Start by marking “Americas White Table” as Want to Read:
Americas White Table

Americas White Table

Illustrated by Mike Benny

The White Table is set in many mess halls as a symbol for and remembrance to service members fallen, missing, or held captive in the line of duty. Solitary and solemn, it is the table where no one will ever sit.

As a special gift to her Uncle John, Katie and her sisters are asked to help set the white table for dinner. As their mother explains the significance ofsit.

AsBenny

The
Published May 1st 2005 by Sleeping Bear Press

To ask other readers questions about Americas White Table, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Americas White Table

Start your review of Americas White Table
Emily W
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is very eye opening as to what veterans and their families go through. Not only does it give you an insight to what happened during world war two but it is a quick read with a higher reading level. This book overall evokes a lot of feelings through the wonderful description and experiences the author uses.
chrissy
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great book for really anyone to read who wants to learn more about the White Table tradition/honor for Veteran's Day. It may be a picture book, and those are commonly associated with only kids, but this could be helpful and enjoyed by whoever. I enjoyed the writing in this book and all of the symbolism that was consistently used throughout the story.
Kaitlyn Roberts
Nov 16, 2017 rated it liked it
This book made me see Veterans in a new way. I didn't know that Veterans had this table to represent their hard work and dedication to their service. It also gives you a insight on what happened in the book, it had a lot of imagery in the book, even without the pictures.
Debbie
Nov 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful, touching story about a tradition that honors all those who serve our country. It is a fitting read for Veteran's Day and a title that should be shared with children throughout the country.
Joyce Yattoni
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful picture book about the "White Table" symbolism/ceremony which honors all those servicemen across all branches of the military who have gone missing or were held captive and never made it back for chow. I recently just learned of this tradition/ceremony. My heartfelt thanks to all the brave servicemen who have and are willing to sacrifice for us.
Krissy Neddo
Jul 23, 2019 rated it liked it
For Veterans and Memorial Day or even MIA/POW day on 3rd Friday in September. This one might work for my 2nd-4th graders. A bit too long and detailed for K-1. Illustrations are muted and okay. Really wish they had worked a boy into the family dynamics.
Rebecca Caufman
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Moving story perfect for Veterans Day about how a family honored one of their loved ones on the holiday.
Dawn Fielder
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book not only does a good job talking about remembrance of fallen veterans, but also explains what a symbol is.
Lisa Houston
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Love, love, love this book! A great story about veterans that lost their lives for our freedoms.
Karen
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story is a compilation of many service stories of POW during the Vietnam War. This book represents every branch of the military. Please take a look at this book and never forget.
Susan Krafcheck
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Everyone should honor their Veterans. This picture book explains to children the history and significance of the table setting for no soldier. The POW, MIA, or even the fallen soldiers.
Mrs. Tongate
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Veterans Day/Memorial Day must read-aloud for all ages every year. Incredible picture book and an excellent gift book. #YouAreNotForgotten
Margaret Boling
11/10/2017 ** Evocative and heart-wrenching. Try reading it aloud during a live broadcast to 520 elementary students.
Morgan
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great class read for the week of Veteran's Day
Jessica Evans
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved everything about this book.
Nicole Scheu
Summary: This is a historical fiction story where a little white table symbolically represents the fallen,missing, and captive soldiers and remembrance and honor of those who serve in our Armed Forces to protect our freedom. This is an excellent book for Veteran's day.

Characteristics that support the genre: The story details accounts of what happened in the past during the Vietnam War. It could represent any war and the feelings of our country men and women.

Mentor writing traits:
Ideas-The aut
Sonya
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this to a group of students and I found it perfect to illustrate to young ones the meaning behind Veterans Day!
Marcia
Jan 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Grade level: 2-4
Personal Response: Many children today do not know there are still service people missing from all wars, not just the Vietnam War. This book is a remembrance to those POW/MIAs still missing and unaccounted for. It also gives hope to the families who wait. The little white table meant even more to Katie. She is the one who wrote this story for all Americans who proudly serve their country.
Evaluation: The entire book jacket illustrates the white table with its symbolic
Terri
Nov 07, 2011 rated it liked it
A mother explains to her daughter that the small table, set for one, that will sit empty during their Thanksgiving celebration is in honor of American soldiers who gave their lives serving their country. The tale explains each part of the place setting, from the size of the table to the black napkin, the red rose, to the lemon slice and salt on the white plate. Each symbol recognizes another aspect of sacrifice. While not of literary excellence, this volume explains the holiday in touching terms ...more
Samantha
May 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A young girl learns about the symbology of the White Table to honor MIA and POW soldiers. She also learns about her uncle's experience as a POW and works hard to honor him and his service to his country.

This is one of those picture books that gives you chills when you read it. The words to My Country 'Tis of Thee appear beneath text and mirror illustrations on select pages and the effect is very poetic and moving.

A highly recommended read for Memorial Day or Veterans Day.
Jenn
Nov 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This outstanding book was first introduced to me when I was subbing for a friend in her elementary library. As I read it I realized it was a picture book for all ages.

The focus of the book is about celebrating Veteran's Day by setting "the little white table." I am not sure of its accuracy (meaning if anyone else sits a white table) but the images and sentiment are so vivid.

A must read for everyone!
Suzan
Dec 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture
A wonderful picture book for all ages, and a good one to share on Veterans Day. The story made me tear up a couple of times, and I think it does an excellent job of teaching children about POW's and MIA's...a tiny glimpse of what they went through, that they should never be forgotten, and that we are truly indebted to our servicemen and women.

Kerri
A very touching picture book that could easily be used to introduce Veteran's Day activities at school or a Veteran's Day assignment. There is also some info in it about MIA/POW traditions. I really liked this and intend to use it in November with a lesson I do every year to honor the brave men and women who have served our country.
Kathy
Nov 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
I loved the symbolism in this book and it's a good way to show kids what Veterans and Memorial Day is all about. We put this in our library foyer with all the elements. People appreciated the visual.
Tag
Great book for children and adults to remember and respect those who gave their lives for our freedom. This is a must read in our home for Memorial Day & Veteran's Day. We go all out and actually set our own table to honor our military hero's. This book should be in every library, school and home.
Ande
Nov 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
We went to an assembly at my kids school and the kids read this beautiful book. We are military and this opened up my eyes to all the meanings of the things sent on the white tables I see on all the bases. What a beautiful tribute to our military.
Alice
Nov 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars-love-it
I had not idea what this book is about. I thought perhaps it was about Race (White table) but it is actually a Veterans Day/Memorial Day book.
It got me a little misty eyed. It is a tradition I think I would like to do...the white table for our MIA and POW!
Jessica
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great book. Will be using this with my students for Veteran's Day.
Shawna
Nov 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book about the history behind the tradition of setting a white table for Veteran's Day.
Pamela Powell
May 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
A fantastic book about a deeply moving military tradition. Appropriate for children but beautiful for adults as well.

• The Poppy Lady: Moina Belle Michael and Her Tribute to Veterans
  • Veteran's Day
  • A Paper Hug
  • The Wednesday Surprise
  • The Girl and the Wolf
  • Nine Elms (Kate Marshall, #1)
  • A Poem for Peter