes on the prize from day one: a scholarship for college.

But then his eyes turn to love -- and Kyle.

Kyle Meeks, swim team star and all-around good guy, is finally in the relationship he wanted. Being in love feels so good, in fact, that he can't imagine giving it up to go to Princeton.

Something he's worke

Published June 1st 2005 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published November 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Rainbow High, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rainbow High

Start your review of Rainbow High (Rainbow Trilogy, #2)
Karlé
Apr 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is probably one of the hardest books in the trilogy as the 3 of the main characters here deal with hell a lot! At some moments things may seem a bit cheesy especially when it comes to the parents being so 'perfect' with all the supports and acceptance but what that cheesiness really brings is hope .

Hope for everyone hiding in the closet that it's okay to come out and be you. I really love Nelson and Kyle and Jason and this trilogy is one of the best summer reads out there I swear!

I'm jus
Jamie Fessenden
May 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Another excellent book by Alex Sanchez, continuing the story from Rainbow Boys. This one gets a bit darker, though not too much.

My biggest quibble with the book is its treatment of a secondary character, Jeremy, who is HIV positive. Nelson, one of the three main characters, dates this character and not a single character in the novel is supportive. Everybody keeps insisting that Nelson should remain friends with Jeremy, but not date him. So...does this mean that nobody should ever date or fall
Mike Oaks
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story continues

Picking up where book one ended we follow Nelson, Kyle and Jason as they navigate their way through senior year of High School. Nelson really needs to give up the smokes. Sheesh. 3.75 for kickass dads.
Steven
Nov 27, 2010 rated it liked it
Brooke Banks
I will be continuing the series. I like how it really shows how the adult's response to gay kids makes a huge difference. Kyle is still clueless with biphobia and Jason knows nothing to correct him yet. Jason skates through a lot of shit til the end. Nelson is a drama llama as always but does make progress.

FYI: One-Third Of Gay Men Haven’t Heard Of A Drug That Helps Prevent HIV

Notes While Listening:
>>>Senior Yr. Starts with Nelson writing paper about what
Lauren Stoolfire
Not quite as great as book one, but still a fantastic sequel. Sanchez certainly makes you feel for his characters.
Sarah Lu
May 27, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult
Stephanie Estes
Jul 14, 2009 rated it liked it
From the first page you can envision the plight of the homosexual teenager. This novel followed four boys/men through their high school struggle. The way Alex Sanchez set up the novel with simplistic visual rhetoric was very easy to follow and intriguing. At the top of each chapter all of the main character's names were shown, but the one that was being highlighted in this section was in bold print. This reduced any confusion and showed how their lives were intertwined. Rainbow High was my first ...more
Gavin Stephenson-Jackman
I started Rainbow High yesterday and like its predecessor Rainbow Boys I couldn’t stop. I was up till after 2 a.m. reading last night, another excellent read from Alex Sanchez.

The three boys, Nelson Glassman, Kyle Meeks, and Jason Carrillo are completing their senior year of high school and continue to deal with homophobia coming out and the threat of HIV.

Nelson is anxious to have a relationship, a little too anxious, and puts himself at risk at the end of Rainbow Boys. Now he must deal with the
laaaaames
May 26, 2009 rated it it was ok
Tanairis
This book is about Jason,Kyle,and Nelson. They are three boys who are gay and Jason and Kyle love each other but sometimes its ruff for them when it comes to thier family's.
Geny Quinonez
Feb 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
i LOVE this book! Its So awesome! i recomend it too everyone!
Jose Delorbe
Feb 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Im reading this book and so far it's great.
Danii Allen
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq
Eh, this book's a tentative 2.5 stars. It is what it is.

It's not as good as the first one, and the conflicts seem much more single-minded in this book. Each of the three characters has a big decision between two things, and spends the entire book stressing over which decision they're going to make. For Jason it's publicly coming out or not, for Kyle it's Princeton without Jason or Tech with him, and for Nelson it's staying with Jeremy and risking HIV, or breaking up with him. These are all valid
Safrena
It's an obvious 5 stars book for me!

I discovered this book a few months ago while I was reading a lot of LGBTQ stuff. This book was published in 2005 so I figured the gay community wasn't that hyped like it is now. I love the story of these boys - Jason, Kyle and Nelson and also the secondary character Jeremy who's an HIV positive.

I have to say that Kyle's parents were the coolest. They were trying to understand Kyle for being a gay son and the way they spoke to him and giving good advice and a
Lore
Jul 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Still pretty sweet, although it is definitely Incredibly dated. Like, it's not an awful book, but I wasn't so happy with how they dealt with Jeremy and his HIV status overall - they were shitty attitudes from most people.
It was uncomfortable, but I guess that was a different culture, but still not Great, y'know.
idk, it's complicated because I get that was the prevailing attitude + certainly medication and such was different.
But I guess it can't be perfect.

I did massively appreciate Jason's w
Robin Graber
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: queer-as-hell
Almost gave this 3 stars because of the erasure of bisexuality and the fact that it's very prejudiced against people with a negative status dating someone with a positive status. I know it came out in the early 2000s or whatever, but it still made me cringe throughout the book. But I bumped it back up one star (really 3.5 but you know, Goodreads doesn't do the half) because I love a cheesy, cute ending.

And I love a book that tells young people to put their education first, before their relation
Jenny
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, read-in-2020
Jup, liked the second book as well. I really like the realism of this series (at least it feels realistic, maybe it totally isn't, who knows).
I got through it very quickly, since it really is easy to read. Still like the characters and how they make stupid decisions sometimes. I also liked how different the adults in this book dealt with the situations, and also how some of them slowly changed. (Plus, a quick shoutout to Jason's coach!)
Now all that's left is the third book.
Sonstwas
Feb 05, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked this book, though it was not as good as the first one. Sometimes it felt like the dialogues were a little unrealistic. I'm not going to read the 3rd book though because I liked the ending of this one, the Rainbow Boys and Rainbow High together make a perfectly good story together and I'm scared that Rainbow Road is going to throw off the nice ending and story completely...
Khepre
Jun 25, 2018 rated it liked it
The second book of the series is definitely suffering from second book curse. The book carried problems that were in book one to book two. The ending was meh. However, the characters showed growth as the story proggresed on. The new issue that arrised for the characters were solved which makes me excited for the final book.
Idit Bourla
Lol can't remember the last time I finished a book in less than 7 hours straight.
I loved it even more than the first time and it was actually unexpected, how they ended up after all. A cute quick reading, about three cute guys, dealing with heavy themes in life, telling in a charming way. Can't way getting a hold to on book three.
Martin Chuck
The sequel to Rainbow Boys is probably the hardest book out of the series. After dealing with their personal problems and sexuality, the three boys come across problems bigger than themselves. From school, to sports, to careers and to societies' views on them, the conflicts get larger under that famous Bildungsroman tone that young adult books are famous for.
Adam S.
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Best book in the series!

I loved this one the most, due to the slight realism of this novel. The first was realistic too, but this one actually made me short breathed at one part by the tension of the chapter.

Highly recommend the three books and they are easy to read through.
May 25, 2020 rated it liked it
I felt like this book tried to deal with too much in too short a space of time and it didn’t quite work and came across as quite simplistic when the issues really aren’t. I did enjoy it though, not quite as much as the first one but then I suppose I’m not the target audience.
Sara Dalla Palma
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it
3 / 5 ⭐️
Elli Cooper
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Love it, definitely a great follow up to the first.
Ann
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was really angry at the events that took place in this book. This book can be found on book share as well as audible.
K. Turner
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really nice story going on. Still hard to get through as it's very close to painful life experiences (and very much second hand embarrassment). Would recommend
Migs Fiel
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, mm-favorites
The book never missed on important details. Let's just say I highlighted a lot. Nelson is definitely my favorite.
Ricardo
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Again, a very good instalment in this series. The characters are excellent, well drawn, and the dynamic between them is great. Looking forward to reading the next one
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Geography Club (Russel Middlebrook, #1)
  • Hero
  • The Order of the Poison Oak (Russel Middlebrook, #2)
  • Out of the Pocket
  • Boy Meets Boy
  • Something Like Summer (Something Like, #1)
  • Sprout
  • A Secret Edge
  • Something Like Winter (Something Like, #3)
  • Social Intercourse
  • Honestly Ben (Openly Straight, #2)
  • Openly Straight (Openly Straight, #1)
  • What They Always Tell Us
  • Vintage: A Ghost Story
  • Been Here All Along
  • Where We Left Off (Middle of Somewhere, #3)
  • Running With Lions
  • We Contain Multitudes
Alex Sanchez is the author of the Rainbow Boys trilogy of teen novels, along with The God Box, Getting It, and the Lambda Award-winning middle-grade novel So Hard to Say. His novel, Bait, won the 2009 Florida Book Award Gold Medal for YA fiction. Alex received his master’s degree in guidance and counseling from Old Dominion University and for many years worked as a youth and family counselor. His ...more

Rainbow Trilogy (3 books)
  • Rainbow Boys (Rainbow Trilogy, #1)
  • Rainbow Road (Rainbow Trilogy, #3)