Start by marking “The Green Rust” as Want to Read:
The Green Rust

The Green Rust

It should interest you very much, he said. "The effect of Bromocine," he went on, speaking with the quiet precision of one who was lecturing on the subject to an interested audience, "is peculiar. It reduces the subject to a condition of extreme lassitude, so that really nothing matters or seems to matter. Whilst perfectly conscious the subject goes obediently to his death ...more
Paperback
Published June 1st 2004 by Kessinger Publishing (first published 1919)

To ask other readers questions about The Green Rust, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Green Rust

Leslie
This 1919 thriller was suspenseful even though the plot is dated in some technical aspects (such as (view spoiler)). The main portion of this though seemed surprisingly modern -(view spoiler)
Herman Gigglethorpe
This is the kind of bestseller you would find in the 1920s. Edgar Wallace is sometimes called the "James Patterson of his time", and for good reason. Both are extremely prolific. As many as 25% of books sold in Britain at the time were written by Wallace, and I see posters for a new Patterson book every couple of weeks in my local library. That, and both are mystery and thriller writers.

What is the "Green Rust"? I'll go ahead and spoil it for you because who is going to read this except for thos
Rupert Matthews
I like Edgar Wallace, I really do. But this book is awful. The main character behaves with such arrant foolishness that it is a miracle that she ever managed to walk out the door in the morning without tripping over. The supposed detective misses the most obvious clues and blunders around like an utter oaf. And the storyline is pretty far fetched anyway.

Don't waste your time.

A real shame as other books by this author that I have read were very good indeed.
John Whipple
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rust never sleeps!

This was great fun to read. German anger over their loss in the Great War causes a bold attempt at early biological warfare. A mad German scientist plots the destruction of Europe and the US wjile an intrepid American detective and a damsal in distress struggle to thwart his plan.
Scilla
Sep 13, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The plot is a little farfetched as are most of Wallace's books, but it is a good read. It begins with the murder of a very rich man who has just written his will leaving his money to his poor niece who is not supposed to know about the legacy until the day she is married (to prevent treasure seekers). It involves a plot by a German after WWI to kill all the corn in the developed world and force them to buy corn from Germany (who still has its own and all of Russia's corn) at greatly inflated pri ...more
Polly
Kimbolimbo
I believe that John Christopher must have read this book before writing his novel, No Blade of Grass. I consider this book to be the prequel to No Blade of Grass. So as you can imagine, I enjoyed reading this thriller even though the dialogue was ridiculous and it was very annoying that every bad person and good guy kept revealing their hand of cards each time they thought they had succeeded only to have the rug pulled out from beneath their feet.
Esther
Jul 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Librivox audio edition
I love Edgar Wallace, his fantastical plots and predictable but passionate heroes.They are great to listen to while I'm at work weaving. I had listened to all of the canon on Librivox and I'm glad to see they have added a few more.
This book has a great "McGuffin" of the green rust that will destroy all the corn crops of the world, throwing economies into chaos, almost like a Dr No or other James Bond villian.
The book is dated with a strong anti-German bias.
Neil
Mar 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What looks at first like it is going to a fairly straightforward murder mystery, opens up into story of biological terrorism with a plot to destroy the world's grain harvest, with a dastardly German (it's an Edgar Wallace book, of course the German's dastardly) behind it all. Wallace is better a the set up than seeing the narrative trough, but still it's a nice Edgar Wallace yarn, one of his best.
Abbie
Sep 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to a great audio recording from Librivox. The Green Rust kept me entertained while I weeded the garden and harvested vegetables. I enjoyed the adventures very much. I am compelled to listen to more audio books by this very prolific author. Thank you again Librivox and the iPod Shuffle for all you do to enliven my daily activities and chores.
Julie Davis
I'm a big fan of Edgar Wallace who at one time was one of the most popular British mystery writers. This is not one of his best although it was enjoyable enough. I'd give it 2-1/2 stars probably but it was more dated than many of his books, most notably with the strong anti-Hun bias, and that made me round it down.
Judy
Apr 12, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hmmm! I like this one but not as much as his others. A tale of national terrorism, written some time after WW1, but it seemed too farfetched to me. It was a free Kindle download and I really liked all the others by Wallace that I have read. This one just didn't appeal as much. I can recommend the others without restraint; I don't think I will recommend this one.

Marts  (Thinker)
Dec 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
This classic adventure was definitely exciting... A doctor's sick scheme must be put to an end before its repercussions and reciprocations cause havoc around the world. But then there's the young detective, a young woman, a fortune, secret laboratories, poison, some gun play, hostages, and the list goes on...
Amber
A.L. Burt, 1920
Courtney Cox
Too many words, not enough story.
Sondie
Dec 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
absolutely loved the mystery element.
Stephanie
Apr 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
a fun but predictable read.
Manjuu PriyaKK
I was fascinated by this book from the first sight.
Jason Hyde
Thrilling stuff, surprisingly witty, vehemently anti-German, which is odd when you consider that Wallace's most lasting popularity has been in Germany.
Tasha
That ending went on for a long time.
Karen
Dec 16, 2012
Charlotte
Nov 21, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Claw Back (Louis Kincaid, #10.5)
  • Return of the Assassin (Assassin, #3)
  • The Agony Column
  • Inspector Zhang Gets His Wish
  • The Market Square (The Caxley Chronicles, #1)
  • Lucy Maud Montgomery Short Stories: 1907-1908
  • The Amazing Interlude
  • Arsène Lupin
  • The Duchess of Padua
  • Das Käthchen von Heilbronn
  • The Dragon's Teeth (Ellery Queen Detective, #15)
  • Red Ted and the Lost Things
  • Vortex (Code Red, #4)
  • Charity Ends at Home (Flaxborough Chronicles, #5)
  • Mystery of Orcival (Monsieur Lecoq #2)
  • The Slaughtered Virgin of Zenopolis (Inspector Capstan #1)
  • A Cape May Diamond
Richard Horatio Edgar Wallace (1875-1932) was a prolific British crime writer, journalist and playwright, who wrote 175 novels, 24 plays, and countless articles in newspapers and journals.

Over 160 films have been made of his novels, more than any other author. In the 1920s, one of Wallace's publishers claimed that a quarter of all books read in England were written by him.

He is most famous today a
“don't know whether there's a law that stops my doing this, Jim; but if there is, you've got to get round it. You're a lawyer and you know the game. You're my pal and the best pal I've had, Jim, and you'll do it for me." The dying man looked” 2 likes