Start by marking “Gojiro: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Gojiro: A Novel

Gojiro: A Novel

3.16  ·  Rating details ·  73 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Gojiro is a triumph of storytelling that firmly established itself as one of the preeminent -- and funniest -- novels of the post-nuclear era.Its star, of course, is Gojiro -- the giant lizard -- made famous by a wildly successful cycle of B-movies and now come to exuberant literary life. Once a normal monitor lizard, he was transformed by an atomic test after World War II ...more
Published December 8th 1997 by Grove Press (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Gojiro, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gojiro

Jonathan Boyd
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the story of a monster and his boy...and the world that was wrought by the heater...and what (if anything) can be learned from the Quadcameral, Gojiro's titanic brain...and the cosmo of beams and bunches...and an ancient scientist...and a very special radiation-poisoned girl.

Gojiro's a difficult one to measure. On one hand, large stretches of it (mainly near the middle) drag on with little actually happening, tempting me to put it down for a while. On the other hand, when it's good it's
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If someone ever asks you what Postmodernism is, tell them to read this book. Yes, on the surface it's a wild, weird, sweet, and hilarious tale of a monster and his boy, but beneath that, it's so much more. It's about humanity struggling to come to terms with the unimaginably horrific things we did out in the desert and over Japan in 1945, struggling to assimilate the realities of the Nuclear Age into our identity in a way that unflinchingly acknowledges the past, but also affirms life and keeps ...more
Aug 04, 2011 rated it liked it
This is a very odd little post apocalyptic tale about a boy and his mutated kimodo dragon with a quad cameral brain. Allegedly written in a repetitive Buddhist technique that is said to cause epiphanies in readers without their awareness by the end of the story. I'm not sure if that was truly the case for me, but I was deeply moved by this unusual story that tackled many topics of import well ahead of its time.
Oct 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
I was turned on to this book in junior high when a friend's dad interviewed the author on his radio show. I read it, and liked it, but certainly there were things I didn't get at that age. I like to think that I understand it a little better now, and still enjoy re-reading it every 5 years or so. The author does a good job of creating a new language for his characters.
Kurt Marquart
Oct 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
My rating on this book is my own personal rating, not meant to sway if you are a fan of the author, and like his style of writing. I found this book, and decided to read it based on the back cover description. Not what I expected at all. Maybe some day I can read it knowing what to expect.
Oct 22, 2007 rated it really liked it
an interesting Tale of Godzilla, being and intellectual creature with is best friend, a Japanese boy and how they provided a home for children deformed but the atomic bomb, and how is gets mixed up in hollywood, not something I would normally chose, but it was recommended and I enjoed it.
Louis Joseph Fis
I read this book when I was around 12, and HATED it because it wasn't like a Godzilla story. Looking back I was expecting the wrong thing, and now I have to reread it as an adult and see if it's any good as what it actually is.
Bizarre take on the Godzilla mythos... Sort of. The first half was brilliantly wrought with dark humor... Including mutant children and the Hollywood grind. Then it gets a bit bogged down and plodding. I was surprised at the upbeat ending...
Mar 17, 2010 rated it it was ok
I wanted to love this book. I really did. I tries. I love the concept, but I found the execution to be... well, 'tedious' is not too strong a word here. Tehre are certainly worse books, but I can't say I'd recommend this at all.
rated it did not like it