Start by marking “A Concise Biography of Adolf Hitler” as Want to Read:

"Four Stars." --West Coast Review of Books
"Fascinating reading." --Booklist
"An engrossing book...excellent." --Oahu Sun Press
Published February 1st 2000 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about A Concise Biography of Adolf Hitler, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Concise Biography of Adolf Hitler

Brian Steele
Jul 31, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
I had a hard time choosing between 3 and 4 stars on this. I feel the concept is brilliant - a biography that focuses on "concepts," rather than on a chronological timeline. However, when presenting a book in this nature, I want a series of facts - not the author's editorial opinion on every other line. Yes, Hitler was a mass murdering douchebag, but I don't need reminded that he had ... "despicable ideals" ... when reading the chapter on his diet and health. And due to the obvious deep feelings ...more
Mar 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
In a nutshell, Hitler was even crazier than you thought! This is not a traditional biography in the sense that it is not in chronological order. Rather the author has divided chapters by subject, such as family life, hobbies, education and even Hitler's favorite books. This makes it a very usable reference book. A quick read.
David Rambo
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting book written in a way that keeps your interest.Fuchs doesn't go too deeply into any particular aspect of Hitler but gives enough information to pique one's interest for further study.He debunks a lot of myths about Hitler,ranging from the idea that Hitler didn't really hate Jews,(yes he did),the idea that Hitler was a military genius,(no,he wasn't. it was stated by many that had Hitler followed his advisers' advice Germany may well have won the war,but the times his ideas and le ...more
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was definitely a page turner. It was:
1. Very direct
2.Only filled with interesting facts
3.Somewhat focused on busting myths
4.An Easy Read
5.Filled with Surprises

I'd recommend this to Hitler fanatics and people who want to understand just how deranged he was.
Carl Trumble
Aug 25, 2015 rated it liked it
A Concise Biography of Adolf Hitler by Thomas Fuchs was an interesting, heinous, and eye-opening experience. While the biggest thing that sets this apart from most biographies is the fact that it doesn't take place in chronological order, but instead is composed of small facets of what Hitler did and who he was. While I am not sympathizing for Hitler, it has to be known to mankind Hitler was just and ordinary human and not some kind of monster you could recognize.

What I found the most interest
Jun 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Armchair historians
There are a lot of rumors and myths I have heard about Hitler over the years. The author does a nice job of clearing up many of the major ones. I was more interest in the author's illuminations into the man that was this monster we see in our minds whenever his name is mentioned. Hitler was an ordinary human being with extraordinary commitment to his ideals and convictions, no matter how delusional and inhuman these would turn out to be. He succeeded on his path to power because his message foun ...more
This is a deeply interesting book...and it would have gotten five stars had the author restrained the need to remind us every two sentences that HITLER WAS BADDDDD. Yes, I am aware that the man was screwed in the head and did terrible things, but having such unnecessary little phrases such as (and I paraphrase) "While it seems impossible that Hitler could do anything which was not foul and destructive..." simply got in the way of what I wanted: the facts. OK, Hitler was a horrible individual, bu ...more
Samuel 714
Mar 15, 2010 rated it liked it
I cant say that Hiltler was stupid, dont get me wrong the man was the most evilist person in human history but that doesnt mean hes stupid. Hitler, took Germany and made it into a country that produced one of the greatist weapons of the patriotic war and products, made the German army feared throughout the world, when it conquered half of Europe in less then a year! and made Germany at that time, the most powerful nation (besides America and I think the USSR) in the world for a few years.
Sep 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
i think that this book was a very good book, for multiple reasons. This book allowed hitler to be seen as a regular human, much like us, instead of the monster that many perceive him to be. i liked this book for more than what was just stated, i like it for its witty insight, it was funny without trying to be.
Dec 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
I read this over the weekend at home. It is a collection of facts about Adolph Hitler. His likes and dislikes. He was vegetrain. He had books and movies on prno. He ate as much as two pounds of candy each day. He bite his nails, and sucked his fingers. He loved movies. THe Bengal lancers and King Kong were his favorites.
Austin Mcgrath
Oct 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Interesting Biography on Adolf Hitler. This hardly covered what he did in wars but focused on who he was as a person. Ranging from his mustache, how he did his hair, his fashion, friends, diet and even his pet dog.
Nov 06, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Any History Lover
Shelves: non-fiction
A great fact book abou Adolf Hitler, as well as very funny. This is the dictator in a different light with such chapters as "Hitler's Mustache" and "Hitler's Dog". It's a good fun read if you're researching on Nazi Germany or Adolf Hitler
Mar 29, 2011 marked it as to-read
It's already interesting, a lot of facts that you won't find in other books about this evil man who was such an important part of history.
Kayla Durham
Dec 16, 2008 rated it liked it
Gives the reader an insight into "Everyday Hitler" as well as the terrifying monster he was. A good read for those vaguely interested in Hitler trivia, but not those who want an in depth biography.
Jes Mitchell
Sep 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Very informational.
Sep 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
A great attempt at organizing the life/experiences that created Hitler. I think it's important we all understand what experiences lead to the creation of such personalities as Hitler.
Thomas Lehman
May 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: brad-s-books
Pretty decent book, most of it I already knew being a big History buff of the era. However, there was some new things I learned so mission accomplished by the author.
Jordan Fuller
Jan 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Good read lots of facts in a short time.
Oct 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Very well put together biography. A good introduction book for this historical figure.
Randell Green
Jul 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
6.9.10 - 6.18.10
Carla Clark
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
it was worth reading for little tidbits about hitler and world war II.
Dec 26, 2016
  • The Essays, Vol. 1: 1904-1912
  • Explaining Hitler: The Search for the Origins of His Evil
  • December 1941: The Month That Changed America And Saved The World
  • Death Dealer: The Memoirs of the SS Kommandant at Auschwitz
  • The Myth of Hitler's Pope: Pope Pius XII And His Secret War Against Nazi Germany
  • Patton: A Biography
  • Shakespeare of London
  • The Last Days of Hitler
  • Scott Fitzgerald
  • Among the Righteous: Lost Stories from the Holocaust's Long Reach Into Arab Lands
  • Teaching the Pig to Dance: A Memoir of Growing Up and Second Chances