Start by marking “Crystal & Bone (October Girls, #1)” as Want to Read:
Crystal & Bone (October Girls, #1)

Crystal & Bone (October Girls #1)

3.09  ·  Rating details ·  201 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
For fans of magic, romance, and fantasy.

OCTOBER GIRLS: CRYSTAL & BONE

Five days until Halloween and all hell is about to break loose.

And it’s all Crystal’s fault.

Momma warned her not to consort with the dead and tried to teach her the magic spells that would close the portal to the afterlife. But Crystal doesn’t want to be a trailer-trash witch like Momma. She has dream
Published September 14th 2010 by Haunted Computer Books

To ask other readers questions about Crystal & Bone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crystal & Bone

Wart Hill
Jan 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yay-libraries
It's the B-Movie Apocalypse.

And I don't mean the apocalypse as seen in B-Movies, I mean they're using B-Movies to take over the world. And the only people standing in their way are Crystal, and her dead best friendBone.

And it's just as ridiculous and cracktastic and awesome as it sounds.
Runningrabbit
This book had absolutely nothing wrong with, the writing was fine, the work was creative, it just failed to maintain my interest.
Karen
Nov 18, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-my-kindle
This young adult book read as an unusual mix of horror and comedy. Crystal Aldridge, the main character was meant to be learning how to become a witch and take over from her mother as guardian of the orifice, but she really couldn't be bothered. She came across to me as a pretty dull and shallow character who I couldn't find any love for. Bone, on the other hand, was a real character. Full of fun and with a great personality. Some of the one-liners she came out with and stunts she pulled had me ...more
Victoria Limbert
Scott Nicholson is exactly my cup of tea when it comes to story telling, description, creating great characters and setting the scene. His writing style is brillient. He makes me laugh out loud, even while being completely engrossed in the story. Admittedly it did not take long for me to finish this book. I have not read anything by L.C Glazebrook but whatever she brings to this book makes me want to read more from her.

I love the story, I love the way the plot unfolds, the humour was great and I
Julie
Dec 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
Review written by Leisha for A Tale of Many Reviews

L.C. Glazebrook’s October Girls is a YA novel that proved to be quite an enjoyable read and well worth the time devoted to it! You can’t help but get involved from the beginning. Glazebrook introduces her two main characters, Crystal and Bone with the line “Crystal loved her best friend Bone, but sometimes she wished Bone was just a little bit deader.” I had no idea you could be a little bit dead – I have always pictured dead as an all or nothin
RoloPoloBookBlog
Apr 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
L.C. Glazebrook’s October Girls is a YA novel that proved to be quite an enjoyable read and well worth the time devoted to it! You can’t help but get involved from the beginning. Glazebrook introduces his two main characters, Crystal and Bone with the line “Crystal loved her best friend Bone, but sometimes she wished Bone was just a little bit deader.” I had no idea you could be a little bit dead –I have always pictured dead as an all or nothing kind of deal – I stand corrected and am quite glad ...more
L.A.
Feb 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Article first published as Book Review: October Girls: Book I Crystal & Bone by L. C. Glazebrook on Blogcritics.

As a youth I often wondered at my parents decisions. Did they make the right choices, were they the only ones available, or did they even think about it. I would not have questioned them but that was a different age then the one we live in today.

As a teenager Crystal Aldridge is full of questions. In October Girls: Book I Crystal & Bone by L.C. Glazebrook, we follow the strang
Aimeekay
Apr 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
October Girls was an enjoyable read. It was well written and funny. The only part that didn't completely sell me on it was the ending. I will explain further in the review, however I'm going to try to do it without any spoilers. I'd also like to say that while I had some issues with it, those issues wouldn't stop me from reading the next book in the series or anything else from the author.

Let's go through what I really liked about October Girls.

The biggest thing I liked about the whole book was
Matt Schiariti
Nov 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's a reason why Scott Nicholson is one of my favorite authors (although I'm, as usual, late to the party): his ability to write in an abundance of genres. October Girls is another example of that.

Crystal is just your average 18 year old living in a trailer park. Except that she's a witch. And she's been talking to her dead BFF for the past two years.

Crystal stems from a long line of Aldridge's, witches one and all. They've been tasked with keeping portals to 'the other side' closed for hund
Kristen
Oct 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Crystal is best friends with a ghost named Bone. Yep, her name is Bone. This is an interesting book. Crystal is a witch who really doesn't want to be a witch and she's in love or maybe "love" with her boyfriend who is definitely under a love spell. Meanwhile, in the other side, where Bone resides when she has to go "home," weird things are happening. She starts to wonder if there's a sinister plot but goes along with it. She's jealous of Crystal and would betray her if it made her alive again.

Ye
Melissa Robles
Apr 03, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Crystal and Bone, best friends until death do us part?
Never.

That's the strong line in this cute horror/paranormal book about witches, ghosts and well, Royce Dean.
I believe the characters were really funny and unique. Bizarre, actually.
A witch in training, who has been consorting with her dead best friend, killed by a UPS truck at the age of 16, Bone still struggles with the fact that she can never be a part of the living world, but gets to "live" by crossing over the portals of the afterlife th
The Haunted Reading Room 2017 - Year of Lovecraft
Jan 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Supernatural; YA Paranormal; Paranormal Humour

It isn’t often readers can laugh while engrossed in the Supernatural, but when it does happen, often it’s due to Scott Nicholson. October Girls is a laugh-out loud pleasure, geared perhaps to YA readers, but equally hilarious to adults-who can, after all, remember being young! Of course, most adults do NOT recall being adolescent and friends with the Dead, as is young Crystal, growing up in a tiny Appalachian hamlet, where her best friend has been deceased-quite a long time. If that premise isn’
Oct 21, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, fantasy
I wanted to like this book. I feel like I'm writing that in a lot of my reviews lately. Good idea, but something about the execution of that idea just didn't quite work for me.

The entire book revolves around the relationship between best friends Crystal (a trailer trash witch who is alive) and Bone (who happens to be dead). I think the main aspect of the story that didn't work for me is that I didn't really "believe" in the relationship between the two girls. Supposedly they're best friends, but
Missie
Nov 19, 2010 rated it liked it
I had this book on my reading list for October, but the month passed by so fast, and I never got around to it. Sad, because it would have been perfect timing for this snarky story.

Best friends Bone and Crystal have a lot in common, like the fact that Bone is a ghost and Crystal is a witch (in training). And while they both secretly love to hate each other while they chase after boys, they can't deny that even a little thing like getting hit by a UPS truck can kill a friendship like theirs.

Funny
Sharon Stevenson
Dec 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-freebie, owned
Crystal is an eighteen-year-old witch, in training by her mother to keep the nasty things lurking in interdimensional portals contained. Bone is her best friend, who died 2 years before and insists on hanging around. Halloween is coming up, and there's a film maker in town with a stock pile of movies that are having a strange effect on the locals.

There's a lot to like about 'October Girls'. I thought the characters were brilliant and Nicholson's writing style keeps things fresh and entertaining
Megan
I have been trying with this book, tonight however I am giving in.

The characters are really quite ok. I want to gush over them but really they are not that great. Averagely one dimentional characters.

Its just so slow and really so boring. When it comes to witches and the dead I read books very quickly because usually theres things happening, this book just can't bring that feeling. It plods along at some slow pace with something happening very rarely and if im honest what does happen?

I am on ch
Scott
Sep 24, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"I liked it" is a good rating for this book. (Though 3 stars feels like a "C" in school, very average, and I think this book was above average, though not as good as many of the other books I've rated "4-stars".)

It tells the story of two high school girls and their quest to save their town (and the world) from an influx of bad things from the "other side". Oh, and one of the girls is dead, and the other's a witch-in-training.

There are many interesting characters to be found in this story, but
Mary
Dec 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
October Girls
This is not my typical read, but I really enjoyed it. The book is really about a friendship about two teen girls and how even death can’t break them apart. Plus, it is filled with some Halloween fun when Crystal and her mother get some spells mixed up and all Hell, literally, is about to bust loose on Halloween, lead on by the adorable, wanna-be-famous Royce Dean, the unborn twin of James Dean. Little town Parson’s Ford is in for a real-life monster movie and only Crystal and her de
Christa
Oct 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Great read for YA and the Young at Heart

It's rare to see a book, written by two authors (Scott Nicholson and L. C. Glazebrook), with such a distinct, unified voice. It's almost as if the two authors were one! (Ha, ha!) I loved this book. It vividly portrays the trials and tribulations of two teenage girls, which are made even more problematic, since one of them is a witch and the other one dead (or is she?) Plenty of Halloween fun, craziness, dangerous creatures from the Dark side, interesting c
Nicole G.
Sep 06, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, 2013
Crystal is a teenage witch. Her best friend, known as Bone, is dead. Together, they have to save the town from dark forces on Halloween.

It's not a bad concept for a story, but I had to force myself to finish it. It wasn't as engaging as some of Nicholson's other work. The plot jumped around a bit too abruptly at times. I would have liked a bit more backstory to the girls and their friendship before Bone died. One gets dropped in the middle of that story, so it didn't seem as realistic to me.
Jon-david Mafia Hairdresser
I read this YA book because I liked the author. I can't rave about it because it is a young adult book and not my regular reading genre.
It was so much fun for me to read though. L.C. Glazebrook has a knack for young dialogue and has a fun with his oohy-goohy characters as well as the best-friends main characters, one dead and one alive.
I'll certainly read more October Girls when I have time.
Brandy Hope
Jul 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, it was fun, and I think my 13 year old niece would love it. A witch is trying to save the world, with the help of her dead best friend, and her mother...to an extent. But there are some getting in the way...the dead best friend's clueless dead crush, the dead, gorgeous, unborn brother of James Dean...oh the list is endless. Very entertaining.
Chelsea
Oct 10, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not a very good read. There wasn't much character development or depth to create much fondness for any of the characters. On it's own, that made it difficult to care about much of anything that happened.
Blaise
Aug 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
A fun read. I really liked Bone and Crystals relationship and can't wait for book two to be released! Nicholson is a master of many genres, I never know what to expect with his books except that I know I will always come away with a smile.
Joseph
Dec 27, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
it was strange and definitely ridiculous at times but even though it wasn't my kind of book and I wouldn't read it again it was still a good story. It did get a bit stale with the Ups truck though I understand why it still felt played out.
Ashley
Dec 14, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was kind of a cute book. Two best friends, but one of them is dead...cute new guy in town trying to bring on the apocolypse...ghosts, witches, video stores...reminds me a little of a juvenile Christopher Moore.
Amy
Jan 19, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: given-up
I had a hard time choosing between 1 and 2 stars. The story could have been ok but I'm just coming off of reading the Hunger Games trilogy and was looking for something a little faster. I finally just gave up on the story - I may come back to it one day.
Heather
Mar 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
cute story about friendship, some betrayal, making the best out of your situation and of course the good guys triumphing! very easy to read. I enjoyed it. good teenage book.
Connie  Bredernitz
Jun 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Paranormal

Not a fan of paranormal, but I thought I would give it another try. Nope, not for me. But I am sure if that is your thing you will enjoy.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Fading Into Magic (Fading Into Magic, #1)
  • The Takers (The Oz Chronicles, #1)
  • The Vampire Club
  • Number 13 (Lightmasters, #1)
  • Ocean of Dust
  • Ghostly Summons
  • Angelstone (Dark Angel, #2)
  • Legacy Forgotten (The Avalon Legacies, #1)
  • Gemini Moon
  • The Thing Is
  • Practice Cake (Life in Saltwater City, #1)
  • Fall of Sky City (Devices of War, #1)
  • Hunter's Blood (Cursed by Blood, #1)
  • The Nightmare Stone
  • The Dark Victorian: Risen Volume One
  • The Undying God
  • The End of the World
  • Iron Shinto (Moa, #3)
With more than 500,000 books sold worldwide, Scott Nicholson is an international bestselling thriller writer. He won the Writers of the Future Award in 1999 and was a Stoker Award finalist in 2003. His Fear series was published by Amazon's Thomas & Mercer imprint and 47North released the supernatural thriller McFALL.

He's also published a number of supernatural, paranormal, and fantasy books an
More about Scott Nicholson...

“Behold the power of bacon,” 2 likes