Start by marking “Courting Ruth (Hannah's Daughters)” as Want to Read:
Courting Ruth (Hannah's Daughters)

Courting Ruth (Hannah's Daughters #1)

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  605 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews

Amish widow Hannah Yoder prays her daughters will each find a husband someday. Still, sensible Ruth believes it's God's will that she stay home and help care for her younger sisters. But when a handsome young man comes to Kent County, Ruth starts to rethink her plans. Not yet part of the church, Eli Lapp is allowed to run wild. Yet something in Ruth's sweet smile and gentl
Kindle Edition
Published (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Courting Ruth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Courting Ruth

AnnMarie
Courting Ruth was my follow up read to Monster In His Eyes. I always need a soul soothing story after a emotionally intense story.

The Hannah's Daughters series was exactly what I needed.

Sweet, clean, pure romance with no over the top drama, triangles, or shenanigans.

Delightful is the word that always pops in my head when I am reading these sweet stories.

Will be moving on to book 2 after my next traumatic read!
⚜Trea⚜
This book was fairly good overall, but the ending just didn't gel for me. It felt a bit too rushed for my tastes, and suffers from a lot of miscommunication. I enjoyed meeting the entire family and liked how Ruth cared for her younger sisters. I am interested to see where the series goes as a whole, so I've went ahead and purchased the sequel to this book, as I am hoping for it to get better!
Anne
Jul 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This will be my first of many Emmma Miller books. I loved the story and can't wait to start the next in the series. The women in this series are strong yet very loving. Not your typical Amish family. A strong mother raising her daughters on her oen and each had their own special strengths.
Jeanne
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I, always, like a good romance story and, especially, ones without all the foul language and graphic sex scenes. This one fits the bill quite nicely. It's an interesting look into the Amish community. A very nice read!
Diana McVicker
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good, sweet read. Love her books. Highly recommend this book
Michelle
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
excellent read
Arlene
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'll look forward to reading more books in this series.
Barbara
Nov 06, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, amish
Ruth Yoder, a member of the Seven Poplars community in Delaware, says she'll never marry -- she will take care of her widowed mother, Hannah, and her younger sister, Susanna, who has Down syndrome. Then she's swept off her feet, in more ways than one, by bad boy Eli Lapp, from Belleville, who's rumspringa.

What's Ruth to think of this wild, motor scooter driving, handsome young man who hasn't joined the church and are the rumors of his unsavory past true? What drives Eli to believe that he isn't
D.J.
Dec 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews

Emma does a superb job making her characters so true-to-life. As I read, I felt like I knew Ruth and her family. I got a very clear picture in my head of how they looked, talked, dressed, and the way they took care of one another.

Ruth and Eli will entertain you... they are so funny. Eli chases and Ruth runs! Although she is attracted to him, she doesn't feel that she can trust her heart to him. But Emma does such as wonderful job of drawing them towards each other, you just know it's all going t
Bonnie
May 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians, People interested in Amish culture
Shelves: read-again-again
Love this book. It's from the Love Inspired series and even though I'm not very religious, I still enjoy it because it focuses more on the story than preaching to the reader. Overall, the book is a great read, even though it is not very long. I recommend this for anyone who enjoys Christian novels and even those who, like me, are not very religious but enjoy a glimpse into another world (Amish).

Ruth Yoder is a well-behaved "proper" Plain young woman who is more content with staying home with her
Carmen
Oct 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: amish
I love the enchanting Amish community Emma Miller has created with Hannah's daughters. I started reading this series out of sequence and missed Ruth's story. I'm glad I back tracked and read this one too.

"When I find a boy I want to be with, I'll let him hold my hand. I might even let him kiss me. Once. After he asks me to be his wife, when I know he is serious. But before I gave him my answer." She looked at Ruth with great sincerity on her pretty face. "What if he's a bad kisser? Would you wan
Shari Larsen
Feb 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Hannah Yoder is an Amish widow who prays that each of her daughters will find a husband someday, but Ruth believes it's God's will that she stay home to help her mother, especially with the care of her youngest sister who has Down's Sydnrome. But when Eli Lapp comes to Kent County, she starts to rethink her plans. Eli is not yet part of the church and had a reputation in his former community, but Ruth doesn't believe all of that is true, yet she has a few doubts.

This book is the first in a serie
Jane
Courting Ruth presented a picture of what it meant to live Plain and the conflict young people of the Amish faith face when they are exploring the world and deciding to keep the faith as a member of the Amish Church.

Eli Lapp, a young man from Pennsylvania is visiting his Uncle Ruben and working with him in his cabinet shop when he meets Ruth Jacob. Ruth has joined the Amish Church and knows she can only make a life with a man who will join her in her faith and live Plain. Eli Lapp is considered
Rachel Brand
I ended up completely adoring this book, all of the characters were unique and realistic and I'm fairly certain I was grinning my head off when I finished reading it today on the bus. A simple plot for the people who live the simple life, but not entirely predictable. Ruth seemed a bit young for her age in places and some problems could have been resolved with a conversation, but I did love the setting, the family and all of the secondary characters. Definitely going to be reading the other book ...more
Darlene Roy
Nice story - I enjoy Emma Miller's style of writing and the Hannah's Daughters series. Ruth has a hard time chosing between staying at home to help her mother or having a life of her own. I like the characters and you become part of the family as you read the story. Just wish I could sit down to one of the family meals with all the good Amish cooking that is described. I reccomend this as a good read.
Cheryl
Jan 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is the 3rd in the Amish mystery series. A girl that left the Amish comes back and is found dead in a local quarry. Rachel and her cousin have to find out who killed her and why before other girls who have left the Amish are killed. Rachel had been Amish and left, she nows runs a B&B in Amish country and has a police detective boyfriend.
Janice Aitkens
Jul 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read on the Kindle

This is the 1st in a series I really enjoyed this i read this in a day

It was well written & a good story will look forward to reading the rest of the series
i can recommend this book & i am sure if you read this you will want to read the series
April Suter
Aug 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hannah's Daughters #1 Ruth thinks her duty is to stay home and help her widowed mother and handicapped sister, Susanna. But a handsome wild boy from another district is attracted to her.
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: Hannah's Daughters
Marg
Jul 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book
Debra
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this was a good book too .
Mara
Jul 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a beautiful story of learning to love yourself and letting God take over our lives. A story of choice that showed how following ones heart can lead to love.
Richard L.
Very good book.

I enjoyed this story very much. The story line is interesting. I have read some other books about the Amish.
Carolyn E
Jan 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed it. I am now reading the entire series; just finished the third book, Anna's Gift.
Jenny
Oct 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good Amish story. There is a series of these called Hannah's daughters. I hope to read more of them.
PWRL
May 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute book! :-)
Louise E.
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book #1 of 8......Very good story. Can't wait to read the rest of the series.
  • Abigail's New Hope (Wayne County, #1)
  • Patchwork Dreams (Amish of Seymour County, #1)
  • Treasuring Emma (Middlefield Family, #1)
  • Beside Still Waters (The Big Sky Series, #1)
  • Sarah's Garden (Patch of Heaven, #1)
  • The Wounded Heart (Amish Quilt, #1)
  • Plain Jayne (Plain and Simple, #1)
  • A Wedding Quilt for Ella (Little Valley, #1)
  • Katie's Redemption (Brides of Amish Country, #1)
  • Winter's Awakening (Seasons of Sugarcreek, #1)
  • An Amish Love
  • A Plain and Simple Christmas
  • The Promise of an Angel (Heaven On Earth, #1)
  • Lydia's Charm
  • Leah's Choice (Pleasant Valley, #1)

Hannah's Daughters (8 books)
  • Miriam's Heart (Hannah's Daughters, #2)
  • Anna's Gift (Hannah's Daughters, #3)
  • Leah's Choice (Hannah's Daughters, #4)
  • Redeeming Grace (Hannah's Daughters, #5)
  • Johanna's Bridegroom (Hannah's Daughters, #6)
  • Rebecca's Christmas Gift
  • Hannah's Courtship (Hannah's Daughters #8)