Start by marking “The Hounds and the Fury ("Sister" Jane, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Hounds and the Fury ("Sister" Jane, #5)

The Hounds and the Fury

("Sister" Jane #5)

Critics and fans alike are wild about Rita Mae Brown's richly imagined and utterly engaging foxhunting mysteries-and this latest novel promises more thrilling hunts, breathtaking vistas, and an all-new sinister scandal.

Millions of dollars seem to be missing after a long-overdue audit of the local aluminum plant reveals a major accounting discrepancy. Company president
Published September 25th 2007 by Ballantine Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Hounds and the Fury, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hounds and the Fury

Start your review of The Hounds and the Fury ("Sister" Jane, #5)
Linda
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
I had not read a RMB novel in quite a while, but had quite enjoyed her Sneaky Pie Brown series as well as Rubyfruit Jungle, Six of One and Southern Discomfort to name a few. So I picked up a couple of her "Sister" Jane novels which I had not yet experienced and just felt cozy all over again. This one is a primer on humane fox hunting, and having shown and owned horses myself, I was reminded of my own experience when I fox hunted as a guest (cap fee and all) . And of course her imaginative ...more
Allison Ann
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: loaner, reviewed, uno-2019
After the last installment of this series, which did nothing but preach, we were back to a fun mix of animals, people, foxhunting and mystery, with Sister Jane telling us how we all should act and live to round things out. :) I still want to be her when I grow up. I've been asking for a pony for 44 years. No luck yet, but I haven't given up. And I count my spoons in the spring. :D

The mystery was pretty easy to figure out and I've decided that every single person in Jefferson County is a thief
Jeannine
An excellent primer on the tradition of fox hunting in Virginia; the people, their responsibilities in the field, the love and care of their horses and hounds, their love for the land and even their love and care of the foxes they hunt (actually they don't hunt, they chase). Mixed in with all this information is a mystery and some interesting characters. OK I'm not fond of the animals talking or narrating parts of the story. I usually find this too cute for my taste but at least the author gives ...more
Michele bookloverforever
Another really good mystery by a wonderful author.
Katie Chase
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
A strong entry in the Sister series. A dramatic denouement to the murder mystery takes a back seat to dramatic hunts, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The animal relationships are particularly fun and interesting in this story. Golly the cat meeting a fox face to face is a series highlight. Although I might not always agree with Sister's (and Brown's) social views, this continues to be an enjoyable and comforting world to visit.
Marlene Burrows
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jefferson Hunt

Very engaging book. Rita Mae Brown is a terrific writer. Her mysteries keep your interest going and I love the interplay of the various animals and humans.
Susan Miller
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome!!

Love all of Rita Mae Browns books. I have been reading her books since 1982. I havent missed one yet.
Diane Large
Not the best mystery, but I love the education I receive on fox hunting and everything that goes with it.
Joyce Reynolds-Ward
This book is better than the previous one (The Hunt Ball) and takes place immediately afterward. While reading The Hunt Ball isn't necessary, it helps to understand a few of the undercurrents in the book.

Still, there's a bit more "as you know"-type dialogue than I'm comfortable with to explain certain technicalities, though it's still smoother than in the earlier books. There's also a bit of "get off my lawn" curmudgeonly political writing that feels awkward to me, as if the author is repeating
Carolyn
Dec 28, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Two more in the Sister Jane Hall/Jefferson Hunt Club series (got started a few years ago with an Xmas present).

I liked both of these for the things Ive liked before: the intrigue and details of the mystery, the awesome dogs and horses and the foxes (I love the foxes) and their reactions and relations and really vital role in the story. Man I love reading the scenes with Cora and Dasher. The hunt scenes are really wonderful and atmospheric, take you right into the thick of things.

And I didnt like
Pamella
Jan 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book of the Outfoxed series I have read. Chronologically it is prior to the first "Sister" Jane mystery I read, but not first in the series. Comments about this book were in the following title, "Hounded to Death". (I think that's the title.) Anyway, I liked this one better as it is less politically preachy. Don't get me wrong, I love Rita Mae and usually agree with her politics. I just prefer the books that have more story-line and less politics. I enjoy the animals side of ...more
Allison
I listened to 'The Hounds and the Fury' on audiobook during my daily commutes to and from work. I tend to think I would have enjoyed the story more if I had read it in a paper format, as I found Rita Mae Brown to be a fairly unstimulating narrator as audiobooks go. The story started off slowly and I considered ditching it for another set of discs, but in the end I'm glad I stuck with it. I don't know anything about fox hunting, but it seems like the author is very committed to accuracy when it ...more
Natasha  Briggs
I'm sure a lot of people are going to disagree with me on this one.

Millions of dollars goes missing at an aluminum plant which appears to be a mystery to everybody. The local hunt club gets involved as a body lands right in the middle of their hunting grounds. "Sister" Jane offers her opinion as the killer seems to be trying to outsmart everybody. While this whole mystery is going on, you learn a lot about fox hunting and the politics involved with the hunt club. The hounds, foxes and other
Janet
Okay, I forgive Brown for the large editing mistake in her last book. Unfortunately, since its been so long since Ive read her last book, it took me a while to remember where it left off. Once I caught up though, this was a rollicking fast read with plenty of action and lots of my favorite characters. I completely missed how Sister discovered who the bad guy was, but once she explained it to the sheriff, I caught on. More or less. ...more
Bill
Nov 05, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do not approve of fox-hunting, although this does put a good face on it.

The talking animals were strange and it took awhile to realize no one really understood them, except the other animals... sorta like the baby in the first few seasons of Family Guy. But since no one is actually eating the foxes (inedible) or killing them, I guess its ok.

The murder mystery was kinda light, with a few splatters of frozen blood here and there to keep one guessing.
Rebecca
Nov 14, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: light-read
I got this for a light read in the car. I appreciated the author providing all the animals (foxes, hounds, owls, house pets) with a voice. I especially liked the scene between the cat, the house dogs, and a fox. But, unfortunately, I figured out the killer long before the resolution in the book. I think I need something with a bit more action to distract me from Statistics and Econometrics.
Becky Galambos
Jan 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
April 2012 -This is the best and funniest of the series so far!

March 2014 - Still a very good book.
October 2016 - Still one of my favorite of the series. Still glad to see that idiot Crawford being out of Jefferson and seen for the nitwit he is, even by his own hounds. The scene where the two packs meet gets funnier every time I read/visualize it.
George
Jul 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
#5 in the "Sister" June Arnold fox hunting in Virginia mystery series. This is another good mystery, though one can identify the baddies early on. A good blend of characters, both human and animal, along with a lot about fox hunting and Virginia manners. The mystery adds to the continuing saga involving personality clashes involving the fox hunting club which "Sister" heads.
Katharine Reynolds
Really enjoyed this outting with Jane Arnold. The twist of 2 villians and them screwing over eachother and neither knowing was great. I love that all these books are autonomus and don't need to be read in order. I would love if she wrote something about Sister's grandfather. Seems there could be a great period piece there?
Max
Jan 21, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jesus H Christ on a raft. I am enjoying already. Reviews are piling up with grumblings about sister Jane's "holier than thou attitude" and know it all knowledge. She is 6'1" 72 years still having sex and FLASH we are made aware of another of sister's qualities-sister is a "respectable 38C".
Madeline
Aug 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: southern-novels
Great continuation of the series. I really get into Rita Mae Brown's "foxhunting series", and her mysteries never cease to keep me interested.

A great light read. I can't wait to read the next few books in the series.
Heather
Dec 15, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery lovers
Enjoyable mystery if you like Brown's anecdotes about country life in central Virginia and talking animals. The plot was not as engaging as some of the past books in this series, but there was further development of recurring characters.
Carolyn
I read this series for the fox hunting details - as murder mysteries go, it was *eh - whatever.
Kathy Luetkenhoelter
Very slow moving book. Hard to follow because of all the conversations going on between the foxes, the horses, the owls and of course the humans and keeping them straight
Lisa
Feb 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Another great story with Sister Jane and the Jefferson Hunt Club
Rhonda
Jul 27, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What kind of craziness is this . . . the dogs, horses and wild animals in the field all add their point of view in this one!
Madeleine
Nov 28, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't even finish reading it. Got bogged down in the fox hunting detail and weirdness of the animal characters... and waiting for the mystery to begin.
Judy Cherry
Jan 05, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The latest paperback version of the foxhunting series, and as usual, hard to put down, This is pure entertainment, but you do learn a lot about the flora and fauna around us.
Rhonda
Oct 12, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decent read as far as cozy mystieries go. The sense of being in the hounds heads is pretty well done. Not my favorite series, but will probably read more.
Dimps
I didn't see the one coming.

• The Cat Who Saw Red (Cat Who... #4)
  • Steamed Open (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #7)
  • Beating About the Bush (Agatha Raisin, #30)
  • Wednesday's Child (Inspector Banks, #6)
  • Lavender Blue Murder (A Tea Shop Mystery #21)
  • Dose Vidanya (Silver Hills Cozy Mysteries #1)
  • Sins of the Fathers (J.P. Beaumont #24)
  • Killer Characters (A Books by the Bay Mystery, #8)
  • A Sip of Murder (Japanese Tea Garden Mysteries, #1)
  • One Corpse Too Many (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #2)
  • What Child Is This? (Ellie Kent Mystery, #2)
  • Saint Peter's Fair (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #4)
  • The Whole Cat and Caboodle (Second Chance Cat Mystery, #1)
  • The Cat Who Robbed a Bank (Cat Who... #22)
  • Survival of the Fritters (Deputy Donut Mystery #1)
  • Shot Through the Hearth (A Fixer-Upper Mystery, #7)
  • Six Merry Little Murders: Christmas Cozy Mystery Novellas
  • The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern (Cat Who..., #2)
Rita Mae Brown is a prolific American writer, most known for her mysteries and other novels (Rubyfruit Jungle). She is also an Emmy-nominated screenwriter.

Brown was born illegitimate in Hanover, Pennsylvania. She was raised by her biological mother's female cousin and the cousin's husband in York, Pennsylvania and later in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.

Starting in the fall of 1962, Brown attended the

"Sister" Jane (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Outfoxed ("Sister" Jane, #1)
  • Hotspur ("Sister" Jane, #2)
  • Full Cry ("Sister" Jane, #3)
  • The Hunt Ball  ("Sister" Jane, #4)
  • The Tell-tale Horse ("Sister" Jane, #6)
  • Hounded to Death ("Sister" Jane, #7)
  • Fox Tracks ("Sister" Jane #8)
  • Let Sleeping Dogs Lie (Sister" Jane, #9)
  • Crazy Like a Fox ("Sister" Jane #10)
  • Homeward Hound ("Sister" Jane, #11)

News & Interviews