Start by marking “The Accidental Existentialist” as Want to Read:

The Accidental Existentialist

3.29  ·  Rating details ·  237 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
THE ACCIDENTAL EXISTENTIALIST
( A short novella)

Chris Connor stages his death in order to go dark and take on the head of an International Russian Crime Syndicate, perpetrators of illegal arms dealing, human trafficking and the death of his first born son. Tense, action-packed and filled with more twists than the Coney Island Cyclone, THE ACCIDENTAL EXISTENTIALIST poses th
Published (first published August 16th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Accidental Existentialist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Accidental Existentialist

Cathy
Sep 02, 2011 added it
Shelves: kindle-books
Short story.
Chris Connor, a lieutenant in the CID, fakes his own death. It is the only way he can protect his wife and son. His older son had been kidnapped and killed by the Russian mafia.
Chris, using another identity, then tries to kill the leader. He gets a surprise when he learns the identity of the leak in his organization.
(Although the leak coming from this person was only to be expected. He's the only other person mentioned besides the Russians.)
-------------------------------
I reviewed t
Brian
Mar 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Accidental Existentialist is a fast paced story that really sucks you in quickly, sets the stage, gives you just enough to get you an idea of what's going on - allowing your imagination to fill in the blanks - and then delivers what is the climax to what could have easily been fleshed out into a 400 pages thriller in the same vein as some of Ted Dekker's best books. Joshua really has a knack for telling a gripping tale without much fluff, but not so terse that you feel like you're getting a ...more
rameau
Thank heavens this was an Amazon freebie when I got it. The story started out as a solid three star novella, but quickly moved to two stars and just not my cuppa review file. Then the final twist happened and it all fell apart.

Maybe it's just because I don't share the author's inner ideals - mine lie on the other side of the globe - but I didn't have real reason to cheer for Chris Conner at any point. Graham completely failed to sell me Conner's motivations. His kid died, tough, but Conner's co
Olethros
Jul 22, 2013 rated it liked it
-Existencialismo que no existe.-

Género. Novela corta.

Lo que nos cuenta. Chris Connor es testigo de su propio funeral desde una limusina, un truco realizado con la intención de proteger a sus seres queridos del mafioso ruso Khrenikov, involucrado en drogas, armas y tráfico de seres humanos entre otros delitos. Las investigaciones de Chris para la División de Investigación Criminal del Cuerpo de Marines de Estados Unidos contra Khrenikov ya le han costado a su primogénito, y Chris quiere venganza
Wanda
Jan 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Chris Connor. a CID agent, stages his death. Khrenikov needs to believe that Chris Connor is dead. This is the only way for Connor's wife and remaining son to be safe. Connor's oldest son has been killed by the Russian Mafia and Khrenikov is responsible for this cold blooded murder. The "Big K", as he is called, has been behind a frightening number of criminal operations from narcotics, to illegal immigration, to human trafficking. The number of deaths Big K is responsible for numbers in the hun ...more
J.
Sep 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
Decent short story, but a tad predictable and I never connected psychologically with the main character.

[SPOILER ALERT] Logically it holds together (the Russian middleman is out to see his mobster boss killed, so he had no reason to mention that the main character was coming aboard the yacht with his knife, and the turncoat didn't expect the MC to learn that the Russian mobster wasn't the one who killed his son, so of course he thought the MC could be persuaded to his perspective). And I do like
Ben Campbell
When I read stories and novels sometimes I see errors that don't botter me from finishing the story if I'm enjoying it. Throughout the Accidental Existentialist I discovered a couple of incomplete sentences along with a few syntax and suffix errors. Since I was enjoying reading Joshua Graham, I overlooked the minor problems. I hope the readers of my novels bypass the minor errors, too, and enjoy reading the substance instead of criticizing grammatical errors.

This short story was paced nicely wit
Janine
Jun 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
The story starts with Chris Connor watching his wife and son at a funeral at his funeral as he’s faked his own death to get to a Russian who he thinks killed his other son.

He is that determined to find out why he kidnapped and then killed his son.

The only other person who knows what is going on is Masterson.

Little does Chris know that with faking his own death and then infiltrating the Russian syndicate that something not planned for would happen.

Great story and would have made a brilliant longe
Anand
Jan 17, 2013 rated it liked it
This was an exciting read, but too short. It reads like the climax chapter of a regular novel. So, the first few pages gives a crisp background to the plot, and then the balance 70% of the pages are, simply put, what could be the last couple of chapters of a regular thriller. The result is- it all ends too soon! But, to be fair, it was an exciting 30 minutes of time that I spent reading this, and to that extent, it was pure entertainment.
Blanche
Apr 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Too short!

I would certainly recommend this as a short story - but it certainly seemed to beg for more. It's like it just started in the middle with no beginning (although there was reference to other past things.) and needed more as a final, to add to the conclusion. What happens next, and where does he go from here, that kind of thing!
Bill Bradford
Jun 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: adventure
Well paced and a quick read. I think I get where the title comes from, and if the story had been twice as long I think Graham could have developed that theme fully. As it is, it is just a good quick read. There is undeveloped potential for more. Would be good for the beach.
Carrie Lynn Hayton
May 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great short story

It was sad in the beginning how the father had to witness himself being buried by his own family. Knowing that these mob guys go after people and that sometimes they might have to fake their own death they have their family safe.
Matt Kelland
Mar 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
Ed Schmidt
Sep 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Fast Thriller with memorable characters

Great short story by Joshua Graham. He quickly establishes characters with great detail. He covers a lot story in a short period of time too. No time for filler here. I look forward to read more from him.
Christy
Aug 26, 2011 rated it did not like it
I don't like short stories for the most part. This one is an example of why. Very very rushed to get to the end of the plot without any character development at all. I had no vested interest in anyone or anything.
Amanda
Apr 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
This is a very quick read, but unfortunately not a very interesting one. There's not enough background, and the whole thing is over too fast for the reader to get invested in the story or in any of the characters. Not memorable at all.
Jerome
Dec 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"GOODREAD"
Tamara Temple
Sep 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
I did enjoy reading this, but I had absolutely no idea it was a short story. This really needs to be made into a novel.
Naomi
Feb 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
The ending brought my rating up from a three to a four... A story such as this is not a normal read but I enjoyed it.
Jan
Mar 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I wish this was a novel rather than a short story as I instantly got hooked on Chris and the story!
Kathie
Sep 11, 2012 rated it liked it
OK - much shorter than I expected - ended abruptly - not completely sure what I thought - liked the character development - looking forward to reading a full length novel
Kathy B.
Apr 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Entertaining, short mystery.
Joan
Apr 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Joshua Graham writes some interesting books. They are short, quick reads and are worth reading.
Leah C
Oct 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
It was a very good short story. I agree with others that it should have been made into a full length novel.
GenieD
Nancy
Oct 03, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Road Markers
  • Kotov Syndrome (Zero Sum, #1)
  • Cage Life
  • Julius Katz Mysteries
  • The Clever Detective: Story 1 (A Fairy Tale Romance)
  • Once We Were Kings
  • The Ghost of a Flea
  • Ascension Day
  • Jury of Peers
  • Air
  • Ruth
  • Lie Down in Green Pastures (The Psalm 23 Mysteries, #3)
  • Get A Life! 8 Steps to Create Your Own Life List
  • Taking Stock
  • Mourning Doves and other stories.
  • Famous Last Words
  • The Deuce (Midtown Blue #1)
  • The Twelfth Juror
JOSHUA GRAHAM is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of Beyond Justice, Terminus, and Darkroom, the winner of the International Book Award, Forward National Literature Award, USA Book News Best Books Award, and host of Thriller Radio. His award-winning novel DARKROOM hit 3 bestseller lists on Amazon the night of its release.

CBS NEWS described DARKROOM as a book with "action, politi
More about Joshua Graham...