Start by marking “The Darkest Secret (Lords of the Underworld #7)” as Want to Read:
The Darkest Secret (Lords of the Underworld #7)

The Darkest Secret

(Lords of the Underworld #7)

4.32  ·  Rating details ·  26,836 ratings  ·  1,035 reviews
In this sexy new installment of Showalter's bestselling Lords of the Underworld series, the haunted Amun meets a woman who tempts him like no other...

Keeper of the demon of Secrets, Amun can manipulate the darkest thoughts of anyone nearby. But when the immortal warrior is chained and isolated to protect those he loves, death is his only hope of release—until he meets Hai
Published March 29th 2011 by HQN Books (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Darkest Secret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Darkest Secret

·  26,836 ratings  ·  1,035 reviews

Start your review of The Darkest Secret (Lords of the Underworld #7)
Exina
He gave her what no one else had ever been able to give.
A past to cherish.
A present to enjoy.
A future to anticipate.

The Darkest Secret is the seventh installment of the Lords of the Underworld series, the story of Amun, Keeper of Secrets, and Haidee, a Hunter.

Amun can hear everyone’s thoughts and hidden secrets. He has chosen not to speak, because if he releases a single sound, the secrets would escape and it would hurt his friends.

In The Darkest Lie Amun helped Aeron to save Legion from Hell, but during the journey, his demon, the high lord Secrets, absorbedHunter.
stars
Amun and Haidee’s story was one that I read just because back in the time and didn’t make a great impact on me but oh, lord… I was so wrong.

This time it was like reading it with brand new eyes and I loved it. I loved them together, I loved the rest of the characters and I’m so happy I’m re-reading this series.
Sophia Triad
Amun: Demon of Secrets
Butterfly: on his right calf
His curse: Secrets. His demon absorbs the darkest thoughts and deepest mysteries of anyone nearby. Amun is suffering silently from horrific images, nightmares, deepest darkest thoughts, the memories of anyone that approaches him. He can of course use them against his enemies, but the price to pay is much worst.

Haidee: A demon-assassin. A Hunter; One of the Lords’ worst enemies. She was also a Bait to kill Baden centuries ago. Luckily in this seri/>
Shawna
4 stars – Paranormal Romance

I enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would, especially considering that I was somewhat disappointed with the last book, The Darkest Lie, and since Amun has always been a rather quiet (pun intended), serious, and less charismatic Lord. But color me pleasantly surprised by my enjoyment with this one.

Amun and Haidee have magnetic chemistry and explosive sexual tension, and their mutual longing and desperate need to belong was palpable, touching, and sad. The r
Michelle
Sep 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal
4 Fire And Ice Stars!
This is the seventh book in the Lord of the Underworlds series. Amun and Haidee's story.
Amun is the keeper of secrets. Every person he comes in contact with he absorbs all of their secrets. So many secrets this man keeps inside of him that he is afraid to open his mouth and spill so many things that could cause harm. Amun uses sign language with his brothers. During the last book when Amun, Areon and William visited Hell to rescue Legion Amun's body absorbed many many
Leah
Aug 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I was originally completely against Amun and Haidee being together. I thought that Gena Showalter was going to pair up Amun and Kaia and then Strider and Haidee. It seemed like Stridey-man and Haidee had chemistry in The Darkest Lie, and it seemed that Amun had a thing for Kaia. Well, I've never been so glad to be proven wrong. When I found out the pairings, I was...well, let's just say upset. I have since realized that I just have to let Gena do her thing because, hey, she actually knows what she's doing ...more
Elena R a.k.a. Lunies R

For those of you who didn't wanna finish this series because you weren't happy with the choices Showalter made.Then I'm gonna tell you now. Stop being a Ding-Dong, pick up the dang book and read it! I assure it's well worth reading and you will LOVE IT!

As we all know from the previous book "Darkest Lie" William and Aeron,took Amun into hell to rescue Legion.So this book continues on from there. When Amun-Keeper of the demon of secrets helps in this mission, he absorbs
Laura the Highland Hussy
Jun 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing

Spoiler-free review

I loved the latest installment of Gena Showalter's LotU, but I can honestly say I wasn't thrilled to start it. I'm a Haidee-hater. And you know, it's not because she killed Baden (although that didn't exactly put her on my Christmas card list), it's because I didn't like her, her personality. But once we cut through all the hard exterior and see her gooey center, I liked her. I really liked her.

Amun is one of the ones who you know will
Heather C
After 50 days of this being on my currently reading shelf, I finally finished!

I wanted to quit reading this book so many times, but I really wanted to get past it so I could read The Darkest Surrender and The Darkest Seduction. Strider and Paris's books better be worth all I suffered getting through this book.  In the begin
Larissa Ione
Aug 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favorites in the series, right up there with Reyes's book. This one really showcases Gena's talent...very few authors could pull off a non-speaking hero, and she did it awesomely! Haidee turned out to be my favorite heroine, and I loved how she didn't fight her feelings for long. It was refreshing to have a hero and heroine fall for each other smoothly, while battling external forces. Definitely loved this one!
Jen Davis
Before I started this book, I had some serious concerns about how Gena Showalter would pull this one off. I mean, the hero of the story essentially can't speak. And the leading lady is an old-arch enemy who killed a man that he loved like a brother. But there's a reason Gena Showalter is a best-selling author and I am a fan-girl. Not only did she pull it off, but she actually managed to give us great insight into our hero and made our heroine extremely sympathetic.

Amun shares his bod
valee
Jul 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED it! I just had an amazing time reading this one. I would have added it to my favs shelf if it hadn't been for the ending, you know? one of those rushed finished-in-the-last-20-pages kind of ending. If it had been a bit longer and the solution for all the problems hadn't appear from out of nowhere, I would have enjoyed it even more. It's sad because the book had the potential to be one of the best books in the series.

What I liked the most was the connection the hero and the heroine e
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Oct 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Paranormal romance fans
Recommended to Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) by: Angela
4.5 STARS!!!

A few of you may know that I was less than thrilled to read this book. When I heard about the pairings for this book and Strider’s , I may have gone on a rampage, expressing my displeasure and annoyance. I really hoped for Amun and Kaia to be together and that Strider and Haidee would get a book because of their amazing chemistry in The Darkest Lie. But instead, we got Haidee and Amun and this irked me a bit. This WAS my opinion, so please don’t ride me too hard because I really couldn
Laurie Garrison
Gena Showalter delivers a deep depth into emotions with The Darkest Secret; LOTU fans will not be disappointed. You may even find yourself hanging onto your book so tight that you’ll leave prints. I fell hard for both Amun and Haidee. Both enemy’s and yet they need each other in a way that is so deep that will leave your mouth hanging open saying I can’t believe Gena pulled this off and yet she didn’t drag the story out or leave you feeling that they were trusted together to fast and hard. Total ...more
Riverina Romantics
4.5 Stars

Amun, Amun, Amun!! You sweet sexy demon, you.

I don't think there has been a hero in this series that I wouldn't offer to have babies with, Amun being among them. He was the typical sexy, masculine, sex god (even though he's a demon) that I have come to expect from Gena Showalter.

I wasn't originally a fan of Haidee, I don't think may people were for the obvious fact that she had killed one of the previous demons - but I never doubted Gena's ability to make the st
Catherine
4.5 Stars

I wasn’t sure what to think going into this book. I haven’t enjoyed the last couple books in the series quite as much as I had wanted to. They were good, but the secondary storylines took up way too much space and made me feel like the main relationship was getting shortchanged. I was thrilled to see that the main storyline got way more focus in this book!

I’ve heard some buzz going around recently about people being irritated that Haidee hooked up with Amun when Strider
Deborah Obida
I just don't like Amum, I don't hate him or anything like that, but he is just not that memorable compared to the other Lords, his demon is so cool but it made him sorth of kinda boring. The author also didn't put much thought in his character so it was just plain.

Haidee the love interest is badass and all but I just don't like her I also could not feel their love, it wasn't that instantish but it wasn't cool either.

What made it average was the plot, hell seriously? That is so theinstant
♥  Sam ♥ ~S2~Im made of awesomness
LORD OF THE UNDERWORLD – Every review of this book that I have read has focused on how people wasn’t sure how they would perceive, Haidee’s character – I on the other hand was more concerned about my lack of fondness for a mute Amun.

MY AMUN - ALL TORTURED AND SEXY

imagesCAKKE405

AMUN - AFTER HIS BATH IN HELL

MY AMUN - ALL TORTURED AND SEXY

imagesCAKKE405

AMUN - AFTER HIS BATH IN HELL

untitled

I can’t tell you when I read the last book in this series, but I was happy when it all came flooding back to me when we kicked off right were good ol’ Gideon had left us. Amun is fresh out of hell and is literally crawling with demons and my favourite Stridey-man has bought himself home a new play thang – Haidee. Haidee is instantly drawn to Amun because she thinks that he is, Micah her boyfriend.

I really really really (one more time? Okay) really liked this book, more so in comparison to the other books because there was no fighting of the hero and heroines feelings for each other. They had sizzling chemistry together – each other’s fire and ice. It wonderful to see past memories filter through to help each other realize that there was more to one another than originally thought.

I was just creaming my panties with the amount of page time Strider got. As my close friends know, I have been crowned Strider by polling. I don’t know why other than the fact that were both perfect in every way and made of awesomeness. I guess what also made the book fantastical was how Showalter can weave all the other lords into the stories. I get so frustrated with only little hints and droplets of the upcoming romances – Paris and Sienna – William and Gilly (although that one is going to fun to be seen played out).

Amun has most defiantly reprieved himself in my eyes to be another warrior I have fallen irrevocably in love with, but not as much as Stridey-man.

Two things that made me frown? The ending was too abrupt, solved too quickly. Secondly, I wish something would have happened so he could have spoken freely. But twas not meant to be.

Cannot wait for the next in the series!
Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞
Another enjoyable addition to the Lords of the Underworld series. I was rather surprised at how much I grew to like Amun and Haidee. They were really sweet together and what a journey they had getting there. {I want an angel backpack!} I thought that Haidee's story was really interesting and I liked the whole play on fire and ice. There definitely were some smexy times and IMO it really reminded me of the times with Payne and Manny in Lover Unleashed !

The only problem I had was that same ol' p
Julie
Nov 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
Review, including quotes, posted at http://yummymenandkickasschicks.com/?...

The Darkest Secret is book seven in Gena Showalter’s Lords of the Underworld series. This series revolves around a group of immortal warriors who have been punished for opening Pandora’s Box by having to each house a demon inside him or herself. We’re talking big, sexy, yummy immortal warriors. Warriors that have learned to (somewhat) control their demons and are now really awesome ‘people’ who are fiercely loyal to one another and those they love. Se
Aly is so frigging bored
Oct 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal, favorites
I love Amun's story! He was such a silent character in the other that I didn't think I'll like him... God was I wrong! He was an absolute sweetheart and the glimpses of Strider(such an egotistical asshole ROTFL) and William(he is just WOW, I hope Gena writes his book soon) in the book made it more then funny.

I wanted to hate Haidee since she killed Baden but after all she went through, the life(s) she had, her spunk and how hard and fast she's fallen for Amun I am ready to make her o
Chippy Marco
Jun 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
2 or a 3? I don't know, so I'll say 2 1/5. This is the first book in this series that I didn't like that much. I didn't hate it, but whether I could say I liked it is also another matter. It's an Okay, nothing more. HOWEEEEEVER, I can say I disliked the female main lead distinctly, she annoyed me, while the male lead was boring. I won't give up on this series after one let down, because I did like the precursors, so onto the next one and hopefully my faith in this series will be restored.
Hbeebti
Jul 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I knew that Amun's book would be great. I was not disappointed! It was fabulous! The setup for Strider's book was great. Cant wait to read his later in the year.
Nicole P
Please welcome the newest member to my Book Boyfriend Club: AMUN! Keeper of Secrets, Amun was mysterious, stoic, strong and considerate. His selfless act of being mute to protect his friends and family was a testament to what kind of person he was. It was a slow and steady build up between him and Haidee, a Hunter and threat to the Lords. Despite this, Haidee was key to helping Amun and the two have to work together as they navigate the realms of hell. (view spoiler)Please welcome the newest member to my Book Boyfriend Club: AMUN! Keeper of Secrets, Amun was mysterious, stoic, strong and considerate. His selfless act of being mute to protect his friends and family was a testament to what kind of person he was. It was a slow and steady build up between him and Haidee, a Hunter and threat to the Lords. Despite this, Haidee was key to helping Amun and the two have to work together as they navigate the realms of hell. (view spoiler)

As with every other book there was little bits of new information here and there, and catch up with all the other Lords. I love the whole build up and all the puzzle pieces for the hunt for Pandora's Box. I can't get enough of the Lords and look forward to the next book about Strider and Kaia.
Isalys
Jul 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Amun, Keeper of Secrets, is suffering as a result of his sojourn to Hell with Aeron and William. He is being battered, day in and day out, by the voices of evil that have taken residence in his head. They are beyond his control and are threatening not only his life & sanity, but of those around him. He is a prisoner in his own home; chained to his bed for fear of the damage he will do to others. Is death the only way to save him?

As Keeper of Secrets, he still knows enough that he
SATIN SUE
Jan 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
jD
Apr 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011-read
I love the consistency of the LotU series. Ms. Showalter never disappoints. I especially enjoy her pacing and the way she builds the love story. In this installment, Amun won my heart as did his lover, Haidee. The idea of having a Lord fall for a Hunter was not too far fetched as we already learned from Paris's obsession. In this story, however, Haidee was much more complicated. She was like an onion, layer after layer of the unexpected. I had often wondered what Amun was like as a person. He is ...more
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)
4.5 Stars

I will start by admitting I was not at all interested in reading this book. I went into it thinking "Ok, get through Amun so we're ready for Strider". I did not have issues with the fact that Haidee had killed Baden, I knew there had to be a reason for it. I also didn't have issues with the fact that in a previous book we saw a bit of chemistry between Haidee and Strider. I just didn't really care much one way or another. That sounds bad, huh? I just never though much about Amun, he
Ana
Jan 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is officialy my favourite Lord of the Underwold book.

I looove Amun & Haidee.

Amun, the keeper of Secrets is on a fast track to madness after the events at the end of The Darkest Lie. His salvation comes from an unlikely source, Heidee, a Hunter who hates LotU passionately. He is so incredibly sweet & generous & selfless (I know, I know he's a big bad demon). Even when he had every reason to hate Heidee (view spoiler) ...more
Zeek
Jul 14, 2010 rated it liked it
Took me awhile to care for Amun and Haidee to keep my interest, but I eventually got there. Still much of their story was just not that engaging. Was way more interested in the other characters rather than whether or not they could cleanse Amun of the extra demons he had picked up at the end of the last Lords' book. But I liked who Haidee turned out to be so there is that.

Strider's book is next and tho my interest is piqued- I hope he comes off less bratty than he was in this book. F
The darkest Secret 43 142 Jan 07, 2013 04:42PM
Gena Showalter Fans: The Darkest Secret (LOTU #7) 7 52 Nov 23, 2012 10:34AM

• Lethal Rider (Lords of Deliverance, #3; Demonica, #8)
  • Dreams of a Dark Warrior (Immortals After Dark, #10)
  • Blood Hunt (Sentinel Wars, #5)
  • Entwined (Eternal Guardians, #2)
  • Atlantis Betrayed (Warriors of Poseidon, #6)
Gena Showalter is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of over thirty books in paranormal and contemporary romances, as well as young adult novels. Her series include White Rabbit Chronicles, Angels of the Dark, Otherworld Assassins, Lords of the Underworld, Alien Huntress and Intertwined.

Her novels have appeared in Cosmopolitan Magazine, and Seventeen Magazine, and have

Lords of the Underworld (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • The Darkest Night (Lords of the Underworld #1)
  • The Darkest Kiss (Lords of the Underworld #2)
  • The Darkest Pleasure (Lords of the Underworld #3)
  • The Darkest Whisper (Lords of the Underworld #4)
  • The Darkest Passion (Lords of the Underworld #5)
  • The Darkest Lie (Lords of the Underworld #6)
  • The Darkest Surrender  (Lords of the Underworld #8)
  • The Darkest Seduction (Lords of the Underworld #9)
  • Wicked Nights (Angels of the Dark, #1, Lords of the Underworld #9.25)
  • Beauty Awakened (Angels of the Dark, #2, Lords of the Underworld #9.5)
“Hate. Huh. He'd never hated himself. If anything, he'd always liked himself a little too much. Once, a human female had even accused him of picturing his own face while he climaxed. He hadn't denied it, either, and next time he'd slept with her, he'd made sure to scream, "Strider" at the pivotal moment."
--Strider, keeper of the demon of Defeat--”
132 likes
“For a moment, Strider almost forgot how pissed he was with Amun and Haidee as he savored the fact that he'd just cock-blocked the keeper of Death. Almost.” 89 likes