Start by marking “Rainbow Road (Rainbow Trilogy, #3)” as Want to Read:
Rainbow Road (Rainbow Trilogy, #3)

Rainbow Road

(Rainbow Trilogy #3)

Jason Carrillo came out to his basketball team senior year and lost his university scholarship. Now, with graduation behind him and summer ending, he's asked to speak at the opening of a gay and lesbian high school across the country. But after spending years in the closet and losing his scholarship dream, what message can he offer?

Kyle Meeks is getting ready to go to Prin
Published April 10th 2007 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published October 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Rainbow Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rainbow Road

Start your review of Rainbow Road (Rainbow Trilogy, #3)
Karlé
Jul 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-heart
Opposites do attract. But similars stay together.

Idk why I stopped reading this trilogy in Summer but I'm really happy and proud that I stuck with it right through the very end.

Well first of all this is one of the best books from the trilogy!! I love how so many things had happened and not just one or two and it did just focus on Jason this time, thank God.

DISCUSSION:

* this is a fast read just like the other books in the trilogy so why not give it a shot?

* i definitely fell in love with every
Steven
Jan 09, 2011 rated it did not like it
kornel Sanchez
Apr 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I've learned a lot from this book. Mainly that There musn't exist hatred toward GLBT people.They surely have feelings that Must be respected.They go through an eternal Hell to be more unsulted. we are not sick, that's just how we are born. I'm Bisexual. And so I do know the pain of such circumstances, the bullying, the names.(in my scenario hadn't been in those stages) But i've heard others talk about "US" with such disgust, and hate, with humiliation. And just like Jason, most of the time i sai ...more
Mike Oaks
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m exhausted

What a road trip. I could relate to Jason the most as he dealt with annoying Nelson. But by the end, like Jason, I’ll miss getting bothered by Nelson. Great characters and the writing kept me turning the pages to see how this disaster ends. 3.75 for WWJD
Josh
May 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful way to end this trilogy! Alex Sanchez created three complex and interesting young gay men (Jason, Kyle, & Nelson) in his first novel "Rainbow Boys." Over the first two novels, the boys confronted serious issues about coming out in high school to parents, coaches, and teammates; creating a Gay-Straight Alliance; dealing with HIV; making a relationship work; and figuring out how to navigate the world as a gay teenager. All of these were issues not normally dealt with in young adul ...more
Ricardo
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
1 1/2 stars

I don’t want to rain on anybody’s parade but there were so many things that I didn’t like about this book that despite really trying to like it, I couldn’t give it more than 1 1/2 stars:

For starters, the whole premise of the book is so contrived that it’s laughable. A road trip, after high school graduation and before college, across the country, to California. Nah!

Three high school graduates and one of them doesn’t realize that leaving money in the glove compartment of their vehicle
Menglong Youk
I felt delighted and depressed at the same time after I finished the last book of the series. Feeling delighted because the series is very encouraging and gives me a lot of unexpected ideas to use whenever I have to support and defend my gay friends and my godbrother; feeling sad because in the last 5 days, this series has been my friend and kept me active. I feel like I were also in the book witnessing the whole story in order to tell the world that every human live is worth living and it shoul ...more
Gustaf Mtz Amador
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Okay so... I have cried reading the books in this triology. I have recognised myself and seen my own story in it and i have a huge crush on Kyle. I wish i have known about the books earlier.
Jamie Fessenden
May 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay, ya, transgendered
Davian
Jan 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Sanchez ends the “Rainbow” –realistic fiction- trilogy with Rainbow Road. The story comes full circle. Jason Garrillo, Kyle Meeks and Nelson Glassman – the main characters- have graduated from high school entering a summer, in Virginia, full of tedious responsibilities until Jason is asked to speak at a non-traditional high school graduation ceremony in Los Angeles, California. Since Jason came out about his sexuality, his full scholarship to an Ivy League school had been taken away. Kyle, Jason ...more
Ryan Loveless
Bill
Aug 19, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay-fiction
The Rainbow Trilogy is simply an accurate account of being a Gay teen in the Noughties. Three young, Gay males deal with the common issues of coming out and surviving: Nelson, flamboyant and out since grade school; Kyle his best friend, shy, smart and out only to Nelson as the series begins; and Jason a closeted, hot jock whose forced to become a "role model" as he becomes Kyle's boyfriend. The three friends are real, flawed and help each other deal with their particular issues.

Reading these as
Annie
Sep 03, 2009 rated it liked it
This is a story about 3 homosexual friends who have just graduated college. This story is told in 3 perspectives, kyle, nelson, and jason. Jason and kyle are boyfriends but Jason lost his basketball scholarship and has been invite to speak at a gay and lesbien high school that has just opened. He tells kyle about it and kyle is very happy to join his boyfriend, inviting nelson along who ahs not found his love yet and worries about being the third wheel.

This was a more intresting story about the
Dusty Roether
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a cute book and a cute series, though the series is certainly a product of its time. The books in this trilogy were published in 2001, 2003, and 2005. I read the first book in this series when I came out ten years ago, and I had a sudden urge to come back to the series and read all three books in audio. I really enjoyed them, especially this final book for its exploration of themes outside the realm of homonormativity and traditional gender expectations.
Julie
Oct 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this last book in the series. These books are wonderful coming-of-age novels for all teenagers. A must read, up front, and honest trio of books for any teenager who is curious or questioning their sexuality.
Hillary
Kyle, his bisexual basketball player boyfriend Jason and his outrageous best friend Nelson embark on a road trip from suburban Washington D.C. to Los Angeles the summer after high school graduation when Jason is invited to give a speech at a private school following his own coming out. Over the course of their trip they’ll lose phones and money, get in many a squabble, have fun and unexpected adventures and be introduced to new people, straight, gay, lesbian and transgender, who come to expand t ...more
Mark Syron
In the final book of the trilogy Rainbow Road is an ending tale of Nelson, Kyle, and Jason. This book focused more than just on Jason's adventures. While it is the main figure of seeing Jason getting to the LGBT high school in order to give a speech for the school, we see more of Nelson's quest to find love like seen with Kyle and Jason. We see the strain and love of friendship and love when it comes to living close and continuous space with one another.

I thought it was an interesting tale. Felt
Jenny
Feb 20, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020, own
And with that, I finished this series.
Yet again, it was a quick read. Maybe too quick. This book felt a bit rushed to me. There were so many conflict going on and it did't feel like most of them were adressed and discussed properly.
I appreciate the arguments that the character had, since they felt realistic to have (especially in their situation). I just didn't feel like they were talked about enough. I get it, those books are like a snippet out of those characters lives, they weren't exactly i
Martin Chuck
The conclusion to the Rainbow series serves as a satisfying conclusion for all the drama the boys have experienced for the past two books. The story enfolds as the world gets bigger with the boys' predicaments getting smaller.

Engaging, emotionally-driven and fast paced, the only problem with the final book is that it plays the Young Adult Trilogy Syndrome where the story is too fast paced that you find yourself in different states after a few chapters. The writing is too fast that you'd find the
Sharayu Ail
I always like reading novels that revolve around LGBTQIA+ characters and I especially love when they are treated fairly and represented well. This story is not an extraordinary one but the characters are very memorable. The 3 young gay men are on a road trip that helps them come to terms with their own identity. It also teaches them how to navigate close personal relationships while preparing for a lifetime of change and uncertainty. At the beginning of the novel you'll have a favourite but by t ...more
Migs Fiel
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
First, can I just say that the boys on the cover do not reflect the characters' physical attributes?

Anyway this was one of the books I would only read on my phone when I was just waiting around, so I did not finish this fast, but I enjoyed it a lot! There were times I got irritated at the characters as they were very stereotypical, but how they acted during the whole road trip made sense. My favorite among the three is Nelson and I like how the story ended for him, but I think there could have
Khepre
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
The first book was amazing, great, and excellent. I felt as though I need to move on. The second book was ok, but I still moved on to the last book. I felt as though the characters didn't develop. Jason and Kyle relationship showed little growth. Nelson was a very problematic character and was often times reasons that I would almost did not finish this book. I also felt like the book didn't go anywaher but reintroduce problems that were in the first and second book.
Danii Allen
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lgbtq
As with the previous two, this book is what it is. It's dated, and there's some questionable content (but that's mostly probably because people weren't as educated as they could have been on some aspects of being LGBTQ+). There were also increasing editorial issues throughout the book.

I'm glad I read them, but I'm also glad the story ended with the third book. Anything more would have definitely been overkill.
Nathaniel
Through most of this novel, I disliked all three characters. On top of that, the content is dated and much if tries too hard to be all-encompassing of the LGBTQ experience, which results in an insincere and shallow exploration of uncommon queer representation.
Lore
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. Very much an outdated piece of literature - sure, I can tell it's got the best of intentions but ultimately it did fall short. I wish I could've enjoyed it more, but it was messy and bland.
Clara-Marie Miller
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I always sit there and write the same review after every book but honestly this book and/or trilogy is really good for a time like today. It’s a 5 star because it grabbed my attention quickly and I could not put it down. Highly recommend.
Amanda
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
I love the concept of this book. I love that the road trip took us (and the guys) to different places, meeting different people across the LGBTQ+ spectrum. I wasn't a fan of Jason or the treatment of bisexuality but it was still realistic.
Sharni Benson
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: alphabet-soup
It's definitely a teen fiction, written from the perspective of each of the 18 year olds.
A great story of discovery and faux pas, it even includes a trans character who one of the main characters is a bit transphobic about but ends up realising that there is nothing wrong with them.
Caleb
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This one was a little rough around the edges, but it was an often-sweet little endcap.
Jace Halter
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: winter-2016-17
it was one of those stereotypical happy endings but, I loved it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Vast Fields of Ordinary
  • Out of the Pocket
  • Geography Club (Russel Middlebrook, #1)
  • Totally Joe (The Misfits, #2)
  • What They Always Tell Us
  • The Order of the Poison Oak (Russel Middlebrook, #2)
  • David Inside Out
  • Hero
  • Leave Myself Behind
  • Sprout
  • Hard Love
  • Something Like Winter (Something Like, #3)
  • Someday This Pain Will Be Useful to You
  • The Year of Ice
Alex Sanchez is the author of the Rainbow Boys trilogy of teen novels, along with The God Box, Getting It, and the Lambda Award-winning middle-grade novel So Hard to Say. His novel, Bait, won the 2009 Florida Book Award Gold Medal for YA fiction. Alex received his master’s degree in guidance and counseling from Old Dominion University and for many years worked as a youth and family counselor. His ...more

Rainbow Trilogy (3 books)
  • Rainbow Boys (Rainbow Trilogy, #1)
  • Rainbow High (Rainbow Trilogy, #2)