Jump to ratings and reviews

Flesh and Bone: Rise of the Necromancers

Twenty-one dark short stories about the undead, and the persons who raise them... Featuring: The Blade of Tears by Lydia Sharp, No Man's Land by K.G. McAbee, Wrists by Shennandoah Diaz, All the World a Grave by Michael McClung, Blood on the Beach by Anne Michaud, The Scarlet Cat by Rebecca Lloyd, The Mortician's Secret by Kelley Frank, The King's Accord by Alan Baxter, Necrodance by Darin Kennedy, The Ghost Walk by Marianne Halbert, Blood Brothers by J. Matthew Saunders, Bequest by Greg Mellor, 9 Mystery Rose by Eden Royce, In the Dark Kingdom by Brandon Berntson, Jenna's Awakening by TW Brown, Queen of Bones by Aubrie Dionne, Small Matters of Immortality by Michael R. Colangelo, The Stoner Bride by Matthew Fryer, Sedenberry's Pest by Jon C. Forisha, A History of the Wraith King by Chris Poling & And the Greatest of these is Love by David McDonald.

300 pages, Paperback

First published August 16, 2010

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Jessy Marie Roberts

49 books13 followers
Jessy Marie Roberts lives in a "haunted" house in Western Nebraska with her husband and their two dogs, Tucker and Snags. She grew up in Morgan Hill, California. Visit her online at jessymarieroberts.weebly.com.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
0 (0%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 6 of 6 reviews
Profile Image for Michael McClung.
Author 31 books352 followers
August 22, 2011
As I am a contributing aouthor to this anthology, I'll just briefly say that there are some fine and spooky stories here. If you like stories about the undead, this anthology is for you :)
Profile Image for Horror DNA.
1,021 reviews83 followers
December 19, 2019
If you were to ask me my top favorite genres to read are, I honestly don't know where I'd place "Dark Fantasy". Sure, growing up I read a ton of the more popular fantasy novels like The Lord of the Rings series, Terry Brooks' Shannara series, a lot of Piers Anthony, the Thieves World anthologies, and more. But as I grew older, I found less interest in reading about wizards and dragons and the like. I'm by no means saying fantasy is for kids, laws no. It's just something I slowly lost interest in reading for whatever reason. (Ironically, I still love watching fantasy movies. Go figure.)

So the question becomes when Pill Hill Press asked if I was interested in reviewing their dark fantasy novel  Flesh and Bone: Rise of the Necromancers, why in the hell did I say yes? I had two reasons. The first is Pill Hill Press is a small publisher, and we here at Horror DNA have always prided ourselves in helping out the artist under the mainstream radar. Second, the description given of the book was "Twenty-one dark short stories about the undead, and the persons who raise them from death..." Undead equals zombies. Sold.

You can read Steve's full review at Horror DNA by clicking here.
Profile Image for Tarl.
Author 27 books73 followers
April 25, 2015
It took me a bit to get a copy of this book. I'd wanted to read it for some time now, as it dealt with a section of magic that you don't really find a lot of writers tackling. I mean, Necromancers and people who raise the dead, what more could you want?

Now, before I begin, the description of this book states that it is about the undead and the people who raise them. This is great, except there are a few stories in this anthology that are JUST about the undead and have nothing to do with the people that raise them. This is frustrating, because if you set out to do a specific theme (Necromancers, as per your title), then that should be the theme of your stories. And yet, we have stories just about zombies. Not really why I picked up this anthology...

Now let's look at some of the stories from this collection:

The Blade of Tears by Lydia Sharp - This would be one of those stories where 'those that raise them' was nowhere to been seen. An uninteresting story about one woman's flight from an abusive lover, this story goes all over the place with the protagonist's feelings towards the antagonist, and in the end, I was glad when it was over. One of the weakest stories in this anthology, it was a poor choice to lead the anthology with. (more so because it didn't really fit the title of the collection)

Wrists by Shennandoah Diaz - This was a really well done story with an interesting protagonist, a deliciously bizarre situation, and an ending that left me feeling please with how things turned out. Demon children, so creepy and so perfect for this story. A really good story with a good premise. Very good read all in all.

Blood on the Beach by Anne Michaud - A zombie story from the zombie's POV. The only reference to anyone raising it is the call that keeps pulling the zombie forward. Again, another story that really doesn't fit the title of this anthology, or half the theme. (that of 'those who raise them') Mostly this feels like a generic pov zombie story and actually mirrors a couple stories within this anthology. (And the Greatest of these is Love by David McDonald does the same sort of story, but his contains so much more and succeeds where Michaud's fades to the background) Michaud also repeats herself in this story. Each time the speaker focuses on the things around him, there's always the same imagery, and it gets boring really fast. (Crawling zombies standing out a number of times) This makes it feel like filler text, and takes away the remaining potency of this tale.

The Scarlet Cat by Rebecca Lloyd - This was a good tale about a girl, revenge, and necromancy gone wrong. I really liked this story as it contained a number of good characters with realistic motivation. The bullies are the worst sort, and their fates are wonderfully done. (you feel really bad for the cat, and you want to see the bullies fall and fall hard!) The action is handled extremely well, as is the pacing, which leads to a heart racing chase at the end of the story. All in all, this is a good mix and a wonderful story to read.

Necrodance by Darin Kennedy - Very, very nice twist. I really liked this story, and the way it all plays out sets the perfect mood for what comes at the end. Kennedy did a really good job here and the POV of a killer is handled with the right level of methodical thinking and bloodlust. Really nice story.

The Ghost Walk by Marianne Halbert - Among the other stories in this anthology, this one was unique and because of that uniqueness, it stands out. Well written, Halbert manages to break away from the standard necromancy stereotype and crafts something not only unique, but with the right twists in the right locations. Even though this story wasn't my personal thing, I have nothing but praise for Halbert's tale.

Blood Brothers by J. Matthew Saunders - Saunders nails the characters in this story. About a trio of kids that grew up together, any social outcast will easily relate to the main protagonist in this tale. This story gave me everything I could have wanted and doesn't reveal to much as one reads it. Well written, good pacing, and realistic characters create a story that will stick with you long after you finish it, for a number of reasons.

Bequest by Greg Mellor - This story gives away it's twist ending far too easily, and is another tale that has nothing to do with people raising the dead. The interaction of the mother and her daughter is handled really well, as is the set up for this post disaster world, but in the end things are either too vague and beyond the twist, there's nothing much to this story.

Queen of Bones by Aubrie Dionne - This story didn't end how I expected it to, and I love it even more because of that. Dionne did a fine job with the imagery within this story, and everything stands out beautifully from beginning to end. The world building is superb, with just the right amount given for the size of the story. I would love to see this as a longer work, but as a short story, it works perfectly. Perfectly done.

A History of the Wraith King by Chris Poling - I felt for the alchemist in this story, and Poling did an excellent job making sure I craved the same thing he did by the end of the story. I'm going to remember this tale for a long time, and I am more than happy to. Unlike the other necromancers in this story, Polings gives us an alchemist which I was glad to see, and was an approach that helped to break the monotony of magic related summoning. All in all, this was a good story.

And the Greatest of these is Love by David McDonald - Another POV zombie story, this one has a number of elements that make it stand out. There is a certain level of cliché 'love conquers all', but overall the story was a good read and every other element within it helps to keep the reader engaged.

In the end, Flesh and Bone was an enjoyable anthology, despite the couple stories that seemed to ignore the general theme. There's a high number of really excellent stories in this collection, and any fan of necromancy in a story will enjoy this anthology. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys the darker side of magic in their stories, as well as the undead.
Profile Image for Kelley Frank.
Author 4 books7 followers
April 26, 2019
I'm a contributing author to this anthology, and I'm very proud to appear here. I gave it a reread and it's still a fantastic collection of stories about necromancers -- and I say this as a huge fan of those horror stories where someone resurrects the dead for one reason or another.
Displaying 1 - 6 of 6 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.