Start by marking “Seaborne (Seaborne #1)” as Want to Read:
Seaborne (Seaborne #1)

Seaborne

(Seaborne #1)

Enter the realm of Seaborne. . .and the achingly romantic world of Katherine Irons, a new talent who will break your heart and heal it all at the same time. . .

Take Me Away

Published April 1st 2011 by Brava (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Seaborne, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seaborne

Start your review of Seaborne (Seaborne #1)
Rachel- Goodbye Borders
I'm so flipping disappointed. This has mermaids! I love mermaids. However, I dislike Claire. Claire was in a horrible accident that left her paralyzed. She (of course) has money out the wahzoo. Claire also (at least for the 50 or pages I've read) poor me, poor me, poor me! I can take only so much of that attitude. Plus, I think it's creepy how controlling her father is (oops! I mean adoptive father!). It's also weird (at least to me) how her (adoptive) father didn't want her calling him dad, ...more
Stephanie  G
Mar 22, 2011 rated it it was ok
Claire Bishop stays at Seaborne, an estate her grandmother left her, after a tragic boating accident leaves Claire paralyzed from the waist down. Her adoptive father worries that self-piety is making her to stay locked away in the estate. He calls on Claire’s ex-husband to help him make sure she is okay. Prince Morgan has watched Claire from the beach at Seaborne, and he finally comes out of the ocean to see her. Connections with humans are forbidden in the undersea world, but he is willing to ...more
Kazen
Mar 07, 2017 marked it as did-not-finish
Didn't even get a third of the way through, but so many problems. The way disability and chronic pain is handled is sketchy, but it may turn around over the course of the story so I can't rail against it outright. There's no nuance - the bad guys are super bad ((view spoiler)), the good guys are super good, and the heroine is being tossed around by the winds of fate. I haven't seen her choose anything yet, for ...more
Amber
Oct 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: free-amazon
This story is about Prince Morgan, son of Poseidon. He is next in line to take the thrown but in order to do so he needs to keep in line...There are rules to follow, like not mingling with humans. However he comes across a girl named Claire. He sees she's fragile but there is something about her that he just can't get out of his mind. It's forbidden of course to be involved with a human...His mother was even killed by one. However, he has to get to know her and this urge to do so has it's ...more
Nikki Barrett
Apr 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing

Seaborne is a memorable debut that I could not put down. It's a different, unique story that was engaging and fast paced. I was charmed and enchanted by Morgan, a sea creature who knows the rules, but his heart is on his sleeve, and he tends to think with it instead of his head.

The heroine, Claire, is a heroine with a tragic past. Because of an accident, she is permanately disabled and has come to Seaborne to heal emotionally and to be left alone. She begins having dreams, and dreams of
Dragoonfliy
Nov 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: supernatural, romance
Not a terrible book, but suffers from some occasional moments that made me snort "really??" Mostly due to the ridiculous evilness of the ex-husband. Like, we gotta craft the sketchiest, evilest bisexual deviant we can here! Let's just make him the worst.

Enjoyed a few of the characters (handsome handsome Alex), but mostly liked the lore building stuff. Mermaids and fancy cities and dropping random facts about the other magical races.

Don't think I'll pick up any of the others, but wasn't an awful
Coral
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
absolutely loved this book! I love the idea of mermaid romance novels, but this one was the best one i've read so far. while the story seemed a bit cliche (as is the case with 99% of romance novels), it was still a great book with great character development and passionate romance. i totally recommend this to anyone who loves mermaids and romance!
Dark Faerie Tales
Mar 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-by-kiwi
Review Courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Hot Prince. ‘Nuff said.

Opening Sentence: The summer storm swept in without warning.

The Review:

Today, ladies and gentlemen, we travel to the beautiful Maine coastline. Here on this secluded private beach you will find all the comforts of home and sea. Let’s spend a few peaceful moments enjoying the sand and surf, for our next stop will be very exciting. You see, in a few pages we will be experiencing the underwater world of the “lost” city of
Beth Dawkins
Mar 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011
Divina
Oct 29, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2.5 Stars

I was really looking forward to reading this book and was disappointed that it wasn't what I had originally anticipated. I liked the author's idea of the hidden world of Atlantis and the people that it inhabits. The story was to "choppy" and awkward to read and didn't have the flow it should have. There were so many subplots which I found unnecessary and took away from the romance.

Morgan is the eldest son of King Poseidon. But rather than a Warrior, like his father, he is a kind and
April
Feb 19, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I read this I was reminded of Catch of a Lifetime by Judi Fennell, which I liked OK except for the tone, the weird mashup between something childlike and erotic. Thankfully, I didn't get the same vibe out of Seaborne, but the underwater themes are the same. There's this separate species and secret society living in the sea, one more ancient and magical than the human beings that live on land. This book does have a child in the story as well, but it's not the central focus —it doesn't have ...more
Kristie Cardoso
I enjoyed this book. It was a light read that I didn't become too emotionally invested in. That being said, I do recommend it as a book when you don't really know what else to read but you don't want to become invested in a new series. The main character, Claire, was paralyzed and stuck in a wheelchair. That was one of my favorite differences between this book and others in the same genre. Most heroines are flawless and strong with an issue or other that proves to the male love interest how ...more
Kate
Mar 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Take Me Away

Shrouded in mist, the hidden shoreline near her family's Maine estate is a place of refuge for Claire Bishop. There, she can forget the physical limitations imposed by a tragic accident and escape judgmental eyes. Yet someone is watching from the depths of the sea, a being who senses her inner despair and is drawn to help her.
Chris
May 31, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, fantasy
Claire is in a wheelchair due to a boating accident. Morgan is an Atlantean (think mer-man) and lives in the ocean.

Isn't that enough? Couldn't that be enough of a story, romance, trouble, etc.

***SPOILER ALLERT***

Apparently the author doesn't think so. She adds:
-A crazy ex-husband who is a sex addict, deals in drugs and a murderer
-A controlling adoptive father (who turns out to be her real father) who won't trust her despite the fact that she is a rich, intelligent, 30 year old woman.
-The king
Jackie
Dec 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: free-books
I was fairly absorbed in this free Kindle novel at first—a formerly athletic and vivacious woman is now handicapped and alone in a beach house in Maine when she encounters an Atlantean prince (merman). But once they started feeling that magnetic attraction, I couldn't read it anymore and didn't pick it back up for a couple months. I remedied this by merely flipping through those scenes and Irons' descriptions of Atlantis. Overall, not an unbearable novel with somewhat developed characters but ...more
Donna Hatridge
Oct 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a unique story that is charming and has you wanting the hero Morgan to succeed. The underwater world that Katherine Irons creates is an interesting fantasy world that you want to spend time getting to know. I did think some of the scenes with Justin were unnecessary and distracted from the story. We could have gotten just how depraved Justine was without some of the scenes being played out for us. I am looking forward to reading the next book in this series. On my Nook this book had 282 ...more
Crissy Hensley
The writing is clunky. The dialogue is ridiculous. The inner monologues are ludicrous. The world is kind of neat but is delivered ham-handedly. There are a few grammatical errors, and one of the tertiary characters changed from being named Markos to Marcos about 2/3 through the book. I picked this up because the sequel came across my check-in desk at the library and I couldn't put it down I was laughing so hard (which is not what the author was going for, I think), so when I went to put it on ...more
UnusualChild{beppy}
synopsis:
claire has retreated to her home in maine following an accident that leaves her paralysed from the waiste down. morgan, who is not supposed to have contact with humnas, sees claire and is drawn to her. he takes her under the sea with him.

what i liked: the premise. people of the sea? that's different, count me in!

what i didn't like: the execution. rather than every thing being clear, it felt like you were swimming through mud. it was a struggle for me to finish it. i didn't really care
Dr. Bronwyn Ph.D of Smutology
Ummmm yeah ok.

It was missing some depth because while we learnt a bit about the Atlantean world it didn't go into any detail. There were no emotions engaged. Then add into the mix that the author gave the bad guy had the heroes name as his surname. If the author was trying to be funny well ahh nope not funny.

And I'm not entirely sure I agree with assessments that Poseidon and Richard were 'great' fathers...from what little we are told it seems unlikely.

I would like to read Alex and Orion's story
Angarad
Aug 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, romantic and poetic.

I loved the setting, how a woman who lost everything still fights for her life and finally finds happiness.
Morgan is so sweet amd romantic. Could have been more of an alpha male, knowing he is Crown Prince but I couldn t hold it against him. The undersea world is beautifully described, as the many characters involved and give a trye personnality and originality to this book. It is sometimes almost like a painting and makes you want to dive with the Atlanteans.
⚜️Trea
Aug 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: challenges-2013
This book started out kinda slow, but things quickly ramped up. It's not your typical mermaid story, for in this case we have a merman, but it is surprisingly well written! Claire's need for independence in spite of her infirmity was a cornerstone of the book, and allowed her to accept the love that was offered to her. I really enjoyed this book, but am not wanting to give it all away, so all I can do is heartily recommend it!
Karen
Dec 02, 2011 rated it liked it
This was an average story for me. I never really felt the connection between Claire and Morgan. There were a lot of things going on, but when there was something you wanted to know, that got glossed over. Maybe she was setting up for the next book, but this book was slow in the beginning but it did have some good moments on the second half. I did not hate it, but I think I will wait for the paperback for the second story.
Amy :o)
This was a different type of read for me. This is my first 'mermaid' type book. I actually liked the book although it took a while for me to really get into it. I also have to say that there were some extraneous characters that I wish had gotten more attention and more of a background explained about them.

Overall, I'd give this book a 3 1/2 stars. It was a quick read, a bit predictable, but that was what I was looking for.
Allyson Orr
Typical PNR fluff. Sadly lacking in worldbuilding. If you're going to write a story about people who live underwater, at least put a little thought into how their lives might be different from ours. They would probably not eat soup or drink wine from goblets. They certainly wouldn't have fountains in the courtyard. If you think about that one too long your brain will explode.
Tona
Nov 04, 2011 rated it liked it
A paralyzed Claire Bishop thinks her life is over till she meets Morgan. Well Prince Morgan of Atlantis.

These two have so many things standing in their way. Claire who can't walk. Morgan who is not allowed to be by humans and a 1/2 brother that is trying to kill him.

It seems these two fight all sides to be together.
Paloma
Oct 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
So I was hesitant on this book at first. It started out slow, but turned out to be absolutely amazing! I love how there's a strong independant woman who has so many people working against her just because she's paralyzed from the waist down. She fights them all so she can maintain her independence. I would definitely recommend this book!
Allyson
Jul 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
Rachel
Aug 17, 2013 rated it liked it

Free kindle book- was actually pretty good-twist on the traditional romance novel. Read it while trying to go through all the free books on my kindle and delete some of them. This one actually pulled me in, so that definitely goes in its favor.
(Corny cover picture- ugh!)
Stephanie
Oct 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal, chick-lit
Some parts of this were cheesy, even worth an eye roll, but I loved it. And I was bummed when it was over. I would have been perfectly happy with the whole story taking place underwater, with no human involvement, even. I'll definitely be buying the second one in the series.
Nancy
Jul 21, 2013 rated it liked it
First in a series. Interesting story and good characters but the ending was a little too pat. Last few pages and all of a sudden she's Atlantean, her mother turns out to be Lady Athena and she marries the prince. I'll give the next one a try.
Very odd 3 4 Jun 16, 2016 05:48AM
A native of Delaware, Katherine Irons lives in a 300-year-old farmhouse with her husband. When not writing, she enjoys reading, travel, and beach combing. She is currently at work on her next novel in the Seaborne series.

Seaborne (3 books)
  • Oceanborne (Seaborne #2)
  • Waterborne (Seaborne, #3)