Start by marking “The New Avengers, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
The New Avengers, Volume 1

The New Avengers, Volume 1

(New Avengers (2010) #1)

Find out who the New Avengers are, where they call home (gotta see it to believe it!), which Dark Avenger has joined their ranks, and just who the interdimensional demonic threat to our existence is! These heroes have gathered to take on the threats too dark, too dangerous, and too bizarre for any other team of heroes. The New Avengers are back!

Collecting: The New Avengers
Published January 26th 2011 by Marvel Comics Group (first published December 5th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The New Avengers, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Avengers, Volume 1

Kemper
Mar 12, 2012 rated it liked it
When Tony Stark a/k/a Iron Man was acting like a total dick and appointed himself king of the super heroes, Luke Cage and others that had been part of the New Avengers went underground and fought back. Now that Marvel’s Civil War and the aftermath has finally ended and the so-called Heroic Age has begun, Steve Rogers wants Luke to continue leading a team of Avengers.

Setting up shop in a rebuilt Avengers mansions that Stark sells to them for a dollar, Luke’s new team doesn’t even get through the
Tiago
Aug 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Not bad, but why start off this series with such high stakes all over again? It felt pretty routine and therefore uninteresting, one more run-of-the-mill battle for the Earth that gets solved with six issues, I would've prefer something more casual and see more team bonding for this reboot, specially since the other Avengers team is doing pretty much the same insanely high stakes battles.
Anne
Apr 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Ok, so at first I thought several people were reviewing the wrong book, but it turns out that Goodreads has two different volumes listed under the same edition. The New Avengers Hardcover Collection Vol. 1 by Brian Michael Bendis and New Avengers by Brian Michael Bendis - Volume 1 by Brian Michael Bendis.
The first is pre-Civil War (which is the one I read), the second is post Civil War (which is the one I wanted to read). So, this explains why the reviews don't match up.
Naturally, I'll be reviewing the edition I read.

I'm pretty sure I've already read all of the stories in this rather large volume, the exception being the crossove
Mike
Mar 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Love the fun, fantastically unusual storyline and unexpected twists that come from the superteam of Bendis and Immomen. Interesting team dynamic, but really it's still just: Spider-man (Bendis' favourite character, and the one he knows an writes the best), Luke and Jessica (the married parents dynamic continues to feel fresh and hilarious), the fall and remorse of Stephen Strange (Bendis is doing meisterwork with this one) and the fascination I continue to have with Victoria Hand (another of Ben ...more
Kyle Berk
Jul 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
It’s The New Avengers volume 1. I feel like I was just here.

It’s a relaunch of the team that inhabited the New Avengers title that began in 2004 after the Avengers disassembled. And I have to say I really like the character line up going on here, I like the line up more then the main Avengers title though the volume I read of that feels like there was more effort put into it. Though that can come from it being a time travel story.

That whole new sorcerer supreme storyline where a new guy takes o
Mike (the Paladin)
May 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
Oh how I wish we had half stars! This is rated 4 stars and I've rated other graphic novels that high that are much more to my taste than this one. The thing abut graphic novels/comic books is that those of us who read them will have our favorite characters and story lines. So here we have a fine book but one not really as appealing to me as some others.

Here we pick up a story line about an array of Avengers taking up that title and the mantel of protectors of the Earth and surrounding universe.
Tony Laplume
Aug 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Brian Michael Bendis wrote Avengers comics for almost a decade. In fact, his work is directly responsible for the Avengers movies everyone's been enjoying. And there's a reason why Joss Whedon ended up directing the centerpiece, because Bendis is the Whedon of comics.

Okay, so technically, every now and again, Whedon is himself the Whedon of comics, but as far as career dedication goes, you know what I mean.

This particular volume, even though it has that "Volume 1" in the title, is not the actual
Paul
Sep 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Wait, what... OK, I'll bite. Spider-Man, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, the Thing, Mz... oh excuse me, Captain Marvel, Doctor Strange, Hellstromm, and Wolverine (obviously) are the Avengers now? Sounds more like a Defenders roster to me.

Not the Avengers I remembered, but this one gets a pass as the story was fun and the art was pretty nice and I actually 'know' all the characters. Pretty much what a team comic-book is supposed to look like with practically non-stop action from start to finish, and hey, a
Sesana
Aug 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'd never really read Avengers before the movie, so now I have to fix that. So these aren't exactly THE Avengers, they're the other Avengers, with some overlap. (Seriously, does Wolverine even sleep?) The team strikes me as being an odd combination, but I'm at least passingly familiar with the characters. Except Mockingbird, but she didn't leave much of an impression on me anyways. This particular storyline is heavily mystical. The writing was solid, and I loved how the characters interacted. An ...more
James Crawford
Sep 12, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was great. You get to know more about Luke Cage and surprisingly Doctor Stephen Strange. I love the people they chose to be in it.
Todd Glaeser
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Brian Poole
Oct 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Post-Siege, the New Avengers were freed of the “outlaw heroes” concept they’d labored under for the better part of three years. The re-launched New Avengers was more of a club of heroes based in the rebuilt Avengers Mansion, with several full- and part-time members. Led by Luke Cage, other regulars included Wolverine, Spider-Man, Ms. Marvel, Mockingbird, Iron Fist, Doctor Strange, Jessica Jones and new recruit The Thing (when he wasn’t busy with the Fantastic Four). Steve Rogers riled the team b ...more
Joe Young
Jun 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Brian Michael Bendis - author
Stuart Immonen - illustrator

4/5 stars

The Avengers are reformed by Steve Rogers after the events of Siege, but there is such a need for super-heroing that two teams of Avengers are needed to protect the United States. Hence, Steve forms a secondary team called the New Avengers (kind of like the Avengers West Coast for the 21st century). The New Avengers are comprised of Luke Cage (AKA Power Man), The Thing, Spider-Man, Wolverine, Ms. Marvel, and Iron Fist. As the New
Sonic
Jun 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Awesome fun! Bendis and Immonen make Magic! Heh heh heh.

I'll be honest at first I found Immonen's "perfect" illustration a little cold and sterile, and I was concerned that he was the wrong choice for such a Magical storyline as this one,
well, as the story went on, the excellence of it all just shut my inner critic right up.

Well, almost, ... I do wonder about having Spider-man (a professed loner) on TWO Avengers teams almost as much as I question Wolverine (professed and obsessed loner) ALSO on
Neil
Apr 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Bendis knows how to write an ensemble cast better than any other current comic writer, and he is perfectly complemented by Stuart Immonen's clean, precise and still dynamic artwork. Superheroics and magic have always been entwined, but outside of Dr. Strange's solo books and the occasional crossover, it often felt forced and made little sense. Bendis manages to take the interdimensional threats of the long mentioned Vishanti, and turns them into a credible villain. What I didn't like was that Be ...more
Alex
Aug 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Brian Michael Bendis gets superhero humor. Wolverine and Spider-Man have some great moments in this book, and I respect the fact that Bendis can write superhero jokes without having them sound stupid.

I also love anything to do with Doctor Strange and his weird shit. This was a decent piece of comic book storytelling, and it's nice to take a deep swig of the Marvel universe every now and again.
Gianfranco Mancini
Neither the best, nor the worst Bendis' story ever.
At last now I finally know were Iron Fist white suit come from. :D

Jason
Jul 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Focused too much on Dr. Strange and was a bit predictable, but Hulk made an appearance so it made up for the bad parts.
Gabriela Pop
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5/5
THIS WAS SO MUCH FUN!
To get the bad out of the way first so I can then focus on the positive elements of the review,I'll start off by saying that the plot did feel a little bit all over the place around the middle of the book,but otherwise it was pretty solid.
The artwork and the story were A+++ and AH,WHAT A CAST OF CHARACTERS!!!!I feel like it can be pretty hard to keep such iconic heroes like some of the ones in this comic in character and feeling authentic to past representations,but the
Kahn
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I still can't get my head round this one. Sure, it sets up the Other Avengers. Sure it brings Hand into play, but still the attempts at merging Strange into the "real" world falls flat.
You can fell it shifting under your hands as you read Vol 1, the "normal" stuff of our heroes being heroes flows, it's fun, it's clearly a joy to write and draw.
But the spiritual plane? Strange and his cohorts doing their thing? It feels awkward, leaden, out of place - as if Bendis and Immonen aren't really sure h
Matt
Collects New Avengers (2010) #1-6

The Dark Reign is over, and the Superhuman Registration Act has been revoked. The New Avengers are able to operate in the public eye again, and their first opponent is a mystical force that draws the Sorcerer Supreme into the mix.

This was not Bendis' best work with the Avengers, and I'm surprised that this is where he decided to start this new chapter of their time as a team.

Final rating - 2.5 stars
Tracy
Jan 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, escapism, fiction
I put this on hold... months ago? And I don't remember why, which probably isn't helping me appreciate it?
Mark
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The gift of placing Bendison the New Avengers just keeps on giving.
Richard Rosenthal
Mar 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic
Stark and Rogers give the keys to the Avengers Mansion to Luke Cage and encourage him to form his own team. They immediately attacked. Chaos ensues. The Avengers save the world.
Jonathan nichols
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: action-atventure
it was alright more action but less words
Sean
Feb 21, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 really
Jenifer Harris
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
It was a great start to a new Avengers series. The build up was a little rocky but it got its groove as it went along.
Terry Collins
Is there such a thing as being too frantically paced? For all of the good moments, there really needed to be some breathing room here (although bonus points for making Son of Satan interesting).
Gomezmr
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thies book is very magnificent.
Dean
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Although Bendis has a tendency to write comics sometimes as though he is writing a sitcom, he does turn out some mightily entertaining comics. This collection was great fun, with neither the characters or the readers able to catch their breath as the Avengers fight off an inter dimensional invasion by Agamotto, who wants his eye back ( Dr Strange fans will know all about this).
Light in tone, some very funny dialogue, and a decent storyline all add up to a worthwhile read.
The art, by Stuart Immon

• Wolverine: Origins, Volume 5: Deadpool
  • Dark X-Men
  • Avengers: The Initiative, Volume 3: Secret Invasion
  • Avengers: World Trust

New Avengers (2010) (6 books)
  • The New Avengers, Volume 2
  • Avengers: Fear Itself
  • The New Avengers, Volume 3
  • The New Avengers, Volume 4
  • The New Avengers, Volume 5
“Dr. Strange: 'That was--agh--smart of you, Logan.'
Wolverine: 'Yeah? Which part?'
Dr. Strange: 'You knew that severe physical trauma to the host body could--sss--cease a demonic possession.'
Wolverine: 'Oh, uh, sure.'
Spider-Man: 'He didn't know that. He stabbed you just to stab you.'
Dr. Strange: 'Well, *argh* either way.”
4 likes