Start by marking “Judgment Day” as Want to Read:
Judgment Day

Judgment Day

A gripping novel that brilliantly blend ancient prophecy with vivid, complex characters, Millennium Rising is a chillingly plausible thriller that will forever haunt your dreams . . .

For thousands of years, sacred texts have predicted the end of the world. The prophets have always proved false. Until now. For in a small Mexican village, people flock from all over the plane
Published October 3rd 2000 by Del Rey (first published October 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Judgment Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Judgment Day

John
Apr 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing end-of-the-world story-telling from a relatively unknown writer. Ok, so it's arguably not as "spiritual" as, say, the Left Behind series, but it's at least ten times better in every other respect--plus, it covers the entire apocalypse in a single volume. Feels like a cross between Michael Crichton and Umberto Eco. It's not perfect--it's a tad too long, and the ending is a little weak--but Jane Jensen delivers here one of the most ambitious, assured debut novels I've ever read. Ok, maybe ...more
Trevor
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first introduction to the writings of Jane Jensen were as the Gabriel Knight computer games (Sins of the Fathers, The Beast Within and Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned) which both my wife and I are quite fond of and are well written and paced games.

Due to my interest in these games and their author, by surfing the internet to see if a 4th game was forthcoming, I came across the notion that she had written stand alone books of which this is one.

The overall premise of this book is that
Roheryn
Aug 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ficción
Bien podría titularse "apocalipsis" porque es eso de lo que se trata. Un montón de gente (cuando digo "un montón" es "un montón de los grandes") se congrega en el pueblo mexicano de Santa Pelagia y... ven a la Virgen, algunos sufren estigmas, esas cosillas católicas. A un puñado pequeño de personas muy diferentes entre sí les es revelado el final del mundo, y a lo largo del libro vas viendo como se cumplen las señales una a una.

Es un libro bastante entretenido, se lee muy bien (yo me he demorado
Terry Polston
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Arian Stoetzer
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A page turning thriller with incredibly high stakes and ambition.
Lisa Lilly
Jul 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Despite not being religious, or perhaps because of it, I'm intrigued by thrillers with an end-of-the-world bent. Here, thousands of people gather in Mexico. A small group of them -- each from different walks of life and religious (or non-religious) backgrounds -- claims to have been instructed by differing messengers to travel to Mexico to receive visions or experience miracles. Afterward, each predicts certain apocalyptic events that come to pass. Father Michele Deauchez, on assignment from the ...more
Jaime Contreras
I went into this book with an expectation of 'an end-of-the-world' scenario with suspense and a solid plot. This novel is a better attempt but it has several lapses in keeping up the suspense and trying to add too much. At one point, biblical prophecies,secret societies, religious organization-engineered plots, aliens, political power plays, economic, natural, and social upheaval are all thrown into the mix. All this confuses one and makes one stop reading to try and find out the direction of th ...more
Keith Davis
Nov 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Could someone actually fake the apocalypse, and could they have a good reason to try? A young Italian priest is sent by the Vatican to Mexico to investigate a Marian apparition and becomes involved with a diverse group of religious visionaries from around the world who are all prophesying the immanent end of the world.
Charleen
Dec 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: year-2010, 5-stars
This is exactly the kind of large-scale, high-stakes story that I love to read, and Jensen executes it beautifully. It is a fusion of faith, philosophy, politics, all blended together in an extremely intense novel. I love that it doesn't shy away from where it's going, and really makes you think. A must-read for any thriller fan.
Dianne Gothly
May 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Everybody needs to read this book. it's so amazing how Jane Jensen write and create a big story with many beliefs. you can't stop to read and the most important, how 15 years ago was published a book with many things that are happening just right now. it's like read to Orwell, Huxley...
Jenna Raytor
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was one of THE BEST books I have ever read. Kept me wanting to turn every page! I've recommended this to a lot of people. Scary, thriller, nerve-wracking...it has everything that a reader could want in a book and has no slow downs. This book starts at page 1
Rae
Mar 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
I rather enjoyed this novel in spite of its silliness. I especially enjoyed the information on how the Vatican goes about investigating cases of stigmata and visitations from Mary.
Tina
Jul 20, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: tried-to-read
I tried 3 times to get into this book, and I just couldn't. I enjoyed her book "Dante's Equation" but this one had too many threads that just didn't connect quickly enough.
Joe
Jul 23, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Add this to your wish list if you enjoy "end of the world" books. All the signs are there. Is it time for the world to end or is it just mass hysteria? A perfect beach read.
Shaunalyn Disney
Oct 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
It’s the apocalypse! or an elaborate diabolical conspiracy? Either way it’s a dark commentary on modern times and revisionist history.
Karen Puerchambud
Jul 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
El padre Deauchez busca desenmascarar "el fin del mundo" para lo cual deberá sufrir la pérdida de otros y cambiar sus planes.
Joshua
Dec 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very interesting. It wasn't your average apocalyptic novel. I found much of what I used to believe about the world.
AE
May 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
aka Millenium Rising
Joan Horkey
Apr 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Horrifying, suspenseful, and emotional. I was riveted by Jane Jensen's spectacular story of the end of the world.
SittieCates
Dec 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A page-turner! Such a wonderful read! I loved it!
Athena
Nov 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
WOW! This one had me practically running out and stocking up on food and provisions, just in case. Then the plot thickened and it was good! This one will make you think, for sure!
Em
Jun 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Judgment Day originally publilshed as Millennium Rising, liked it enough to have reread it.
Robb Bridson

• The Old Reliable
  • The Rabbi
  • El Quinto Evangelio
  • The Tower of Babel
  • Juegos de la edad tardía
  • The Magdalene Scrolls
  • Bella y oscura
  • The Keepers of the Flame (Fire-us, #2)
  • Violet (V, #6)
  • The New Madrid Run
  • Qumran
  • Waterworld
  • Aftermath (Supernova Alpha, #1)
  • En busca del unicornio
  • Mind Catcher
  • Them
  • Elegy Beach
  • Crime Zero
Jane Jensen is the game designer of the popular and critically acclaimed Gabriel Knight adventure games and author of the novels Judgement Day and Dante's Equation.
Jane Jensen was born Jane Elizabeth Smith, the youngest of seven children. She received a BA in Computer Science from Anderson University in Indiana and worked as a systems programmer for Hewlett-Packard. Her love of both computers and