Start by marking “The Messenger (Gabriel Allon, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Messenger (Gabriel Allon, #6)

The Messenger

(Gabriel Allon #6)

Gabriel Allon, art restorer and spy, has been widely acclaimed as one of the most fascinating characters in the genre and now he is about to face the greatest challenge of his life.
Allon is recovering from a grueling showdown with a Palestinian master terrorist, when a figure from his past arrives in Jerusalem. Monsignor Luigi Donati is the private secretary to His Holines
Published July 25th 2006 by G. P. Putnam's Sons (first published July 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Messenger, please sign up.
Anne Alden I also started in the middle of the series with "The English Girl". It was so good, that I bought the whole series and started at the beginning. If yo…moreI also started in the middle of the series with "The English Girl". It was so good, that I bought the whole series and started at the beginning. If you go to DanielSilva.com, select The Books, and you will find a listing in series order. I just love this series! Fast and furious, and very, very informative.
(less)

Start your review of The Messenger (Gabriel Allon, #6)
Brian
Nov 16, 2018 rated it liked it
“Sometimes it is better to give an opponent a small victory than suffer a devastating defeat yourself.”

“The Messenger” is # 6 in Mr. Silva’s Gabriel Allon series, out of 18 (currently) published. Although not as good as #s 4 & 5, it is still a good read and like most books in this series also raises some important issues. Within the first 60 pages Israeli spy (and art restorer) Gabriel Allon is at the Vatican to ward off a terrorist threat, and the novel, kicks into high gear from there.
One of t
Bill
This is book six of this series by Daniel Silva, and having read and enjoyed the previous five, I have to say that this is the best one yet.

For those of you who haven't read any of these, the main character is Gabriel Allon, master art restorer and Israeli assassin/spy. He has been at this for many years. In fact his first job was going after the Black September terrorists who carried out the Munich killings in 1972.

At the beginning of this book, Al-Qaeda terrorists, using suicide bombers and ro
Sean Peters
Mar 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Well, let's start by saying thank you to the members of my group " A Good Thriller".

Two weeks ago I asked them to pick my next read, I picked over twenty
authors many well known that I had not read.

So many recommendations from friends and members of the group.

When I started the book, I no it's a little too political for me, I like a good action thrillers, but is stared to build up into a really suspenseful thriller.

The pace built all the way though, with it become action packed,
gripping by the t
Steve
Feb 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
More of the same, and that's OK (if not more than OK). I'm slowly making my way through the series ... I started at the beginning, and now I'm about a third of the way through. At the rate I'm going (returning every now and then), it'll be years until I catch up to the author.

While my sense is that Silva is hitting (or has settled into) his stride with his protagonist, Gabriel Allon, I read this quickly because it was fun, the travelogue aspects continue to amuse me, and, most importantly, beca
Jim
Jun 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Gabriel Allon is, in my opinion, the most incredible secret agent since James Bond. He does it mostly without all the gimmicks that 007 has at his disposal, Allon and his colleagues at Israel's spy agency and the C.I.A. are faced with attacks on the Vatican and the Pope in THE MESSENGER by Daniel Silva (ISBN 978-0451221728, paperback, $9.99).

Allon, an art restorer of great repute (his cover occupation) and super spy, is called out of semi-retirement as an agent when a laptop computer belonging
Jacqie
Jul 25, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: didnt-finish
Didn't read much at all, actually. Maybe if I'd tried the first book in the series it would have worked better? But this was for a book club and I just dove in.

The Cold War they're-out-to-kill-us-all mentality of the bad guys (all Muslim, of course) and good guys didn't do it for me. Maybe this makes me no different than the appeasement policy proponents during WWII and I'm horribly, horribly naive. But I really didn't care for all the scare-mongering about Islam. I'm sure that Muslim terrorists
Susan Shipman
May 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I own The Gabriel Allon series for two reasons 1) they are exciting, intricate, well written and sometime heart stopping action regarding the best spy and assasin Israel has (who also happens to be a masterful artist that has forgone painting to restoring great Master's originals) and 2) Daniel Silva EDUCATES me on what is actually going on in the middle east. In the beginning of the series, not so much on the political arena but it starts with the attack on the Israeli athletes in 1972, but as ...more
Vi ~ Inkvotary
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it

Originally posted on Gone With The Books

When I started this thriller, I didn´t know that it was part of a series. And when I realized it, I was right in the middle of a tough but well written plot about agent Gabriel Allon, who has to do another dangerous job. The story starts right of with a deadly situation and the more I read, the more it felt kind of scary. Because almost everything that happened in this thriller is today – about ten years later – sad reality.

The Messenger London:

The setting goes from London an
Matt
Jan 31, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spy, fiction
Spy novels are meant to explore the moral gray areas that exist when you have state actors performing extralegal deeds which may individually be unethical or inhumane yet, when done in the interest of the safety of one’s country, becomes pseudo-sanctified. The great heroes of these stories are usually flawed because the reader is never completely sure that their actions are just. To me, this crisis of conscience is what makes spy novels fun to read.

Apparently, Daniel Silva thinks differently. Go
James
Apr 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Play it again Sam....
Tim
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Even with the abrupt ending, this is an outstanding story. Especially intriguing is the fact the U.S. consorts with the Saudi regime to its detriment for the benefit of oil. 10 of 10 stars
 ManOfLaBook.com
The Mes­senger by Daniel Silva is the sixth novel in the Gabriel Allon series. Allon is an Israeli agent who is more inter­ested in restor­ing works of art than the world of espionage.

When an al Qaeda oper­a­tive is killed inLon­don, some pho­tographs are found on his com­puter and the Israeli intel­li­gence sus­pects that the group is plan­ning a big attack aimed directly at theVatican.

Israeli agent Gabriel Allon finds him­self in a bat­tle of wits against dan­ger­ous men which takes him on a h
Ed
May 28, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Spy Story Lovers
Some reviewers compare Daniel Silva with John LeCarre. That is pure nonsense. In my mind only two currently producing authors can write a spy novel that is more than an adventure story: LeCarre and Alan Furst.

That said, "The Messenger" is a very good adventure tale. The story is well plotted, the characters familiar, the pace satisfying, the suspense binding, and the ending blindingly fast and exciting. I had a hard time putting the book down with about 100 pages to go.

On the down side, there is
Maria Carmo
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
I especially liked this book: besides all the thrilling adventure and cunning ability of Gabriel and his team, there are in this book clear experiences of loyalty, faith and trust that made me like it better that the ones simply centered on "plot".

Loved it and I am continuing reading this saga!

maria Carmo,

Lisbon 22 September 2016.
N.L. Brisson
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I seem to have summer fever. Instead of reading nonfiction with serious content, I have wandered back to lighter fare. Since I am of the firm conviction that even fiction that entertains is not necessarily cheerful and may even encompass some social commentary, my idea of a frivolous summer book may not be the same as yours. I often click on lists of summer reading suggestions that other people love to post online and their choices almost never conform with mine.

I had previously read two books
Daniel Kincaid
Nov 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
"The man with strawberry-blond hair stood and walked away. It was his first major undertaking as chief of Special Operations, and it had gone very well. He knew at that moment, however, that the killing would not end in Cannes, for the last thing he had seen as he walked away was Nadia al-Bakari, kneeling over the dead body of her father, screaming for revenge."

Gabriel Allon is summoned by his friend, Donnati, to the Vatican to inquire into a possible death threat to the Pope himself. But ev
Dick Reynolds
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The plot for this fast paced thriller takes the reader from an attempted assassination of the pope by Al-Qaeda terrorists to Washington, London, Paris, and Jerusalem, the last being the home of Israeli agent Gabriel Allon. Recognizing the global threat of such terrorism, the American president enlists the help of Israel to achieve a just revenge.
Allon, knowing with almost total certainty who the wealthy power brokers are, devises an intricate plan to lure the the wealthy masterminds from hidin
Edmond Gagnon
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'd read The Black Widow before this book, but it actually follows the Messenger. That wasn't a problem because the story stands well on its own and some of the names are familiar adding more to the story.
Gabriel Allon is supposed to be the Israeli intelligence officer who assassinated the terrorists known as Black September for their killing of Jewish Olympians during the Munich Olympics. The character is also a world renown art restorer.
The story is a good old fashioned spy thriller where th
Nadim
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Having read the first five books in the series, I can say this is the best one yet.
After the suicide bombing in the Vatican city which kills more than 700 people and attempts on Ari Sharon life, Allon along with CIA carry out a special operation to infiltrate vast netwrok of Jihad Incorporate, a terrorist financier linked to both bombing and attack on Shamron life.
Enjoyed it immensely.
S.
Oct 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
as the story began I thought Silva was going to take a step back and return to a lower-quality Dan Brown novel, but the action quickly left the Vatican and became a tight thriller. this is a good series and I'm enjoying being in the middle of it. 4/5 ...more
Nabarun
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My 4th Gabriel Allon/ Daniel Silva novel and 6th in the Allon series, this is just relentless creation and sustenance of suspense in this genre of spy thriller by Daniel Silva. Each book I finish, I keep thinking "how can he better this book". And every time I pick up the next Allon series, I am mesmerised , hooked and completely possessed by the book till I complete it! Hats off to Silva, he is just a master craftsman who can repeat the magic book after book.

You have to accept a few authors she
Oct 18, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5ish stars. Not as explosive as others but exciting all the same.
Jan
May 19, 2020 rated it liked it
The ‘accidental?’ death of an academic (and part-time recruiter for al-Qaeda) puts plans for an attack on the Vatican in the hands of the Israelis. Gabriel Allon, as succession planning is happening in Tel Aviv, is delegated to inform and assist. A brutal, bloody attack at the Vatican and search for the guilty as well as preventing future attacks leads to a clever terrorist and his fanatical banker. The terrorist has covered his tracks well; the only probable way to find him again (no photos or ...more
Jawahar Surti
Aug 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller-mystery
I have always enjoyed reading Daniel Silva's books - at least the ones I have read so far. There are certain things given and don't question them - like, the protagonists always end up what they were set out to do and you get the drift. But his story-telling is brilliant. The interests build up gradually and then it's like you don't want to put down the book! Reading is not always about philosophy, seriousness, literature... For me it's about enjoyment I get from what I am reading. And this book ...more
Richard Guerrero
Jan 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Another great book. I just cannot put these books down from this series. Great writing. The offer seems real good at displaying the Jewish spies/assassins attitude and personalities. No matter who they’re talking to they’re relentless and keep pushing. It reminds me in a previous book win Gabriel killed “the leopard“. He mentioned as Gabriel was pulling out his gun that he knew he was an Israel assassin because they come at you shooting and keep shooting all the way until they get to you. Relent ...more
rivka
Oct 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jewish
Matt
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I confess that this series is like candy to me. Can’t stop won’t stop.
Michael O'Donnell
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
a fascinating read. Israeli propaganda. At its literary best
Andrew Roosa
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Always fun reads.
Pat
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another Gabriel Allon thriller, an attack upon the Vatican and Pope, and of course, Allon was present. Put on the trail of the attackers, he finds terrorism linked to the Saudis and starts looking for the individual who is well hidden by an incredibly rich Saudi.
Goodreads Librari...: description of the book is not in English 1 19 Oct 21, 2018 12:49PM

• Daniel Silva Complete Series Reading Order
  • Relentless (Gray Man #10)
  • Daylight (Atlee Pine, #3)
  • Total Power (Mitch Rapp, #19)
  • The Sentinel (Jack Reacher, #25)
  • Near Dark (Scot Harvath #19)
  • The Law of Innocence (Mickey Haller, #7; Harry Bosch Universe #34)
  • Walk the Wire (Amos Decker, #6)
  • Fair Warning (Jack McEvoy, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #33)
  • The Outside Man (Matt Drake #2)
  • Shadow of the Dragon (Jack Ryan Universe #30)
  • The Kaiser's Web (Cotton Malone, #16)
  • All the Devils are Here (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #16)
  • Lethal Agent (Mitch Rapp, #18)
  • McGarvey: The World's Most Dangerous Assassin (Kirk McGarvey #25)
  • Full Black (Scot Harvath #10)
  • A Time for Mercy (Jake Brigance, #3)
  • The Evening and the Morning
Daniel Silva was born in Michigan in 1960 and raised in California where he received his BA from Fresno State. Silva began his writing career as a journalist for United Press International (UPI), traveling in the Middle East and covering the Iran-Iraq war, terrorism and political conflicts. From UPI he moved to CNN, where he eventually became executive producer of its Washington-based public polic ...more

Gabriel Allon (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • The Kill Artist (Gabriel Allon, #1)
  • The English Assassin (Gabriel Allon, #2)
  • The Confessor (Gabriel Allon, #3)
  • A Death in Vienna (Gabriel Allon, #4)
  • Prince of Fire (Gabriel Allon, #5)
  • The Secret Servant (Gabriel Allon, #7)
  • Moscow Rules (Gabriel Allon, #8)
  • The Defector (Gabriel Allon, #9)
  • The Rembrandt Affair (Gabriel Allon, #10)
  • Portrait of a Spy (Gabriel Allon, #11)