Start by marking “At the End of Words: A Daughter's Memoir” as Want to Read:
At the End of Words: A Daughter's Memoir

At the End of Words: A Daughter's Memoir

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  58 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Through raw journal entries and poems, Miriam Stone - now a college student - has created a stirring tribute to her late mother and a memorial to an extraordinary year of grief and self-discovery.

I turn back toward the street and catch her eye. I haven’t been accepted to school yet. She hasn’t announced her death yet. But in that glance is our first goodbye.

Miriam Stone’s
Published March 1st 2003 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about At the End of Words, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about At the End of Words

Shawn Bird
Jan 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those dealing with grief or know someone who is
This is a beautiful book. A memoir of the death by cancer and the legacy of the author's mother, it is a beautifully wrought portrait of grief and hope, loss and celebration. The power of the poetry is matched by the poetry of the prose.

"There are certain things that you don't know, things that should be said. Like how beautiful your death was. How simple, on top of its intricacies. Your decline poetic, your fight heroic, the love that poured from you and to you so astounding, it swelled even th
Olivia Johnson
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very heartwarming. Read it in like an hour
Kellie Wagner
Nov 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-lit-2011-2012
Miriam is a high school senior who is trying to find the perfect way to say goodbye to her dying mother. Maybe a blessing to have the opportunity to say goodbye, but a curse because how can you sum up everything you want to say in a goodbye?

Miriam writes poetry as a coping method for handling her mother's cancer. The book format goes back and forth between narrative and poetry to create a memoir. Not only is dealing with her mother's cancer a struggle but the idea of being left alone when all al
Nov 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
I just read this during Annie's nap. It's a quickie. Sad and beautiful and heartbreaking, poetic and memorable. A tribute to the author's mom, a short accounting of what the daughter went through as her mom lived the last stages of life with cancer and died. Reminded me of About Alice and No More Words : A Journal of My Mother, Anne Morrow Lindbergh, both of which I really liked. But again, tough to read without feeling heart-wrenching empathy.
Cat.
Nov 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A thin memoir written for teens by a teen, only 55 pages of poetry interspersed with monthly entries about her mother's death and the months that followed. It gives on hope for the future of the language to read such words written by young people.

Just Between Breaths

My heart stops.
I stare until

the breathing breaks.

I sleep beside her,
curled in jeans on the f
Giovanna
Apr 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is very sad but interesting. This book is about this girl Miriam, and her mother that has cancer and is dying from it. Miriam never thought her mother would die so she took it for granted you can say. Miriam loved her mother so much, she would tell her mother everything that would happen to her she would just tell her everything they were best friends. Miriam's mother died peacefully. Miriam was going to college now and she felt trapped because she couldn't tell her mother that she mad ...more
Kathy
May 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
At the ends of Words: A Daughter's Memoir is about a girl who her mom died of cancer. the girl was very close to her mother. It talked about many struggles she went through. It was in a form of a poem. And many memories about her mom.

I can make a text to text. I can make a text to text because this reminded me of my sisters keeper. They both had lost someone from cancer. they struggled alot.

I gave this book 4 stars because I thought it was a extremly good book the main character goes through
Isabel
Apr 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"Dying is as much a part of life as living."

Don't be deceived by the sadness, this is a wonderful book that celebrates both life and death. Anyone who has lost a parent can surely relate to this book. To all those who still have both parents, cherish the times you've spent with them.

Life is fragile so why do we not take better care of it?
Death is inevitable yet why do we act like it doesn't even exist?

I especially recommend this book to teenagers that their eyes be opened to such realities.
Michelle
Jun 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book helped me picture what my cousins have gone through over the past weeks/ months as their mother suffered from cancer and eventually died. I could just picture them in these exact moments. The book was very quick and easy to read, but I felt like I was sitting down with the author during some very intimate moments of her life. This young author is very brave. She is a blessing those of us trying to understand the loss of a mother.
Emily
Mar 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, poetry
Brief mention of sex.

Miriam's mother is dying of cancer while Miriam goes through the struggles of adolescence. These memoirs share the frustration, pain, and emptiness Miriam struggles with even after the death of her mother. Included are poems written by Miriam from her perspective and her mother's point of view according the Miriam.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
"Writing AT THE END OF WORDS: A DAUGHTER'S MEMOIR was never a choice for me, but a necessity," says Miriam Stone. "To surrender to words and the power of creativity was to allow myself to heal."

A freshman at Columbia when she began work on AT THE END OF WORDS, Miriam Stone was already a published writer before graduating from high school. Three of her poems, written when she was fifteen and sixtee
More about Miriam Stone...