Start by marking “The Crossing” as Want to Read:
The Crossing

The Crossing

This is an historical fiction novel. Many real characters of history are included, as well as fictitious ones. The saga takes place in the period slightly before the American Revolution, and extends for some years after that war. It covers the first movement of southern colonists, over the mountains, into Kentucky, then into the lands that would become Ohio, Indiana, and I ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1904)

To ask other readers questions about The Crossing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Crossing

Start your review of The Crossing
Christy
Feb 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who knew there were two Winston Churchills? There was the British statesman we’re all familiar with, but there was am American author who was, in his time, more widely known. He authored four novels, all of them best-sellers. In The Crossing, the main character is young David Ritchie, sort of a David Copperfield of the American frontier. He helps the woodsmen fight the Indians, and later on, the British, since the Revolutionary war is in progress. He’s the hero of every skirmish, but we don’t re ...more
Stephanie Carr
What a fascinating read. I didn't expect to enjoy it or read it as fast as I did, honestly. So a nice pleasant surprise.

(Anytime that French showed up though I had to cry at how little I know lol)
CJ Harden
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating courage

I've seldom found a book that so captured my imagination that I could barely put it down. The story of a young boy with principle & grit is compelling but to know his struggles were real made it captivating. The history of our nation was so well written I experienced the fear & the joyful exuberance of p!ain mountain folk. History comes alive through the eyes of first the boy, then the teen & finally the man. What a surprise to enjoy American wilderness in the writings of Wins
Mollie Maclean
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It helped me understand the early 1800s and the development of the area from Charleston, SC, through Kentucky, and around the Ohio River Valley. The author illuminated the close connection with the Mississippi River and New Orleans. I got a look into reading historical fiction in the early 1900s when there was more time to read and imagine.
G Thomas
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing narrative

If you enjoy historical fiction immersed in actual events, do not overlook The Crossing. The birth of a nation, replete with success and failure, is told in a narrative that often reads like poetry.
Scott T Tracey
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding book

I have admired Mr. Churchill from a historical perspective. After reading this book, my admiration has taken on a deeper meaning. Wonderful book.
Larry Piper
Jun 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a historical novel by Winston Churchill, the guy born in St. Louis and who lived in Cornish, NH, not to be confused with Sir Winston S. Churchill, the former British Prime Minister. The Cornish Churchill was a popular author around the turn of the 20th century. He wrote a number of historical novels, and then some which probed social problems. He's a quite good author and the three of his books that I have read are all engaging.

This book deals with the time around the time of the Revolu
Cassie Young
Jul 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A month ago, I thought that Winston Churchill's literary capacity was composed of his impressive speaches, and his most popular work 'History of the English Speaking Peoples'. I had no idea, then, that the great statesman was also a great author. The Crossing is a novel, set before, during, and after the War of American Independance, and follows the life and travels of a very unique young man. It is written in the first person, to make you feel an empathy for the hero. Previous to reading this ...more
L.  (Thou Art An Artless Greasy Tallow-Catch)
Set during the late 1700's, this is the story of David Richie: orphan, drummer boy, pre-teen murderer and desecrator of corpses, miller and lawyer. As usual with a Churchill, fictional Davy gets to rub elbows with all sorts of real historical figures. Whether he's feeding Daniel Boone, wrestling with young Andrew Jackson, marching with George Rogers Clark or traipsing around my own neck of the woods with John Sevier.

*I feel the need to warn potential future readers to keep in mind Winston Church
John Spencer
This fascinating tale of an orphan boy who grows up in frontier Kentucky sheds light on some forgotten aspects of early American history. The main character/narrator, Davy, recounts his travels with George Rogers Clark, who assembled a volunteer army to seize British outposts north of the Ohio River during the American Revolution.
If you are looking for a good old-fashioned historical epic that has just the right combination of adventure, romance, intrigue, and realism, you will enjoy The Crossin
Danae
May 06, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
First of all, this is Winston Churchill, the American author, not the British prime minister. I didn't know that when i picked this book up. Haha.

Anyway, i think i'd describe it as Jane Eyre for boys. Orphan is treated cruelly by his only family, then heads off to make his own way in the world. I thought it was alright, but not one i'll read again.
Nathaniel
May 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First off this is not Sir Winston Churchill the British statesman, but rather the American author. This book is a historical fiction set in the pre-revolutionary war era forward to the Louisiana purchase. I do not normally go for this type of novel, but I give it 5 of 5. I definitely recommend this books.
Mary Chambers
Jul 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic story of history. From the American Revolution to the Louisiana Purchase it gives a romantic and historic view of the United States. I definitely recommend it to fellow historical fiction lovers.
Liz Cowans
Sep 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Churchill is a wonderful author. And me being from Kentucky, it was interesting to see a history from his perspective.
Nancy
Wrong Winston, but it was ok.
Glady Shiela
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I love the smell of old paper!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Karalee
This is a fictional book based on the history of Kentucky and their part in the war with Britian. It's a good book but it drags and I find myself skipping paragraphs.
Rolf Forrester
Sep 24, 2015
Apteryx
Jul 04, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Fall of the Dragon Prince (Forgotten Heirs Trilogy, #1)
  • The Black Death: A History From Beginning to End
  • Winston Churchill: A Captivating Guide to the Life of Winston S. Churchill
  • Fiber Fueled: The Plant-Based Gut Health Program for Losing Weight, Restoring Your Health, and Optimizing Your Microbiome
  • Aunt Jo's Scrap-Bag (Aunt Jo's Scrap Bag, #1)
  • Crochet Patterns for Every Season: 17 DIY Accessories + Crochet Clothing Patterns
  • Man Crafts: 10 Free Patterns to Crochet for Men
  • We're All Damaged
  • An Ideal Husband
  • This Side of Paradise
  • The Killers
  • Chickens, Mules and Two Old Fools: Tuck into a Slice of Andalucían Life (Old Fools, #1)
  • The Birth of Britain (A History of the English Speaking Peoples, #1)
This is not the British Prime Minister, Sir Winston Spencer Churchill. This is the American novelist, Winston Churchill.

Churchill was born in St. Louis, Missouri, the son of Edward Spalding and Emma Bell (Blaine) Churchill. He attended Smith Academy in Missouri and the United States Naval Academy, where he graduated in 1894 and became an editor of the Army and Navy Journal. He resigned from th