Start by marking “Aliens” as Want to Read:
Aliens

Aliens

(Alien Movie Novelizations #2)

Having survived one encounter with an alien, Ripley is persuaded to return to the planet where her crew found the alien ship. A colony has been established there, but suddenly all contact with the settlers has been lost. Accompanied by marines, Ripley is going to find out why.
Published March 1st 1991 (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Aliens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aliens

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
If this has been an original novel, and the movie came from it, then it would have been a five star easy. Since it's a novelization of an existing movie that's superior, it gets a three star rating for different reasons.

First, the story most of us know and love is great written down. Reading it, I envisioned the actors in their roles, the score powerfully pushing through the action and run scenes, the beautiful, uncomfortable design of the ship and aliens. Written down it lost a little impact, e
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣

The second movie is my least favorite out of the Alien franchise. And the novelization goes along with it.

description

Ripley is rescued after the events in the previous book, and nobody believes her story (or if they do, they do their best to discredit her). Moreover, LV-426, the planet on which Ripley's crew found the aliens on, is being colonized. When Earth loses contact with LV-426, they send her together with the Marines to find out what happened, only for her to face her nightmarish creatures
Tosh
Jan 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Is this going to be a stand-up fight, sir, or another bug-hunt?

Not as good as the movie, though it stayed very close to the script. Some of the dialogues were more lengthy, a few scenes were added, and the foul language was cut out. Also, missing Bishop's knife trick, and didn't quite capture Hudson's charming personality.
Hollowman
Mar 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Read this one few weeks before seeing the film ... in '86. Foster says it's his fave write of the three he did for the trilogy. Probably agree ... he had gotten good experience and momentum from his 70s/early 80s projects ... so was in the sweet-spot/golden-age of his career.

Clear, no-bullshit, super-fluid writing style--not dragged out or over-long ... can be read in a few hours. But not dumbed down for the movie-only crowd.

It has some of Cameron's Director Cut version scenes. Shares Cameron's
Jakk Makk
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really good audiobook. I'm guessing Foster liked Dante's hellacious scenes.
Wendy
Aliens is one of my favourite movies so this book had a lot to live up to, with the potential to utterly fail me. As you can see from those five stars, it did just fiiiine. I'm trying to read more novelizations, which means Alan Dean Foster is going to appear often on my list. I should never have doubted him. He is skilled at capturing every element that makes me love the movies, with the added bonus of the inner monologues and varied perspectives that this format grants. My only complaint stems ...more
Anjali
Mar 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
I've been a fan of the Alien series of films for a long time, though this is the first time I've read a book based on the series.

I enjoyed reading this book because it does something that I find most tie-in books do - it added something extra to the story with little snippets of information that wasn't in the film.

However, I knocked a star off my rating for two reasons:

1. I found the sanitisation of the language - the removal of the swearing - particularly grating; especially the removal of 'b**
Jim Lay
A serviceable novelization of the screenplay but with little else to offer. And for whatever reason, all profanity was removed from the dialogue, which made it feel kind of sanitized and weak. This was most evident in the climax with Ripley's famous line "Get away from her, you bitch!" Somehow changing that to "Get away from her, you!" comes across as weak sauce.
Andrew
Sep 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Back in the 80s and 90s it seemed that so many films were being turned in to novelisations - sometimes to my amusement even when they started out as books themselves - (for example Piers Anthony's Total Recall retelling the Philip K Dick short story). And it seems that Mr Alan Dean Foster was at the forefront of that moment. Now at the time I used to think that he was just mercilessly cashing in on the fame of the film to sell the book - and not very good books at that.

Okay as in so many times I
Jules G
I don't remember the first time I read this book or when I purchased it, but it's one of those novels that you hold onto from childhood and the teenage years. The cover is lost along with the summary page, but it still retains the title page. Like a worn stuffed animal, the tattered and well-read remains will never come off my shelf. If you have a similar book on your shelf, perhaps you'll understand my review is a bit sentimental.

I saw the movie when I was a kid. Of course, it was edited and on
Graham
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
David
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Different enough from the movie to be enjoyable in its own right. Perhaps a little better than I remember the movie being.
Andrea
Aliens is my favourite movie. The series itself is what I think of as 'accidentally feminist' (the role of Ripley was written for a man) and when Alien proved a success, the script for a main female character immediately took us to a motherhood plot.

But still, I really like this movie, and when someone mentioned this novelisation, written from an early draft of the script, I couldn't resist.

Hard to imagine I'd be spoiling anyone here, but if you somehow haven't yet seen Aliens, stop reading, go
Flint
Jul 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I can't highly recommend this book enough for those of you who can't get enough of the 1986 movie. The novelization contains all sorts of goodies like extra dialogue, alternate scenes (ie. Burke cocooned) and extended scenes, as well as an overall better insight into some of the characters and better explanations for various little things which was skimmed over in the film, especially why Newt is able to navigate the air ducts so expertly or why she calls Riply, "mommy" at the end. This is basic ...more
Nicola
Jun 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dieser Teil der Buch-Trilogie hat mir besser gefallen, was auch daran liegt, dass die Voraussetzungen einer Buchumsetzung einfacher waren, als noch bei Alien. Trotzdem kommt auch dieses Buch bei weitem nicht an die filmische Vorlage heran, als Lustmacher auf den Film und als Lesestoff für nebenbei taugt es aber allemal.
Stephen
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite of the Alien novelizations or novels. What can I say? I like the Colonial Marines. Ripley returns to LV-426 to help check out the situation there. The situation is bad. Aliens have killed the colonists, the colony crawls with them, and the Company Rep is a sleeze looking to make a buck on weapons research. And we're off again.
Linda
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this is going to be my favourite! I loved Aliens as a film because of the introduction of mother Queen! and Newt of course. a film ahead of its time. The book was an enjoyment to read. film to book can be tricky but Alan Dean Foster is great at it!
Louisa Heaton
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very good! Interesting to see which dialogue was kept by the film and which stayed in the book. Which parts were expanded on, andthose that were left out. Gripping story!
Zazzu
Mar 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
Good enough writing that it manages to survive being translated from being a movie. It still pisses me off that Newt and Hicks died in their sleep like bitches, so I'm going to stop reading this series here because in my universe, Ripley, Hicks and Newt make it back to Earth to form a happy if damn traumatized little family....
Patrick Kozlowski
Dec 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The book I read was Aliens by Alan Dean Foster. This novel was a moderate size, 247 pages. This is a sequel to the original book Alien. It follows after the events of the first book. The character, Ellen Ripley ends up going back to the unknown planet from the first book for multiple reasons. This was a great sequel that surpassed the first book.
The book had a good variety of characters, so you couldn’t forget them throughout the storyline. You have the marines who each have their own personalit
D.L. Denham
Jul 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Novelizations of movies are often jutted to the back of the bookshelf after one reading. Reviewers are critical, normally arguing that it is just an attempt to make money off a popular film franchise, and at times they do so justly. Yet, some novelizations often tell the story in a way film simply cannot commute: taking the reader into the minds of the characters. And for this, Alan Dean Foster is a force to be reckoned with. Written originally in 1986, Foster respectfully adds to the Alien univ ...more
Glen
Aug 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Reading this book brought back vivid memories of my first viewing in a run down theatre in Waterton Lake Alberta with my cousin Spencer Todd. I was young then and scared shitless of James Cameron's masterpiece that would become one of my most beloved scifi epics eclipsing even the likes of Star Wars and Star Trek.
The concept of the Colonial Marines always struck a cord with me and still does, Foster's adaptation is well done adding the full story to the novel which was not seen i theaters which
Rob Damon
Jan 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
When I saw this book in a local bookshop back in the early months of 1986 I had no idea a new film had been made so I snatched it up and read it straight away.

As I had only seen the first film and knew how creepy it was I took all of that into this book. The experience of reading this before seeing the action epic James Cameron put on screen made me imagine a more creepy film. I kept wondering how on Earth they were going to pull it off. As it turned out, although I have come to appreciate the f
Anadyr21
Jun 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
If you've seen the movie, you already know it's a great story. Generally, books are much better, and offer more insight, than the movie that it's adapted from. This book might be an exception, only because the extended edition of the movie adds the stuff that's already in the books.

As a whole, it does offer a bit more on each Marine, who in the movie, we barely catch their name. I actually wish the author would have gone more overboard into each character, though, I understand that it would have
Eya
May 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
As hard as it is to believe, I've just finished reading this book in English for the first time. Don't get me wrong, I read it for the first time more than twenty years ago but that was a translated edition. I've been reading books in English for about the same number of years but never found my way back to this one until now.

And guess what, it's still as good as it was all those years ago. Until this book, I was growing up on a diet of classics and local literature, pretty much the only stuff
Kain
Jul 08, 2014 rated it liked it
I'm a huge fan of the Aliens franchise and despite having watched the movie often enough to quote the script verbatim, I picked this novel up to give it a read. While it remains fairly faithful to the movie and expands upon some interesting points, the author's apparent aversion to swear words made many of the iconic lines from the movie fall flat and left me far less thrilled than the cinematic version.
Binny Bond
Oct 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Again a book based on a movie just doesn't have the depth that an original novel has. That said, I thoroughly enjoyed this book and found it most gripping in all the right places.
They messed up Ripley's "Get away from her you bitch" line.
Also the Alien descriptions were a little thin. You need to have seen the movie.
Erik
May 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
Decent adaptation of a classic film. It's based off an early script, so there a few differences to the final original cut of the film. Some of these scenes were filmed but not included, others played out differently. Doesn't capture the action and suspense nearly as well as the movie does. I've never read a book based off a film that was as good as actually watching it.
Timothy Boyd
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Alan Dean Foster is one of my top 5 favorite writers. He does an excellent job of adapting the screen play into a great SiFi story. The tons of little details he adds really make you feel like you are getting the backstory on things. Very recommended
Stu Campbell
Jun 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
What do I say.....read this to shreds growing up, bought the ebook for 6 bucks, still love it. If you like the movie, you'll like this
new radio show Alien Chronicles:Fact or Fiction 1 5 Apr 03, 2013 09:28PM
scary? 2 8 Nov 03, 2012 03:13AM
  • Alien Resurrection
  • Aliens: Earth Hive
  • Aliens: Genocide (Aliens)
  • Total Recall
  • Aliens vs. Predator: War (Aliens Vs. Predator, # 3)
  • Aliens: Steel Egg
  • Aliens: Music of the Spears (Aliens)
  • The Terminator (Terminator Movie Novelisation, #1)
  • Predator: Incursion (The Rage War #1)
  • First Contact (Star Trek: TNG: Movie Novelizations #2)
  • Alien: Sea of Sorrows (Canonical Alien trilogy, #2)
  • Aliens: Alien Harvest
  • Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #3)
  • Alien: River of Pain (Canonical Alien trilogy, #3)
  • Star Trek: The Next Generation Technical Manual
  • Aliens: Rogue (Aliens)
Bestselling science fiction writer Alan Dean Foster was born in New York City in 1946, but raised mainly in California. He received a B.A. in Political Science from UCLA in 1968, and a M.F.A. in 1969. Foster lives in Arizona with his wife, but he enjoys traveling because it gives him opportunities to meet new people and explore new places and cultures. This interest is carried over to his writing, ...more

Alien Movie Novelizations (5 books)
  • Alien
  • Alien³
  • Alien Resurrection
  • Alien: Covenant - The Official Movie Novelization
“Nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure." (Ellen Ripley)” 4 likes
“You always think you can make it up to somebody—later, you know.’ She took a deep breath. ‘But now I never can. I never can.” 1 likes