Start by marking “Flight #116 Is Down!” as Want to Read:
Flight #116 Is Down!

Flight #116 Is Down!

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  2,519 Ratings  ·  195 Reviews
An award-winning dramatic thriller finds a young girl confronting her fears and making heroic efforts at the terrifying scene of a crashed 747.
Published July 1st 1997 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published March 1st 1992)

Feb 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
The students have been reading this for years. I've long recognized it as a book to pull students into reading. But I'd never taken it off the shelf until yesterday.

It is good! At first I was confused. The author begins by taking the readers into the thoughts and motivations of a lot of characters. I had a hard time keeping them separate. Then the plane crashed (<--not a spoiler) and I discovered I was already invested in the characters; I cared what happened: if they lived or died or what.

Fo
Hannah
May 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I loved the protagonists, Heidi and Patrick, and also the way Cooney perfectly captured the suspense and sense of heart-stopping horror and sick fascination that people feel when they come face to face with the scene of an accident. As a reader, Cooney managed to make me feel like I'm part of the confusion - at times experiencing the confusion and terror that the passengers experienced, and at times the adrenaline that the rescue workers felt.

By letting us meet different passengers as well as lo
Michael2134
Personal Response: I read the book Flight 116 is Down by Caroline B. Cooney. The book was a great book in my mind. Even though the cover gives the crash away it still surprised me. The book was written with great detail. The writer really makes it feel like the story and the crash was happening around the reader.

Plot: The book started out with a young boy named Patrick who was a seventeen year old who was a part of the junior first responder team. Patrick always dreamed about the time he will be
Nathan Togstad

Personal response:

This book was a cross between a book and a movie. It was trying so hard at both that it did not accomplish either. In the beginning, it was darting around following several families on the path to the plane. The background of one or two families would have worked out much better. The times given was the only information to keep things straight. Introducing characters took way too long for the information received. It took the author 200 pages to write a 100 page book.

Plot:

The
Nick Handrich
Jan 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Abdullah Faisal Chaudhry
A girl called Heidi Landseth is left home alone for a while whilst both her parents are in different countries for work reasons. One day a roaring sound fills the sky as a passenger jumbo jet crashes in her huge backyard. With the jet fuel leaking and sparks everywhere she is eager to evacuate the aircraft. However she realizes that the job is to big for one person (DUH) and calls 911. So when the emergency services arrive they are in a race against time to evacuate and send all victims to the h ...more
Melissa
Jun 14, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-adult
I should never have read this book. It probably contributed to my need to be prepared for outlandish emergency scenarios.
William Young
Sep 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Jackie
High School senior Patrick longs to put his training as an EMT to real use and sophomore Heidi longs for friends and to be useful in life. They both get their wish when a 747 crash lands onto Heidi's parent's estate outside of New York City. Her parents are out of town again and Heidi is first on the scene...she puts her well-focused instincts into high gear as she awaits rescue teams.

As the grisly night wears on with an icy rain and a foreboding nightfall, Heidi and Patrick give strength to on
Andrea
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen
I initially read this as a kid and remembered finding it very gripping and intense, though few details stood out in my mind (except that spoiled little $#!+ Darienne, I remembered her!). A few weeks ago, after randomly picking up another title by the same author, I got curious as to whether this one was as good as I remembered. Long story short: oh yeah. There are several POV characters, and most of them are by necessity only briefly sketched, but all come off as interesting and believable. The ...more
Tara
Jun 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-novels
I read this story as a child and later as an adult, and I enjoyed it both times. The book is about a teenage girl, Heidi, whose parents leave at home alone for the weekend while they take a trip. While they are gone an airplane crashes in their backyard! Heidi must decide whether or not she can face her fears and even death to save complete strangers. Through her experiences she learns about her own capabilities as well as how precious life is. I thought this story was suspenseful and thrilling. ...more
Cole
Sep 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Although flight #116 took me about one month to read, when I was reading it, it seemed as if the book was flying by. The book did start off a little slow for my liking but the tempo picked up right after the plane crash. The two main characters are well developed, and continue to develop throughout the book. Most of the other characters were well developed as well. The author really brought you into the story. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys drama and an upbeat tempo to their bo ...more
Kan Puttal
Sep 08, 2014 rated it liked it
8/9/14
pg1-26
In the first two chapters are very boring because it was just tell the reader about the setting. But it was also quiet interesting because there are many perspective to it.

14/9/14
pg27-50
There are more people in the story now. It's getting confusion. I want the plane to crash already.

21/9/14
Pg51-66
How the author describe the crash site is so good. I could see it, but the sentence has so many words in it so it was confusing.
Lydia Smiley
Dec 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book was good but you would get lost and confused during it. The author switch pint of views witch was creative but you would get lost with whose view the author was telling. I read this book for school and I wouldn't have grabbed it off one of the shelf's at the book store. Although if it wasn't confusing then I would of gave it 5 stars because it was a good book.
Kellee
I first read Flight #116 is Down as a preteen in middle school, but MAN! it holds up! The only things that stand out as different are the changes in the airport and no cell phones, but these things really do not change the impact of the story. I loved discussing it with one of my student lit circles/book clubs; we each devoured it because it was so suspenseful.
Elissa
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read this ages ago, but 1. I am intrigued by plane crashes, and 2. I enjoyed it when I was ~11 or so, so the 4-star rating is for nostalgia.
Rebecca Kittelson
Jul 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pre-goodreads
One of my favorite books in middle school!
Matthew F
May 15, 2017 rated it liked it
PERSONAL RESPONSE
Flight #116 is Down is a short, action filled, book with a twist of drama and love. This book seems unique and focuses on small details which makes it intriguing to read. Anything going on just leads up to the final result of the book. I enjoyed it because of the drama.

PLOT
This book starts off quite slow, relaying information about some main characters’
backgrounds. Though it tells the story of many, it mainly follows Heidi. Heidi is a 16-year-old girl who, according to her pa
Ellen D
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have a middle schooler and downloaded this book for her, then forgot it was in that youth category and read it. I kept reading all the character descriptions and lead-ins to the crash, hoping it would finally get there. Well, it did. And how. I loved the characters of Heidi and Patrick. They kept my attention throughout, as did little Teddie and Carly. The scene was so well described that I shivered for them and wanted to help carry blankets and stretchers. I may not tell my kiddo about this b ...more
Kim Mento
Jun 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: death, family, fire
As I started reading Flight #116 IS Down, I felt that the book was dated. Pagers and jazzercise really mad me want to drop the book. As I continued to read, I became invested in the variety of characters and the outcome of the plane crash (not a spoiler, it's the title). I really liked Heidi and wanted to help her with the struggles that she was facing.

This is one of the books on the 8th grade summer reading list, which is why I read it.

In our library on the summer reading shelf and F COONEY.
K Gale
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I liked it a lot but it was sad😭
Jessica Whitney
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I re-read this SO MANY times as a kid!! Exciting, a strong heroine. Just fantastic.
Joerg
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Can some one who has read the book have a conversation with me about the book because i'm doing a book project about the book and need to talk to someone email me at joergs2023@stu.dsd2.org
Cris
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good book that makes you reconsider how anyone would react to an emergency situation.
Adelle
May 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Another one of those exciting survival stories.
Cyndi
Jan 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Strong characters

Strong characters drove the story. However, there were lots of loose ends left unresolved. Interesting to see a tragedy through the eyes of a teenager.
Zeta Syanthis
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I probably should not have read this in 4th grade, but holy cow. >.<
Haley Lucas
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 8-15
I am so glad I read "The Face on the Milk Carton" because it led me to this book. Once again, Cooney does an excellent job at pulling the readers in immediately and having them invested in every character. I could not put it down and had to share it with my roommate who has to put up with my constant babbling about good books. This is a book I would hand to any teen that claims to not like reading or doesn't know where to start.

This is definitely a book I would keep in my classroom. Readers can
Levi Greening
Personal Response
I really enjoyed reading the book Flight #116 Is Down. The reason why I liked reading this book so much is because of the courage this main character has in this book. She didn't have to go save these people, but she did. In my eyes she is a hero. I also liked this book because it is fast paced and never gets old. If this was me I would be scared out of my mind. I would be thinking there is no way I can save all these people. But the main character did and she never gave up. I
Quazelle
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Intensely exciting.
review 1 3 Feb 27, 2014 10:03AM
flight 116 is down review 1 4 Feb 27, 2014 10:01AM
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. Teenage fiction: Plane crashes behind teen girl house (spoilerish)) [s] 3 44 Nov 05, 2011 08:42AM
did you think this book was a little hard to understand? 3 44 Aug 01, 2009 07:11AM
  • Snatched (Bloodwater Mysteries, #1)
  • The Mall
  • Stumptown Kid
  • The Third Eye
  • Dead-End Job
  • Someone Dies, Someone Lives (One Last Wish, #4)
  • Prom Date
  • Hurricane
  • Marilee (Sunfire, #9)
  • Olivia Kidney
  • Beware the Baby-Sitter (Sweet Valley High, #99)
  • The Window
Caroline Cooney knew in sixth grade that she wanted to be a writer when "the best teacher I ever had in my life" made writing her main focus. "He used to rip off covers from The New Yorker and pass them around and make us write a short story on whichever cover we got. I started writing then and never stopped!"
When her children were young, Caroline started writing books for young people -- with rem