Start by marking “Eleanor: Crown Jewel of Aquitaine, France, 1136” as Want to Read:
Eleanor: Crown Jewel of Aquitaine, France, 1136

Eleanor: Crown Jewel of Aquitaine, France, 1136

(The Royal Diaries)

Author of the best-selling Royal Diaries title, Cleopatra VII, Kristiana Gregory now takes readers to twelfth-century France and introduces Eleanor of Aquitaine, who becomes queen at age 15.

Fourteen-year-old Eleanor of Aquitaine lives in a castle in Poitier, France, with her father Count William of Aquitaine (son of William the Conqueror), and her 12-year-old sister Petron
Published September 1st 2002 by Scholastic (first published August 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Eleanor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eleanor

Madeline
I'm writing part of my term paper for Young Adult Literature on this book this semester, so I decided to review it here. It's not the best book of the series (although I remember liking it enough to own it), but it applies because my paper is about the Middle Ages as presented in young adult literature. Expect reviews of most of the other Royal Diaries books to follow, assuming I get around to it.

Through about 5th to 8th grade I was completely addicted to these books, and I'm pretty sure I read
Mar 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Children or pre-teens ages 10+
Eleanor is the daughter of Duke William X. Her mother and brother died only when she was eight. And so until her father dies, Eleanor is next in line to be the Duchess of Aquitaine.
During her father's reign, she writes in her diary, her thoughts,feelings,desires and longings as well as her adventures.

I liked this book a lot. There was a lot of grief and joy but it shows how you can be strong through the greatest of sorrows.
And how you can take control of your life when others try to.
Hilary
3.5 stars really: 3 stars from an adult perspective, probably 4 for the target audience (which I'd say is pre-teens).

I saw the series at the library and picked up this one first, as I'm relatively familiar with Eleanor of Aquitaine and wanted to see how it held up. This book covers about a year of her life when she was 13-14, the last year before her marriage to Louis Capet.

While Eleanor herself seems to obsess about trivial things - as do many people that age - there is a good amount of histori
Emily
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really really really enjoyed this book. Really well written in a way that it flowed and didn’t feel interrupted in the diary format. I was also constantly interested in finding out what would happen next. It is such an interesting time that I can’t even really imagine it seems like tales of legends. But there are people who come about from these historical people that are well known if you ever watched Robin Hood as a kid. Kind Richard and John for sure. I love seeing how it’s all connected. I ...more
Ana Mardoll
Dec 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ana-reviewed
Eleanor, Jewel of Aquitaine / 0-439-16484-2

Since my memorized history seems to gain larger gaps every year, I started this book with no real recollection of who, precisely, Eleanor was and I finally had to check the back of the book to find that - among other things - she was the mother of the famous Richard the Lionhearted and the infamous Prince John from the Robin Hood legends.

"Eleanor" does not, as a Royal Diary, disappoint. A princess with vast lands and holdings, she lives her life in rela
Megan
Jul 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Carrie Slager
Feb 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-borrowed
I’ve heard quite a bit about Eleanor of Aquitaine, but never actually knew much about her life and the times she lived in. Well, finally Kristiana Gregory has remedied that in a book aimed at kids 8-13. The early years of Eleanor are not quite as exciting as her later years, as we learn in the Historical Note, but it was nice to see things from her perspective.

I personally would have liked a little more description of daily life at the castle, but I can understand why Kristiana Gregory did not i
Rain
Feb 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Kristiana Gregory was able to bring Eleanor of Aquintaine to life similar to a typical teenager. Taking note of the historical significance during that period, and how a young girl of her prestige and circumstance was able to cope with all the events that she must regrettably undergo without warning. Not only that but also taking into account of her love of parties, jewelries, expensive and extravagant clothes, reading and her spoiled but strong characteristics.

Who says that women are fragile c
Kelsey Hanson
This one ranks somewhere in the middle for me as far as Royal Diaries go. It was interesting enough and Eleanor of Aquitaine is a very intriguing historical figure. She was educated, politically minded and bold in a time when women weren't allowed to be. She was given a lot of responsibility early on, but I feel like most of influential choices came after she was married. I think the book would have been more interesting if it would have started where the book ended.
Forever Young Adult
Graded By: Maria
Cover Story: Once Upon a Time
BFF Charm: Yay!
Swoonworthy Scale: 5 + 5 = 10??
Talky Talk: Alas! Earwax
Bonus Factors: Sisters, Age of Chivalry
Relationship Status: Courtly Love

Read the full book report here.
Kitty
Mar 22, 2017 rated it liked it
It wasn't quite as terrible as what I thought when I read the first bits, but there was still a lot of the typical "I'm a totally modern type girl stuck living this crappy medieval life" sort of thing. At least they didn't make Louis into a total monster, and it was rather cute how he and Eleanor met. Her constant "I know better than my father" was annoying though.
Ana
Jan 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Eleanor : Crown Jewel of Aquitaine written by Kristiana Gregory is about the life of Eleanor during 1136 to 1137. It covers the death of her father, her marrige to Louis the Younger,and her crowning as Queen of France. Elenor was very rich and very spoiled.
Lauren Craig
I loved this book when I was younger. It's so good!
Hannah
Wow, what a huge disappointment this was. I mean, coming off the heels of Lady of Palenque, being able to understand what I was reading was a welcome relief. But I had the same issue I had with Cleopatra VII: nothing really happened.

This is the second Kristiana Gregory book I’ve read in this series, and I’m noticing a pattern with her stories. She’s a very talented writer and her style is very flowing and easy to follow. But so far she’s written about two princesses who have very shallow persona
Lizzie
Jan 05, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010, reviewed
Eleanor: Crown Jewel of Aquitaine feels like a front: a way to teach kids "history", presented in the point-of-view of one of their own. I expected a little more creativity presented in the story than what I received. I perceived this even as a preteen, which is probably why I forgot all about Eleanor until I stumbled across it on Goodreads and was reminded of its existence.

Gregory is very careful to remain true to both the diary format and the ADD mindset of a fourteen-year-old girl. As a girl
Jinny
Jul 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Middle schoolers, historical fiction fans
Continuing my Royal Diaries nostalgic re-readathon, I have just finished this one on Eleanor. I actually don’t even remember if I read this particular one as a kid, though as an adult now, I find myself fascinated with Eleanor of Aquitaine’s life.

I think this book is a great way for kids to be introduced to this princess/queen. This book focuses on Eleanor’s life as a pre-teen. In this story, she is living happily with her father, the Duke of Aquitaine, and her younger sister Petra. The Duke of
Small Review
Originally posted on Small Review blog

3.5 stars.

This book is gross.

You know how sometimes you can read a historical fiction book and not really feel like you're IN the time period? Yeah, not this book.

Hats off to Kristiana Gregory because this lady nails the historical time period despite the thoroughly modern middle grade voice used for Eleanor (complete with groan-inducing "diary I must hide you in a clever place!" thoughts scattered throughout the book. I swear these diary book heroines spend
Alex Bluemel
Oct 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
For my book review of this semester I read a book by Kristiana Gregory which is known as Eleanor: Crown Jewel of Aquitaine. My thought on this book was that it is an awesome book to read as adventure and view of culture of her time. This story followed Joseph Campbell’s hero journey and of which three out of twelve steps which are steps are one: hero’s introduction into world, two: call to adventure, and six: tests, allies, and enemies.
Step one of the hero journey is the introduction of the her
Liralen
I discovered a whole slew of these at the library the other day -- bringing back memories! I was much more into the Dear America books than the Royal Diaries books when I was in the target age range, but I remember loving the books about Elizabeth I and Cleopatra VII.

This one interested me because, although I am waaay out of the age range for the series, I think Eleanor of Aquitaine was basically a BAMF (erm, excuse my language). I wanted to see what they'd done with her story here.

Unfortunately
Rachel
Jan 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
The reading challenge I'm taking on. Join me!

This book fulfills the challenge: "A book set in a different country" (France).

Actual Rating: 2.5 Stars

This is a sub-par entry in the otherwise excellent The Royal Diaries Series. Written by various authors, the series imagines a fictional diary of a real female figure of royalty as a child or preteen throughout history. In this book, Kristiana Gregory writes from the perspective of a 14 year-old Eleanor of Aquitaine.

The Pros: The experience of livin
Carlyn Brody
Nov 25, 2013 rated it liked it
The Scholastic Royal Diary series are fictional diaries of ancient royal women when they were teenagers at an exciting point in their lives. Eleanor of Aquitaine was a real person who lived in France from 1122-1204. She was the Queen of France from 1137-1152 and later became Queen of England from 1154-1204. Eleanor was the mother of King Richard I who was also known as Richard the lionheart who is connected with the Robin Hood legend.

Eleanor was the daughter of Duke William X who owned more Fre
Dylann
Dec 14, 2015 added it

Eleanor, Crown Jewel of Aquitaine By: Kristiana Gregory is Historical Fiction. It is about a girl named Eleanor and her grandmother gave her a Diary to write in. So the story is from her diary. One day Eleanor’s father went out for a while to go to the church to make an episode. But later everyone was wondering where he went, when they found him he was very angry and did not want to talk. He said the he wanted a new pope and he could not deal with the pope. So they got a new pope and set off ba
Tally
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Don't remember reading this when I was younger but am glad I have now. Perfect follow up to Mary, Queen of Scots diary - almost like a prequel since they are both in France.
Heather Gmiterek
Jan 27, 2017 rated it liked it
We do Classical Conversations with my kids for school, and Kairi loves the history sentence about Eleanor of Aquitaine and her son Richard the Lionhearted. Saw this at the library and thought it would be a fun read to create a picture of life in the middle ages and bring history to life. To show that Eleanor was actually a little girl, a real person and historical fiction has a way of making history fun.

This book was all about the younger years and I loved the way it described life in the middle
Sarah Crawford
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is another in the Royal Diaries series of books, this time dealing with Eleanor, a girl who later became Queen of two separate countries. In the novel, she has to deal with problems such as the possibility of being kidnapped and held for ransom, her father going on a pilgrimage from which he never returns, and living in physical conditions which are primitive by today's standards.

It's not a nice world that she grows up in, and her problems become more complicated when she's scheduled to ma
Mads
Jun 03, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2008, pre-2007, reread
Kelly
Feb 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: written-by-women
3.5 stars. If there's one entry in this series to convince you that being a princess and/or living in medieval times isn't all it's cracked up to be, this is it. From worms to kidnapping plots to fleas to getting married at fifteen, this is a good, hard (middle school hard, at least) look at what growing up as Eleanor of Aquitaine probably would have been like.

Not as thrilling as other diaries but not as boring either. Eleanor is somewhat relatable, but she doesn't jump off the page like Elizab
Rebecca
Apr 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Fourteen-year-old Eleanor is the oldest daughter of the Duke of Aquitaine, one of the most powerful men in France in 1136. Her father's only legitimate son died as a young child, leaving Eleanor, the oldest of his two daughters, next in line to inherit his lands, which are larger than those controlled by the King of France. Eleanor knows that because of her position, she will be married off in a strategic alliance. But what she would like is to marry for love, something that's completely impossi ...more
Valerie
Eleanor of Acquitaine - one of my most favorite royals.... so naturally I "had" to read this. I didn't feel like this was one of the better stories in this series, but was still entertaining. Eleanor was the daughter of Duke William X, granddaughter of William the Conqueror, and mother of Richard the Lionheart and King John. She was first married to Prince Louis VI, whom was more interested in attending to his hobby of locks, and reciting his prayers than he was in paying much attention to his w ...more
Cara
Thankfully, I enjoyed this book! Much better than many of the others I've read in this series.
I learned a lot about Eleanor from the epilogue, which is usually the part that I enjoy most from all the books in the series and they are usually the only part worth reading as well. But I didn't know that her family owned more land than the King of France at the time. Also didn't know that she would be Queen of two countries and that she was the mother to one of the most famous English Kings in histor
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Nzingha: Warrior Queen of Matamba, Angola, Africa, 1595
  • Lady of Ch'iao Kuo: Red Bird of the South, Southern China, A.D. 531
  • Kaiulani: The People's Princess, Hawaii, 1889
  • Anacaona: Golden Flower, Haiti, 1490
  • My Face to the Wind: The Diary of Sarah Jane Price, a Prairie Teacher (Dear America)
  • Love Thy Neighbor: The Tory Diary of Prudence Emerson (Dear America)
  • A Line in the Sand: The Alamo Diary of Lucinda Lawrence (Dear America)
  • A Coal Miner's Bride: The Diary of Anetka Kaminska, Lattimer, Pennsylvania, 1896 (Dear America)
Kristiana Gregory grew up in Manhattan Beach, California, two blocks from the ocean. She's always loved to make up stories [ask her family!], telling her younger siblings whoppers that would leave them wide-eyed and shivering. Her first rejection letter at age ten was for a poem she wrote in class when she was supposed to be doing a math assignment. She's had a myriad of odd jobs: telephone operat ...more

The Royal Diaries (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Elizabeth I: Red Rose of the House of Tudor, England, 1544
  • Cleopatra VII: Daughter of the Nile - 57 B.C.
  • Isabel: Jewel of Castilla, Spain, 1466