Start by marking “The Measure of the Universe” as Want to Read:
The Measure of the Universe

The Measure of the Universe

4.45  ·  Rating details ·  22 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews

Literary science fiction - 36,000 words.

From the back cover:

A wide-eyed archeologist from Antares arrives in the Greek isles to study ancient inscriptions with a sharp-tongued professor of paleography. Blundering through the lexical labyrinth, they search for love amon
ebook
Published August 1st 2012 by SagaSF (first published June 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Measure of the Universe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Measure of the Universe

Isis
This was an entertaining book, though it took a little bit for me to get into the story, or should I say to discern the true story as it was unfolding. Very creative blending of fact & fiction, history & science fiction, and a fascinating approach to both human history as we know it, and one potential path for humanity to travel over the coming centuries.

I found the proposed parallels interesting, up to, and including, the concept of the physical manifestation of love. There is a truly i
F.T.
Nov 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This is a neat story. It's intriguing, thoughtful and beautifully written. What struck me most is the author's reverence for all things language: writing, words, communication and perception. It expands on these concepts in a fascinating way, through the interaction -- and romance -- between a human woman and a highly advanced alien. Awesome. It made me think about things.
Terri
Jul 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I attended a reading (from this book) by the author and instantly fell in love with the light, frothy, comedic feel of the book, so I snapped up a (SIGNED!) copy. I swallowed this book down in a few hours and now I don't know what to say except, "Awesome! Awesome! Awesome!"

This book is sweet, funny, thoughtful, moving, sad, and thought-provoking. Larson does a phenomenal job making the visiting aliens both alien and advanced (beyond humans). Too often I get impatient with the "you're too dumb t
Liz
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Wildly creative and intelligent, this is a stretch-your-preconcieved ideas kind of book. So much of what we assume is evolution is questioned. It begs the questions, "What is higher thinking? And, if we had a chance to engage an otherworldly person, would we be able to open our minds to understand a different kind of rationale?" I will also add that for all the scientific jargon used, it is a warmly human and humane story. I loved it, loved being in Greece, loved the well-rounded characters.
Barb
Feb 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Consider what it would be like to work with a scientist from an inconceivably advanced culture. This book presents just such a scenario. That the science is paleography and there is also the enjoyment of playing with language in all sorts of ways. Very enjoyable.
Lkai
Feb 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-reads-ever
This is going on my top best reads list.

A story about words; crafted with precise language and entendre. A love story. A philosophical debate about superior and inferior vs advanced and primitive. Fanatisism. Commonality between disparate cultures.
Susan Larson
Sep 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a witty, many-layered story that manages to be light-hearted and profound at the same time. I've read it twice with pleasure.
J.L. Dobias
Dec 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: SFand SFF fans should enjoy this
Shelves: book-shelf-09
The Measure of the Universe by Ellen Larson

This novel is a well written and well rounded piece that stands alone as a great addition to any Science Fiction lovers collection. But, if you are interested there is a bit of story behind the story that can be obtained by following the web links to the author's apology.

The novel itself is short but filled with a lot of thoughtful information. The nub of the story boils down to some basic things. In the world of R.H. Herman and Dr. Aisha Thanau aliens
Ellen Larson
Dec 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
"Studded with clever double entendres and puns, this makes an engaging read for language lovers" -Booklist (click to read complete review)click to read complete review)

"Bookstore workers will hate trying to figure out where to shelve The Measure of the Universe, which cleverly weaves mystery, romance, and wordplay into a twenty-first century tale." -Strange Horizons (click to read complete review)

"Enthusiastically recommended" -MWBR" (click to read complete review)

Dr. Thanau is an interesting he
Echo
Aug 14, 2012
Thomas J. Hubschman
Aug 31, 2012
Adrianne D. Brand
rated it did not like it
Sep 19, 2018
Jan 26, 2013
Amadeus
Jan 31, 2013
Shut Up & Read: Free SF Kindle Download this Weenend 2 13 May 25, 2013 10:24AM
  • Twin-Bred (Twin-Bred #1)
  • A Larger Universe
  • The Millstone Prophecy (Dax McGowan #1)
  • Bangkok Bob And The Missing Mormon
  • An Unlikely Hero (Alfie Bowman Novellas, #1)
  • Gator Aide (Rachel Porter, #1)
  • The Christmas Key: A Christmas Advent-ure
  • Pirates (Nastragull #1)
  • In the Shadow of Babylon
  • Heaven 2.0
  • Outside Context Problem (Outside Context Problem, #1)
  • The Riddle of Prague (The QuickSilver Legacy Series) (Volume 1)
  • Natural Selection