Start by marking “The Church at the End of the Twentieth Century: Including The Church Before the Watching World” as Want to Read:

"Does the church have a future in our generation? I believe the church is in real danger.... We are facing present pressures and a present and future manipulation which will be so overwhelming in the days to come that they will make the battles of the last forty years look like child's play." --Francis A. Schaeffer Today the pressures and battles Schaeffer predicted have ...more
Published December 1st 1994 by Crossway Books (first published January 1st 1970)

To ask other readers questions about The Church at the End of the Twentieth Century, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Church at the End of the Twentieth Century

Start your review of The Church at the End of the Twentieth Century: Including The Church Before the Watching World
John
Sep 23, 2013 rated it liked it
I came across a book in the "new books" shelf at the library today. It was a surprise, because it was a book I read a few years ago. But I saw that this was the "revised and updated" version.
I wonder how Francis A. Schaeffer would revise and update "The Church at the End of the Twentieth Century" (aside from the title) were he around to do so today, 43 years after it was written.
There would be some omissions, for certain. The sentence "Within 20 years we will be able to make the kinds of babies
Rod Innis
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book by Francis A. Schaeffer. It follows the earlier books in its emphasis on a personal God who is there and can be known and how to have a personal relationship with Him that will be eternal. It deals with some of the issues facing the visible church and how to deal with them. The two articles in the appendix are also very important and very good.
Paul
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An incredibly contemporary and relevant book to read today. Schaeffer was far-seeing and much of what he foresaw has come to pass. The crying need of the Church in the West is for both truth and love. There is a vital need as the church to be the community which people so desperately need to see - the greatest community of all, God's community, the Church.
Philip Brown
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First I've read of Schaeffer's material. I liked it. Amazing to consider this was written in 1970. He saw patterns in his own day and pretty much nailed the decade were are in now. Lots to think about as far as what it means to be faithfully Christian in 2019.
Joel
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Written in 1970, this book still rings true today. We have much to learn from the later Francis Schaeffer.
Joe
Apr 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Francis Schaeffer wrote this book in response to the question, what future is there for the institutional church, in the midst of a culture that has been cut loose from reason with no absolutes and in a society that is so easily manipulated.

The first couple chapters he talks about the roots of the student revelation and the international student revolution. In Chapter 1 he defines the difference between modern science and modern, modern science. Modern science was born out of Galileo, and his
Matt
Oct 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Matt by: Joe Raybell
Considering Schaeffer wrote this in 1970 it was way before it's time. I enjoyed reading this knowing that he wrote it so long ago and seeing where the church is now a decade into the 21st century. I should have written my review a while ago when I finished it so I can't remember much. He made a case for small groups or community groups which I think didn't really start to happen until the mid to late 80's when they were called "cell groups." Now, we call them community groups. The need is still ...more
Jesse
Oct 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
He saw it coming, he warned us. We didn't listen. That's a pretty good summary of a lot of Schaeffer's work, but this one has specific reference to the church and how we should've been prepared. I found particularly useful, the section on the manipulations that could happen. Looking back to when he was writing, it's easy to see how the manipulation is happening in culture currently. Check this book out.
Wade
Nov 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian-living
This book is surprisingly relevant for the church today. Schaeffer addresses very clearly how patriotic loyalty must never be equated with loyalty to God – when people put loyalty to America on the same level as loyalty to God that is idolatry and sin. He also treats problems of race relations very well (especially for a book written in 1985).
Bob Ladwig
Dec 11, 2010 rated it liked it
Good book on the position of the church in America and the need for revival. Schaeffer doesn't really put it like that and that is what was somewhat disapointing, I think it lacks a robust eschatology, pretty sure Schaeffer was pre-mil.
Mike Conroy
Apr 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was clear, concise, and timeless. I read part of it for 40 minutes in a McDonald’s and wept most of the times. I must have looked like I was reading some romance novel or something. I look forward to reading much more Schaeffer, but maybe just in my office.
Justin
This was a good read, it was another type of read that needs to be done like once a year or so. He is a good author that just loves people. He is a no-nonsense guy that goes after liberals but in a very tactful fashion. I cant wait to read his other books as well.
Douglas Wilson
May 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Excellent.
Mark Thomas
Thought provoking...points Christians the right way for how to be in a Post-Christian society..
Daniel Wild
Jun 05, 2019
Bill Odders
May 17, 2013
Steven
rated it did not like it
Jul 18, 2012
Bob Couchenour
Feb 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Total Truth: Liberating Christianity from its Cultural Captivity
Francis August Schaeffer was an American Evangelical Christian theologian, philosopher, and Presbyterian pastor. He is most famous for his writings and his establishment of the L'Abri community in Switzerland. Opposed to theological modernism, Schaeffer promoted a more historic Protestant faith and a presuppositional approach to Christian apologetics which he believed would answer the questions of ...more
“One of the greatest injustices we do to our young people is to ask them to be conservative. Christianity is not conservative, but revolutionary.” 69 likes