Start by marking “Against the Tide of Years (Island in the Sea of Time, #2)” as Want to Read:
Against the Tide of Years (Island in the Sea of Time, #2)

Against the Tide of Years (Island in the Sea of Time #2)

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  3,831 Ratings  ·  130 Reviews
Against The Tide Of Years continues the adventures BR of the Nantucket residents who have been transported through BR time to the Bronze Age. In the years since their arrival, the BR fledging Republic of Nantucket has strived to better the BR primitive world in which they now exist. Their prime concerns BR are establishing a constitution and handling the waves of BR immigr ...more
Published May 1st 1999 by Penguin Group (USA) (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Against the Tide of Years, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Against the Tide of Years

Sarah Anne
Assyrians! Hittites! Babylonians! Egyptians! In a non-fiction book, I would be completely drooling over these subjects. But what I want to read about are the cultures. Instead I got battles, battles, battles, a few more battles, and then some more... battles. And holy crap, it got old. I think that out of the 454 pages of this book about 400 pages was spent on... battles! I'm dreading book #3.
Robin
Apr 17, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2007
I read the first in this series, Island in the Sea of Time, back in 2000 on the recommendation of my brother. I really loved the duck-out-of-water story of modern-day Nantucket, pulled from our time and transported to sometime in the B.C. 800s. I actually started this second book not too long after the first, and put it down because it just didn't capture my attention. This time--though I wanted to put it down-- I persevered. I just couldn't get into it. I just didn't care. I was so done with th ...more
Kim
The second book of the Nantucket series picks up a couple years after the first book, though there are bits and pieces set during the intervening years as well. The Nantucketers have spread further around the globe with numerous bases in North and Central America as well as the British Isles, South Africa and the western Indian Ocean.

After the events in book one Walker has established himself firmly in ancient Greece where he is building an empire. It is up to the Nantucketers to find and recru
Craig
Nov 05, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed Island in the Sea of Time more as I went along, so I'm willing to give this one a chance. But really, the writing style and over-all plot seem to coincide just a BIT too closely with the 'dark and mysterious stranger' bio pic the author included that CLEARLY indicates his position as ren-faire roleplayer extraodinaire. And the social commentary and revenge of the nerds mentality DOES get a little heavy at times.
Amy
May 02, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Cheryl
Jun 15, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
As much as I enjoyed other books by this author, this one was as disappointing as the first of this series.
Jeff
Aug 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stirling continues the saga of the time-displaced Nantucket Island, swept back in time to 1250 BC by a still unexplained Event. As in the first title Island in the Sea of Time the Republic of Nantucket is making technical strides, reaching out to the Bronze Age cultures in North America, England, Africa, and the Middle East in the hopes of surrounding and catching the renegade William Walker, who is making similar strides in Greece, Sicily, Eastern Europe, and Anatolia.

Stirling does an excellent
Kat  Hooper
Nov 10, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
It’s been several years since “the event” which pulled the island of Nantucket back in time to 1300 B.C. (We read all about this in Island in the Sea of Time, the first book in S.M. Stirling’s NANTUCKET trilogy.) The islanders have been busy learning how to live without all the modern conveniences of the 20th century. They are successfully learning how to farm and fish, breed animals, acquire fuels, build ships and dirigibles, harvest morphine from poppies, make textiles, and develop vaccines an ...more
Scott
Sep 29, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is the second of the Nantucket Trilogy and it seemed more like the middle chapters of a bigger story than a separate book. The story didn't really progress well and I found it a difficulrt book to get through. There were no major plot changes and the book just stopped...didn't realy ahve any sort of ending. I have the third book in the ttrilogy already so I'll read it...but not for a while. This was a disappointing book.
Katherine
Jan 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Good followup on the first book, although this definitely suffers from middle book syndrome. A lot of it is building up to the final blowout in the end, and I almost wish some of the only barely touched on storylines bore more fruit.

It also has a terrible chapter organization, instead of the dates at the beginning of the chapters, they should have been at the beginning of the sections of that date, made it hard to keep track of what exactly was happening when.
Chris
Dec 01, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just when I thought this series could not be any more awesome, they started FARMING MOAS. \o/
Stuart McCunn
I really enjoy the premise of this series (which is much like the 1632 series only in the Bronze Age) but the execution is less perfect than could be desired. To first cover the elements he handles well: the cultures and speech of the various groups feels amazingly authentic. These are alien cultures and he introduces them with aplomb. The technological innovations are plausible and the complexity impressive.

The issues I have with the book largely come from the scale, speed, and characters. The
Baglady
May 29, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wplc-holdings
plot with forgone conclusion, some interesting twists but wanted more "what is it like to bring modern attitudes and practices to ancient times" not just "how can modern warfare be translated to ancient times". Not sure the infantry techniques and air strategies are accurately described - the same sentences are rewritten endlessly to describe how advancing infantry moves - but I skimmed so much of the battle scenes that I actually lost track of which ancient groups were fighting. rather boring i ...more
Laurie Flood nuzzolilo
Best time travel book to date!!! love the series!!!
Sverre
I thought the first Nantucket book was tolerable. But I could not finish this second volume. It seemed like a never-ending movie of boring replays. Some of its faults were: too many details that were inconsequential to a credible plot; too many battles, blood and gore; too many characters and cultural weirdness to get familiar with; too much jumping around of locations and and a progressing timeline.
Tom
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome, Incredible
Jonathan Palfrey
Jul 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first volume of the trilogy took us up to the beginning of year 3 A.E. (After the Event), but we last saw William Walker in year 2. This second volume takes up Walker's story from year 2, when he escaped from England and went by sea to Greece, stopping briefly in Spain to help his ally Isketerol usurp the Kingdom of Tartessos.

Years 3 to 7 are relatively uneventful in Nantucket, so the Nantucket story skips ahead to year 8. However, rather than giving us chapters of pure Walker, Stirling choo
Dxmaniac69
Ok, so this is the 2nd book of a series, but this review will suffice for the first two books.

The series deals with the island of Nantucket getting sent back in time to about 1200B.C., and how the people of the island deal with the sudden changes in their lives.

The bad side of the series is that Stirling enjoys writing about the technical details of everything. He describes how the ships sail in detail in the first book, and goes into long descriptions of how the forges work and such. I recogni
Books-treasureortrash
Book Review: 2 Treasure Boxes

pages), ASIN: B001NNC0KG

The Island of Nantucket moved 3,000 years into the past 8 years ago. Against the Tide of Years shows how the Islander's are adapting, what impact they are having on the Bronze age society. Walker and his evil wife Alice Hong are still rampaging and causing strife wherever they go, it is now time to track them down and stop them but something always seems to interfere with this task.

This is the second of three books in the Nantucket series, and
Thomas
Aug 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
SOLID followup to the first book (which you obviously MUST read before this one)

When Stirling starts listing all the multiple timelines at the beginning of each chapter it's best to just ignore them and keep reading. I swear, he starts some chapters with FOUR time-stamps (with some in parenthesis) that you are suppossed to keep track of and correllate to the various constantly shifting perspectives!! Is he insane? If you want people to follow such things list them at the start of each perspectiv
Nathan Miller
Aug 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stirling's writing in this series continues to be excellent. I was reading it mostly at work, so let me just say that I HATE having to go back to work right in the middle of a battle! It was really tempting to stretch out my breaks to keep reading.
I always appreciate how Stirling's attention to detail draws me into the story. If there are holes in his historical research, and I'm ill-equipped to say if that's so, he writes it with confidence and plausibility. Though he does repeatedly highlight
George
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
Regarding the first novel in this series, 'Island in The Sea of Time', the premise was interesting and I like the characters but, something was missing. There is a more than enough detail on how things work or are built, etc. but the writing never felt electric or moving in the way that great authors do. I don't expect every writer to be great but, if it's going to be a novel of ideas and conjecture, the writing style and prose should have passages that really strike deep. If it's going to be a ...more
Buzz H.
Nov 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: f-sf
This is a good sequel to Island in the Sea of Time. It was well-written and thoroughly enjoyable. The following is, thus, a critique of a book that is well worth reading in spite of any flaws.

Mr. Stirling clearly realizes that culture and language influence peoples' ability to adapt to change. Especially to change that threatens their fundamental understandings about the world they inhabit.

Very minor spoilers ahead.

However, his writing does not indicate a sufficiently deep understanding of that
Lisa
Jul 28, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the book overall. We have moved into the ancient world that is more familiar. We are connecting with Homer's heroes before they become heros. As history changes they won't get to be heroes. We see Troy, Babylon, Assyrian and even the Hittite empire. It was interesting having all those Empires interacting at once without one dominant force. If I remember right the Hittites should have had dominance along with Egypt. Babylon and Assyria have several centuries before their dominance or ev ...more
Audrey Maran
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
More of a 3.5 star rating. The premise of this series is a cool one, and I love seeing how a modern day group of people would cope when thrown back in time along with their immediate surroundings. The characters are familiar and mostly well done. I wish the writer would focus more on dealing with the problems of nature than of other cultures, but that is just a personal preference. However, something about this series has a repetitive feel. Sort of like old movies where the actors would sit in a ...more
Donald
This would have been closer to four stars if it weren't for all the jumping around in the sequence of the story. I had to keep flipping back to the start of each chapter to confirm when things were taking place. Stirling used the dual timelines much more effectively in "The Protector's War", here it had me more annoyed than engaged.

That said, I enjoyed the continuing adventures of the Nantucket crowd and their long distance maneuvering against Walker and his crew. Being the second in the series
Wayne Wilson
Sep 23, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book as Stirling develops this alternate world with the bad guys rising up to dominate 2000 BC. William Walker just keeps getting stronger while the champions of freedom and goodness win battles but seem to be losing the war.

As I listened to this book I keep sort of rooting for Walker. He represents a type of person I wish I could be more alike. He is a driven character. He knows what he wants and he lets nothing get in his way. He wants to be King of the World and he does all in
Balkron
Jan 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, reviewed, own
My Rating Scale:
1 Star - Horrible book, It was so bad I stopped reading it. I have not read the whole book and wont
2 Star - Bad book, I forced myself to finish it and do NOT recommend. I can't believe I read it once
3 Star - Average book, Was entertaining but nothing special. No plans to ever re-read
4 Star - Good Book, Was a really good book and I would recommend. I am Likely to re-read this book
5 Star - GREAT book, A great story and well written. I can't wait for the next book. I Will Re-Read th
jammastere
Jun 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The second book in a really amazing time-travel/alternate history series!

I usually have a hard time with the middle book in a trilogy. I want the story to move and the characters to grow and for me to care about them more, a tall order for the author without a big wrap up. This book fits the bill nicely! There book takes place 8 years after the end of book 1 and so you get caught up on what has been going on. You also get to know new characters and more about characters you already know.

It is i
Joe Santoro
I really feel like I should like this book more than I did.. it took me a while to get through it. It's not anytihng specific.. it just felt hollow to me. It didn't help that this, the middle book of the trilogy, mostly simply set up the conclusion.

The two opposing Nantucket forces (the 'good guys' on the Island and the 'Bad Guys' in Europe), make friends and the battle lines are drawn. I was greatly looking forward to seeing Greeks and Trojans in the mix (which the back of the book advertised)
  • 1633 (Assiti Shards, #2)
  • Designated Targets (Axis of Time, #2)
  • In at the Death (Settling Accounts, #4)
  • Firestorm (Destroyermen, #6)
Stephen Michael Stirling is a French-born Canadian-American science fiction and fantasy author. Stirling is probably best known for his Draka series of alternate history novels and the more recent time travel/alternate history Nantucket series and Emberverse series.

MINI AUTO-BIOGRAPHY:
(personal website: source)

I’m a writer by trade, born in France but Canadian by origin and American by naturalizat
More about S.M. Stirling...

Island in the Sea of Time (3 books)
  • Island in the Sea of Time (Nantucket, #1)
  • On the Oceans of Eternity (Nantucket, #3)

“We had to become other than we were, or cease to be at all,” 0 likes