Start by marking “Na Hannibal” as Want to Read:
Na Hannibal

Na Hannibal

Enkele mensen die in Italië nogal afgesloten van de buitenwereld wonen, wenden zich tot dezelfde sluwe advocaat wanneer zij voor problemen komen te staan.
Published 1998 by De Geus (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Na Hannibal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Na Hannibal

Betty
Dec 18, 2012 Betty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was hooked from thefirst sentence - "They are called strade vicinali, neighborhood roads. They are not intended to join places, only to give access to scattered houses...there are thousands of miles of them wandering over the face of rural Italy" As my friend who lent me the book knew I would be, I was instantly back in Tuscany - sans GPS, and lost. An elegantly written, tragic/comic opera kind of book, and a real departure from the only other book of Unger's I have read - Sacred Hunger. Loved ...more
Michael Moseley
Read just because of the holiday in Umbria. The book is set in and around Perugia. The local solicitor would seem to be a central character with the ability to advise a whole range of different people about the best way to settle their problems with a refreshing view of life. Did little in encouraging me to purchase that holiday home.
Andrew
Dec 19, 2016 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very different book from the last one I read by this author..that was a period sea faring yarn about slavery called sacred hunger which I rated highly...this is more contemporary a tad cynical but readable.
it's the tale...or rather tales of some ex pats living in Italy...that however doesn't really do the book justice it's a book about relationships..not just in the marital sense but also in regard the interaction with neighbours..all in all pretty much every relationship within this book is f
John
Mar 09, 2017 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the varied stories of the expats trying to make a life of it in Umbria and the locals they had to deal with. Great portrayal of dreams conflicting with reality of life. Would like to read a book about the local lawyer who is a pivot point for all the parties.
Louise
I enjoyed this historical fiction which is the neighbourly story of the 'Greens'; 'Chapman's'; 'Ritter'; and the 'Chechettis'. In other words American, English, German and Italian neighbours living along a dusty road in Umbria, Italy. Each of these families have their own dreams of turning the somewhat dilapated homes they've purchased into mansions of beauty. For me, this was a picturesque, historical and witty journey through Italy and history.

From back cover:

"Set in the beautiful landscape an
April
Once again, Unsworth delivers a wonderful synopsis of Western optimism, artsy idealism, against the backdrop of Italian government by examining the mostly American and English expatriots situated along a small road in Umbria. Each inhabitant is perfectly drawn, from the rude, bottom-line banker with a pendantic, artsy wife to the gay couple of a much older ex-race car driver and his beautiful young, uneducated lover, to the sweet American couple with Guiless Victims practically tatooed on their ...more
Lauren Albert
Mar 13, 2010 Lauren Albert rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A deeply cynical novel. I found it difficult to read at first since it seemed that it was going to be one of those books where only bad things happen to good people. I would have given the book a 2 if I had continued to feel that way. But the book improved and since I felt the second half was worth a 4, I averaged it out. Bad things do happen to good people. But it seemed to me in the first half, that there was a gleefulness on the part of the author in the way people were tricked and manipulate ...more
Lizzy
Apr 02, 2013 Lizzy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: british-invasion
(Three-and-a-half stars)This is less of a novel and more of a character study set in rural Umbria, Italy. Don't expect a lot of action; this is a subtle presentation of different nationalities (German, American, English and Italian) as they contend with the maintenance of a shared road. It is as nuanced and soft as the light in Umbria itself.(less)
Apr 29, 2013 09:32am ·
Mike
Jul 26, 2011 Mike rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Everyone's entitled to cough up a fur ball like this one now and again when they've written classics like "Sacred Hunger" and "Morality Play". By comparison, this novel made me say..."So What?" Slight interest in the Green characters, but thought I was in for more of a treat. Would like to visit the author in Umbria when I go in August.
Diana Sandberg
Well, now it’s two and two - two books by Unsworth that I found rich and deep and satisfying - Morality Play and Sacred Hunger, and two that could by no means be described as bad, but didn’t grab me - Pascali’s Island and this one. It is a book of glimpses, and I’ll certainly give Unsworth credit for doing that on purpose, rather than in error, but I found it too choppy, not engaging. Ah well.
Scottie
This was really an unusual reading experience. When it was good, it was almost unbearably good--the situations were vivid and nerve-racking, and at times a particular sentence was so strong I felt sideswiped. But other parts were excruciatingly boring. So I don't know what to tell you.
Ruth
Nov 15, 2015 Ruth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sort of a " piece of candy" type book-3 stars I thought. A bunch of characters in Umbria-- fun but predictable. But with the fascinating character of the German who's coming to understand his past, it rises to something with more depth and interest.
Maryka Biaggio
Oct 05, 2014 Maryka Biaggio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unsworth's novel about his adopted region, Umbria, is just one more example of what a smart writer he is. This one's full of intrigue and moral questions, reversals and lessons. Unsworth never got the attention he so deserved during his life, at least not in the U.S.
Derek Bridge
May 29, 2016 Derek Bridge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much better second-time around! On the surface, a light comedy of conflict between neighbours. But Unsworth is always hugely subversive, his novels aswirl with headier themes. Here it is land, culture, belonging, pride, love, venality and history. Very enjoyable.
Caroline
This is the first book I've read by this author and probably the last. While the writing style was good, the story line was dull and ultimately pointless. The book just meandered along very slowly and then ended with no real resolution. Not for me.
Bob Conklin
An amusing look at life in rural Umbria
Michael Taouk
Mar 23, 2015 Michael Taouk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
an easy read. I enjoyed it.
Hannah
Feb 05, 2008 Hannah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
utterly insipid and pointless, and i hated all the characters. i probably could have guessed just by looking at the cover.
Carol Peters
Sep 23, 2016 Carol Peters rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
deadly boring
Linda Leith
A novel about the personal disasters of a group of neighbours in contemporary Italy living near the site of a bloody battle in which Hannibal's forces routed and massacred the Roman army. Good.
Cooper Renner
Dec 30, 2011 Cooper Renner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well-done traditional novel, following the lives of several characters living in rural Umbria over the space of several weeks as their paths cross.
Paul Heather
Pretty good - from the bookshelf in the Gite
Catherine Lemmer
A study of ex-pats and others that cross each other's lives as they attempt to renovate homes and create lives in Umbria, Itlay. Oddly I found the lawyer most interesting and complex.
Sean Lucas
Sean Lucas rated it liked it
May 08, 2010
Gerard
Gerard rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2016
Janet Landman
Janet Landman rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2016
Alan
Alan rated it did not like it
Jan 08, 2016
Catherine Jordan
Catherine Jordan rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2015
Geoff Wisner
Geoff Wisner rated it liked it
May 09, 2013
  • On the Laps of Gods: The Red Summer of 1919 and the Struggle for Justice That Remade a Nation
  • North of Ithaka: A Granddaughter Returns to Greece and Discovers Her Roots
  • When Summer's in the Meadow
  • We've Always Had Paris...and Provence: A Scrapbook of Our Life in France
  • Hannibal's Children
  • Hannibal (Military Library)
  • The Enemies of Rome: From Hannibal to Attila the Hun
  • Whole Grains Every Day, Every Way
  • Scipio Africanus (The Carthage Trilogy, #2)
  • Daily Painting: Paint Small and Often To Become a More Creative, Productive, and Successful Artist
  • A Small Place in Italy
  • Eat Your Vegetables: Bold Recipes for the Single Cook
  • Written by Herself: Autobiographies of American Women: An Anthology
  • The PlantPure Nation Cookbook: The Official Companion Cookbook to the Breakthrough Film...with over 150 Plant-Based Recipes
  • Everyday Life in Early America (The Everyday Life in America series)
  • The Lost Tomb
  • Time To Be In Earnest: A Fragment Of Autobiography
  • History of Alexander the Great
Barry Unsworth was born in 1930 in a mining village in Durham, and he attended Stockton-on-Tees Grammar School and Manchester University, B.A., 1951.

From 1951-53, in the British Army, Royal Corps of Signals, he served and became second lieutenant.

A teacher and a novelist, Unsworth worked as a lecturer in English at Norwood Technical College, London, at University of Athens for the British Council
More about Barry Unsworth...