Start by marking “House Secrets (Joe DeMarco, #4)” as Want to Read:
House Secrets (Joe DeMarco, #4)

House Secrets (Joe DeMarco #4)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  768 Ratings  ·  76 Reviews
Mike Lawson's previous novels starring Joe DeMarco, fixer for the Speaker of the House, have earned him a loyal following from thriller aficionados and a place among the most talented and captivating thriller writers focusing on the dangerous games of our nation's capital. In House Secrets, DeMarco is sent to investigate the death of a reporter, the son of one of his boss' ...more
Audio CD, 9 pages
Published November 20th 2010 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published July 8th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about House Secrets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about House Secrets

Tim
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While the bad guy got what he deserved in the end, too many lives were damaged or destroyed in the process. 4 of 10 stars
B.R. Stateham
Aug 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First, let me say Mike Lawson is a flawless, smooth writer. You start one of his novels and the pages just speed by you effortlessly. Let me also say that the main character in the novel, Joe DeMarco, is a dichotomy of viewpoints for me. On one hand you kinda like the guy. His job is interesting and he's got an interesting personality. But only up to a point. On the other hand, for a 'fixer' for the Speaker of the House (doing the dirty work for the Speaker of the Hous) the man should have more ...more
TraceyK
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
5 Stars, as usual. I'm always impressed with Mike Lawson's books. That is why I just can not stop reading them one after the other. His stories really give the definition of political thriller.
Joe DeMarco, who has a law degree, but because his father was tied to the mob, he couldn't get a job anywhere. Lucky enough, thanks to old affairs, gets "employed" from the Speaker of the House, John Mahoney. Secretly.
Mahoney sends him out to an old friend whose son has died. He wants DeMarco to look aro
Maddy
Oct 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009-reads
PROTAGONIST: Joe DeMarco
SETTING: Washington, DC
RATING: 4.5
SERIES: # 4 of 4

The Joe DeMarco series are political thrillers with a difference. The protagonist is a lawyer who works in Congress at the will of the Speaker of the House, John Fitzpatrick Mahoney. DeMarco serves as a “fixer”, the person who smooths things over that are about to cause trouble. He doesn’t officially show as reporting to Mahoney; he has some small measure of independence that leaves folks guessing about who is calling the
Chris Degregorio
TWO THINGS I ENJOY OR APPRECIATE
-Even though this book is fiction, it was very realistic and easy to believe that it could happen in real life.
-There weren't any dull moments in this book, it kept the reader engaged.

ONE LITERARY ASPECT
-The book is told from a third person omniscient point of view. This lets the reader piece together parts of the story that the protagonist doesn't yet know.

ONE DRAMATIC ASPECT
-The author describes everything form the setting to the characters in vivid detail. I ca
Matt
Jul 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
I quite enjoyed this book, as the DeMarco series progresses. I am sure that Lawson is coming up with new and exciting ways for Joe to delve into his past and pull out some great adventures.

While Lawson sdoes base his novels on true political evenbts, however vague they may be, he does individualise the entire plot and makes it come to life. I am never sure what waits around the corner and really look forward to things progressing.

I am almost caught up to his book series, but always want more Law
Donna
Feb 21, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
I have enjoyed this series by Mike Lawson (the Joe DeMarco series). He writes solid thriller type books. I love his characters. They are well drawn and they all serve a purpose. I always hate it when the sole purpose of all the other characters is to stroke the ego of the MC and to make the MC look the best thing out there. Thankfully, Mike Lawson doesn't fall into that trap.

He also writes great stories that are creative. I've read a few books in this series and have enjoyed them all.
Ranusia
Mar 23, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun and thought provoking political thriller. Was definetely rooting for
Joe DeMarco. Brought a lot of thoughts on the current political situation. Didn't realize this was part of series by the author. It
would have been nice to work from the first book to the current one. One
can read this one though without having read the others.
Suzanne
This is the first book in the Joe DeMarco series that I have read, and I really enjoyed it! I'm a fan of political thrillers and Lawson does not disappoint. House Rules is multi-layered with interesting characters coming in and out of the story, it wasn't until the very end that it finally came together for me. I love books that keep you guessing!
Terence M
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: will-read-again
Interesting and intriguing political and criminal drama. An enjoyable and easy to finish novel, well narrated by Joe Barrett, with an under-hyped and credible Joe DeMarco as the main protagonist.
Recommended. 4.0 out of 5.0 stars.
  • Private Sector (Sean Drummond, #4)
  • Gone to Her Death (Lloyd & Hill, #3)
  • Empty Ever After (Moe Prager, #5)
  • The Invisible (Ryan Kealey, #3)
  • Red Sky at Night (Thorn, #6)
  • Road Kill (Charlie Fox, #5)
  • Lake Country
  • Rising Phoenix (Mark Beamon, #1)
  • Rosarito Beach (Kay Hamilton, #1)
  • Dirty South (Nick Travers #4)
  • The Amateurs
  • Home of the Braised (A White House Chef Mystery, #7)
  • Inside Passage (Corey Logan Trilogy, #1)
  • Pierced (Henning Juul, #2)
  • Critical Space (Atticus Kodiak, #5)

Pen name: M.A Lawson

Michael Lawson was raised in Pueblo, Colorado and attended college at Seattle University, receiving a degree in engineering. On leaving college he went to work for the US Navy as a nuclear engineer, spending approximately thirty years working for the Nav
More about Mike Lawson...

Joe DeMarco (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Inside Ring (Joe DeMarco, #1)
  • The Second Perimeter (Joe DeMarco, #2)
  • House Rules (Joe DeMarco, #3)
  • House Justice (Joe DeMarco, #5)
  • House Divided (Joe DeMarco, #6)
  • House Blood (Joe DeMarco, #7)
  • House Odds (Joe DeMarco, #8)
  • House Reckoning (Joe DeMarco, #9)
  • House Rivals (Joe DeMarco, #10)
  • House Revenge (Joe DeMarco, #11)