Start by marking “The Howling Stones (Humanx Commonwealth, #16)” as Want to Read:
The Howling Stones (Humanx Commonwealth, #16)

The Howling Stones (Humanx Commonwealth #16)

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  651 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
The newly discovered planet of Senisran was a veritable paradise. Its vast oceans were dotted with thousands of lush islands containing vast deposits of rare-earths and minerals. But Senisran was also the Humanx Commonwealth's problem child, for each island was inhabited by a different tribe of aboriginal natives whose customs and tribal rites varied from island to island. ...more
Published January 28th 1997 by Del Rey

To ask other readers questions about The Howling Stones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Howling Stones

Paul
Jul 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alan Dean Foster is back in xenozoologist mode again with this instalment of the Humanx Commonwealth series and there really is nothing he does better than dream up new species of alien and make them all interact seamlessly in his wonderfully imagined ecosystems.

This book also made this terminal daydreamer drool with its peek behind the curtain of accepted reality. I love to ponder the imponderables of reality, letting my curious mind wander around the possibilities of existence... Parallel univ
Mary JL
Nov 26, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Any Science Fiction fan
Recommended to Mary JL by: I am a fan of this author
Shelves: main-sf-fantasy
This story begins with the arrival of Pulickel Tomochelor on the planet Senisran. "Pu'il"--as the natives call him is a contact specialist and he is bound and determined to get a treaty with the Parmaratti tribe.

This is a common theme in SF--the "primitive" aliens turn out to be not what they seem. After a slow start, Foster handles the story quite well. The ending was different from his usual style, and was interesting.

This is not a slam-bang, shott-em up , fast paced novel. What it IS is an ex
Gary
Sep 28, 2013 rated it did not like it
from the beginning of the book
Pulickel Tomochelor "was, in short, that most valued of all commodities in both business and government: the reliable employee without a personal agenda."
"Where Pulickel shone was in his ability to understand alien cultures and an alien point of view."

So I read the first third of the book excited to see how Pulickel demonstrates his delicate touch with first person contact.

He is personally insecure, impatient, inflexible, demanding...
He is facile with language and a
Tim Martin
Aug 30, 2012 rated it liked it
_The Howling Stones_ by Alan Dean Foster is a novel set in his Humanx Commonwealth universe, the setting of such earlier works as _The Icerigger Trilogy_ and _Cachalot_ and more recent efforts such as _Drowning World_. An enjoyable novel and a fast read it is similar to other books in the series, depicting exploration and adventure on alien worlds within the Commonwealth, worlds generally with distinct endemic sentient alien species.

The world of this novel is known as Senisran, a largely ocean p
Kylie
May 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
I'm a fan of Foster and have read around 50 of his novels. This one had a few problems that are uncharacteristic for him.

First, the novel has some definite pacing issues. The introduction phase seemed to take about 70 pages, which is considerable for a relatively short novel. Very little happened in the first 100 pages, and there was a lull around the 200 mark. Again, for a 320 page novel (give or take), I found the pacing to be an issue. If it hadn't been a foster book, I would have quit aroun
Conan Tigard
Nov 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let me just start off by saying that I have always liked Alan Dean Foster as a writer. So, it came to no surprise to me that I enjoyed this book. Sure…it was a little slow in the beginning, but the native alien species make up for it. I really liked them. In fact, I found myself rooting for them and hoping that they would somehow turn down the treaty that would let the Humanx Commonwealth mine their beautiful islands. It is also nice to read about those slippery ol’ AAnn again.

The story moves a
Stuart Gathman
May 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Heh, I am only half way through. But I wanted to comment about this difficult juncture in the story. The protagonist is SO STUPID! It is totally realistic, however. I have seen people use the same rationalizations to justify doing what they know is wrong. But they pretend not to know it is wrong, because those feelings are old fashioned, superstitious, or otherwise not "modern" and "scientific". Anyway, I am having trouble getting past these few pages. It is so painful to read!
Mike S
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction-sci-fi
I really enjoyed this story, it was so vivid in my imagination that when I thought back on the story while not reading it, it was like I was remembering a movie I'd watched. This story was so good it would make a great movie, very similar in feeling to Avatar. I've read maybe 8 or 10 books by Foster, this is one of his best.
Leland Gilsen
Dec 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Foster must have a strange fixation... another super model female lead... this time Fawn Seaforth! Must have fantasies about his females. Another story ending in infinite incorporeal evil threatening the multiverse.
Clyde Ruth
good, not my favorite of his, but interesting
colleen
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Awesome!
Daniel
May 11, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was good, it was just hard to get into the story. However nice tie in with the Pip and Flinx stories.
DaNela
Jul 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Pip & Flinx adventure story #9
*BIO*
Shirley
Jan 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Excellent depiction of aliens and alien cultures, evocative and very enjoyable
Ron Ball
Tony
Sep 19, 2012
Kfrank
Apr 10, 2010
  • David Falkayn: Star Trader (Technic Civilization 2)
  • The War With Earth (New Kashubia, #2)
  • Stronghold Rising (Sholan Alliance, #6)
  • Phule Me Twice (Phule's Company, #4)
  • Janus (Janus, #1-2)
  • Grimmer Than Hell
  • Lazarus Rising (Starfist, #9)
  • The Hub: Dangerous Territory (The Hub)
  • Privateer (The Flight Engineer, #2)
  • Skyfall (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #9)
  • The Giants Novels (Giants, #1-3)
  • The Forlorn
  • Changer of Worlds (Worlds of Honor, #3)
  • Pandora's Legions
  • The Creatures of Man
Bestselling science fiction writer Alan Dean Foster was born in New York City in 1946, but raised mainly in California. He received a B.A. in Political Science from UCLA in 1968, and a M.F.A. in 1969. Foster lives in Arizona with his wife, but he enjoys traveling because it gives him opportunities to meet new people and explore new places and cultures. This interest is carried over to his writing, ...more
More about Alan Dean Foster...

Humanx Commonwealth (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • The Tar-Aiym Krang (Pip & Flinx #1)
  • Bloodhype (Pip & Flinx #2)
  • Icerigger (Icerigger, #1)
  • Midworld (Humanx Commonwealth, #4)
  • Orphan Star (Pip & Flinx #3)
  • The End of the Matter (Pip & Flinx #4)
  • Mission to Moulokin (Icerigger, #2)
  • Cachalot (Humanx Commonwealth, #8)
  • Nor Crystal Tears (Humanx Commonwealth, #9)
  • For Love of Mother-Not (Pip & Flinx #5)