Start by marking “Princess in the Spotlight (The Princess Diaries, #2)” as Want to Read:
Princess in the Spotlight (The Princess Diaries, #2)

Princess in the Spotlight (The Princess Diaries #2)

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  45,516 Ratings  ·  1,321 Reviews
Just when Mia thought she had the whole princess thing under control, things get out of hand, fast. First there’s an unexpected announcement from her mother. Then Grandmère arranges a national primetime interview for the brand-new crown princess of Genovia. On top of that, intriguing, exasperating letters from a secret admirer begin to arrive.

Before she even has the chance
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published November 13th 2007 by Listening Library (Audio) (first published June 26th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Princess in the Spotlight, please sign up.

The Dark Shadow That is something, I guess, all of us have been dying to know.... But the plot of the movie is also pretty good.... And this question will definitely…moreThat is something, I guess, all of us have been dying to know.... But the plot of the movie is also pretty good.... And this question will definitely be better answered by the makers of the movie and obviously the author herself. (less)

April (Aprilius Maximus)
May 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I AM LOVING THIS SERIES IT IS SO ADORABLE OMG
Jessica (priceiswong)
Sep 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
4.5 stars *reread
These books FLY by.. I JUST started this book and I feel like I haven't spent hardly any time reading it! While I still loved this book, I don't think it's AS good as the first, and I think it's closer to 4.5 stars.
Mia finally starts having to do more public Princess things like her big interview (man could you IMAGINE? I would have passed out probably..). In the first book she goes through a huge change finding out about being a princess.. this book has some really big changes
Shannon (leaninglights)
I simply adore these books. This one was equally as adorable as the first and I'm excited to get to the next one! I love Mia because she feels authentic to me - confused, unassuming and of course surprisingly intuitive. I really like how adults are portrayed in this series. They are in extraordinary circumstances but they are very real and flawed. I really can't say anything bad. Loved it all around! :)
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Reread on 4/29/15: I adore this series. All the 2001 pop culture references were pure gold. Can't wait to reread all the rest of the books as well!
Mayra Sigwalt
Feb 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Mia continua sendo uma personagem maravilhosa e tô amando acompanhá-la novamente! O proximo livro da série eu nunca li, então daqui pra frente só surpresas. Tô super empolgada!
Asha
Aug 14, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I still am not behind Mia and Lilly's friendship 100%. Also, I never realized how short a span these books cover. This one takes place only a month after Mia learns she's a princess. And she is still bemoaning her flat chestedness and height of 5'9. Come on, kiddo. It'll be okay.
Sophie
Wow, every time I re-read a Princess Diaries book, I just fall more and more in love with Mia. In A Royal Disaster, Mia has now come to terms with the fact that she is the sole heir to the Genovian throne, and is having daily princess lessons with her Grandmere to prepare for the upcoming visit to Genovia in December. She's also come to terms with her mother dating her algebra teacher, Mr Gianini. However, her mother being pregnant, and engaged, is a whole other thing entirely. On top of all thi ...more
Skinnerbox
Apr 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teenagers
Shelves: meg-c
This i very interesting book. I realy love M.C. books. I think she's very, very clever and modern. I realy like that Mia is a feminist;)
I luve Princess Diaries;)
Kristina
Jun 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I simply adore this series <3 I would love to have Mia as a friend ^^
MJ
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Emily (Obsessed Reader)
This was so much fun, as expected :)
Violante
Reading challenge 2016: #26 A book and its sequel (2/2)

I know this series isn't the best. It's kind of ridiculous and it's full of cliches. But the last book was fun. I don't know why this book bothered me so much. Maybe it wasn't the moment for this kind of story. Or maybe this second part was worse.

It's full of racism and misogyny.

*The protagonist thinks that Koreans can be racist to white people (spoiler: no, people of color can't be racist to their oppressors)

*They mention Donald Trump.
Susanna
Oct 29, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen
I've never liked the movies, but at least they cut out most of the unnecessary junk that fills these books. Are boyfriends and kissing really the most important things on the mind of the average 15-year-old girl?
Luana
First Read: April 2009
Jennifer (livresaddicted)
This series is so fun to listen to! I love that it's Anne Hathaway who does the narration. Mia is a very funny character and even if her reactions are too much I care about her. I'm glad I'm enjoying it even if it's so different than the movies.
Wilma Nordlander
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okej så bok nummer 2 var inte lika bra som ettan. Men bra ändå liksom
Nemo (The Moonlight Library)
This review was originally posted on Young Adult At Heart
I found the first Princess Diaries book pretty difficult to review. I think the diary aspect, although somewhat original and gimmicky at the time, really makes it hard to comment on the plot of the book. A lot of the book is introspection, so thankfully Mia’s a really likeable character.

The bonus for me here, and I think it’s why I rated it higher than it probably deserves, is Anne Hathaway’s mind-blowing performance of narrator. Her Mia i
Melissa Veras
After finishing the first book in the series, I needed to pick up the next one right away. And that I did. Sadly, I didn't enjoy this one as much as The Princess Diaries :/ It was still enjoyable and easy to read, funny at parts... but there were two thing that bothered me a lot:

One is Mia's memory. Or shall I call her Dory?

description

Well, yes, Dory, in fact I do have a problem. How can a person forget everything? Like, EVERYTHING. (view spoiler)
Brooke ♥booklife4life♥
At A Glance

Genre:
Young Adult; Chick lit; Romance
Love Triangle/Insta Love?: Slight Triangle.
Cliff Hanger: nope.

Ending: 8

Total: 8

In Dept

Best Part:
Mia's interview had me laughing!
Worst Part: I feel bad for Kenny
Thoughts Had: Oh no, that's gonna end badly; Yep, i was right; Poor Kenny!

Conclusion

Continuing the Series:
Recommending: yes

Short Review: Lily is still my favorit
Sarah Actually
Jul 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
It's not as good as the first but it's okay because Mia is still the best. I highly recommend listening to Rooney as a soundtrack to these books to fully maximize the nostalgia of watching lead singer Robert Schwartzman be a very hot if somewhat inaccurate depiction of Michael Moscovitz in the movie.
Sara Williams
There is a chapter in this book where author Meg Cabot describes FERGIE having a conversation with DONALD TRUMP. That's all I wanted to mention.

Nevertheless, this is definitely better than the first instalment in the series! Mia is becoming more mature.
Lotta
Nää kirjat on ihan parhaita!
Milka
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Deciding to reread this series has proved to be awesome so far.
Laura W
Jun 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just really enjoy these books in general. They're really fun books when you're in a reading rut that go by quickly and make you laugh. Quite honestly, this book took me an hour to read! This wasn't my favorite book (I liked the first one better) but if I have to read it to reread the series, then I shall!

I really loved Mia's voice and how the author made her seem so real and alive. Mia is just so dramatic and it's so humorous to read! She's sort of letting the whole princess thing settle in wh
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Aug 16, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, humour, fiction, 2008
While the storyline in this one isn't as fresh and exciting as the first one, it still holds solid and Mae hasn't yet changed much.

It takes place only days after the end of the previous book - I have a quibble with how fast everything moves, and how soon this could have happened - when Mia learns that her mum is pregnant with her algebra teacher's baby. They decide to get married on Halloween at City Hall and keep it quiet.

It's Mia herself who blurts out the news not just to her dad and Grandmot
Sabine
Feb 15, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The princess stuff isn't getting easier and to add to that, Mia is receiving letters from a secret admirer who may or may not be the boy she has had a crush on since she was six, her mom has just revealed she is pregnant with Mia's Algebra teacher, and her best friend has run off with her attractive, but small-town cousin who is visiting for her mom's wedding. What is a princess to do?

After reading the first book in this series I went to the library and just happened to see the rest of the books
Kendall • thegeekyyogi
I didn't think it was possible but I love Mia even more! I'm anxiously awaiting the third book to come in the mail so I can enjoy more princessy shenanigans.
Maura
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Well, as expected by the title, this was all about the main character, Princess Mia, being in the spotlight for being the ruler of a small European country called Genovia. This series, probably my favorite when I was younger really focuses on one problem for every book (usually reflected by the title) and just evolves around that. Unfortunately, that can lead to some choppy writing.

For example, in this book, a new character was introduced, but truly not introduced. He showed up with no introduct
Heather
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In my opinion, this book fell quite short to the first book in the series. It was still very enjoyable however I didnt care too much about the love triangle that was created. I was really hoping the mysterious character was the opposite of who it truly was. I love the pace of these books and can't wait to continue on in the series.
  • Stop in the Name of Pants! (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, #9)
  • You Know You Love Me (Gossip Girl, #2)
  • Dates, Double Dates and Big, Big Trouble (Ally's World, #2)
  • All But Alice (Alice, #4)
  • Blonde Ambition (A-List, #3)
  • Family Affairs (Secrets of My Hollywood Life, #3)
  • Spells & Sleeping Bags (Magic in Manhattan, #3)
  • Kitty Kitty (Bad Kitty, #2)
  • Mates, Dates, and Tempting Trouble (Mates, Dates, #8)
  • Making Waves (Angels Unlimited, #7)
  • The Second Summer of the Sisterhood (Sisterhood, #2)

More about Meg Cabot...

The Princess Diaries (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Princess Diaries (The Princess Diaries, #1)
  • Princess in Love (The Princess Diaries, #3)
  • Princess in Waiting (The Princess Diaries, #4)
  • Princess in Pink (The Princess Diaries, #5)
  • Princess in Training (The Princess Diaries, #6)
  • Party Princess (The Princess Diaries, #7)
  • Princess on the Brink (The Princess Diaries, #8)
  • Princess Mia (The Princess Diaries, #9)
  • Forever Princess (The Princess Diaries, #10)
  • Royal Wedding (The Princess Diaries, #11)

“Lilly: Mia, when I recognize a human soul crying out for self-actualization, I am powerless to stop myself. I must do what I can to see that that person’s dream is realized.
[Gee, I haven’t noticed Lilly doing all that much to help me realize my dream of
French-kissing her brother. But on the other hand, I have not exactly made that dream known to her.]”
6 likes
“And you know what? Maybe Michael didn’t write those notes. And maybe he doesn’t
think I’m the Josiest girl in school.But he thought I looked nice in my pink dress. And that’s all that matters to me.”
5 likes