Start by marking “Raising Baby Green: The Earth-Friendly Guide to Pregnancy, Childbirth, and Baby Care” as Want to Read:

In this illustrated and easy-to-use guide, noted pediatrician Dr. Alan Greene, a leading voice of the green baby movement, advises parents how to make healthy green choices for pregnancy, childbirth, and baby care--from feeding your baby the best food available to using medicines wisely. Consumer advocate Jeanette Pavini includes information for making smart choices and ap ...more
Published September 1st 2007 by Jossey-Bass (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Raising Baby Green, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raising Baby Green

Start your review of Raising Baby Green: The Earth-Friendly Guide to Pregnancy, Childbirth, and Baby Care
Taylor
Feb 03, 2008 rated it it was ok
I wasn't overly impressed by this book. That could be because I learned most of the info (organic food, natural cleaners, etc.) by osmosis from my mom when I was a "Green Kid" - way back before this Green Living Revolution.

Some things stunned me - like the extensive list of what a 'green mom' needs to take to the hospital with her. I thought back to my home birth and realized that we used some bathroom cleaner, olive oil, a shower curtain liner, and laundry soap (including a small amount of ble
Brenda
May 26, 2008 rated it liked it
Raising Baby Green was easy and quick to read and is a book I will keep around simply for the fact that Dr. Greene has put together an impressive resource guide of websites where one can find lots of information on greening one's life and home. I'm sure this book will be a great reference in the future when I'm looking to buy something, that being said, I had two problems with this book.

First, after about the second chapter this book starts to read like an advertisement to buy buy buy! For examp
Erin
Feb 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is an invaluable book, not only for those who are pregnant or have small children, but for anyone interested in living a greener, healthier life. I've been eating organic food for several years now and made the switch to natural household cleaning products and natural and/or organic cosmetics within the past two years but this book still taught me a lot and is a wonderful reference book. I highly recommend it to everyone -- even if you only are willing to make a few of the changes you'll be ...more
Amber
Jan 15, 2008 rated it liked it
Like everything else, this book is on a take and leave basis with me. I took the information I found useful and left what I thought was overkill or malarkey. If you're really looking into living organically, this may be a great resource for you; however, I'm at the baby step stage where I'll make certain changes but am not ready to make a complete overhaul just yet. Since being green is the "in thing" right now, you could find yourself shelling out a ton of money to make the switch. If you're cr ...more
Natalie
Apr 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I'm partway into this and LOVE it!

There are great ideas and a wonderful balance between health issues and other environmental issues. There are resources, studies, etc. It's well-researched and well-organized. I am pretty sure it has enough good tips that I will buy a copy at some point.

It would make a wonderful present for any parent or parent-to-be. It starts with changes to make during (or even before) pregnancy.

****
Whoo-hoo now I own a copy! Merry Christmas from Bether :-)
Suse
Apr 13, 2009 rated it it was ok
I was not very impressed with this. There was not a lot of new information or much beyong common sense. I kept feeling like I was reading a promo sponsored by Seventh Generation. This would be a great book for the well-to-do-suburbanite who is just beginning to dabble into the idea of living more gently on this Earth.
Cher
Jun 24, 2009 added it
This book is full of useful lists that bzck up Dr. Greene's(love the name)
chapters about greening your pregnancy and your house after the baby arrives. He names products and brands that are safe and healthy. Directions for homemade products are also given. I recommend this book for any expecting parents or grandparents.
Anastasia
In actuality, this was a great book, but I think it's probably best for people who are new to environmentalism or those who haven't already given thought to issues of sustainability and health as they relate to children.
Bridget
Jul 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a great reference for everyone trying to live an eco-friendly life, not just parents!
Lexie
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was ok. It could definitely use an update/new edition.
Bo
May 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Read the book, I agree with the other 2 star reviews
Tik Tak
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Good for those just starting out on their green journey. Otherwise, for those already leading a "natural" and "green" lifestyle, most of the info is common sense or obvious.
Lauren
Oct 08, 2019 rated it liked it
A little dated, and mostly things anyone who has looked into green living before would know, but did learn a thing or two. Worth a good skim.
SISTERS Magazine
Mar 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Every time I have a new baby, I’m a bit of a new mum all over again. It seems like I should have at least learnt the basics after six babies, but the basics keep changing on me! The wealth of baby-related products and the methodologies are constantly being updated, while my responsibilities to my baby and to Allah I remain the same. Wait, that’s not true. My responsibilities grow as my knowledge-base grows, so while it’s great that I learned so much after having six babies, it certainly would ha ...more
Bird
I liked this book overall, although at times it made me feel hopeless, as in: What ISN'T bad for pregnancy/babies in the modern world?! (Ex: carpeting, air fresheners, most mattresses, etc.) The lists of things to avoid are mind-boggling, and while I was at least marginally aware of many of the items discussed in the book, seeing them all together, and examined more thoroughly, was unsettling. There were so many times throughout the book that I put it down and said to my husband, "We have to sto ...more
Celly
Mar 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
In my opinion, this is the green baby bible!

I really enjoyed reading Dr. Greene's book. For one, because I truly believe in the green movement. But more importantly, reading his book was kinda like meeting him and talking to him in person. He gives great advice without sounding preachy. He outlines in the beginning that 'every little bit helps' then proceeds to inform you on WHY it's important and HOW to do it.

The green baby movement is growing rapidly. Three years ago I had to hunt down glass b
thewanderingjew
Nov 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This is a great handbook to will help modern families raise their children and provide a healthy environment for themselves, as well. Who wouldn't want to give their kids the best chance for a good future?
This book gives advice on everything. It covers the days of the pregnancy, the delivery, lactation advice, clothing, food and even how to store it and what kind of containers are better than others.
It tells you how to care for the baby properly, what medications are safe, what soaps are better,
Zandy
Aug 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Great book for a general overview of environmental considerations when you are pregnant and raising children. The authors list a ton of other books and websites you can go to for more in depth information on any topic as well. Since it is summer now and we spend so much time outside (with Fraser covered in dirt and Hammie eating grass)I especially liked the section on safe and environmentally friendly lawn and garden care. Also, the book has a very clear explanation regarding plastics (which "nu ...more
Aug 26, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: baby-stuff
This is a pretty good book, but it's more about how to switch your entire life and family over to green living than anything particularly baby related. The first two chapters are on pregnancy and labor and delivery, but after that, the topics get much more general - eco-friendly flooring, furniture, laundry detergent, etc. I would recommend this book if you are choosing to change to a green lifestyle for your baby, but if you already lead a pretty eco-conscious life, there might not be much new ...more
Brittney
May 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
I've recently become interested in living a more natural lifestyle, and this book was very informative. It talks about everything from which foods to buy organic (if you're not buying everything organic) to cleaning your house w/ natural every-day products, etc. He provides links to websites that offer earth-friendly products. I borrowed the book from the library, but I think I want to buy it so I always have it on hand to refer to! (Great for moms or moms-to-be)
Samanthajocampen
Jul 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
If I could give it four and A HALF stars I would. I loved this book. I found it easy to understand, non-preachy, and in the majority of the cases, doable. What I also found useful is that this doesn't ONLY apply to parents with babies. There are a lot of household and dietary suggestions that apply to anyone (eco-friendly paint, carpet, food, etc.) A must for anyone trying to be organic and eco-friendly with or without children.
Corinne Grimes
Sep 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Raising Baby Green is a hands-on, practical guide to making your home as pure and natural for your baby and family. It contains everything from home recipes for cleaners to product suggestions and is very clear about toxicity as it relates to certain chemicals commonly found in household products and our environment.

It is an easy read on top of everything else. All parents should read this book!
Brenna
Oct 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Awesome book! It wasn't too one-sided. It didn't try to scare you. It just made helpful suggestions as to what you can do to have a healthier and more environmentally friendly home. He started with basic suggestions that you can start with and went on to provide more involved suggestions that you can use depending on your finances, committment, time, etc. Most of his ideas just seemed so sensible. I have a million post-it notes in the book right now. Too bad it's a library book...
Melissa
Feb 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Although I haven't finished reading this yet, it is by far one of my favorite pregnancy books. It essentially goes through everything from conception through life and how ways to be more environmentally friendly. It even gives alternative suggestions to all the baby medicines, etc. which I think will come in really handy when that time comes.
Kristiana
Mar 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Thia book is an excellent book for ANYONE that is interesing in learing about how to go green and WHY it's important. You can get so much out of this book whether or not you have a child or are pg. This book is PACKED with helpful knowlege and information that people really SHOULD know. Check out the table on how much pesticides are in different fruits and veggies. AMAZING! I can go on and on.
May 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
At first I thought this book was kind of annoying, but Greene gives lots of practical advice and ways big and small to change your life and our world. A criticism in general about "greening" our lives is overcoming the sometimes huge cost differential, something I thought this book didn't always address. This book covers not just raising your baby green but living more green in general.
Melissa
Jul 08, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2009
This books has some good ideas. A lot of things I kind of knew already, but some things I hadn't really thought about doing. I'll be the first to admit that I am not a "green" person. I think about it a lot, but never really do anything. Maybe having this book peek at me from my bookshelf will remind me.
Dianna
Jul 19, 2009 rated it liked it
Good, basic, book. Doesn't go into too much detail about any one thing, but a nice overview. Good for people not all that familiar with the "green" movement, or who need a jumping off point for a specific idea (i.e., we'll be getting a room carpeted in the near future and this was a good place for me to start figuring out the best way to go about making the right buying choice).
Katelyn Patterson
Aug 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Whether you will find this book helpful depends on how far along you have come to "being green" already. There are many tips that don't necessarily deal with giving birth or raising children. But I already use vinegar as a house cleaning product, etc. I would have preferred more brand suggestions for products for baby.
Jessie
Mar 04, 2012 rated it liked it
This book is great for someone just entering the world of green and healthy living. It's a nice refresher for someone who is well versed in the world of knowing chemicals and organics and all that living green is all about. Dr. Green is awesome, though, and his book "Feeding Baby Green" is phenomenal- which led me to read this also.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Texas Mail Order Bride (Bachelors of Battle Creek, #1)
  • Expecting Better: Why the Conventional Pregnancy Wisdom is Wrong - and What You Really Need to Know
  • Super Pumped: The Battle for Uber
  • Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy
  • The Little Book of Skin Care: Korean Beauty Secrets for Healthy, Glowing Skin
  • Affordable Interior Design: High-End Tips for Any Budget
  • Baby-Led Weaning, Completely Updated and Expanded Tenth Anniversary Edition: The Essential Guide—How to Introduce Solid Foods and Help Your Baby to Grow Up a Happy and Confident Eater
  • The Less People Know About Us: A Mystery of Betrayal, Family Secrets, and Stolen Identity
  • The Smart Parent's Guide to Raising Vegan Kids: Lessons for Littles in Plant-Based Eating and Compassionate Living
  • Go the F**k to Sleep
  • Lady Killers: Deadly Women Throughout History
  • The World As I See It
  • You Have to Fucking Eat
  • Fuck, Now There Are Two of You (Go the Fuck to Sleep #3)
  • The Collagen Diet: A 28-Day Plan for Sustained Weight Loss, Glowing Skin, Great Gut Health, and a Younger You
  • The Collagen Diet: Rejuvenate Skin, Strengthen Joints and Feel Younger by Boosting Collagen Intake and Production
  • Goodnight Already!