Start by marking “Hitler's Peace” as Want to Read:
Hitler's Peace

Hitler's Peace

Autumn 1943. Since Stalingrad, Hitler has known that Germany cannot win the war. The upcoming Allied conference in Teheran will set the ground rules for their second front-and for the peace to come. Realizing that the unconditional surrender FDR has demanded will leave Germany in ruins, Hitler has put out peace feelers. (Unbeknownst to him, so has Himmler, who is ready to ...more
Published August 1st 2006 by G.P. Putnam's Sons (first published May 19th 2005)

Start your review of Hitler's Peace
Paromjit
Mar 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Philip Kerr once again writes of WW2, a topic and time period he is extraordinarily well acquainted with, this time without the canny Bernie Gunther, in this standalone historical thriller set in 1943. The mood in Berlin is bleak, acknowledging that they are facing certain defeat, the Allied bombing of Berlin and Germany is taking its toll, and Stalingrad underlines the catastrophic failure of the Germans on the Eastern front. In this blend of fact, fiction and faction, Hitler and his senior Naz ...more
David Lowther
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
A load of thoroughly entertaining rubbish, the literary equivalent of Tarantino's brilliant movie Inglorious Basterds.

Philip Kerr is one of the very best writers of Nazi Germany stories, some set before the war, others during it and the rest after it. They all have one thing in common; the presence of champion cynic policeman Bernie Gunther. The main character in Hitler's Peace, Willard Mayer, is not Bernie but pretty tough, considering he's been seconded from his job as a philosophy teacher at
Bibliophile
What if Adolf Hitler had offered the Allies a negotiated peace in 1943? That is the premise of Philip Kerr's Hitler's Peace; unfortunately, the novel doesn't live up to its fascinating premise. The main character is an insufferable womanizing know-it-all with none of the charm or sly wit of Kerr's great Berlin detective, Bernie Gunther. Moreover, Hitler's motivations for seeking peace after the debacle of Stalingrad are never fleshed out and whatever Kerr does posit doesn't seem very believable, ...more
Rowena Hoseason
Apr 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
Fans of Philip Kerr’s Berlin noir series might be surprised by this standalone story – it’s most definitely not a Bernie Gunther-style thriller. It’s a rigorously researched historical novel with a fictional intrigue woven around actual events and real people. Don't expect a page-turning espionage adventure – because what you get is a metric tonne of names, ranks and historical references.

The story switches from an American professor who’s called upon to investigate atrocities that may have happ
Toni Osborne
May 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
I am a huge fan of this author since my introduction to the Bernie Gunther series some time ago. I simply could not stay there waiting for the next installment so why not backtrack and “Hitler’s Peace” became my preferred choice.

This is briskly paced and a sharp standalone spy thriller set in 1943 when Hitler and his advisors see that they are losing the war and unconditional surrender is out of the question. Hitler and his advisers then work on a secret plan to manipulate the Allies to turn th
Tom
Mar 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not really such great writing; but perfectly interesting. Hard to put up with novelization of these characters (I just had dinner with Adolf!), but I understand much is factual, so, on I go ... .
Turned out to be perfectly interesting. Three interesting plots going on, the "hero" becomes more and more interesting, and the places and people are certainly very interesting. Worthwhile. Very.
Michel
Sep 04, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: lit, hist-fic, war
After 2 chapters, I wanted to give it 4-stars, later I was giving 5-stars, but then, the last 3 chapters, well, I don't want to spoil it for anybody, let's just say I couldn't suspend disbelief any longer. Some of the things that happen here just could have happened, with intermediaries, but not with the main protagonists; and just too much is attributed to one obscure 3rd tier Oss analyst…
This being said, Kerr is topgun when it comes to research! What he doesn't know about nazi Germany, or WWII
Phil Shaw
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Simply brilliant. Didn't want to put it down. I havent read a Philip Kerr book that I haven't thoroughly enjoyed. I find his style easy and fun to read. The humour in his books appeals to me greatly. 'Hitler's Peace" was no exception, and will definitely go onto my - read it again sometime - shelf.
Frederic
Aug 16, 2010 rated it did not like it
Dull,prolix and unbelievable...with a climactic summit meeting of WWII leaders that is sketched so superficially that neither the historical nor fictional figures have any breadth or depth...a major disappointment from Philip Kerr,whose Berlin Noir trilogy was so compelling on many levels...
Styron Powers
Nov 10, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Disappointing- Poorly Written, with a difficult flow. I finished 50% and put it aside. For most of my life, I finished books, even if I disliked the book. Now, I no longer waste the reading time. Unfortunately, I did waste the money.
Leigh Van Sickle
Jan 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I had to stop somewhere in the middle. It’s tedious, especially compared to Kerr’s Bernie Gunther series. I know Kerr is generally amazingly historically accurate, so I was taken aback by his use of Disney’s Princess Aurora, who was in Sleeping Beauty in 1959, not in the Forties.
Wendy
Nov 29, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-gave-up
Too complicated and boring.
Andrea Hickman Walker
Sep 10, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction, history, war
This has the potential to be fantastic, but I found the style incredibly boring.
Dawn
Apr 26, 2013 rated it did not like it
Hard to read. Like reading a manual.
Mary Warnement
Miss R
Apr 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to Quercus Books and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

The late Philip Kerr was an author of inimitable talent in the field historical fiction and will be sadly missed. 'Hitler's Peace', is yet another example of Kerr's astonishing ability to take historical 'truth', and re-fashion it into something new, and utterly absorbing. All the hallmarks of Kerr's greatness are present here, too. If you thought Kerr's legendary Bernie Gunther series of books were classic example
M. Sprouse
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
This is not so much a alternative history as an explanation of what possibly could have happened at the Big Three's Tehran Conference of 1943. Philip Kerr, as usual, does a masterful job making history come alive particularly the Nazis. When reading Kerr one gets a feel that these Nazis were actually human. But humans who headed down the path to evil by making a series of terrible choices, turning a blind eye and rationalizing evil. An object lesson for any time period.

"Hitler's Peace" is a goo
Evelyn
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
With Philip Kerr gone, and just one more Bernie Gunther book remaining in the pipeline, I was pleased to find this at a used bookstore near my home.

It can be argued that in some ways the hero of this book, Professor Willard Mayer, is, to some degree, something of an American version of Gunther. He's a complicated, canny individual who's generally one step ahead of those around him, with a somewhat checkered past, some of which he'd like to keep hidden.

Mayer's father was Jewish, his mother very
Greville Waterman
Mar 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The late and much lamented Philip Kerr could have written out the names and numbers from the telephone book and still made them sound interesting - he was that great a writer.

Like so many others, I loved his Bernie Gunther series so I thought that I would delve into his back catalogue and came across this 2005 second world war what-if thriller.

The storyline has been dissected to death elsewhere so I will not repeat it or provide spoilers. All I will say is that all the leading characters from Na
Kate
May 08, 2020 rated it liked it
It's pure coincidence that I read and finished this on the 75th anniversary of peace in Europe. Honestly, I'm going through stacks of unread books at home and whilst this was supposed to be my year of the female authors, it's turning out to be the complete opposite and then some. Recently I facilitated a virtual, corona lockdown- themed book club meeting and discounted the theme of "alternate realities" from among those I thought would be good conversation starters. But if I'd kept it, this book ...more
John Kaye
May 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
The last new Philip Kerr I'll read, having missed it's earlier US publication. And while not his best, and very slow to get going, but then read at pace, in the end it was an absorbing and nicely plotted thriller. I thoroughjly enjoyed many of the characterisations, and the splendid detail that significantly enriched the book for me. Sometimes this felt a little shoe-horned in, by hey, it's Philip Kerr, and while it's never so obvious in his Bernie Gunther works, it is a staple in the other hist ...more
Greg Guma
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, history
Reading this novel around Memorial Day put a fresh spin on the tough moral choices and horrendous violence facing Europe in the months before D-day, a period when the US, Russia and even Germany looked for ways to quickly end it. There were few clear heroes, and Kerr delivers vivid portraits of many major figures, along with a fictional philosopher-diplomat who saves the Big Three — as well as Hitler — before the historic Teheran conference that brought together Roosevelt, Churchill and Stalin. ...more
Peter Caddick-Adams
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sad to think that Kerr (author of Bernie Gunter) is no longer with us. A well-paced novel from 2005, full of the usual Kerr period detail that never fails about the lead up to the 1943 Tehran Big Three Conference. Several lesser-known historical facts woven into a just-about-plausible plot, though I thought the ending limp, as though the author had simply run out of steam. A page-turner with several unexpected (and one stupendous) twists. I finished it in a day by the poolside, unable to put it ...more
Phil Gray
Hmmm...caution, spoiler.

From a pedantic point of view the immersion into the period was spoilt by a couple of trivial details by a character who would know better - a reference to a quad 200mm anti-aircraft gun mounting on a personal train (an extra 0 snuck in) and a reference to a Panzer tank, when the two words are synonymous, given the context I think Panther was intended).

From a counter-factual point of view it presents an intriguing point of view but, for me, the lack of historical context
Moirad
May 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Mix of fact and fiction in this novel centred on the Teheran conference of 1943 when Stalin, Roosevelt, and Churchill met. Very large cast of characters, at times hard to keep track of. Differing viewpoints - a first person narrator (Jewish American intelligence officer/philosophy professor), and 3rd person accounts of German anti-Hitler plotting. An ingenious fictional (maybe?) interpretation of what actually happened at the conference.
Trevor Andrews
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed reading this book.

I like historical fiction except that I often wonder what bits were fiction. Kerr leaves you in ono doubt as he tells you the key "truths" at the end of the book.

The biggest "educational" part was how leaders bargain peace. It was also interesting to read how little influence Britain had in the matter.
Oscar Vasquez jr.
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was never interested in the history of world war II until my friend lent me this book. This book took me into an adventure of several characters who experienced different views of the war. It helped me visualize what some of the people went through during the war and how life was affected all across Europe. I would highly recommend this book to anyone even if you are not interested in WWII.
David Cline
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is a great tale of suspense. When I take my family to Egypt,I we will travel the road of Willard Meyer and stay in the same hotels. I did not

understand Willard 's reaction when Hitler shakes Willard 's hand thanking him for saving his life . How does logical positivism fit into it?
I recommend this book to all interested in WW ll
Annarella
Apr 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful story and i appreciated the vivid historical background and the great cast of characters.
Mr Kerr is a master storyteller and this story keeps you hooked till the end.
I loved the plot and I loved the storytelling.
An excellent read, highly recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
Meredith
Jul 26, 2017 rated it liked it
A follow-up to Berlin Noir, but not as well done...centers on Hitler's inner circle at the time leading up to the Teheran meeting of the Big Three. Feels forced rather than natural, as Berlin Noir felt. Not a bad read, but a disappointment after Berlin Noir.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Fair Warning (Jack McEvoy, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #33)
  • Prince of Spies (Richard Prince Thriller Book 1)
  • Hitler's Secret (Tom Wilde #4)
  • Find Them Dead (Roy Grace)
  • The Good Turn (Cormac Reilly, #3)
  • The Man From Berlin (Gregor Reinhardt, #1)
  • Redhead by the Side of the Road
  • Fifty-Fifty (Eddie Flynn #5)
  • The Accomplice
  • Stasi Vice (Reim #1)
  • Paris in Disguise (Alex Kovacs #5)
  • The Catch (Slough House, #6.5)
  • Mistur
  • Double Agent
  • Offer 2117 (Afdeling Q, #8)
  • The Six
  • Seven Lies
  • Let It Bleed (Inspector Rebus, #7)
Philip Kerr was a British author. He was best known for his Bernie Gunther series of 13 historical thrillers and a children's series, Children of the Lamp, under the name P.B. Kerr.