Start by marking “Anonymous Lawyer” as Want to Read:
Anonymous Lawyer

Anonymous Lawyer

He's a hiring partner at one of the world's largest law firms. Brilliant yet ruthless, he has little patience for associates who leave the office before midnight or steal candy from the bowl on his secretary's desk. He hates holidays and paralegals. And he's just started a web-blog to tell the world about what life is really like at the top of his profession.

Meet Anonymous
Published February 1st 2007 by Vintage (first published July 25th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Anonymous Lawyer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anonymous Lawyer

Start your review of Anonymous Lawyer
Petra-X
Warning: do not drink hot coffee whilst reading this book. Snorking and dirty clothes will result.

How many stars? 27! At least! for being the funniest of all possible books about lawyers. It's the sort of book you pass on to all your friends. However, something very odd, although my son and his law student friends enjoyed it, neither of the lawyers I sold it to did. Perhaps they felt it was a bit like a mirror and it wasn't the one which told them that yes, they were the fairest of them all. Pu
Rebecca McNutt
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comedy, law, fiction, humor
This is a compelling and interesting book, but I think that the main character was too judgemental when he was in fact the jerk writing about all his colleagues behind their backs. As the plot unfolds though, it becomes an unforgettable comedy that questions both privacy and the worth of a job you don't enjoy.
Eric_W
Mar 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: current-affairs
Based on a real blog (still extant) by the no longer anonymous lawyer at a large firm, the novel is in the form of a series of emails and blog postings from the Hiring Partner to his niece, an aspiring lawyer, but not of the same ilk as her uncle.

Our partner despises Daylight Savings Time because instantly a full sixty minutes of billable hours are lost and no one bothers to make it up in the fall, instead, just sleeping in. He hates holidays, why should we celebrate Memorial Day when we could a
Jennifer Wardrip
This is one of the funniest books I've read this year. Sure, the whole "partner-who-wants-to-be-chairman" storyline of the book was a good one--but what kept me glued to the pages of ANONYMOUS LAWYER for four straight hours was the fact that I couldn't stop laughing.

Two paralegals chatting incessantly? Easy solution--punch one of the them in the face. Anonymous Daughter getting fat? Easy enough to solve--let Anonymous Wife take her in for liposuction. My favorite scene from the entire book, tho
Sep 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is hysterically funny and I would recommend it to anyone who has ever worked in the legal profession.
Tiziana N
Aug 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was pure wicked, witty fun. I highly recommend it to anyone who gets a kick from satire with little or no regard for PC boundaries. And if you are familiar with big law-firm culture like I am, you will even get extra kicks from all the BILLABLE PENCIL-PUSHING...

I bill the time I think about these sorts of things. I call it “research.” The clients never question it. “Research” is code for surfing the Internet, “drafting” is code for eating in your office, “misc. legal forms” is code for orde
Anthony Eaton
My wife is lawyer. Well, a former lawyer. She enjoyed this book immensely, partly because it's a darn funny piece of writing, but also - I suspect - out of a powerful sense of schadenfreude - this is a particularly biting (read: horribly accurate) novel about life at the top of a top lawfirm; insane (and always billable) hours, political backbiting, substance abuse and the constant undermining of everyone around you. And now she doesn't have to do any of that.

As you can probably tell, it's a com
Erin
Oct 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So funny ... because it is true. I'm not saying every lawyer is like this (obviously, what would that say about me?) but we have all known someone like this. And more than likely, we have all worked for someone like this. I was disappointed Anonymous Lawyer never worked in his boxers at the office. Made me realize that the main character was fictional and not actually my old boss. For a while there I thought he was A.L.
Elizabeth Bingham
Ok so some people may not like this because it insults them...I think it's hilarious because it's true. However, I thought the storyline on the actual blog was funnier because on the actual blog Anon Lawyer doesn't give a flip about ANYONE and is meaner to the support staff etc.
Kathy
Apr 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the funniest book i have read in a long time. It is written by a real lawyer and is such a fun, entertaining read. It gives you stereotypical way of how we would view lawyers in the way they think but its written in a funny way.
Mhairi
Jan 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious book! I actually laughed out loud at a number of points, and when I read parts to my husband, even he laughed. You don't have to be a "big law" lawyer to get this book - although a knowledge of the stereotypes helps. Overall, a wonderfully funny, light read that I couldn't put down!
Koeeoaddi
Loathesome, despicible, unconscionable fun.
Joanna
Mar 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
I used to read Jeremy Blachman's Harvard Law School student blog regularly back in 2004. I remember the announcement he posted about being the author of another blog I never heard of at the time - the Anonymous Lawyer. Shortly after he confessed to be in the process of writing a book based on the blog.

I've wanted to read this book for years, but couldn't find it anywhere - finally managed to get it at archive.org. I was not disappointed. A quick but a fun read, and although of course I do realiz
Shanequa
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Despicably hilarious! I feel a little guilty enjoying this book as much as I did because the main character and his actions are truly awful. But I'd be lying if I said this book didn't give me genuine laughs the whole way through. This is a fun read.
Maggie Thrash
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is straight-up Gossip Girl meets a corporate law fim. I ate it right up. One of the most delightfully sociopathic books I’ve read in a long time!!!!!
Kara Babcock
The epistolary novel was a huge tradition back when the novel was first becoming big. I love that blogs have breathed new life into this form. Anonymous Lawyer, based on a blog of the same name, is the somewhat-fabricated record of the hiring partner at a corporate law firm. He shares his views on summer students, employee management, how to get to the top, and family matters. In this character Jeremy Blachman conveys a perfect, supercilious parody of the shark-like, soulless attorney as we know ...more
Charlaralotte
Feb 18, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Charlaralotte by: Fluke purchase at bookstore
Shelves: read-in-2007
Praise the good lord for this book. At the time I picked it up, I was wallowing between jobs, and my mom was cranking up the pressure on me to attend an "open house" for the paralegal program at a local university.

I kept thinking, "I will design the shingle to hang outside the lawyer's office; I will design the business cards, the letterhead, the website. I will decorate the lawyer's office. But there's no way in hell I'm going to go to work EVERY DAY in that lawyer's office."

Still, it was a v
Nickyty
Nov 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lawyer, humor
(Reposting an old review -- circa 2007 -- uploaded in Multiply)

Once in a while we come across a book that strikes a chord or two in our lives. But there are those rarer occasions when that random chord striking reverberates into a virtual symphony.

This is what happened to me when I unassumingly picked up this book one evening at the Press Café in Fully Booked Power Plant. By the end of the second chapter, I knew I had to get my own copy.

The book is a satirical insider account of the inner work
Ensiform
Apr 14, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
The novelization of a popular (and hilarious) blog, ostensibly by a hiring partner at a major LA law firm. The titular lawyer, whose obsessions with quality and power are much akin to the protagonist’s in American Psycho, is here made less venomous through a series of emails to his niece. At the firm, he vies for the Chairmanship with a rival he dubs “The jerk,” and worries after an associate finds out the blog is his. Thus a few plot conflicts are presented, and it climaxes when “Associate X” o ...more
Recynd
Written in a modified epistolary format (blog posts rather than letters), an ambitious partner in a top-notch law firm spills the beans about his superiors, the associates, and abysmal treatment endured by the assortment of underlings required to make a busy law firm profitable and efficient.

Nasty to the point of schadenfreude, this book is definitely a "guilty pleasure". Sayings like, "Good guys win in the end," and, "Good things come to those who wait," or the idea of "just rewards" simply do
Theryn Fleming
I started reading Jeremy's eponymous law school blog sometime in 2003. In 2004, he started writing the Anonymous Lawyer blog (as "Anonymous Lawyer"). I read it for a while, but it got a bit repetitive and I stopped. A few months later, there was an article in the NY Times "outing" him as the writer behind AL. Fast forward: book deal, writing of book, publishing of book, optioning of book...

I really bought AL because of Jeremy’s personal blog, not the AL blog. I think AL the book is better than
Mati
Mar 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Every firm has such person. Everyone know such person and hates it to the bone. The blogging is curse and blessing of our age. The lawyer, who was tired of all deception of pretending his good graces everyday, turned to express his true self on the blog he wrote. He was a hiring partner of the great lawyer firm and he was nasty and mean to everybody, he hated associates who were not working to the point of collapse. The great enemy of his was lurking just behind his back THE JERK. The fight of t ...more
Celia
Sep 25, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour
I used to occasionally read bits of the blog "Anonymous Lawyer", and thought it was an amusing spoof on life in a big law firm. The book of the blog, however, is a bit awful, as I imagine most books-of-blogs are. It consists of blog entries and emails, with a pretty pathetic plot woven in between. While the over-the-top character who writes the blog entries is amusing, it doesn't work in the emails when the ott character is presented as a real person. Not believable at all, to the point where I ...more
Heather Knight
Another blog-become-novel, Anonymous Lawyer follows an egomaniac, workaholic, and genuinely cruel lawyer as he starts a blog, gets found out, and proceeds to ruin his career. Hard to feel bad for the guy.

Although there are moments that I think we can all relate to in a workplace way, most of it is so foreign (summer interns billing out at $250/hr) that I just couldn't believe it was real.

Anyway, it's a quick read and an interesting peek into another world ... one you won't be sorry you don't li
Kishel Bactong
This is funny although a bit plain and bland on some parts..
Ive been into lawyers and the job they do since I was a kid, they are just so impressive, y'know men in suits looking very smart and stuffs.
Add SUITS to my apparent love for Law. I just feel like this book is a story that is real and based on a life of a true partner in a big law firm, story of how the good ones are being passed on, how their firms become the center of their lives. It's much like a diary of a real hiring partner.
Roz
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
A brilliantly hilarious book about a hiring partner at a prestigious law firm, who writes a blog online about his job and the people who he works with. He nicknames his co-workers and his family members with anonymous and inappropriate nicknames and complains about his day to day life within the firm. As well as the blog point of view, you read emails between him and his 'anonymous niece', with whom he is always trying to convince to follow in his footsteps. His blog is brilliantly written and t ...more
Nadine
Oct 30, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had a hard time starting this - that was completely my fault- I kept seeing my law office and hearing all the people I work with. I kept thinking about who this person would be that stole the donut, etc... and I would need to stop cause I could literally just see it all- in parts of the book there's notes of other lawyers responding to his blog (it's written in the form of a blog) some of these responses accuse the author of being a partner at their firm- I could have done the same thing-- yes ...more
Eric Martínez
Apr 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, favorites
Probably the most hilarious book I've ever read (The Adventures of Captain Underpants would obviously be the alternative candidate, and between those two it might be a toss-up). I think I laughed out loud at least once per page, which is way more than I thought was physically possible while reading a novel. I only wish that more people I knew (especially law students) would read it, as it's as quotable as some of the most classic TV shows, such as Seinfeld (or SpongeBob).
Daniel Montiel
Apr 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I re-read this last week; wanted to be sure it made it here. A very fun and funny book. It presents the law industry and senior partners as a bunch of terrifying monsters, and it's one of the funniest reads I've had in a long time. Told in blog posts and emails, it's also not a bad story. Covering the climb one lawyer has from partner to the top, it's a bigoted, insulting, stereotypical, elitist laugh, and I highly recommend it.
Sera
Nov 04, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, own, comedy
This is one of the funniest books that I have ever read. I'm not sure if non-lawyers would appreciate it, but I've never worked in a law firm before, and I was in stitches. The premise started as a blog by the author who later turned into a novel. It's about how much it sucks to work at a law firm and what he says has so much truth to it (based on what I've heard) that I really don't how so many people go that route of practice.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Double Billing: A Young Lawyer's Tale Of Greed, Sex, Lies, And The Pursuit Of A Swivel Chair
  • Dirty Blonde
  • The Case of the Restless Redhead (Perry Mason mystery)
  • Everything in Its Path