Start by marking “Deadly Sanctuary” as Want to Read:
Deadly Sanctuary

Deadly Sanctuary (Kendall O'Dell #1)

3.48  ·  Rating details ·  2,518 Ratings  ·  279 Reviews
The first title in Sylvia Nobel's popular mystery series that features spirited, flame-haired reporter Kendall O'Dell. The author's trademark style is to produce exciting, well-written, edge-of-your-seat, adventures with "knock your socks off" surprise endings. Her judicious use of language and lack of graphic sex and violence make her novels suitable from teens to seniors ...more
Published April 28th 1998 by Nite Owl Books (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Deadly Sanctuary, please sign up.

boatierra Thanks for posting that. Sylvia happens to be the mother of a friend of mine so I'm glad to be updated on her stuff.

Veronica Rosa
Okay, I couldn't take it anymore. I got to about 30% and wanted to smack Kendall for being so dense. I figured out what was going on at the 22% mark and ugh! So I skipped to near the end and sure enough, my suspicions were correct... every single damn one of them.

The writing was okay, nothing amazing, but nothing cringe worthy for me. Honestly, I won't be continuing with the series because the characters were too over the top and unbelievable for me. And that's saying something when my first lov
LeeAnn
Feb 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Kendall O'Dell character spoke to me on so many levels. First as a working woman in the newspaper biz. Next with her attraction to cowboys! And finally her curiosity. This is a book I could not put down and was anxious to read the next in the series.

Sylvia Nobel has a talent for weaving an exciting mystery that builds in so many directions you think you have it figured, but it could go another way... She doesn't disappoint with her skill as a storyteller.

I have joined the Kendall O'Dell Fa
Mags
Feb 06, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Didn't really grab me. Some of the conclusions drawn were really bizarre given the information available to the reader. Of course, the conclusions the main character came to reasonably early on were the ones that came to fruition.
Glad it was free.
Paul
Mar 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the "mystery/thriller" genre, I do not enjoy new writers easily. Far too often, I am disappointed, sometimes even irritated, by the cliches and the recycled plots. But Sylvia Nobel's first novel in the Kendall O'Dell Mysteries was better than I might have expected.

Usual positive/negative dichotomy:
Positives: The narrator's voice is brilliant, a reminder of other writers I enjoy such as Charlaine Harris (Southern Vampire Detective series, a.k.a. Sookie Stackhouse) and Lee Childs (Jack Reacher)
Dorsi
Dec 31, 2010 rated it liked it
I would really like to give this one 3 1/2 stars. I will give it 3 since it doesn't merit 4. It was a decent, although completely predictable, story. It kept my attention throughout the story and I enjoyed the characters. The one thing about this book that really grated on my nerves was one of the characters, Ginger, kept saying "y'all." The annoying part about that is that she was always saying it to the main character...one person only. Y'all means you all or all of you. I could be wrong, but ...more
Denise
Sep 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh my goodness what a mess Kendall gets herself into in this first book of the Kendall O'Dell series. The book is good but the story is kind of slow but then at the end, WOW, not only does it pick up speed but what an ending!!!

Mystery lovers should love this book/series.
Brandi
Feb 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good book

I found myself reading this pretty fast. I'll definitely read the next one. I wish there was a little more character development for Dr Price but all in all, I enjoyed.
Imanurse55
Jan 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
It was a good book considering it was a free download for my Nook- As a mystery it kept my interest.
Book Him Danno
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An engaging murder mystery set in modern day Arizona with a newly transplanted news reporter as the heroine. As she delves into the unexpected disappearance of her predecessor she finds all is not as it appears in the small town. This is a well written book and the vivid scenery descriptions will make you feel like you are there. I enjoyed this book and would read other offerings by this author.

I have rated this book 4 stars.

I obtained this book from Amazon in Kindle format.
Shelly♥
The only thing that saved this book from 2 stars was the last 60 pages where things got a little interesting. Another Free ebook via BNs Free Friday's program. I tell you, series are not my thing - especially female detectives.

Anyway, Kendell O'Dell is an asthmatic relocating to Arizona due to health problems. She finds a job in a small town at a newspaper via connections of her father. The editor sends her out on special assignment. Her predecessor mysteriously disappeared. Can she discover wh
Stanley McShane
Mar 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Uh oh; know how some books you can just see what's going to happen and then, sure enough, it does? That's what happens with our heroine and her two suitors--the conundrum is in how she arrives at her choice. Still, in the meantime, you have Kendall O'Dell in Castle Valley, Arizona, relocated in part because of her asthma and on assignment at a local newspaper as an investigative reporter. I enjoyed for the most part her descriptions of the dry and hot southwest and having just spent my first win ...more
Sidna
Eight years ago when I lived in Las Vegas I met the author at a book signing. At the time she had written three books, which I purchased and she signed for me. I put them on the shelf and forgot about them until recently when my husband picked this one up and read it. He liked it so much that he promptly read the other two and encouraged me to read it. I enjoyed the book, but was surprised that he enjoyed it so much because it is a typical female amateur detective/romance.

Kendall O'Dell, the he
Dee Renee  Chesnut
Dec 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: readers of cozy mysteries; romances
Shelves: ebooks, 2011
This book was my Nook Free Friday selection for Dec 31, 2010, and it is no longer free. This is the first book in the Kendall O'Dell series. This Free Friday selection introduced me to a new author and new series in the mystery genre which I enjoy.

The stoy moved fast and was plotted well so that it held my attention. Kendall is hired as an investigative reporter; but her editor wants to keep her investigations secret so that she does not arouse antagonism from the local sheriff who no longer co
Donald Blum
Dec 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a sucker for journalism mystery adventure so chalk this one up to a guilty pleasure adding an extra star to the rating it likely deserves. Although this is no "Girl With the Dragon Tattoo", it is not easily dismissible as "just another writer solving a mystery" story, either. Kendall O'Dell is a three-dimensional character with feelings, flaws, and emotions. Perhaps I found her a bit too romantic, but hey, I'm a guy so maybe her two love interests actually were realistic under the circumstan ...more
Diane Ferbrache
Kendall O'Dell is a talented journalist looking for a quieter life when she takes a job at a small paper in a tiny town in Arizona. But when her editor assigns her to investigate the disappearance of her predecessor and to find out if the town's sheriff is involved, she finds herself in deeper than either of them expected. Kendall is a strong-willed woman and her determination to find out what really happened creates a story that will keep the reader on the edge of his/her seat.

Although some of
Elaine
Melissa
First, let me just say...as a Southerner, "Y'all" is PLURAL, not singular. It was misused dozens of times throughout the entire book and irritated me so badly that I quickly began to skim over any parts with Ginger speaking. Only once, near the end, was it used properly. This really detracted from my enjoyment of the book. My personal feeling is that if an author is going to take the time to write and have a book published, they had damn well better get it right.

Otherwise, I really enjoyed the s
Gary Sedivy
It was freebie, and you get what you pay for. Perhaps that's too harsh. It wasn't that bad. My main gripe is some of the characters spoke like Yosemite Sam or Gomer Pyle. Their speech patterns made me think that the writer was from New York or Philadelphia trying to imagine what people in the southwestern United States would sound like - 'hayseeds'. Just made her happier than pigs in slop to write them there words. Yessiree, Bob.
The mystery was what happened to the reporter whom she was replacin
Martha
Mar 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always love a murder mystery with a twist of crazy. Deadly Sanctuary was a free Amazon book I found on Bookbasset. The Arizona setting helped me escape the rain and drizzle outside my window. Kendall O'Dell takes a job at The Castle Valley Sun newspaper after leaving a boyfriend in Pennsylvania. Morton Tuggs assigns her the job of finding out what really happened to John Dexter. As Kendall meets people from the town she just happens to have 2 men interested her and trying to win her heart. She ...more
Heather Bailey
Jan 27, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am sorry, but this is honestly one of the worst books I have ever read. I still have about 25 pages left to read, but I felt the overwhelming need to come on here and vent about how bad of a book it is. The writing is so amateur, I feel like I have probably missed out on a huge amount of money, because if Sylvia Nobel was able to get this book published, then I could easily make a fortune being a writer. I have actually snickered to myself a couple of times, and re-read some lines because I wa ...more
Sarah Crawford
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kendall O'Dell has to move due to her breathing problems. She ends up moving into a desert-like area and gets a job on a local newspaper. That should have solved her health problems, but having someone trying to kill you doesn't help one's over-all health.

She falls for two different guys. She investigates a mystery about some young girls who turn up dead. She also discovers there seems to have been a cover-up by the law. She thinks she knows what is going on, but finds it's a whole lot worse tha
VLynch
Feb 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, thriller
This was a freebie from Kindle, and I am thrilled to have a new author to read. I really enjoyed Kendall O'Dell the main character, she was kinda of mess, unemployed and trying to clean up her mess. I love her character actually, all the characters were interesting. I am excited to find other books in this series and follow Kendall through more adventures. She made me laugh, and with a murder mystery that is not always easy. I recommend Deadly Sanctuary, I would have gladly paid full price for t ...more
Jill
Jan 06, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't know if I even should admit that I read this but it was my first "free" Kindle download. I was more excited to download for free than anything! Should have stuck with Jane Eyre. And the review made it sound safe. And it was safe although parts of the storyline were troubling...especially towards the end as the whole plot is revealed...twisted. I can't recommend that you read it although I did enjoy the suspense and the silly romance.
Rosemary Cantrell
This is a mystery set in small town Arizona - what happened to the reporter who disappeared? what about the two young girls found dead? why is evidence being lost by the sheriff? The young female reporter who takes a job on the local paper is handed the secret assignment to search for the answers in addition to covering her regular assignments. There were some elements that were pretty predictable - two handsome men both after young reporter, etc. Even so, it was pretty entertaining.
Julie
Dec 29, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a free download on the Kindle, so I thought I'd try it even though it appeared to be self-published. Unfortunately, I couldn't get past the amateurish writing - melodramatic language, too much use of "I" and "my" in the first person, dialogue tags gone wild, and a lot of dialogue in dialect. And who the heck doesn't recognize a wild pig as *a pig*? *sigh* This book is not for me.
Jan 02, 2011 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, series, ebooks
So I own a Nook now, and Barnes & Noble has the "Free Fridays" thing for Nook owners. This was the latest selection.
Linda
Jan 19, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It read like a bad "B" movie.
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
Didn't dislike this book, but just found it to be blah. I didn't really connect with the writing or the characters. Nothing bad, just nothing to get excited about either.
John S Roth
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Great Story

Kept me guessing until the very end! Spellbinding, humorous and endearing all at the same time; great story writing from Sylvia Noble makes this book a must read!
Nancy Moore
I enjoyed the development of the story but the main character was a little ditsy which did not match with detecting skills.
movie trailer 2 5 Sep 05, 2014 08:45AM
  • Dark Legacy
  • Heart of the Witch
  • Code Blue (Prescription for Trouble, #1)
  • County Line
  • Summer of Fire (Yellowstone, #1)
  • Chinatown Beat (A Detective Jack Yu Investigation #1)
  • The Hunt
  • Blood Ties (PI Julie Collins, #1)
  • Crush (Karen Vail #2)
  • Protector
  • The Phantom of Pemberley (Pride and Prejudice Murder Mystery #1)
  • Moscow Sting (Anna Resnikov, #2)
  • Listen
  • The Cruelest Cut (Detective Jack Murphy #1)
  • Silent Screams
  • Bone Rattler (Duncan McCallum, #1)
  • From the Ashes
  • A World I Never Made
Sylvia Nobel, a resident of Arizona since 1961, is the author of the best-selling Kendall O'Dell mystery series. She is also one of the producers of the new feature film Deadly Sanctuary, based on the first book in the series. The 5th book, Forbidden Entry has now been released. Her breathtaking descriptions of the Arizona desert illustrate her love affair with the state's unique beauty. Her main ...more
More about Sylvia Nobel...

Kendall O'Dell (5 books)
  • The Devil's Cradle (Kendall O'Dell #2)
  • Dark Moon Crossing (Kendall O'Dell Mystery series)
  • Seeds of Vengeance (Kendall O'Dell #4)
  • Forbidden Entry