Start by marking “The Secret Servant (Gabriel Allon, #7)” as Want to Read:
The Secret Servant (Gabriel Allon, #7)

The Secret Servant

(Gabriel Allon #7)

A terrorist plot in London leads Israeli spy Gabriel Allon on a desperate search for a kidnapped woman, in a race against time that will compromise Allon’s own conscience—and life...

When last we encountered Gabriel Allon, the master art restorer and sometime officer of Israeli intelligence, he had just prevailed in his blood-soaked duel with Saudi terrorist financier Zizi
Published July 24th 2007 by Putnam Adult (first published July 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Servant, please sign up.
Asteropê Why are you asking everyone this? Wouldn't you and only you know the answer to this question?
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy by John le CarréThe Bourne Identity by Robert LudlumThe Spy Who Came In from the Cold by John le CarréThe Day of the Jackal by Frederick ForsythThe Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy
Best Spy Novels
1,031 books — 1,855 voters
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingEclipse by Stephenie MeyerA Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled HosseiniCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareThe Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
Best Books of 2007
900 books — 1,150 voters

More lists with this book...

Brian
Jan 27, 2019 rated it liked it
“Europe is receding quietly into history.”

Daniel Silva opens “The Secret Servant” with a first chapter that blisters a Europe that has mistaken capitulation to Islamic extremism as tolerance. It does not stop from there.
This is the 7th book in Silva’s Gabriel Allon series and the first one to take on the use of rendition and the role Egypt has played in the geopolitics of the Middle East. The text takes a hard look at the issues in that region of the world. As always in Siva’s books both sides a
Steve
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perfect page turner (and a gratifying installment in a solid series) for some over-the-pond travel. And, rather than getting bored with the series, I find it's growing on me (or, of course, the author is becoming more comfortable with his material ... or both). This one may not have been as informative as some of the others, and it lacks the heft of the holocaust-themed trilogy that anchors the first half-dozen books in the series, but (or conversely) I thought (possibly because it was a tad "li ...more
Dana Moison
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another great espionage novel by the legendary Daniel Silva, revolving the even more legendary character he'd created, Mossad agent Gabriel Allon! (I just LOVE this guy). I also appreciate Silva's standpoint in viewing and explaining to the readers the course of happenings in the middle east, and especially Israel. Can't wait to read more books in this series, which became one of my favorite reads.
Jean
Jan 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, espinonage
Daniel Silva writes this series about Gabriel Allon, a master art restorer and part- time Israeli intelligence agent. In this book Elizabeth Halton, the daughter of the American ambassador to England, is kidnapped. The story jumps around from Amsterdam to Germany to Denmark as he attempts to find and rescue Halton.

The book is well written and researched. I enjoyed the fact that Silva provides information about Islam, the Middle Eastern Politics and about being Jewish. The author attempts to pres
Maria Carmo
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
This new episode of the thrilling and terrifying life of Gabriel Allon completely pleased me: there was not only the excellent writing and the thrilling rhythm, but also true, solid feeling, good values such as loyalty and generosity, and the scope of the action was even more wide spread than in previous books. Gabriel lives in the permanent contradiction of being, at the same time, a killer and a saviour of sorts, always ready to give his own life, but to escape narrowly after a lot of persecut ...more
Les Aucoin
Nov 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: thrillers
My first Daniel Silva read was Portrait of a Spy. Enjoyed it so much, I couldn't wait to get into this one. The Secret Servant goes back a few years in the career of Gabriel Allon, Silva's art-restoring spy (what a combination!). I also noted that this work won the Publishers' Weekly Best Book of the Year award when it came out.

In terms of word craft, The Secret Servant did not disappoint. Silva has a command of the language that can, at its best, enthrall.

But by the time I got about halfway int
Christiana Moffa
Jan 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Espionage fans, as usual!
I don't know what number this is in the Gabriel Allon series (I think the 9th?), but like all the other books Daniel Silva writes it contains a great deal of information about Middle Eastern politics and the U.S / England's relationships with countries like Israel and Saudi Arabia. Though Jewish himself, Silva writes with the knowledge that certain political alignments will never garner the outcome desired in the region: PEACE.

For any of you looking to learn more, and to read fantastic spy novel
Jim A
Jul 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Second read for this one. Every bit as good the second time through as it was the first.
Yngvild
Feb 07, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: espionage
I pulled The Secret Servant out of the bargain bin of my local bookshop some months ago because it ticked all the boxes: Israeli spy story set in Amsterdam and London. It was downhill from there.

Daniel Silva’s weakness is a tendency to be didactic. That need to over-explain becomes problematic when it results in such gems as the “Zuiderkirk church”, which even spelled correctly translates as “South church church”, or “mackintosh raincoat”, which is a “raincoat raincoat”.

The history and politics
Maritere
Jun 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spy-fare
I'm addicted to Gabriel Allon... A hot, greying spy whose cover is as an uber-successful art restorer? How can I not? For someone with an odd affinity for spy novels and a deep love of Renaissance art, this charcter is quintessential.

This is not Silva's best book, but he has managed not to disappoint in the often-difficult task of developing his characters, "growing" them so to speak, as the series continues. I cannot wait for the next one!
Luan
Sep 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
I took a break from Silva's series and now I've back to it still pleased with the way the hero is not a superhuman and bad things happen to him. In fact, bad things happen to everyone which means that as a reader, even though this is a series, I'm not really sure if the kidnap victim gets saved. Silva's protagonist is a government secret ops worker for Israel. Even so, Silva presents both sides of the very difficult conflict that exist between the Israeli and Arab worlds. What he doesn't forget, ...more
Nancy
Nov 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another great book with Gabriel Allon, my favorite spy/art restorer. The theme of this book is very contemporary since it deals with terrorism and how terror groups recruit their members.

Incidentally, I have read this series out of order and I enjoyed it anyways.

Yigal Zur
Oct 14, 2018 rated it liked it
suprising plot. light read. ok
Nadim
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
The best gets better-another great adventure in Gabriel Allon series. Elizabeth Halton, daughter of the American ambassador, has been kidnapped by terrorists who called themselves sword of Allah. Their demand to release a prisoner in exchange for Elizabeth life. Gabriel Allon hurls himself into a desperate search for this missing woman. Gripping with a lot of action and twist.
Marc
Aug 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Secret Servant is a highly readable, well-constructed international spy thriller. Although it was published in 2007, the book's subject is radical Islamic terrorism in Europe, so it retains a "ripped from the headlines" feel in 2013. The writing is crisp and precise; the plotting is expertly crafted. The story is somewhat complicated, but never overly so, as the author handles its twists and turns smoothly. The pacing is consistently taut, and the suspense never lets up.

Daniel Silva frames t
Mel Ostrov
Aug 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Middle East Fiction/Nonfiction

This has got to be one of Daniel Silva's best in the Gabriel Allon series. Although well written,the predictable plot somewhat smacks of a potboiler. However, the expected conclusion of this story is overridden just by the excitement of getting there.
What makes this story stand out is its presently still timeliness in reference to the Islamic Jihad problem. Interspersed among numerous fast-paced short chapters are statements like "The Americans threw in their lo
Jacki (Julia Flyte)
Apr 04, 2015 rated it liked it
I'm working my way through the Gabriel Allon series. This is the 7th in the series and it feels very repetitive and formulaic, like a mash up of previous books. Once again we start with Gabriel Allon being sent to Europe to clean up after the death of an Israeli source. Once again he is identified almost immediately because he's possibly the most inept agent ever. Then it merges into a kidnap plot with elements of The Messenger and Allon proves useless at i) hostage negotiation and ii) rescue, b ...more
Tita
Mar 17, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: meus, livros-2009
É o 7º livro da série Allon e mais uma vez não desiludiu, apesar de existirem algumas diferenças em relação aos anteriores, como por exemplo o tema "arte" ter menos destaque, mas afinal, não nos podemos esquecer que Allon deixou de assumir o papel do restaurador de quadros.
Allon depara-se novamente com terrorristas e que o levam a viajar pela Europa, para tentar encontrar a filha do embaixador americano que foi raptada.
Allon vê-se a braços com um resgate que acabará no dia de Natal, em que porá
Jessica
Sep 13, 2007 rated it it was ok
Silva is the only one of this genre that I read and I love them. Silva and Christopher Buckley's Florance of Arabia are my main instructors on the Middle East today.

But this one was not my favorite. Dialogue was annoyingly cliched. Why does Silva always make the super Jewish spy rescue some well bred shiksa? Also found him more dogmatic than ever before. Can't deny it was a page-turner! After this, need something more edifying.
Nancy Brisson
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Secret Servant by Daniel Silva begins with a dead Jewish scholar, as Gabriel Allon books often do. Professor Solomon Rosner is “the first asset in the annals of Office history to have proven more useful to them dead than alive.” He is killed in Amsterdam in a normally a peaceful neighborhood. Rosner runs the Center for European Security Studies. “[T]he center had managed to produce a steady stream of authoritative reports and articles detailing the threat posed to the Netherlands by the rise ...more
Bruno
Este volume foi o que mais me custou a ler, eram vários serviços secretos (EUA, Britânico, Egípcio, Dinamarca) e os nomes árabes difíceis de fixar, e diversas localidades. Mas não deixou de ser interessante, muito bem estruturado e explicito, e ao mesmo tempo extremamente assustador que nos faz pensar no que pode acontecer na Europa. Ficamos a entender melhor e a saber porque é que os jihadistas matam pessoas inocentes ou são suicidas. Julgam que estão a fazer bem e que vão para céu.
A melhor pa
Karen Evankavitch
I am now obsessed with this series. They get better and better. I don't go in depth about the plots because so many reviewers do that for me. Love how you almost feel like you know the characters in real life!
Msjodi777
Mar 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, audiobook
This book really did not live up to previous books in the series. Story seemed to follow exactly the same lines as prior books, and included quite a bit of "preaching" against terrorist activities. Narrator was excellent, but all in all I was disappointed in the book.
Lindsay K. J.
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 ⭐. I can never get enough of Gabriel Allon ...more
Dylan
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another riveting installment featuring one of my favourite characters, the illustrious Gabriel Allon. As always, a fast-paced edge-of-your-seat political thriller.
Shivangi Yadav
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
What can I say about this series which I have not said earlier?
This is book 7 and the writer manages to weave one engrossing tale after another. Secret Servant is a page turner which keeps you on the edge till the last page.
Reinaldo Lourenço
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lidos-2016
Nao me considerando grande fã do Daniel Silva nao deixo de gostar de alguns dos seus livros.
Gostei bastante deste, talvez porque a componente de espionagem é bem menor.
Mas coitado do Gabriel Allon, está sempre a levar grandes enchertos de porrada :)
Em tempos deixei de comprar mais livros do Daniel Silva, porque nao tinha gostado muito do Confessor (o 1º que li dele), mas agora tenho de repensar esta decisão porque este era o meu ultimo livro dele e até se lêm bem :)
Nov 05, 2018 rated it liked it
This one fell flat for me. Not all that exciting and rather predictable.
Tal
Jun 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
"גבריאל לקח מידי נבות את הספר. ספר מתח קליל שאמור להיות טוב, חשב. נשמע נחמד, אבל הדברים האלה איכשהו אף פעם לא מסתדרים ככה..."

וזה באמת לא הסתדר. זה בהחלט ספר טוב ומהנה, שמכניס אותך אליו ואתה מוצא את עצמך עם קושי להפסיק לקרוא לפעמים. אבל, עלילה לא כל כך מפתיעה(מה שמפתיע זה מאיפה כל החומר נפץ הזה הגיע? נראה לי כיוון טוב לנסות להבין מאיפה זה הגיע, כי יש שם לא מעט חומרי נפץ), בהחלט מעלה כמה וכמה שאלות בנוגע ל"לאירופה המוסלמית" והתרחיש המתואר בהחלט לא עד כדי כך מופרך. אבל... בספר מתואר פיגוע בלונדון ו
Andrew
Jul 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio-book
NOTE: This review was written based on the Audio CD version.

Daniel Silva's "The Secret Servant" is the best "Book on Tape" that I have listened to in awhile. There have been times when I almost wish that my commute was longer or that we'd had some heavier traffic just so I could listen to more of the book each day!

Credit begins with Silva's novel - the pacing was fantastic. The mix between action and pauses, the characters & dialog, the overall plot were quite well done. I'll never know (no
Goodreads Librari...: Book Cover Help for 2 Titles 3 11 Jun 29, 2017 01:44PM
Ending 1 6 Oct 30, 2016 03:39PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #16 - The Secret Servant 1 2 May 01, 2015 05:40AM
  • Pursuit of Honor (Mitch Rapp, #12)
  • The Silent Man (John Wells, #3)
  • Pirate (Alexander Hawke, #3)
  • Foreign Influence (Scot Harvath, #9)
  • The Kingmaker (Sean Drummond, #3)
  • The Orpheus Deception (Agent Micah Dalton, #2)
  • The Runner
  • Old Boys (Paul Christopher #9)
  • The Assassin (Ryan Kealey, #2)
  • Shadow of Betrayal (Jonathan Quinn, #3)
Daniel Silva was born in Michigan in 1960 and raised in California where he received his BA from Fresno State. Silva began his writing career as a journalist for United Press International (UPI), traveling in the Middle East and covering the Iran-Iraq war, terrorism and political conflicts. From UPI he moved to CNN, where he eventually became executive producer of its Washington-based public polic ...more

Gabriel Allon (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • The Kill Artist (Gabriel Allon, #1)
  • The English Assassin (Gabriel Allon, #2)
  • The Confessor (Gabriel Allon, #3)
  • A Death in Vienna (Gabriel Allon, #4)
  • Prince of Fire (Gabriel Allon, #5)
  • The Messenger (Gabriel Allon, #6)
  • Moscow Rules (Gabriel Allon, #8)
  • The Defector (Gabriel Allon, #9)
  • The Rembrandt Affair (Gabriel Allon, #10)
  • Portrait of a Spy (Gabriel Allon, #11)
“I can be whoever you want me to be: CIA, FBI, DIA, an agency so fucking secret you've never heard of it before." -Gabriel Allon” 40 likes
“To Pakistan? Or Afghanistan? Or Wherever-the-fuck-istan?” 31 likes