Start by marking “What to Read in the Rain” as Want to Read:
What to Read in the Rain

What to Read in the Rain

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  32 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Published October 1st 2010 by Perfect Paperback

To ask other readers questions about What to Read in the Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What to Read in the Rain

Jan 05, 2011 rated it liked it
I've frequently wondered what Royal Brougham was named after... I never would have guessed he was a famous Seattle PI sportswriter until reading Paul Hughes's essay in this book.

This collection of essays and short stories by and about Seattle authors is like a box of chocolates -- it's way too easy to keep popping the next one into my mouth.

Ironically my favorite was Jess Walter's 'Statistical Abstract for Spokane'. But I award honorable mentions to Po Bronson [best childhood episode], Lyall Bus
Feb 21, 2016 rated it liked it
This book is a cute, quirky collection of stories, poems, recipes and other items from people in and around the Seattle area. What is really interesting is that this book was a project from a group called 826 Seattle. The826 Seattle is a non profit writing and tutoring group that matches youth with mentors. This book is a sampling of that work. The book was a fun read that I picked up while I was in Seattle, and yes I did read it in the rain. But my favorite part was knowing that the proceeds fr ...more
Dec 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
A very cute book by the young authors and adult author friends of 826 Seattle.

Surprisingly, I tended to like the stories by the kids more than I liked the stories by the adults. Some of those kids are extremely talented.
Bianca Smith
Jan 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
I hadn't heard of 826 Seattle before receiving this book for Christmas. It's an amazing organization facilitating and teaching kids to write.

Each year they publish an anthology of writing by both students and adult writers. Some of the adults are known only locally, others have been publish and some are professional writers.

The stories range from pure fiction to biographies. All are short, some are really short. My favorites were written by the kids. Their personalities and passion shows throug
Tim Kubiak
Nov 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
A very eclectic collection of stories and writers ranging from well known to school kids with topics ranging from the geological history to fantasies about heling out the Foo Fighters.

All for a good cause...getting kids to write more and develop their communication skills.
Michelle Despres
Mar 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
(I'm a little confused by the picture associated with this book.) Perfect book to read during my stay in Seattle.
Aug 08, 2011
Dec 09, 2012
Baby Got Book: December 4 4 Nov 30, 2015 12:18PM
  • Conversations with Tom Robbins
  • Emerald City: An Environmental History of Seattle
  • Shaping Seattle Architecture: A Historical Guide to the Architects, Second Edition
  • Weird Washington: Your Travel Guide to Washington's Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets
  • Fatal Induction: A Professor Bradshaw Mystery
  • Music Lust: Recommended Listening for Every Mood, Moment, and Reason
  • Love Rock Revolution: K Records and the Rise of Independent Music
  • 40 Short Stories: A Portable Anthology
  • Top Pot Hand-Forged Doughnuts: Secrets and Recipes for the Home Baker
  • The Ghosts Who Travel with Me: A Literary Pilgrimage Through Brautigan's America
  • Skid Road
  • Tales of Henry James
  • Somewhere Upriver
  • Loading Mercury With a Pitchfork
  • Nathaniel Hawthorne's Tales
  • Six Tales of the Jazz Age (and Other Stories)
  • The Nordstrom Way: The Inside Story of America's #1 Customer Service Company
  • The Littlest Hitler
Thomas Eugene Robbins (born July 22, 1936 in Blowing Rock, North Carolina) is an American author. His novels are complex, often wild stories with strong social undercurrents, a satirical bent, and obscure details. His novel Even Cowgirls Get the Blues (1976) was made into a movie in 1993 directed by Gus Van Sant.

More about Tom Robbins...